Viewing 39 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs lead NFL in guaranteed money April, 11, 2014 By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com The Tampa Bay Buccaneers already lead the league in one category. Since the start of free agency, the Bucs have given out $74.3 million in guaranteed money to their incoming free agents and the ones they’ve re-signed, according to ESPN Stats & Information. No other team is even close. Denver is second with $65.5 million in guaranteed money. The Raiders ($51 million) and the Vikings ($50.2 million) are the only other teams to top $50 million in guaranteed money. But spending big money in free agency doesn’t necessarily translate into success. Last year, four teams (Lions, Dolphins, Colts and Cowboys) spent at least $50 million in guaranteed money in the first month of free agency. The Colts were the only one of those teams to make the playoffs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Eek… makes me a little nervous… let’s hope they pan out..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m usually not a fan of the Dan Snyder build through FA school of thought, however I think we did ok. I remember reading about the contracts being front loaded and after taking a quick look at spotrac, I didn't see any dead money after two seasons. I don't believe McCown has guaranteed money in his contract at all. I'm also put at ease by the fact that these guys, with the exception of McCown are young and seemingly have their best football ahead of them. With the ever increasing cap and continually growing contracts (except at the RB position) we might have some nice reasonably priced players moving forward if they pan out. If not we can cut them in short order.Considering how active we were and that the guaranteed money is up front, its not that surprising to be a top the league, but we'll know soon if these were good moves.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Out of all the FA we signed, 3 have the potential to be full-time starters. The philosophy of building through the draft has not changed, all they’ve (rightfully) done is fill positions that lacked depth, which is exactly what this team needed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And purged an area of need by cutting……………..I mean, trading Mike Williams.  Still scratching my head about that one. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the most part I think that we did a pretty good job, we grabbed a bunch of young players without too much mileage on them that show a lot of promise… next best thing to building through the draft. I’d rather graba  guy like Verner this year than being stuck grabbing Gilbert at 7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We lead the league in CROWNS!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the most part I think that we did a pretty good job, we grabbed a bunch of young players without too much mileage on them that show a lot of promise... next best thing to building through the draft. I'd rather graba  guy like Verner this year than being stuck grabbing Gilbert at 7.

The Verner pick could be one of the best FA pickups in our history.  He's perfect for us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It looked like Dominik overpaid, but at least it was easy to get rid of everyone. If a few of our FAs suck, we’re going to be stuck with them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Okay but I bet we are nowhere near the top of avg guaranteed money per FA signed. Lots of guaranteed $ is also the result of not giving out signing bonuses, so really its just good business.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We lead the league in CROWNS!!!!

Crowned-2-Arthur-Pendragon-arthur-and-gwen-33304281-500-267.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barring extraordinary drafting this regime is going to bomb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn those cheap Glazers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn that idiot BucNY. He’s just a troll wondering why we went on a FA spending spree when history shows many FA pick ups don’t work out. Look at our last two years. How many guys turned out good? But nope, let’s put blinders on and Lovie will be the savior. I’ll say what I said, we made a lot of moves but we’re handcuffed to the guys we signed this year because of this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Handcuffed for two seasons. . .whoopdeedoo…two seasons.Some of you guys should move to the desert, so you can water the ground with your constant tears that you can't seem to ever turn off.  Geez.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn that idiot BucNY. He's just a troll wondering why we went on a FA spending spree when history shows many FA pick ups don't work out. Look at our last two years. How many guys turned out good? But nope, let's put blinders on and Lovie will be the savior. I'll say what I said, we made a lot of moves but we're handcuffed to the guys we signed this year because of this.

I guess we should have just kept rolling with our 4 win roster? Amazing. We have a new coach who is bringing in new players ... just like all new coaches do.You are the new Java. Get on board or get the fuck out!!!!

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Damn that idiot BucNY. He's just a troll wondering why we went on a FA spending spree when history shows many FA pick ups don't work out. Look at our last two years. How many guys turned out good? But nope, let's put blinders on and Lovie will be the savior. I'll say what I said, we made a lot of moves but we're handcuffed to the guys we signed this year because of this.

I guess we should have just kept rolling with our 4 win roster? Amazing. We have a new coach who is bringing in new players ... just like all new coaches do.You are the new Java. Get on board or get the **CENSORED** out!!!!

+1 We could have done nothing in free agency and everyone would have cried. When we give out not bad money to good players people still find a way to cry.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We don’t have a 4 win roster…we had a 4 win coaching staff and scheme.  We’ve had some decent talent the past 2 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really dont understand ppl who are already down on this regime. Fine if u arent as big a fan of lovie/licht as others, but theres no denying that both have enough of a track recore and have made enough moves for fans to at least adopt a wait and see approach to this season. But to continue with such downright pessimism even after all the changes? Dudes are just complaining fo the sake of at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

we're handcuffed to the guys we signed this year because of this.

weak effort

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We also have the offseason MPWM award. So at least there’s that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea let’s keep status quo with a team that has continually sucked the last 3-4 years….geez things had to change here. Why all the bitching about spending money?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess we should have just kept rolling with our 4 win roster? Amazing. We have a new coach who is bringing in new players ... just like all new coaches do.You are the new Java. Get on board or get the **CENSORED** out!!!!

Java never cries like that he is just a very good troll that i actually find funny. Except for his love for tebow...thats not so funny.. bucny should take some trolling lessons from the legend of java.

