Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 reply threads

• Author

• FLASH

Participant

Now this is more like it. Good for all involved. Bucs leading the way.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/buccaneers-city-tampa-announce-social-212030125.html

The Buccaneers and the city of Tampa announced on Monday a partnership focused on improving social justice causes within the community.

Darcie Glazer Kassewitz, president of the Buccaneers Foundation, explained that the initiative is a player-led, year-round operation focused on social justice and making an impact within the community through the leadership of Bucs players.

• RudeGuy

Participant

This is how it should have been from the beginning. Now the players are not stepping on anyone’s feet. The cops are working with them and the anthem disruption is out of the way. Doing it this way puts the awareness on the cause. Good job Bucs players and the Glazer family.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Supported their right to kneel. But always thought that if they really were interested to make social impact, take their day off (Tues) and march, picket, whatever at Police HQ Tampa.

• FLASH

Participant

Supported their right to kneel. But always thought that if they really were interested to make social impact, take their day off (Tues) and march, picket, whatever at Police HQ Tampa.

Working with the local police and the city is a much better approach. They are doing the right thing.

• Joey

Participant

• Anonymous

Inactive

This program is a good thing, but it never gets off the ground without the kneeling (and I was not a fan of the kneeling)

• Anonymous

Inactive

This program is a good thing, but it never gets off the ground without the kneeling (and I was not a fan of the kneeling)

Disagree, the PD of any city would be happy to work with celebrities for PR purposes alone. I don’t think it took kneeling for this to be possible, it was always possible if players wanted to organize to do it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Disagree, the PD of any city would be happy to work with celebrities for PR purposes alone. I don’t think it took kneeling for this to be possible, it was always possible if players wanted to organize to do it.

I never said a PD wouldn’t work with them, I suggested that this specific program is happening because of the kneeling. It’s the product of that movement. Otherwise, these guys would be doing any one of a multitude of other charitable causes. This was an “acceptable” alternative the kneeling

My hats off to them. Not criticizing.

• Anonymous

Inactive

From the article:

“The initiative’s development came from meetings between players and organizational leadership, which took place over a year ago.”

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is how it should have been from the beginning.

Now what will Trump have to whine about.

• Anonymous

Inactive

haven’t heard Pres Chump say much lately about NFL and kneelers….looks like the NFL isn’t hurting as bad as his backers want to make it out…..I hope they’re still boycotting the NFL…………viewership NFL vs big MLB games

ESPN’s Monday: Brewers-Cubs: 2.532M viewers.

Rockies-Dodgers: 2.688M viewers.

Chiefs-Broncos: 13.214M viewers.

• tog

Participant

I never said a PD wouldn’t work with them, I suggested that this specific program is happening because of the kneeling. It’s the product of that movement. Otherwise, these guys would be doing any one of a multitude of other charitable causes. This was an “acceptable” alternative the kneeling

My hats off to them. Not criticizing.

What’s really changed is the scope. As a non-American, its mind boggling to me how poor the relationship between the police and the black community is, how little cops in some states are paid (~$30k average in the south), and how little training many police forces get.

The movement started by Kaepernick gave a lot of players a specific cause to get behind. Contrary to some of the narratives, many of these players (and teams) do a lot of community work and support. Is all of it effective? I have no clue. Football camps are cool but don’t touch on any of the actual broken systems that ruin peoples lives and destroy communities.

Further, the kneeling strongly incentivised the NFL and teams to get behind some of these issues. For example, Robert Kraft at the invitation of some players went to the (I think it was) sentencing of ~7 year old kid. And in part because of that, the Patriots/Kraft have got behind a lot of criminal justice reforms.

Niether players nor teams were doing nothing before Kaepernick started kneeling. But it greatly increased the scope, focus, and impact.

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

haven’t heard Pres Chump say much lately about NFL and kneelers….looks like the NFL isn’t hurting as bad as his backers want to make it out…..I hope they’re still boycotting the NFL…………viewership NFL vs big MLB games

ESPN’s Monday: Brewers-Cubs: 2.532M viewers.

Rockies-Dodgers: 2.688M viewers.

Chiefs-Broncos: 13.214M viewers.

The NFL never was hurting, just some racist faux outrage from some out of shape white people was all.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Buccaneers, City of Tampa Announce Social Justice Initiative’ is closed to new replies.