Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• buccaneer4ever

Participant

The starting quarterback job in Cleveland will not be handed to Johnny Manziel.Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said today that the Browns coach Mike Pettine Johnny Manziel to start acting “like a backup quarterback.”According to Haslam, Brian Hoyer is the team’s starting quarterback and will remain the starter until Manziel is able to prove that he’s the right man to lead the team. Manziel “is not the starter. Johnny’s the backup,” Haslam said.That may be the case for now, but if recent history is any guide, Pettine will choose Manziel to be the starter when the season begins: The last five quarterbacks to be drafted in the first round have all been their teams’ Week One starters. While Manziel may technically be behind Hoyer on the depth chart now, the Browns wouldn’t have used a first-round pick on Manziel if they didn’t expect him to surpass Hoyer. Preferably sooner rather than later.

Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/browns-owner-says-johnny-manziel-is-a-backup/Interesting position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I joined the Browns forum right after they drafted Manziel.  A lot more excitement over their draft than we have here.

Yep. You're quite the Bucs fan Java.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah… no way was he beating Hoyer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The quote running on NFL network is:Pettine " Johnny, you're the backup quarterback. You need to act and behave as such. We expect you to come to work and work hard every day..."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgSyOYbf3q0

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is how it ws going to be handled. They weren’t just going to give him the next. I mean Hoyer is pretty meh, so I won’t take much from Manziel to beat him out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10921566/johnny-manziel-teammates-cleveland-browns-not-ready-annoint-starting-quarterbackThe owner said the team was not scared off by the celebrity that comes along with Manziel, adding that the Browns told Manziel "this is not Hollywood" and that he will have to come to Cleveland ready to work hard.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

WTH?  This guy knew who he was getting when he drafted this guy.  The owner needs to stop already with keep you grounded type words.  I don’t care who and what kind of player I was and for the owner or coach to tell me this is not Hollywood act like a back up, condescending much?, are you serious?  If I was manziel I would be seriously pissed.  Its bad enough there is gonna be unwanted attention, it really don’t need to start with the owner.  If I have a player on my team not acting like or preparing to be a starter then I don’t want him on the team.  Any and every QB prepares and acts like a starter regardless of them being 2nd or 3rd string or being a rookie.  Its not about Johnny beating the QB they have now, its about the owners or coaches not comfortable with the fact that Johnny is hubristic,,and not necessarily in a bad way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah we’ll see in August.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

and by the way, I think the fans will decide who starts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Must not have confidence in him.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

yeah its crazy man, Johnny Manziel or not, that is no way to talk to or about any of the guys you draft.  That don’t instill determination, it instills resentment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s Cleveland. JFF went to football heaven, because Cleveland is where football careers go to die.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's Cleveland. JFF went to football heaven, because Cleveland is where football careers go to die.

I thought that was Oakland? I guess Oakland could be considered football hell.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10921566/johnny-manziel-teammates-cleveland-browns-not-ready-annoint-starting-quarterbackThe owner said the team was not scared off by the celebrity that comes along with Manziel, adding that the Browns told Manziel "this is not Hollywood" ...

Was there really a fear that someone was going to confuse Cleveland with Hollywood?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is going to be horrible.  Doesn’t matter who selected him,  he has zero chance for success in the NFL. This will be a blast to watch though.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

I agree it should be very fun to watch

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They’re going to ruin two qb’s in one season...Anyone want to bet on this?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All this is just “talk” about him being backup.He will start the browns opening game whether he deserves it or not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he rides the bench this year. No Gordon and the owner realizes he’s being set up for failure. Might as well blow for another year with Hoyer and let Manziel learn and draft Agholar next year or something.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is going to be horrible.  Doesn't matter who selected him,  he has zero chance for success in the NFL. This will be a blast to watch though.

Wanna bet on that?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is going to be horrible.  Doesn't matter who selected him,  he has zero chance for success in the NFL. This will be a blast to watch though.

Wanna bet on that?

Hell yes I would.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Owner is letting it be known he is not going to tolerate a circus from one who is wont to get attention.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Screw Manziel.  He is in for a rude awakening when the Bucs beat his azz down!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Screw Manziel.  He is in for a rude awakening when the Bucs beat his azz down!

Now youre talking Boidy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wanna bet on that?

You're funny.  JFF could have landed in Pittsburgh or San Fran and he was/is still going to fail.  You name the price and what defines failure and let's make a bet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Will there be a pool for when the first billboard goes up?

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Browns are doing this so they can lie and say Manziel “earned” the starting job late in August.Hoyer has no shot. They'll be chanting Manziel in the dogpound and booing poor Hoyer everytime he throws an incomplete pass. Would be too big a distraction to bench Manziel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Browns are doing this so they can lie and say he "earned" the starting job late in August.

...by going to OVO Fest in early August?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow!!I thought Dominik was the biggest idiot in the world for drafting a backup QB in the 3rd round. THIS takes the cake!!!! And they traded a 3rd rounder as well as their no.26 to draft a backup only to tell him this isnt Hollywood, get to work backup boy!!!!Too funny!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Day 3.  His best WR has been suspended for the very thing that Johnny does every day (he’s probably doing it as I type this.) and his owner already feels the need to tell Johnny through the media that it’s time to stop celebrating getting selected and start busting your ass to win the starting job.  This is going to be epic!  I’m super glad it’s not my team supplying the petri dish for this experiment.

Please wait…

• Marcia

Participant

Yeah, I wonder what prompted his comments.  You get the impression that JFF may be done before he starts.  I remember Bobby Beathard mentioning years later that he should have noticed the red flag with Ryan Leaf right away.  After being drafted by the Chargers, Leaf went to Vegas for a bachelor party instead of reporting directly to San Diego.  When he did show up, he as a little bleary.  JFF won’t be able to flip a switch and focus on football I dont believe.  When someone has put their franchise in your hands to the tune of millions of dollars, it’s time to go to work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is a story out there, that Ray Farmer had Teddy’s name on the draft card, and with 10 seconds left to make their pick, he crossed out Teddy’s name and wrote in Johnny’s name, as instucted to do by Haslem.I get the feeling this whole JFF thing is not going to end well for him in Hollywood er Cleveland. He will get the job at some point, and it won't be long before he is changing plays at the LOS, and Pettine [sp?] will blow a freakin gasket.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL @ Browns drafting QB in 1st round and calling him the back up.LOL @ Browns fans for being excited about JFFLOL @ Java for being Java

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel has been without any kind of guardian guidance for quite some time now.  The Browns and the paparazzi are going to be stalking him.  It’s going to be funny to see how he reacts and what he’s busted doing.  He may as well see if ESPN wants him, he’ll be doing a Saturday morning gig there in no time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

O’lines have been known to ‘forget’ their blocks and just let the pash rush bury their QB. Helps the QB focus on football better in the future…

Please wait…

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.