Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 24 reply threads

• Author

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Tom Brady reached agreement with the Buccaneers today on a four-year contract extension that voids to a one-year extension that locks him into Tampa through the 2022 season, sources tell ESPN.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Per Ian Rapoport
      The #Bucs have agreed to terms on a 1-year extension for QB Tom Brady, sources say, one that gives the Super Bowl champs some cap room and locks Brady in 2022.

• Welsh Buc

Participant

Cap room starting to take shape

• Pennywise

Participant

Frees up 19 million , they were 7 over , still not enough to get shaq ,gronk , Suh , possibly AB , and sign rookies

• Welsh Buc

Participant

Frees up 19 million , they were 7 over , still not enough to get shaq , Suh , possibly AB , and sign rookies

Going to take more than one move to free up that much space unfortunately.

Gronk will be close to what he made last year too

• m_j

Participant

wow!

well, if shaq wants to stay there will be no cap issues any more. smaller cap hit in 2021 + more guaranteed money should do it!

• Pennywise

Participant

Tom Pelissero
      @TomPelissero
      The belief is Tom Brady didn’t ask for a raise even after winning another Super Bowl. His original deal was two years, $50 million plus incentives. This tacks on another year through 2022, plus voidables designed to help the #Bucs’ cap and try to keep their core together

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Brady threw down the gauntlet here. He wants to win multiple rings with the Bucs. Going to be a fun ride the next few seasons!

• m_j

Participant

even offseason is fun in 2021 :-)

• SwarmingDefense

Participant

Going to be a lot more cap juggling. Evans and Marpet could convert bonuses etc.

It was looking like there was no way to keep most of the gang together. And now it is looking more than probable.

Fournette is gone.

Suh has made a fortune, I bet he takes a deep discount. Especially with all the terrible teams he’s played on.
      1 year 5 mil

Honestly I thought AB was definitely gone. But it really makes more sense for him to stay and play a full year and then try to take a big deal from a sucky team. 1 year 5 mil

Gronk will play here at a small discount. 2 year 14mil

Shaq will stay. BA & JL will move the money around to pay him. 4 year 70 mil

I’m interested to see if they sign people to two year deals because that’s when Brady‘s deal will be up

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Extend jensen/Smith next to free 10+ mil more.

Restructure evans, brate, free up 10+ more as well.

• Vance

Participant

I’ll never understand NFL money .the Saints can tag, sign there own FA back and it seem like they are not worried about retaining the roster from 2020 back and sign rookies. We on the other hand are under the cap and struggling..

• buc-in-out

Participant

I just can’t see how we justify paying Brate $6.5 million this year. Love the guy, he’s been great, good dude.. but he’s an easy cut for me this season.

Marpet’s already re-structured in October 2020, and I believe Evans re-structured in 2019.

If we can extend Godwin that’ll give us a little more breathing room.

• buc_boi

Participant

Jason licht just keeps on winning

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Greenberg exploiting the voidables and working some cap magic.

Needs to rework a few more deals, but I think he might actually pull this off.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Greenberg exploiting the voidables and working some cap magic.

Needs to rework a few more deals, but I think he might actually pull this off.

Converting a lot of the contract from base salary to bonus into a voidable year is freaking ingenious! Brady has a one-year voidable contract on his “two-year extension”. LVD has a three-year voidable contract on his “five-year extension”.

The fake contract year(s) idea is far more helpful than a backloaded contract because the team is required to pay up on a backloaded contract, but the fake contract just pays the bonus (as it’s spread over the entirety of the contract, including the fake years). This voidable model helps the team escape that possibility if they want to move on from a player.

Way to go, Greenberg! Great job on the Glazers’ retaining him during the GM turnover from Dom to Licht.

• Lawdy

Participant

just go ahead and start makin some room for the 3rd lombardi

• BucBalla85

Participant

Saw that he is the first ever starting qb to sign a second contract with the team? That can’t be right?!? Yet here I am scratching my head thinking it absolutely could be true lol!

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

Leading from the front, just as he always has done. So exciting as a Bucs fan to see a future full of hope at least for the next 2 years!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Glazers need to be willing to pay all that bonus money upfront, and to me, they seem more like the types who like to spread their payments out.

Not sure the specifics, but hopefully they see a ROI, and pony up some more dough for bonuses. A lot of problems can be fixed if they are willing to front that cash. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• RW

Participant

ROI?
        Tickets prices going up and a full stadium in 2021. the money is going to roll in.

• Pennywise

Participant

Tom Brady’s new contract with the #Bucs is another two-year, $50 million deal, but $41.075M is due in 2021 and just $8.925M in 2022, per source.

The deal once again includes postseason incentives, and there are three voidable years, lowering his cap number in 2021 to $9.075M

• Pennywise

Participant

The total cap savings in 2021 for Tampa Bay is $19.3M. That pushes $32M in dead money into future years, and the cash flow sets the stage for another new deal in 2022, since there’s no indication Brady is going anywhere.

• Pennywise

Participant

Bucs QB
      @TomBrady
      ‘s extension.

• $20 million to sign ($15M deferred to ’22).
      • $20 million roster bonus due this month.
      • $1.075 million ’21 base.
      • $8.925 million ’22 base.
      • $9 million in performance/playoff incentives.
      • ~$1.5 million kickers to RB if 17th game added.

And Tom Brady’s incentives in each year …

• $500K for playoffs.
      • $750K for WC win and 75% playtime or bye.
      • $1.25M for Divisional win and 75% p/t in ’21.
      • $1.75M for SB and 75% p/t in ’21.
      • $2.25M for Trophy and 75% p/t in ’21

• obuc

Participant

I dont see why they cant work a contract for Shaq like they did for David who will get 25 mil but only 3.5 against the cap this year.

Couldn’t they guarantee Shaq half of 60 mil for 3 years with a 4th year they could kill off (15 mil per year) but push 10 mil of the guaranteed into years 2-4 and you only use 5 mil in cap space for this year. Something like that.

• m_j

Participant

ok, all is clear now

tom plans to play two more years, that leaves us with 24 millions of dead cap when he retires. I’d expect him after 2022 to do the same as brees did after this season, “resign” and split that dead cap over two years and that’s it.

it is a lot of dead cap but it is worth another SB run, even if we do not make it that far!

• Welsh Buc

Participant

ok, all is clear now

tom plans to play two more years, that leaves us with 24 millions of dead cap when he retires. I’d expect him after 2022 to do the same as brees did after this season, “resign” and split that dead cap over two years and that’s it.

it is a lot of dead cap but it is worth another SB run, even if we do not make it that far!

2 super bowl runs hopefully – we won’t win both, maybe neither but it’s fun as hell

• m_j

Participant

agree 100%

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.