Viewing 47 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Tampa Bay Buccaneers following carefully drawn blueprint By Judy Battista NFL Media reporter    NFL.comPublished: April 7, 2014 at  8:01 p.m. lovie_zps9917fac8.jpgLovie Smith finally got to move into his new home over the weekend, long after the billboards welcoming the Buccaneers' coach were erected along Tampa's congested roads, back when the other professional ballplayers in town were reporting for spring training. The Buccaneers returned to begin their offseason program on Monday -- the first day that teams with new coaches could meet -- with a roster that has involved as much flux as Smith's living conditions and has as few deep roots as any snowbird. Last week's trade of receiver Mike Williams to the Buffalo Bills was just the most recent signal that the Bucs are looking to flip their recent fortunes as quickly as a Florida real-estate speculator. Williams' departure -- less than two weeks after he was stabbed in an odd incident at his home involving his brother -- means the Bucs now have only one player remaining on the roster from the 2010 NFL Draft -- defensive tackle Gerald McCoy -- and none from the four drafts before that.Even more startling was the decision to release cornerback Darrelle Revis soon after free agency began. Revis, acquired from the New York Jets last offseason for a pair of draft picks, including a first-rounder, was to have been the cornerstone of former coach Greg Schiano's revived defense and of a team that believed it had the stuff to make a 2013 playoff run. Instead, Revis, still not entirely healed from a knee injury and often deployed in ways that did not take advantage of his coverage skills, became a symbol of the bad bets and dysfunction that led to the downfall of Schiano and general manager Mark Dominik.New GM Jason Licht professes great respect for Dominik's work, and he ticks off the notable names -- McCoy, receiver Vincent Jackson, linebacker Lavonte David, quarterback Mike Glennon (more on him later) -- that remain from Dominik's time. But to understand the approach Licht, a first-time GM, is taking, it might help to know the source materials he has closely studied.He was Cardinals GM Steve Keim's right-hand man last year in Arizona, watching Keim -- then a first-year GM himself -- navigate a coaching change and roster overhaul of his own. Licht also delved in-depth into the plan enacted by the Kansas City Chiefs, who took remarkably similar steps and had remarkably similar results. Both the Cards and the Chiefs hired new coaches (Bruce Arians and Andy Reid, respectively), tweaked their rosters and acquired veteran quarterbacks before the 2013 season.While watching friends and colleagues become general managers, Licht noted that one of the hardest parts of their new jobs was having to make the final decision. Licht had also worked in scouting and personnel roles in New England, where he studied how Patriots coach Bill Belichick operates."Everybody knows how intelligent he is, but when you get to know him, you realize he knows how to attack things that are important at the time," Licht said. When Licht first got the position in Tampa, he vowed to himself that he would not waffle. He would strike quickly and not look back. And so he moved decisively to reshape the Bucs' roster, as the Chiefs and Cardinals had. Both of those squads bounced back quickly: the Chiefs from a two-win season to an AFC wild-card berth, the Cardinals from a five-win campaign to barely missing out on the postseason after going 10-6 in what might be the NFL's toughest division."We looked at it pretty in-depth," Licht said. "I know it's a copycat league. Every team (has its) individual circumstances. We couldn't just say, 'They signed these positions,' or, 'They invested the bulk of their money in this unit.' " But it was something Licht said during the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando two weeks ago that got to the heart of the torrent of moves. The Bucs released the best player on their roster -- Revis -- not because they doubted his talent, but because of the flexibility they gained by jettisoning his $16 million salary, flexibility that they've exercised as one of free agency's busiest teams. They have signed a gaggle of unrestricted free agents, including headliners like Revis' replacement, Alterraun Verner, plus defensive end Michael Johnson and quarterback Josh McCown, whom Smith immediately named the starter. In all, Licht expects at least eight of the signees to be starters.Still, trading your biggest name is not generally the way to energize fans whose interest had slowly ebbed in the 11 years since the franchise's only Super Bowl victory, a period that has included just two postseason appearances and no postseason wins.For years, the portraits that hung down the façade of Raymond James Stadium were of players who were nationally recognized, Ronde Barber and John Lynch and Derrick Brooks among them. But as each of those players left, the wins went with them, and a long waiting list for season tickets disappeared. Until last season, the team struggled with repeated television blackouts of home games, reinforcing the sense that the Bucs, whose national profile had long ago dimmed, were becoming less relevant -- and, in the case of the tumult surrounding Schiano, less likeable -- at home, too. In Orlando, Licht told reporters that he thought it was unfair to ask fans to be patient as the Bucs rebuilt. Those fans, after all, can look around the league and see the result of quick patch jobs. "I don't want that to come across as an excuse, when you say, 'You've got to be patient; Rome wasn't built in a day,' all the clichés," Licht said. "Those are true, but in this league, you saw Kansas City last year. Arizona -- we flipped the team with a great coach, just like Lovie, and a great atmosphere, a new energy. There's no reason to say we can't complete for a championship this year."That might seem to be overreaching, especially considering Williams' trade means there is currently no No. 2 receiver to line up with Jackson (Licht said it would be an oversimplification to assume the Bucs will absolutely take a receiver from a deep class in the draft's first round, although he also said they are well aware of their situation). But it is hard to make the argument that McCown should have less of an impact than Carson Palmer or Alex Smith did in Arizona and Kansas City, respectively. McCown, who did admirable work in keeping the Bears in the NFC North race last year when Jay Cutler was hurt, was signed as much for his leadership and teaching ability as for his football acumen. Glennon, whom Schiano made the starter after a protracted divorce from former first-round draft pick Josh Freeman, remains on the roster and, in Licht's view, the potential future franchise quarterback, although Teddy Bridgewater visited the Bucs on Monday. The signing of the 34-year-old McCown "took care of two needs," Licht said. "We wanted to upgrade the overall unit, and also put Mike Glennon in the best position to ascend. Even Josh McCown knows he's not the long-term solution at quarterback at his age. But he has such a great reputation. He is an incredible resource as a leader and as a teacher." There are risks to any such remaking, of course, and the Bucs should know them well. Jon Gruden won with a team that was largely already assembled by Tony Dungy; Gruden and Bruce Allen then tried to continue the run by loading up on more veterans. Following that, Raheem Morris, with Dominik alongside, tried to go younger through the draft. Schiano's plan seemed to be a schizophrenic mix of both approaches. All failed, to varying degrees.But with Smith and Licht moved in and the offseason break essentially over, the wait for the newest new plan would seem to be at an end, as well. And with fans already clamoring to know who the next receiver will be -- even with a roster so new, they could have used name tags at Monday's meeting -- a plea for patience, at least until the draft, might be needed after all."It's like when you're furnishing a house and you buy $100,000 worth of furniture," Licht said. "And the first question is, 'What are we going to do about the guest room?' "Follow Judy Battista on Twitter @judybattista.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Leave it to a women sports writer to build an article around a quote about buying furniture. :)jk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Must be nice to spend $100K on home furnishings.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think I’ve spent $1,000 total on mine

