Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• rpc1978

Participant

1:  Mike Evans:  Based on how things were going I don’t think we had much choice.  Really wish JF and/or Teddy could have gone above us to push someone else down.  Damn you Buffalo for leap frogging us and stealing Sammy! I’m not thrilled with Evans but I understand it.  Lovie likes big receivers and put Marshall and Jeffrey together in Chicago.  Josh revitalized his career by tossing alley oops to those guys so Lovie takes that blue-print with him here.  I suppose V-jax is expensive and in his early thirties so at least we have a succession plan.2: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins:  Good size speed combo. I like the player but I didn't really view TE as a need so I was puzzled by the pick.  I must be in the minority here because many Buc fans seem excited about this guy. I like Tim Wright based on what he showed last year and feel he deserved a shot to start this year.  But  apparently ASF was the BPA for the Bucs at that point. I think our GM even said he "stuck out like a sore thumb" on their draft board when he was still available.  I suppose I can get behind this if Tedford is going to really feature the TE rather than him just being a safety valve/check down type guy.  For me personally though, it would have been difficult to pass on Marquise Lee.  I'm very surprised he wasn't taken in the 1st round.  I would have thought hard about Lamarcus Joyner there too.  3:  Charles Sims:  Much of my comments from #2 can be applied here.  Good player but don't we have more pressing issues?  I thought our biggest needs going into the weekend were WR, OG, QB and CB. In fact, you could make the case that we need to double up at WR and maybe even OG. RB is one of the few spots on the team where we already have depth.  I understand how teams want to stick with their draft boards  and focus on BPA. Nobody wants to reach.  But when you are so bad you are picking in the top 10 I don't think you can just ignore your needs and take the BPA every round.  If you are loaded like SF you can take BPA Carlos Hyde even though you have Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/James.  But for us RB is a luxury pick.  Why not experienced SEC OG Gabe Jackson here?  I guess if you look at his Cal days Tedford used multiple backs and utilized them in the passing game.  Sims is explosive and is a dual threat.  Best receiving back on the roster. New regime must not be enamored with James and Rainey.  5: Kadeem Edwards and Kevin Pamphile:  Meh...........These guys seem like projects to me.  From the comments I read its like we picked them for mainly for depth.  I've always viewed guys drafted in rds 1-3 as projected starters within their first two years in the league.  Mid rd guys should still have starting upside:early rd prospects that fell to mid rds due to injury or off the field concerns.  Late rd/undrafted guys are your depth/special teams/projects.  When you hear in the press conf our GM talk about projecting Pamphile as a swing tackle that doesn't get me excited.  We traded back into the 5th because we like this guy as a swing tackle? This is where we needed to take Aaron Murray or if we wanted to go OL why not one from a power conf like Yankey from Stanford?6: Robert Herron:  I don't have a problem with this one.  We needed a slot WR with speed and he fits the bill.  I might have taken one earlier but he is good value here, a mid rd prospect that fell a bit for some reason.  Question I'd like answered though:  a slot guy with his skill set should be a return man too yet he didn't really do that in college.  Can he pick that up in the pros?  because he'll need to contribute on special teams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem I have with Evans is he is no better than Mike Williams.  It’s Lovie’s fault Williams is gone, so he basically pissed away a first round pick just to replace what he already had.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I rate MW significantly lower than Evans.  I think MW was a fine #2, but not good enough to be a #1.  We’re expecting Evans to be a #1 within a couple of years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good analysis OP. I was on the opposite end. I was a big Evans fan but not a ASJ fan. The main thing is that we got 3 players that fit what Tedford is trying to do with our first 3 picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem I have with Evans is he is no better than Mike Williams.  It's Lovie's fault Williams is gone, so he basically pissed away a first round pick just to replace what he already had.

Lmfao.Adding to your dumb quote hall of fame I see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem I have with Evans is he is no better than Mike Williams.  It's Lovie's fault Williams is gone, so he basically pissed away a first round pick just to replace what he already had.

