Viewing 52 reply threads

• Author

• CaptainStagger

Participant

Excited about this pick up. Will be fun watching him grow under Tedford. Interesting article on him from Bleacher Report…..yeah yeah I know it’s Bleacher, but the article was a good read.http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1973976-2014-nfl-draft-wyoming-qb-brett-smith-sees-beyond-the-doubters

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Out of all the QBs in this year’s draft, Smith is the only one Tedford recruited while at Cal. This will be one to watch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love the pick up. But he has a long ways to go. His mechanics are terrible and he doesn’t go through progressions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s like getting Manziel without the circus and dooshbaggery…..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ll just say this… Todd McShay hates him. So he probably has a shot at developing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love this kid.  I was really excited when he declared back in December and I was pretty surprised he wasn’t drafted.  While he’s very raw, he actually showed improvement every year, and you could see him start to get it throughout the year.  He had a couple bad games against the better competition, but for the most part didn’t have any disastrous games like you see with some of these raw QBs. 

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Will be a nice player to stash on the practice squad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll just say this... Todd McShay hates him. So he probably has a shot at developing.

LOL, if McShayite or Kiper hates a player, it means he'll be All-Pro at some point in his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll just say this... Todd McShay hates him. So he probably has a shot at developing.

LOL, if McShayite or Kiper hates a player, it means he'll be All-Pro at some point in his career.

Exactly... two words: Andre Woodson. McShay swore he was a 1st round pick. Total shock he went in the 6th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jesus, how did this guy go undrafted?Pumped.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

perfect practice squad candidate

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very interesting…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he doesn't go through progressions.

Where did you read that? Maybe CBS is wrong but here it is...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825102/brett-smithSmith scans the field quickly, works through his reads and does an excellent job recognizing soft spots in coverage pre-snap.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where did you read that? Maybe CBS is wrong but here it is...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825102/brett-smithSmith scans the field quickly, works through his reads and does an excellent job recognizing soft spots in coverage pre-snap.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brett-smith?id=2550010

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really goofy looking release, not a real strong arm but can run and has some intangibles. PS guy, not much to get excited about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fix his throwing mechanics and he is much improved player IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree he’s a PS guy… more legit than Jordan Rodgers, but still a guy with low expectations. Still happy with the signing if what I’ve read is true. IIs this what Licht meant when he said they see potential franchise QB, just not where everyone else does? Or are they really, truly sold that Glennon is that. Either way I was expecting something different at the position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/brett-smith?id=2550010

The guy who wrote that profile is the same nitwit who wrote the profile on Herron in which I had to wonder if he was watching the wrong tape. So while I would consider Smith a finished product by any means, I also would take anything the profiler wrote all that seriously.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Intriguing prospecthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetTlu5FpFo#t=167

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn’t realize he’s that fast…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope this guy is still around by preseason.  I’m curious to see what he can do.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The nfl.com scouting report was written by Nolan Nawrocki, a guy known for extremely negative reports.  He was the one that attacked Geno Smith last year, and Cam Newton before his draft.Here's another article that has some glowing reviews from several scouts.  I'm not saying that it's all true, but it paints a much more positive picture.http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/uw-qb-brett-smith-might-reach-second-round-nfl-draft/article_41567962-2476-520d-88b3-0d02b43c204e.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://twitter.com/MattWaldman/statuses/439072632202596352Here's another twitter conversation between 3 draft "experts" that adds a little more insight.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great links mgchat. Really intriguing. Curious to see him get some playing time in pre-season.In 2-3 years, when McCown is done, this kid could be battling for a starting gig. You never know.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW, if you watch his tape, he goes through his progressions. The difference in the NFL, if they have him under center, will be be going through progressions as he drops back. Multi-tasking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wanted the Bucs to draft him in the sixth, seventh range. Glad we got him. JDub isn't a fan, so be prepared for a seventy six page thread arguing semantics about a guy who will most likely never hit the turf.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree about the weird release but he is a very interesting player… I think we only carry two QBs and so he should make the PS easy.  As far as progressions go, it seemed he was under pressure all the time on his highlight reel.  He feels pressure well, moves up in the pocket and can make the throws.  Definitely something strange about the release but it seems to work for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another 6th string QB that won’t ever see the field. Why even make these threads?Does every other fan base get this excited about UDFA QB's?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nice pickup as a UDFA. Not much mustard in those throws, needs to step into them a little better and I think he needs to work on anticipating routes and throwing his guys open.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From everything I’ve read, he possesses the intangibles. Perhaps the thought is that a few years under Tedford and he can be coached up. Honestly, I’d rather have a true competitor and leader of men who might lack the strength or refinement, than 6’6 245 QB with a rocket arm, that can’t lead his way out of a paper bag…cough cough I’m looking at you #5 cough cough.They call them intangibles for a reason, the rest can hopefully get coached into him......and a year or two in the weight room. Perfect QB project for Tedford and Aroyo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another 6th string QB that won't ever see the field. Why even make these threads?Does every other fan base get this excited about UDFA QB's?