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I wonder how much that hideous curtain setup he placed behind his TV cost?He needs to hire Keyshawn to decorate.blueprint?  This is his blueprint.Journeyman QB.  Run the ball.  Dink the ball down the field with the occasional shot.  Load up on defense.  Lather rinse repeat.  Sitting on the couch hasn't "evolved" Lovie anymore than me reading a SANTANA post making me smarter.They just are what they are.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They just are what they are.

like Belichick

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I wonder how much that hideous curtain setup he placed behind his TV cost?He needs to hire Keyshawn to decorate.blueprint?  This is his blueprint.Journeyman QB.  Run the ball.  Dink the ball down the field with the occasional shot.  Load up on defense.  Lather rinse repeat.  Sitting on the couch hasn't "evolved" Lovie anymore than me reading a SANTANA post making smarter.They just are what they are.

Watch out bro. The Lovie lovers around here don't take kindly to your questioning of our new czar.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting connecting KC and Zona to what licht is trying to do here. Not that those connections weren’t common knowledge, but it’s reassuring. I’m starting to wish Licht had more power than Smith….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I wonder how much that hideous curtain setup he placed behind his TV cost?He needs to hire Keyshawn to decorate.blueprint?  This is his blueprint.Journeyman QB.  Run the ball.  Dink the ball down the field with the occasional shot.  Load up on defense.  Lather rinse repeat.  Sitting on the couch hasn't "evolved" Lovie anymore than me reading a SANTANA post making me smarter.They just are what they are.

