Thursday, June 20, 2019

Brian Burns

This topic contains 62 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Cerious Apr. 19, 2019 at 1:45 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Schianoismyhero
    Participant

Oh he plays for FSU? Oh ok… cool.

I’m sure there will be plenty of objectivity in his assessment.

+1
    Rating: -7. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...

DonkeyHunter
    Participant

reliable sources,? Voices in your head?

You gotta admit, the “reliable sources” part IS comical.

+3
    Rating: 0. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

GameTime
    Participant

Is this another mah sources?

+6
    Rating: +6. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Defense5599
    Participant

If he’s the pick at 5, we’re in big trouble

+4
    Rating: +1. From 7 votes.
    Please wait...

nolebuc907
    Participant

Overrated overhyped Nole. He obviously has an agent who is a genius.

We get it you are a gator fan. Probably still think Vea was a better pickup than Derwin. Yes Burns is a reach at 5 but he’s got the best bend in the class and great technique. If the Bucs traded down to 12-13 he would be an excellent addition.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

GoldsonAges
    Participant

I don’t have the time to look at these players like I used to, but the little I saw of Burns he was getting stymied on a high percentage of plays. That’s a concern.

To me, he’s not a top 10 talent. Well, Leonard Floyd was a top 10 pick, and a pretty good comp too. Floyd had the same late buzz, is very similar nearly the same weight and he has 15 sacks in 3 years in Chicago.

+2
    Rating: 0. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

GottaJaboo wrote:
    (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
    Update - UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

Nobody
    Participant

Burns had more Pressures than any Power 5 C0nference Defender in the country.

A ridiculous 5.75 Per Game!

More than:

Quinnen Williams

Josh Allen

Jachai Polite

Nick Bosa (obviously because he didn’t play enough)

Chase Winovich

Montez Sweat

Jeffrey Simmons

More than all of them.

His snap anticipation/reaction time, acceleration, speed rush, edge bend, and change-of-direction are all elite.  This creates a devasting Speed Rush.

He developed, and deployed, a devastating inside counter in a Spin Move.

His measurables at the combine were 97th percentile all time for Edge defenders…where he weighed in at 250 (so he proved he can play at that weight).

His frame/length is absolutely perfect as an edge player.

He’s shown that he can play in space and cover Curl/Flat.

He clearly loves football and has a good football IQ.

High motor.

His ceiling isn’t even remotely tapped at this point (once he learns to better use of his hands, Slab>Rip/Arm-Over/Push>Pull he should be an absolutely devastating pass rusher…he’s already a hugely productive one given those absurd Pressure numbers).

Burns or Oliver at 5 would be a-ok with me.  A minor trade down of a few spots and accruing a 2nd or 3rd and picking one of them up would be even better.

+9
    Rating: +9. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...

skipper
    Participant

Tundra,
    The Gators have the top rated offensive tackle in this draft what are you talking about with the Gator O’line?

+4
    Rating: +4. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

LIBucsFan93
    Participant

This would be a typical Bucs pick IMO. They are gambling at QB with Winston and no back-up plan. They are gambling in the Secondary with Hargraves and Davis. They are gambling that new coaches will suddenly make the OL better.

Why not gamble on taking the 4th or 5th ranked Edge rusher at #5. Makes total sense.

+1
    Rating: -2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

My issue with Burns has nothing to do with being a Gator. I was totally against the Hargreaves selection two years ago and I am a Jameis Winston fan. Don’t give a shit where someone went to college. Can they play ball at the NFL level?

I watched the Gators handle Burns with ease. If he can’t get more than 2 tackles against the Gators, who thinks he’ll be able to tackle the stud RBs in the NFC South? He got zero sacke against Flippy Franks. So he’s going to suddenly turn it on when he sees Drew Brees? Please. Gumby could bend too. He’s a mid second rounder at best.

I cant find Burns vs Fl 2018 game, but in his 2017 game vs FL, heres in the first minute of the video on the first 4 passing plays of the game

1) left side – Burns deflects the pass
    2) left side – double teamed and QB rolls away from Burns
    3) right side -in shallow coverage and play quickly goes to the opposite side
    4) right side – Dominates the LT, hits the QB causing fumble that they scoop up and score a TD on.

Thats literally the first 4 passing plays of the game. havent watched a single play past that but im betting he doesnt just fall asleep after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2el6hM3Uw74

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

This would be a typical Bucs pick IMO. They are gambling at QB with Winston and no back-up plan. They are gambling in the Secondary with Hargraves and Davis. They are gambling that new coaches will suddenly make the OL better.

Why not gamble on taking the 4th or 5th ranked Edge rusher at #5. Makes total sense.

He isn’t remotely the 4th or 5th ranked Edge rusher.

What does that even mean? Ranked?

Look at what I wrote above. Who do you have ranked above him? Sweat? Just watch 4 game tapes of Sweat (it’s out there and readily available). Watch the same with Burns. A 40 minute investment each.

There is no way you can come out of that thinking Sweat is s better football player than Burns. Not s higher floor. Not a higher ceiling. Burns is better than Sweat in every way. And his ceiling is higher.

Allen, Ferguson, Winovich, and Polite are the only guys in the Burns conversation in terms of tape and production. Polite’s brain imploded in the off-season, Ferguson’s floor is huge but Burns ceiling is certainly higher, and Winovich is a slightly different player (with a lower ceiling).

The only guy who is clearly ahead of Burns as an Edge player is Allen, but Burns ceiling as a straight Edge pass rusher may be higher than Allen.

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

yea I agree with Nobody and Pennywise on Burns. I have him as top 5 talent. in the mix for highest potential among all defensive players in the draft.

Bosa, Allen, Oliver, Q.Williams, Burns is my exact top 5

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

yea I agree with Nobody and Pennywise on Burns. I have him as top 5 talent. in the mix for highest potential among all defensive players in the draft.

Yup. That’s my top 5.

And a not insignificant drop-off after that.

After those guys, I’d want a trade down to 15 (a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and give back a 5th) and Bradbury/Taylor/Ford/Williams as the pick.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

Yup. That’s my top 5.

And a not insignificant drop-off after that.

After those guys, I’d want a trade down to 15 (a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and give back a 5th) and Bradbury/Taylor/Ford/Williams as the pick.

Yea we’re on the exact same page then. For me its the top 5 I mentioned or trade back to fix the Oline as well. I strongly prefer to not miss out on any of those top 5 though.

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

Against the Gators in 2018, Burns had 2 tackles, zero sacks. That’s the stat line. The game is on youtube, look it up.

So the Gators have a decent OT. Who the fuck does anyone think Burns will be playing against in the NFL?

Do you think Quinnen Williams is overrated because his stats against Oklahoma show just 1 single tackle and that’s it? Obviously this is a case where stats dont even remotely show the story. Q.Williams a beast in this game where he produced just one single tackle.  Since we now agree that stats dont tell the story, we have to go by what we saw on the field. I cant take your word for it since you already have stated you think Burns is overrated and a mid second round pick – evidence that either you are talking our of your ass or we both see 2 completely different things with our eyes.

I looked for his 2018 game vs Fl on youtube but cant find it, would appreciate a link to it.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.