The answer is yes they do and not they shouldn't. Smith won't be better than Kafka if you look at any history.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why even make these threads?

Have you not seen some of the threads here?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have… Between the “omg speed in space” and “draft Carr or garrappolo or Murray or mccarron and make him our franchise guy out of the 5th round or how about Kafka, Brett smith, Jared lorenzen HoF” threads I’m losing my mind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wanted the Bucs to draft him in the sixth, seventh range. Glad we got him. JDub isn't a fan, so be prepared for a seventy six page thread arguing semantics about a guy who will most likely never hit the turf.

JD disappeared yesterday when a lot of posters got on his case for being so negative and certain that Edwards will suck.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its a nice pick. Put him on the PS squad, and see how it works out.  If he is garbage, not much invested.  Its a gamble worth taking, IMO.And the young man gets a chance to develop and make a little coin. PS players make $6000 per week.  Some teams pay more than that. But that is the minimum. A few years back, the Bucs offered Dezmon Briscoe the league minimum for an active player, to go on the PS..A PS guy makes right around a 100K per season. A active player minimum is 400K. Not a bad living for these guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's pretty obvious what this thread is about. If you don't like the topic or the speculation on what Smith might be, then ignore the thread.Plenty of scouts see Smith as a project who might surprise a lot of people if he works hard. It looks like he'll get the time to develop with the Bucs and prove a lot of people wrong. If he gets cut right away, oh well. But for some of us, it will be fun to watch him progress, if he sticks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another 6th string QB that won't ever see the field. Why even make these threads?Does every other fan base get this excited about UDFA QB's?

The answer is yes they do and not they shouldn't. Smith won't be better than Kafka if you look at any history.

Others disagree. Nothing wrong with posting about this guy and his potential. It's not as if we have "the guy" on our roster right now.http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/13/2014-nfl-draft-brett-smith-sleeper2014 NFL draft: Wyoming’s Brett Smith turns heads at pro dayNFL DRAFT, NFL DRAFT 2014While the majority of top prospects are included in the combine, there are always a handful of players that slip through the cracks and don’t receive an invitation.The most notable absence from this year’s combine was Wyoming Cowboys quarterback Brett Smith.Smith is one of the most athletic signal-callers in this year’s draft, and many believe that he could be a late-round gem, but he needed to rely heavily on his pro day to impress teams after not being invited to Indianapolis.On Thursday, Smith did just that with a stellar performance at Wyoming, recording an “official” 4.51 40-yard dash and a broad jump of 10-foot-8 (via Benjamin Albright). He measured in at 6-foot-1 and 3/4 inches, with 10-inch hands.Smith has drawn comparisons to Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, and his ability to spin the ball downfield was on full display Thursday afternoon. Teams are certainly taking notice of Smith’s performance and he could once again be in the late-round discussion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another SI writer…http://nfl.si.com/2014/04/30/2014-nfl-draft-back-up-plans/This is the inherent risk in “waiting” on a position, as many have suggested teams do this season due to the abundance of receiver talent. Just because there are a lot of talented players out there does not mean that the value in Round 4 is equal to what is available in Round 1.In a lot of cases, though, the later-round prospect is still worth a shot.Early-round option: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&MBackup plan: Brett Smith, QB, WyomingPerhaps the most obvious — and certainly the most high-profile — comparison to be made in this draft class. Anyone who has paid even an iota of attention to the 2014 draft or the 2012-13 college football seasons knows Johnny Football’s story. Smith, who turned pro after his third year at Wyoming and then was snubbed from receiving a combine invite, is far more of an unknown quantity among the general fan population.And yet …“Wyoming QB Brett Smith is a more controlled and better version of Johnny Manziel IMO [in my opinion],” CBS draft guru Dane Brugler tweeted in late December, after Smith declared for the draft. “Terrific addition to this QB class.”Matt Waldman, author of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio and noted QB analyst, told ESPN Denver’s Cecil Lammey: “If you look at [Smith] and Johnny Manziel, and you took him [Smith] and put him in the Texas A&M offense, you might not have seen much of a discernible difference if at all.”Smith threw for nearly 3,400 yards last season, on a 5-7 Wyoming team. He also rushed for 571 yards and scored 20 TDs on the ground during his three NCAA years, hence some of the love for his mobility and quickness. Smith has a quick release on his throws, plus delivers the ball with confidence.Not everyone is quite as sold on him as a prospect (he fell outside Audibles’ top 100 ranking for the 2014 draft), and a lot of the doubt stems from mistakes he made repeatedly, both in reading defenses and from a mechanics standpoint. Whereas Manziel may be drafted to be a Week 1 rookie starter, Smith likely will be eased onto a roster as the No. 2 or 3 quarterback.His upside, however, might not be far below Manziel’s.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brett Smith