Watch out bro. The Lovie lovers around here don't take kindly to your questioning of our new czar.

He will turn the team around.  Make it competitive.  BUt I highly question his intent on offense.  He hasn't done anything to show this team can score 20 points a game.  And the defense isn't built like a championship team.  We have two beast safeties that collect fines and cannot cover (well, Barron is improving).  Corners are a complete mystery aside from Verner.  Guards?  What guards?  Nicks?  So on and so forth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I won’t follow LnL blindly, I won’t lie and say I’m not concerned about the offense but it’s too early to make such judgements about the offense. Our defense may not be stacked but it’s in good enough shape that we can focus on offense in the draft. We don’t know what the plan is, so say we get a WR, QB and a G with our first 3 picks…. All of a sudden our offense could be in much better shape. Who knows…. Just saying it’s too early to be freaking out about the offense. Sure Lovie is conservative but I doubt that the glazers would have brought him in if he didn’t lay out a clear plan to improve all three phases of our team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is what he is. A defensive coach that is a proven winner and has been to a Super Bowl.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why I like Lovie.  He has proven he can claw his way there.But it took a while with that great defense.  And I just cannot see Lovie ever putting an offense together that is potent enough to overcome the problems that presents.  He is a man with an ego, and he built his rep on defense.  He will dump his cash into defense, and roll with 17 points to win a game.Bucs will be an occasional playoff team, hover around 8 wins every year, and eventually...but at least I can be entertained from week to week.  The Bucs sucked so bad for so long, the game has become boring to me at times.  Just sucked the life right out of me.  Time to bring back tome winning, and some competitive, well-run football games.No more sandwiches at halftime.  SMGDH.  Man, was Schiano really that freaking stupid?  Man, what a dumbarse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I won't follow LnL blindly, I won't lie and say I'm not concerned about the offense but it's too early to make such judgements about the offense. Our defense may not be stacked but it's in good enough shape that we can focus on offense in the draft. We don't know what the plan is, so say we get a WR, QB and a G with our first 3 picks.... All of a sudden our offense could be in much better shape. Who knows.... Just saying it's too early to be freaking out about the offense. Sure Lovie is conservative but I doubt that the glazers would have brought him in if he didn't lay out a clear plan to improve all three phases of our team.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is what he is. A defensive coach that is a proven winner and has been to a Super Bowl.

With an average offensive rank of 26th during his 9 years. That's some kind of special bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I honestly don’t think Tedford has the personnel to run his offense currently, so I want to see how the Bucs bring in talent on the offensive side of the ball.As Boid said Lovie will obtain additional pieces on defense from the draft (pass rusher, cover LB, zone DB).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With an average offensive rank of 26th during his 9 years. That's some kind of special bad.

Seahawks offense was ranked 18th last year and they won the Super Bowl. 49ers were arguably the 2nd best team in the NFL last year and their offense was ranked 24th.These are the type of teams we will be emulating so we don't need a top 10 offense. Get on board or get off, but for the love of gawd don't tag along and whine the whole fugging trip.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I have given up hope that the Bucs will field a high powered offense unless Tedford can work miracles.  Bucs are going to build the defense in the draft….if I am proven wrong I would happy as a clam.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Until we see it, we just don’t really know how Tedford’s offense under Lovie will perform. I will give Lovie credit for quickly identifying our O’line as being really bad, and taking steps to fix it. Our O’line historically has been so-so at best. We’ve never had a dominant O’line. Some individuals, and some very good RBs, but never a really great O’line…     That's one reason I'm thinkin' trading our #1 for the 49ers #1, pair of #2's and their first #3 would be a GREAT trade for us. And they don't need that many picks, so might well do it. There are so many very talented draftees upcoming; we could upgrade several positions, that otherwise might take several drafts to accomplish. If the draft's depth weren't so great, I prolly wouldn't do it, but the situation just looks perfect for us!     Mike Evans is the one guy, if available, would be real hard to pass on tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We want wins.  Winning starts and ends with a nasty front 7 on D.  Any blueprint to the contrary is flawed and can be exposed. Any blueprint that adhere’s to this, has a chance to win every year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We want wins.  Winning starts and ends with a nasty front 7 on D.  Any blueprint to the contrary is flawed and can be exposed. Any blueprint that adhere's to this, has a chance to win every year.