I would disagree with that.  Evans has a much better size & speed combo than Williams.  Both love the jump ball but when you watch their games Evans also has deceptive deep speed and can get behind the secondary on vertical routes.  He also can use his stiff arm and size to run through defensive backs after the catch and then show off his deep speed.  Watch his highlights he has several long catch and runs against top sec teams  Mike was strictly a horizontal possession guy who had nice hops but  couldnt do much after the catch: avg speed and elusiveness.  That is why Williams' ceiling is a #2(if his head is on straight) and Evans could eventually bump V-Jax.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can say that a team picking in the top 10 doesn’t have the luxury to pick BPA, but you will always be picking in the top 10 if you continue to draft for needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m really excited about both Mike Evans and ASJ. I fbelieve that with Gonzalez retiring we now have 3 of the top 5 receiving threats in the NFC South now. I’d rate them as follow. 1. Julio Jones2. Jimmy Graham (although guy's taken a beating)3. Vincent Jackson4. Mike Evans5. Austin Seferian Jenkins (This may be a stretch over Roddy, and Cooks deserve consideration here now too, but ASJ is a big time player)Really looking forward to this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can say that a team picking in the top 10 doesn't have the luxury to pick BPA, but you will always be picking in the top 10 if you continue to draft for needs.

its a balancing act.  i would never advocate reaching to fill a need over a clearly better player at another position who has a higher ceiling.  but if players have similar grades that is where you lean towards needs. IMO, to justify ASF and Sims they would have to be head and shoulders above the rest of our draft board and project to be stand out players at their positions. Are they?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Austin Seferian Jenkins was the top TE on the Bucs board according to Licht. When you look at guys who have success in the NFL, he fits the mold more than Ebron IMO. Compares very well to Gronk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Austin Seferian Jenkins was the top TE on the Bucs board according to Licht. When you look at guys who have success in the NFL, he fits the mold more than Ebron IMO. Compares very well to Gronk.

I can get behind the ASJ pick provided we feature him but I have more of an issue with Sims.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can get behind the ASF pick provided we feature him but I have more of an issue with Sims.

Bucs want to throw the ball. Don't understand why so many on this board have blinders on to that.(Thinking about the rambling we hear on the radio, I kind of understand)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just posted this on another thread but it applied:The more I think about the injury history at RB the more the Sims pick makes sense. Last year we relied so heavily on players coming off injury and none of them played up to expectations. Martin, James, and Demps all have to be considered injury risks at this point. It's very realistic one of them doesn't make it through camp and preseason without tweaking something. Not to mention that for a heavy looking to run a lot of RB screens and RB slats etc we majorly upgraded over James and Rainey. Still not sure there are enough balls to go around but it's a good problem to have. Now I know how it feels to be a Saints fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why do people keep saying ASF, its A-S-J.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why do people keep saying ASF, its A-S-J.

Been wondering that too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good analysis. My only thoughts are I don’t really see the need for CB help, I actually think we’re in good shape in he secondary. I’m more nervous about our safeties than corners haha!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm really excited about both Mike Evans and ASJ. I fbelieve that with Gonzalez retiring we now have 3 of the top 5 receiving threats in the NFC South now. I'd rate them as follow. 1. Julio Jones2. Jimmy Graham (although guy's taken a beating)3. Vincent Jackson4. Mike Evans5. Austin Seferian Jenkins (This may be a stretch over Roddy, and Cooks deserve consideration here now too, but ASJ is a big time player)Really looking forward to this year.

Did we forget about Roddy White and Greg Olsen?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1:  Mike Evans:  Based on how things were going I don't think we had much choice.  Really wish JF and/or Teddy could have gone above us to push someone else down.  Damn you Buffalo for leap frogging us and stealing Sammy! I'm not thrilled with Evans but I understand it.  Lovie likes big receivers and put Marshall and Jeffrey together in Chicago.  Josh revitalized his career by tossing alley oops to those guys so Lovie takes that blue-print with him here.  I suppose V-jax is expensive and in his early thirties so at least we have a succession plan.2: Austin Sefarian-Jenkins:  Good size speed combo. I like the player but I didn't really view TE as a need so I was puzzled by the pick.  I must be in the minority here because many Buc fans seem excited about this guy. I like Tim Wright based on what he showed last year and feel he deserved a shot to start this year.  But  apparently ASF was the BPA for the Bucs at that point. I think our GM even said he "stuck out like a sore thumb" on their draft board when he was still available.  I suppose I can get behind this if Tedford is going to really feature the TE rather than him just being a safety valve/check down type guy.  For me personally though, it would have been difficult to pass on Marquise Lee.  I'm very surprised he wasn't taken in the 1st round.  I would have thought hard about Lamarcus Joyner there too.  3:  Charles Sims:  Much of my comments from #2 can be applied here.  Good player but don't we have more pressing issues?  I thought our biggest needs going into the weekend were WR, OG, QB and CB. In fact, you could make the case that we need to double up at WR and maybe even OG. RB is one of the few spots on the team where we already have depth.  I understand how teams want to stick with their draft boards  and focus on BPA. Nobody wants to reach.  But when you are so bad you are picking in the top 10 I don't think you can just ignore your needs and take the BPA every round.  If you are loaded like SF you can take BPA Carlos Hyde even though you have Gore/Hunter/Lattimore/James.  But for us RB is a luxury pick.  Why not experienced SEC OG Gabe Jackson here?  I guess if you look at his Cal days Tedford used multiple backs and utilized them in the passing game.  Sims is explosive and is a dual threat.  Best receiving back on the roster. New regime must not be enamored with James and Rainey.  5: Kadeem Edwards and Kevin Pamphile:  Meh...........These guys seem like projects to me.  From the comments I read its like we picked them for mainly for depth.  I've always viewed guys drafted in rds 1-3 as projected starters within their first two years in the league.  Mid rd guys should still have starting upside:early rd prospects that fell to mid rds due to injury or off the field concerns.  Late rd/undrafted guys are your depth/special teams/projects.  When you hear in the press conf our GM talk about projecting Pamphile as a swing tackle that doesn't get me excited.  We traded back into the 5th because we like this guy as a swing tackle? This is where we needed to take Aaron Murray or if we wanted to go OL why not one from a power conf like Yankey from Stanford?6: Robert Herron:  I don't have a problem with this one.  We needed a slot WR with speed and he fits the bill.  I might have taken one earlier but he is good value here, a mid rd prospect that fell a bit for some reason.  Question I'd like answered though:  a slot guy with his skill set should be a return man too yet he didn't really do that in college.  Can he pick that up in the pros?  because he'll need to contribute on special teams.

