Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Buccaneers offensive line gave up just four pressures against the SaintsBy Sander Philipse Sep 22, 2015 press_zpsxustcimy.pngJonathan Dyer-USA TODAY SportsThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers played much better football against the New Orleans Saints than they did against the Tennessee Titans, and one place where that showed up was the offensive line, specifically the pass protection. According to Pro Football Focus, the Bucs gave up just four pressures all game long -- a significant improvement over last week, when Winston seemed to be under duress every other play.There are several reasons for this. For one, Jameis Winston was a lot more comfortable and composed -- his footwork and mechanics were cleaner, he did a better job of stepping up in the pocket to help out his offensive, and he got rid of the ball more quickly. Plus, the Saints just don't have that many good pass rushers -- Cameron Jordan's really the only capable one. Finally, the team only asked Winston to drop back 30 times, compared to 41 against the Titans.But the offensive line played better, too. Specifically, they were much better in picking up movement and the blitz. Either Jameis Winston was more on point with his recognition and protection calls, or the linemen got better at communicating among themselves -- likely, it was a bit of both. In addition, the Saints didn't blitz as much as expected, perhaps hoping that Winston would throw some balls into coverage. That didn't happen.This improved performance doesn't mean the team's offensive line problems are fixed. Ali Marpet got beat too quickly on a couple of plays, including the touchdown throw to Vincent Jackson. Joe Hawley also struggled when he got in the game, and Logan Mankins is lowly continuing his decline -- but all of those can be compensated for with quality communication and some help.One player the Bucs can't compensate for adequately is Donovan Smith, who has looked out of sorts in his first two games after a solid preseason. He showed some improvement in game two, especially as the game wore on, but he has somewhat slow feet and worse, a tendency to stop them and turn his hips far too quickly when players threaten the edge -- that has led to him being beat easily on subsequent inside moves. He's going to have to fix those issues or sooner or later, Kevin Pamphile will be the better option at left tackle. He's just a rookie, though, so some patience is certainly warrant.Still, the offensive line's second game was relatively encouraging. This week, the real test: J.J. Watt and company are on the schedule.linkrooks_zpsvkii3hoj.png

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ali is a beast. Smith, I'm not so sure about, but he certainly needs more time before we whip out the pitchforks.Personally, i think they finally kicked warhop's ass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn’t know we had the most rookie starters. Its a very young team. If we can make a little noise this season, then have another good draft. We will be in business. Assuming the big guy pans out at QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching Donovan Smith all last night and it is a miracle that they only counted four pressures. Smith was beaten badly on just  about every passing down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching Donovan Smith all last night and it is a miracle that they only counted four pressures. Smith was beaten badly on just  about every passing down.

It's called growing pains or growing painfully.  It's either one or the other or both.  LOL Trial by fire...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't know we had the most rookie starters. Its a very young team. If we can make a little noise this season, then have another good draft. We will be in business. Assuming the big guy pans out at QB.

A lot of the older players on the roster this year probably are not even on the roster next year.  This team will become the youngest team in the NFL by next year for sure. 

Camern Jordan is a good player.  However, he is just a preview of what Smith will go up against throughout the year. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers played much better football against the New Orleans Saints than they did against the Tennessee Titans, and one place where that showed up was the offensive line, specifically the pass protection. According to Pro Football Focus, the Bucs gave up just four pressures all game long -- a significant improvement over last week, when Winston seemed to be under duress every other play.

Not sure which orifice the author pulled this out of, but it's not correct.  PFF has the Bucs OL with 10 total QB pressures (1 sack, 1 hit, & 8 hurries)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers played much better football against the New Orleans Saints than they did against the Tennessee Titans, and one place where that showed up was the offensive line, specifically the pass protection. According to Pro Football Focus, the Bucs gave up just four pressures all game long -- a significant improvement over last week, when Winston seemed to be under duress every other play.

Not sure which orifice the author pulled this out of, but it's not correct.  PFF has the Bucs OL with 10 total QB pressures (1 sack, 1 hit, & 8 hurries)

The Saints had 2 sacks, both times Donavon Smith was the guy who got beat to give up the sack. Cameron Jordan got one and No.91 had the other. Kasem Edebali, whoever that is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Saints had 2 sacks, both times Donavon Smith was the guy who got beat to give up the sack. Cameron Jordan got one and No.91 had the other. Kasem Edebali, whoever that is.

The Saints actually had three (Jordan, Edebali, & Kikaha) sacks.  PFF has those other two sacks on Winston.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah those two other sacks are considered coverage sacks but again that depends on how you define a coverage sack.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah those two other sacks are considered coverage sacks but again that depends on how you define a coverage sack.

The one Edebali had was just Winston holding the ball too long whilst DSmith did NOTHING to help. Smith had another chance to get Edebaldi after he initially got beat but he just stood there and watched. He could have blocked a few people but he was a bystander on the play. IMO we have issues at LT. A good defense will destroy Winston. Which the Texans are.I expect to see lots of help for DSmith this week, like they did in the second half vs the Saints. I hope the run lots of rollouts against Houston. A screen pass to the right side repeatedly is a great way to slow that right end down a bit. I hope Koetter can make this work!Thanks Biggs, I though the Kikaha strip fumble he was actually over the LOS but I guess not.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

It's amazing how two people can watch the same thing and come up with different outcomes. I too watched every snap of his from NO, and I thought he actually played pretty decent against the pass. He held his own against defenders that were clearly the edge rusher, other than twice I saw Jordan beat him straight up, one resulting in a sack. The other times he gets into trouble is when say a corner or LB blitzes off the edge and the DL drops into coverage or stunts inside, he then has to recognize who the free Blitzer is and get in position to block them, and quite often he gets confused when he has to make a decision like that. What I am encouraged about is his strength and his growth. If he keeps learning his role and understanding defenses better, he'll be petty damn good with the experience he's gaining.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they give up that many pressures in the first quarter alone this week. Anyone see Cherilus’ work against Watt last season? 4 sacks, 1 fumble return for a TD. It’s gonna be a looooong day, folks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

These guys are a work in progress.  Did they play better than the week before?  I’d say so.  Still not where we want them to be but I thought progress was made.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they give up that many pressures in the first quarter alone this week. Anyone see Cherilus' work against Watt last season? 4 sacks, 1 fumble return for a TD. It's gonna be a looooong day, folks.

He played through a groin injury and knee injury that ultimately forced him to shut it down last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Smith has a bright future as a very good lineman, but I’m not sure that future is at LT.  I just don’t see the feet for it.  Don’t get me wrong he will probably be decent at LT but weighing that against him being a top shelf RT or G and we may have him in the wrong spot.

Please wait…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.