Please wait…

• barbuc

Participant

The amount of venom spit between FANS OF THE SAME DAMN TEAM on this site is amazing at times. And we wonder why Tampa Area sports fans are regarded as some of the worst out there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The amount of venom spit between FANS OF THE SAME DAMN TEAM on this site is amazing at times. And we wonder why Tampa Area sports fans are regarded as some of the worst out there.

You have a great board name! See how nice that was.. We do have some awful fans but i think thats mostly because most fans arent from here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea let's keep status quo with a team that has continually sucked the last 3-4 years....geez things had to change here. Why all the **CENSORED**ing about spending money?

We have to draft our way out of this hole, not spend. This is the Redskins/Raiders model that has continuously proven does not work. They could have spent money and converted Revis' salary to bonus and traded him for a king's ransom. Instead we used the cap room to sign career backups. This is going to bomb.

Please wait…

• barbuc

Participant

You have a great board name! See how nice that was.. We do have some awful fans but i think thats mostly because most fans arent from here.

Lol I'm feeling the warm and fuzzies! Whatever the case may be, you'd think that fans would be primarily focused on  team performance  and well being, instead of bickering like old ladies over who is or isn't an alternate version of Java.

Please wait…

• barbuc

Participant

Yea let's keep status quo with a team that has continually sucked the last 3-4 years....geez things had to change here. Why all the **CENSORED**ing about spending money?

We have to draft our way out of this hole, not spend. This is the Redskins/Raiders model that has continuously proven does not work. They could have spent money and converted Revis' salary to bonus and traded him for a king's ransom. Instead we used the cap room to sign career backups. This is going to bomb.

Crazy hyperbole to push an agenda isn't an unheard of tactic, but career backups? Weren't Verner and Johnson starters last year? I could be wrong but I'd consider last season as part of their careers, wouldn't you?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol I'm feeling the warm and fuzzies! Whatever the case may be, you'd think that fans would be primarily focused on  team performance  and well being, instead of bickering like old ladies over who is or isn't an alternate version of Java.

Yea but those that are negative crybabies all the time need to be called out

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love it how every time a team spends money in FA all these "geniuses" come out of nowhere to call them the new snyder redskins. There are reasons for spending in FA and its not always about "buying" a championship as simpletons like to say. Bottom line this team needed to retool that overaged/overpayed o-line, they did. They also needed to address depth in quite a few areas, which is why they signed so many. It has been well documented by now that one of Dominick's major faults was leaving the roster starved for depth and relying too much on young players at key moments in games. In reality, after a change in regime is the perfect time to overhaul a roster. Its not even close to being the same as overspending year in year out on FAs. Once this becomes Lovie's team and a clear foundation is set, i have no doubt we will spend less in FA and focus on building thru the draft, like all good organizations do in the long run.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

STFU!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No. Java is a racist, homophobic moron like his buddy Skull and Bones. BucNY is simply an idiot because he's acting like we're on our way to being 0-16 because we cut Mike Williams. Constantly pissing and moaning because Lovie and Licht are starting to gut a team that was absolute dogshit last year. So let me get this straight, we were horrible last year and needed to make big changes all over the place. And now as we start that process, the complaining starts? I can only imagine the epic bitching after the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Guaranteed money is front loaded over the first couple of years of the contract with little to no signing bonus. It allow us to pay up front and avoid dead money against the cap if we decide to cut the player after a couple of seasons. It's not a bad practice and has kept us out of cap hell for a while. Everyone sees this and freaks. In reality, it's a good thing, fiscally speaking. Whether or not all of the free agent signings translate to success on the field is a different story.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

HEY! Haha I'm a lifelong Bucs fan and have had to be that way from a distance... Illinois, TN, Alaska... Ugh. I wish I lived in Tampa, you couldn't keep me from being at those games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

HEY! Haha I'm a lifelong Bucs fan and have had to be that way from a distance... Illinois, TN, Alaska... Ugh. I wish I lived in Tampa, you couldn't keep me from being at those games.

Man, those places can get pretty cold!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man, those places can get pretty cold!

Indeed! Haha we finally made it down for a game last year, it was the night game against the Panthers... kind of a miserable game but damn it felt good to be there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Indeed! Haha we finally made it down for a game last year, it was the night game against the Panthers... kind of a miserable game but damn it felt good to be there.

That Florida weather sure helps!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I meant the ones not born in the area that live here now. Many used to be fans of other teams so its easy for them to be fairweather buc fans. Cool that you are still a fan from far away;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The old way was garbage.  New regime.  New strategy.  Too early for the doom and gloomers.  The sky is falling, the sky is falling.  It’s not even August.PA-THE-TIC!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Guaranteed money is front loaded over the first couple of years of the contract with little to no signing bonus. It allow us to pay up front and avoid dead money against the cap if we decide to cut the player after a couple of seasons. It's not a bad practice and has kept us out of cap hell for a while. Everyone sees this and freaks. In reality, it's a good thing, fiscally speaking. Whether or not all of the free agent signings translate to success on the field is a different story.

Well said.I don't see the problem guaranteeing dollars to good, solid, NFL players that have proved they belong. Its a different story when you are guaranteeing big money to guys with one foot out of the league, or have never proved they are even average NFL players. Or guys coming off devastating injuries.Verner and Johnson are good solid players.

Please wait…

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.