75/25 rule! Use 80% of all assets on QB, O-Line and D-Line and then fill in the rest with what's leftover!Quarterback is the most important position in football, but also the most difficult to fill. You can win without an elite QB, but you need to win the battles up front with both your lines.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We want wins.  Winning starts and ends with a nasty front 7 on D.  Any blueprint to the contrary is flawed and can be exposed. Any blueprint that adhere's to this, has a chance to win every year.

75/25 rule! Use 80% of all assets on QB, O-Line and D-Line and then fill in the rest with what's leftover!Quarterback is the most important position in football, but also the most difficult to fill. You can win without an elite QB, but you need to win the battles up front with both your lines.

Get your D right and everything else falls into place.  Now, I'm not saying we need to go back to the anemic O of yore with Shaun King, during dungy ball but it doesn't need to be fancy.  See the Seahawks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seahawks offense was ranked 18th last year and they won the Super Bowl. 49ers were arguably the 2nd best team in the NFL last year and their offense was ranked 24th.These are the type of teams we will be emulating so we don't need a top 10 offense. Get on board or get off, but for the love of gawd don't tag along and whine the whole fugging trip.

Okay, sorry

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s my two cents worth. And to be sure it’s only my opinion, as they haven’t played a down yet BUT based on Lovie’s history of a killer defense and a sputtering offense, which ultimately cost him his Bears job and given the fact that he had a year to correct his flaws to get back in the game, I truly think Tedford and the offensive coaching staff were hand picked by Lovie. I envision the Glazers coming down hard on Lovie to deliver some excitement, electricity and not run twice, check and duck on third and long and punt, then pray. So will we have a top ten offense, I sure would love that but probably won’t happen this year but what I do expect is a solid top ten defense, exciting special teams play and a consistent offense that can get a lead, hold a lead or come from behind. I do believe they will eventually build a top ten offense soon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t really know why, but I am optimistic about Tedford. Just a feeling I guess. I hope Lovie is smart enough to get out of his way and let him go. Although trading away his 2nd best receiver for some half chewed gum isn’t really getting out of his way, it’s getting in his way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah the  Packers and Saints have nasty from 7s. I tremble in fear at the Eagles front 7. Not sure NE has that frightening a front line.  DEN has one scary player up front. Everything starts and ends with the QB. You need an efficient one or you won't win more than 8 games short of flukey events.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't really know why, but I am optimistic about Tedford. Just a feeling I guess. I hope Lovie is smart enough to get out of his way and let him go. Although trading away his 2nd best receiver for some half chewed gum isn't really getting out of his way, it's getting in his way.

Eagles walked away from a much better WR than we had and got nothing for basically the same reasons. You can't cure stupid and at some point you need to figure out if you can win with stupid either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah the  Packers and Saints have nasty from 7s. I tremble in fear at the Eagles front 7. Not sure NE has that frightening a front line.  DEN has one scary player up front. Everything starts and ends with the QB. You need an efficient one or you won't win more than 8 games short of flukey events.

Efficient yes, Tom Brady??? Not necessary.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't really know why, but I am optimistic about Tedford. Just a feeling I guess. I hope Lovie is smart enough to get out of his way and let him go. Although trading away his 2nd best receiver for some half chewed gum isn't really getting out of his way, it's getting in his way.

Do you know if Tedford was in favor of, or against, trading MW?We already know the answer so don't bother.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

it's too early to make such judgements about the offense. Our defense may not be stacked but it's in good enough shape that we can focus on offense in the draft. We don't know what the plan is,

You would think it's August with all of these pronouncements coming from certain posters.There are plenty of folks on these boards who think they know the plan and know how the offense will perform. Laughable and entertaining.Love what they did so far. I'll wait until the final roster is set to see if I have concerns. And even if I do, so what?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The blue print was drawn by him quite awhile ago.Defense, then special teams and if anything left over do it for the offense.Have seen nothing, so far, to change my opinion.Where are our guards??????