They signed him because Lovie thought he had a cool last name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Others disagree. Nothing wrong with posting about this guy and his potential. It's not as if we have "the guy" on our roster right now.http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/13/2014-nfl-draft-brett-smith-sleeper2014 NFL draft: Wyoming’s Brett Smith turns heads at pro dayNFL DRAFT, NFL DRAFT 2014While the majority of top prospects are included in the combine, there are always a handful of players that slip through the cracks and don’t receive an invitation.The most notable absence from this year’s combine was Wyoming Cowboys quarterback Brett Smith.Smith is one of the most athletic signal-callers in this year’s draft, and many believe that he could be a late-round gem, but he needed to rely heavily on his pro day to impress teams after not being invited to Indianapolis.On Thursday, Smith did just that with a stellar performance at Wyoming, recording an “official” 4.51 40-yard dash and a broad jump of 10-foot-8 (via Benjamin Albright). He measured in at 6-foot-1 and 3/4 inches, with 10-inch hands.Smith has drawn comparisons to Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, and his ability to spin the ball downfield was on full display Thursday afternoon. Teams are certainly taking notice of Smith’s performance and he could once again be in the late-round discussion.

Again, late round gems happen every year and every year 99% of them turn into nothing. There is a reason in a QB hungry league this dude went undrafted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith was a very productive QB in college.  There were rumblings that he and Wenning would be drafeed in the second day but since the tier 1 and tier 2 QB’s were pushed down it is no surprise he went undrafted.  Tedford and Arroyo emphasize throwing mechanics and Smith is a major project because of his putrid throwing mechanics.  I am interested in seeing what type of QB Smith is with a better throwing mechanics and Kafka is a reasonable benchmark for him to surpass if he is to stick on the roster IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, late round gems happen every year and every year 99% of them turn into nothing. There is a reason in a QB hungry league this dude went undrafted.

Do you actually think you're telling us something we don't know? So the **** what?Some saw him as 4th rounder at some point and some think he has a chance to become a starter in a few years. Or, maybe he's out of the NFL in a year or two.It will be fun for some of us to watch his progress if he stays with the team. And others, such as yourself, can ignore threads like this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith was a very productive QB in college.  There were rumblings that he and Wenning would be drafeed in the second day but since the tier 1 and tier 2 QB's were pushed down it is no surprise he went undrafted.  Tedford and Arroyo emphasize throwing mechanics and Smith is a major project because of his putrid throwing mechanics.  I am interested in seeing what type of QB Smith is with a better throwing mechanics and Kafka is a reasonable benchmark for him to surpass if he is to stick on the roster IMO.

Listen, Dalbuc forbids you from having any interest in this kid. So, stop it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did our QB coach, coach him in college?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did our QB coach, coach him in college?

No, Smith arrived at Wyoming the year after Arroyo left; however, Arroyo probably had hand in recruiting him to Wyoming before he left.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes every city has a select few of what we like to call "fans", these so called "fans" are "fanatical" about their local sports team. What do these "fans" like to do about their "fandom"? Usually it will include gathering online on websites and message boards to discuss the teams they are "fans" of. Now for those uninformed few, the quarterback is widely thought of as the most important position on these teams. So no matter the level of talent it is customary for these "fans" to discuss the options they have at the most important position on the team, especially if a new player at said position is acquired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A friend of mine is a Wyoming and Bronco fan.  Before the draft, the odds of the Bucs bringing in 2 Wyoming players were probably a million to one. But good luck to them both, I hope they stick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A friend of mine is a Wyoming and Bronco fan.  Before the draft, the odds of the Bucs bringing in 2 Wyoming players were probably a million to one. But good luck to them both, I hope they stick.

There were only three 3 Wyoming players in the draft and the Bucs got two of them.  The third was a safety that went to the Titans.  I liked the Herron pick and I'm curious to see what Smith can do.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There were only three 3 Wyoming players in the draft and the Bucs got two of them.  The third was a safety that went to the Titans.  I liked the Herron pick and I'm curious to see what Smith can do.

On a related note, the Longhorns had zero players drafted. WTH happened to that program?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes every city has a select few of what we like to call "fans", these so called "fans" are "fanatical" about their local sports team. What do these "fans" like to do about their "fandom"? Usually it will include gathering online on websites and message boards to discuss the teams they are "fans" of. Now for those uninformed few, the quarterback is widely thought of as the most important position on these teams. So no matter the level of talent it is customary for these "fans" to discuss the options they have at the most important position on the team, especially if a new player at said position is acquired.

Classic.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On a related note, the Longhorns had zero players drafted. WTH happened to that program?

First time since 1937.  77 Years.  They had 7 players in this years draft.  I thought Jackson Jeffcoat was gong to get drafted late but he didn't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First time since 1937.  77 Years.  They had 7 players in this years draft.  I thought Jackson Jeffcoat was gong to get drafted late but he didn't.

Great pedigree, not so great production.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

They will be back on track shortly with Charlie Strong.

Please wait…

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.