Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• Lord Jameis Christ

Participant

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356334/article/2011-nfl-draft-grades-49ers-get-a-bears-get-an-f?campaign=Facebook_writers_brooksTampa Bay BuccaneersThe Buccaneers have struggled stringing together strong drafts in succession. Although the team has certainly accumulated some talent on the roster, the holes at defensive end have remained a sore spot for a franchise that won a Super Bowl title on the strength of a ferocious defense and pass rush. In 2011, the Buccaneers attempted to address the void with Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers to no avail. While Clayborn has been steady, the team has gotten nothing from Bowers. Mason Foster helped upgrade the defense between the tackles, but his production couldn't mask the woes of a defense that needed some more juice at the point of attack.Best pick: Mason Foster, MLB (Round 3, 84th overall)Foster has capably manned the middle of the defense, exhibiting exceptional instincts and awareness. He is a tackling machine with a hard-nosed personality and a knack for disruption. More important, Mason is a natural leader who is comfortable rallying the troops on game day.Worst pick: Da'Quan Bowers, DE (Round 2, 51st overall)It goes without saying that Bowers has been a major disappointment for the Buccaneers. He was expected to provide a pass-rushing presence off the edge, but only has 5.5 sacks in three seasons. Additionally, he has battled through knee injuries that threaten to derail his chances of making a strong contribution in 2014.Value pick: Adrian Clayborn, DE (Round 1, 20th overall)Clayborn has been as good as advertised as a high-motor rusher off the edge. He outworks blockers at the point of attack and has a feel for getting to the quarterback in one-on-one situations. With 13 sacks in 45 starts, Clayborn has been a productive base end in the Buccaneers' previous scheme.Grade: C

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess I’ll post the rest of the NFC South while I’m at itAtlanta FalconsFalcons GM Thomas Dimitroff made a gutsy move on draft day to land Julio Jones with the sixth overall pick. The savvy decision-maker surrendered five picks to the Cleveland Browns to move up from the 27th pick to give Matt Ryan a big-time playmaker on the outside. Although the Browns' mismanagement of those picks ultimately made the Falcons the winner of the deal, the move was certainly controversial at the time.Best pick: Julio Jones, WR (Round 1, 6th overall)Jones has definitely lived up to the hype as the Falcons' designated big-play threat. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound playmaker has totaled 15 receptions of 40-plus yards and 20 touchdowns in 34 games. With a career average of 15.7 yards per catch, Jones is a big play waiting to happen in Atlanta.Worst pick: Andrew Jackson, G (Round 7, 210th overall)It's unfair to put a seventh-round pick on the list because teams count those selections as glorified free agents, but Jackson gets the nod since he failed to earn a long-lasting spot on the Falcons' 53-man roster.Value pick: Jacquizz Rodgers, RB (Round 5, 145th overall)The Falcons desperately needed a change-of-pace back to add some sizzle to the passing game. Rodgers has certainly made an impact as a receiver out of the backfield with 126 receptions over the past three seasons, including 52 grabs for 341 yards and two scores in 2013.Grade: B+

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

New Orleans SaintsTeams would love to secure contributors throughout the draft, but most concentrate their efforts on making sure that top picks carve out key roles on the squad. Under that premise, the Saints are probably disappointed with their 2011 class despite the steady play of Cameron Jordan and the occasional contributions of Mark Ingram. While I know Day 1 selectees are expected to play major roles, great teams find a way to unearth a few hidden gems on draft day to help their championship efforts. The Saints didn't find any buried treasure outside of the first round, which makes it hard to give them a top grade for their work.Best pick: Cameron Jordan, DE (Round 1, 24th overall)The high-motor pass rusher has become a standout player for the Saints. Jordan has notched 21.5 sacks in three seasons, including 12.5 sacks a season ago, which opened the eyes of evaluators around the league. With Jordan flashing the disruptive skills to match his relentless motor, the Saints should be fired up about the performance of their first-rounder.Worst pick: Mark Ingram, RB (Round 1, 28th overall)Despite his timely contributions as a power back, the Saints haven't gotten the kind of production to warrant the moves made on draft day to secure Ingram's services. The fourth-year pro hasn't developed into the feature back that the team envisioned and doesn't appear to be in the Saints' long-term plans based on their recent decision to decline his contract option.Value pick: None Jordan and Ingram are the only members that remain on the roster from the 2011 class. That's certainly not good enough to win over the long haul in the NFL.Grade: C-