I would like to see Charles Sims line up in the slot or motion to slot and get the guy in space with RB Martin in the backfield.  I think that would be a potential for a lethal package with ASJ, Evans, and Jackson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good analysis. My only thoughts are I don't really see the need for CB help, I actually think we're in good shape in he secondary. I'm more nervous about our safeties than corners haha!

question marks at CB.  We hope Banks as our #2 CB will live up to his billing. Is Mike Jenkins our #3 CB? he is a local guy and i'm glad we're giving him a shot but this is his third team in three years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Top 3: I think they were all BAP by our evaluation system.     My impression is Tedford wants guys who already have good hands. He apparently placed a premium on that. According to L&L, we drafted the 3 best pairs of hands in the draft. Mayock agrees.     Oh, and they all excel at blocking too.    Tedford probably threw up when he saw all the drops by Buc receivers over the last few years... ;D    Bottom 3: I think they were picked based more on need than BPA.    

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm really excited about both Mike Evans and ASJ. I fbelieve that with Gonzalez retiring we now have 3 of the top 5 receiving threats in the NFC South now. I'd rate them as follow. 1. Julio Jones2. Jimmy Graham (although guy's taken a beating)3. Vincent Jackson4. Mike Evans5. Austin Seferian Jenkins (This may be a stretch over Roddy, and Cooks deserve consideration here now too, but ASJ is a big time player)Really looking forward to this year.

Apparently, we also overrated VJax and presume way, way too much about ASJ anyways. I don't think he is gonna be an elite receiving TE, he's gonna be part of that second tier of guys because he isn't gonna split the seams like a Gonzo or Graham.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MARTIN is a back up, it was 1 good year now he’s toast, we need Sims to start. And now we have 2 PS linemen  I mean who picked these two?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans, tall, aggressive, great hands, plays with emotion.  ASJ , most complete TE in the draft IMO, great hands, aggressive, plays with emotion will be very very productive used correctlySims, big back with elite hands, will absolutely frighten defenses in the the red zone.Two olineman.  All the tools are there with both Edwards and Pamphile,  both need Warhops attention for an off season or so.  Big, aggressive, athletic and motivated.  There are no nice guys on this oline anymore and I like itHerron...  Fast, will not drop a ball when motivated.  Fearless, when not hurt.  Type of guy that plays up to his peers and his competition.  Look forward to seeing him vs Hawkins and Murphy in camp.Great draft.  No real question marks for me.  Our red zone offense will scare the crap out of everyone.  Especially if they can get to a no huddle inside the 20 -(My guess on an offensive twist with Tedford)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or Brandin Cooks who is going to be absolute murder in that Saints offense (as much as I hate to think about it). 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Expect a lot of single back double tight end formations.  With our personnel everyone is a mismatch in the passing game and opponents must respect the run.  #unstoppable

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tim Wright is not a starting caliber TE. He has good receiving skills, ditto the guy played WR in college he just isn’t an everydown player. ASJ blows him out the water when it comes to run blocking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Between Wright who is still developing, Myers and ASJ developing I can see some serious matchup problems for our opponents.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MARTIN is a back up, it was 1 good year now he's toast, we need Sims to start. And now we have 2 PS linemen  I mean who picked these two?

Lol....this is funny

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.