Breaking: NFL to hold ‘fully virtual’ draft

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Havok904
    Participant

Commissioner Roger Goodell informed all 32 NFL clubs that the 2020 NFL Draft would proceed in a fully virtual format in a memo sent out Monday obtained by NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

League and club facilities are set to remain closed indefinitely, to ensure the NFL is in compliance with current regulations due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and therefore clubs were advised to prepare to conduct the draft outside of their facilities.

Per NFL.com

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Havok904
    Participant

Team personnel were furthermore advised to be in separate locations, using phone and the internet to communicate.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

Expect a lot picks being traded for future picks.

LoL

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

Anybody who plays fantasy football already knows how to do this. But they’re going to get fifteen minutes and I only get three. I’d like to see how they handle the pressure when the seconds start beeping with 10 seconds to go. Beep beep beep. Nobody’s saying “come on guys hand me your card.” When the counter hits zero its over and you get auto picked. That’s pressure. Lets see how they deal with that.

But seriously I said this before, in a modern NFL draft these teams don’t send pages running from room to room with post-it notes with trade ideas. They are already sending out texts or computer messages of some sort. So how’s that going to change? OK well the GM didn’t used to have a mute button at his disposal if he didn’t like what his guys were saying.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Roy.
    BucBalla85
    Participant

Should be a memorable draft. Hope we draft well..

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...
    TCB2W!
    Participant

Anybody who plays fantasy football already knows how to do this. But they’re going to get fifteen minutes and I only get three. I’d like to see how they handle the pressure when the seconds start beeping with 10 seconds to go. Beep beep beep. Nobody’s saying “come on guys hand me your card.” When the counter hits zero its over and you get auto picked. That’s pressure. Lets see how they deal with that.

But seriously I said this before, in a modern NFL draft these teams don’t send pages running from room to room with post-it notes with trade ideas. They are already sending out texts or computer messages of some sort. So how’s that going to change? OK well the GM didn’t used to have a mute button at his disposal if he didn’t like what his guys were saying.

+2
    Please wait...

Actually per NFL draft rules, if they don’t turn in their card in time, the next team can submit their pick immediate and they drop down to the next draft position, and the clock starts again for them.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...
    Live4BUCS
    Participant

I have so many questions/curiosities about how this is going to work.
    Is the app going to be secure?
    Is the NFL sending people to all of their houses to set up the video stream?
    Is it really only coach and GM involved or where is the rest of the war room?
    What will the concept be – after each pick is made there’s usually a show presenting players with Jerseys/caps and all that. Would there be a video call or phone call between GM and player that the fans can see/watch? If not, what are they going to do to entertain us for 15mins for each pick.

I’m not complaining – just some thoughts i had.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    The Freeman
    Participant

when will the virtual training camp start?

+1
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is this really ‘breaking news’? I thought this was a foregone conclusion the second they stated the draft would happen on it’s scheduled date and the Vegas draft was off. Of course everything would be virtual at that point.

Anyway, it shouldn’t be that complicated and they have weeks to plan their attack for how they will meet and discuss things…

Just set up a Microsoft Teams group for each team or WebEx or something. Every company should be capable of being fully virtual at this point in time.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Microsoft Teams is the platform they will use, right? Microsoft is as big an NFL sponsor as I can think of.

This will be the highest rated NFL draft ever. I think it’s going to be pretty cool.

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

+2
    Please wait...

Actually per NFL draft rules, if they don’t turn in their card in time, the next team can submit their pick immediate and they drop down to the next draft position, and the clock starts again for them.

+3
    Rating: +2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Yes auto-draft is definitely worse unless you have set your pre-draft rankings. I imagine they don’t have to do that either. These guys get a whole war room of guys on Zoom to help them. The more I think about it these guys will have it a lot easier than us fantasy drafters.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Greattimes
    Participant

Woe is the team that experiences “Technical Difficulties”!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BP1
    Participant

Team personnel were furthermore advised to be in separate locations, using phone and the internet to communicate.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

So this means teams will not be able to have a war room? If teams are communicating on the internet then the Patriots are already trying to find a way to hack lol.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Redrum
    Participant

I’m just happy they aren’t delaying it. I’ve been looking forward to it for months.

+1
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.