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carolina PanthersWhen teams miss on early draft selections, it typically coincides with dismal results on the field. The Panthers certainly can attest to that fact after watching the team struggle for years despite the best efforts of their sensational quarterback, Cam Newton. The former No. 1 overall pick has grown immensely has a player and leader in Carolina, while single-handedly carrying an offense that lacked legitimate weapons outside of Steve Smith and Greg Olsen. Although he received little assistance from his draft mates, the Panthers' rise in the NFC is tied to the growth of their franchise quarterback.Best pick: Cam Newton, QB (Round 1, 1st overall)Newton silenced the doubters about his passing prowess by becoming the first rookie to surpass the 4,000-yard mark. Additionally, he broke Steve Grogan's long-time record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (14) and became the first rookie to rush for at least 700 yards. Although he experienced a bit of a sophomore slump, Newton's re-emergence as the NFL's most explosive offensive weapon keyed the Panthers' playoff run a season ago.Worst pick: Terrell McClain, DT (Round 3, 65th overall)The Panthers' third-round pick only lasted a season before hitting the waiver wire. The South Florida product never developed into the disruptive force team officials expected, which is why he was ushered out of the building during the final cuts prior to the 2012 season.Value pick: Kealoha Pilares, WR (Round 5, 132nd overall)I probably should leave this spot blank, but Pilares' presence on the roster makes him noteworthy based on the dismal results of the class. Although he has made minimal contributions as a backup/special-teams member, he is entering his fourth season with the team.Grade: D

Please wait…

• vlagatta

You’re being too generous.  I’d grade it a D.  +1-1 1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're being too generous.  I'd grade it a D.  +1-1 1

o_O You think those are my grades? Lawd, read again

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take away each teams first rounder and we’d all get an F-Not a good year for NFC South GMs and scouting departments. At least we made up for it in 2012 with martin/david/barron.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

nope.  I'm busting your chops for just posting an article and not offering a take.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nope.  I'm busting your chops for just posting an article and not offering a take.

Why?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t dislike Clayborn but don’t see how you call him a “value” pick.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Why?

A couple of reasons.First of which, this is a bulletin board discussion forum.  Simply posting news links without offering opinion or commentary, seems lazy, and not condusive to creating good discussions. That hurts the board.It's not a news aggregate service like Drudge where you just click on headlines.  Anybody can do it, without putting any thought into it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“That hurts the board.”I struggle to find any value in that comment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucky Brooks is easily one of the worst football “journalists” out there.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I struggle to find any value in that comment.

No struggle required.Just posting links will turn this board into a news aggregate, rather than a discussion forum.  Amazed you cannot see that.If you are the OP and post an article, have a take.  If not, perhaps we can toss them into a separate and segregated forum.I understand the guys from PR doing it, because their link IS their take.  I'm just saying, members here simply posting a link is lame.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"That hurts the board."I struggle to find any value in that comment.

that made me laugh, thanks...

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Why?

A couple of reasons.First of which, this is a bulletin board discussion forum.  Simply posting news links without offering opinion or commentary, seems lazy, and not condusive to creating good discussions. That hurts the board.

You just threw Michealbot under the bus , bigtime , lolz .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why?

A couple of reasons.First of which, this is a bulletin board discussion forum.  Simply posting news links without offering opinion or commentary, seems lazy, and not condusive to creating good discussions. That hurts the board.It's not a news aggregate service like Drudge where you just click on headlines.  Anybody can do it, without putting any thought into it.

I have an idea. You can shut the fuck up and go make a new name again.

Please wait…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.