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess there will always be a reason to complain. LL have already replaced 3/5 of the starting OL in the 1st wave of free agency.He is taking heat for emulating the Cards and Chiefs (last years Cinderella teams) by bringing in a veteran QB so that we can get the offense going. I see nothing but positive moves so far and people are still complaining. What is next? Let me guess, we are probably just going to forfeit all of our draft picks, right? Lovie hates offense SOOO much I am sure everytime Licht wants to pick an offensive player Lovie will run up to the podium and forfeit the pick. Cant you people get excited about blowing up a 4 win team???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I could care less how many people he replaces. I want more talent, especially on offense. Unless you think McCown is the spark we’re missing our offense is the same as it was last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

our offense is the same as it was last year.

yeah.  . except for the new offensive line, martin back, new QB, entirely new offensive system and coordinator, new receivers, new TE . . . and any new person we add over the next four months

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

please just tell me you are in full troll mode so I can put you on ignore.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

please just tell me you are in full troll mode so I can put you on ignore.

Normally ny is a ignore button worthy poster, but ..he has a point here in some ways.Mccown has been relatively average his entire career. Glennon is also average.All the rb's are the same. Which isn't a bad thing really.Vj, with some more age. No definite slot guy. Wright, and a whole bunch of guys that might as well be luke stocker.Don't get me wrong though, I actually believe they'll be much better. I just see the similarities that almost have to remain there after only one offseason rebuild.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

New OC. New scheme. New QB. New o-line. Martin is back. New TE. We’ll be drafting two new WRs. Seems different.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

New OC. New scheme. New QB. New o-line. Martin is back. New TE. We'll be drafting two new WRs. Seems different.

Right. But then you rethink and go..ok, run first. Then you think, ..average vet qb play under a college coach's scheme..I'm not saying there aren't differences, but there are indeed some similarities and issues that will haunt us on offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So because we will run it and pass it…it’s the same?  No one knows anything about how our offense will look.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one knows anything about how our offense will look.

that's not true ... it's the same as last year's offense  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So because we will run it and pass it...it's the same?  No one knows anything about how our offense will look.

No no. It's April and we haven't even had a practice or preseason game. Haven't even drafted anyone yet.....but some folks already know exactly what our offense is going to look like. And it's the same as last year. Sorry. We mise well just pack it in and start looking for a new coaching staff now. These new guys obviously don't know what they are doing. I mean, it's been nearly 3 months and we don't even have a Lombardi Trophy yet!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Make the ol a little better, add mccown, and take away mw..it kinda is.Besides that, the system, staff, etc is different. Nothing shocking has been done this off-season with players on offense to assure us of an over 20th ranked season.If they draft manziel, bridgewater, bortles, watkins, or evans, obviously that would make a better argument for change.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shoot lets bring back MW and JF…btw Davin still available.. and give away our 7th pick for future turds and average player’s… EVERYBODY happy?  (aLLNUT AND bUCNJ)  Go shootheads!!!4-12 forever

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing shocking has been done this off-season with players on offense to assure us of an over 20th ranked season.

gold. You want assurances and shock value? Go head over to tmz.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cutting “trading” Mike Williams is the one thing that has me scratching my head.  I know, since he’s not a Buc he’s a worthless piece of crap to most on this board but it will be tough to find someone to replace him that’s a rookie.  The “win now” mantra seems a bit silly right now if you ask me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Make the ol a little better, add mccown, and take away mw..it kinda is.Besides that, the system, staff, etc is different. Nothing shocking has been done this off-season with players on offense to assure us of an over 20th ranked season.

The part in bold speaks volumes about how personality-driven and "Madden-driven" many fans are these days.  If you read your comment in total and note the part in bold, what you are really saying is "yeah, a lot has changed but I don't see any big name player . .  so . .  we still suck."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really like the changes thus far.  Yet we’re still far from a finished product, which is understandable.  It’s still April and we’re three months in to a rebuild of a 4-12 team.  We need to solidify our long-term QB situation, our WR situation and our OG situation.  Let’s revisit this thread post-draft. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shoot lets bring back MW and JF...btw Davin still available.. and give away our 7th pick for future turds and average player's... EVERYBODY happy?4-12 forever

This made me  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know one thing the blueprint includes and that is turnovers and defensive scoring! It’s always been a huge part of what Lovie does and I can’t wait! We have had 10 defensive TDs since 2009. Hopefully we can start getting in that 5 to 7 range every year and lead the league in takeaways. This is what has me excited!

Please wait…

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.