Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Buccaneers offensive line has been much-improved, despite injuriesBy Sander Philipse Oct 17, 2015imp_zpsirlqacgc.pngReinhold Matay-USA TODAY SportsThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers had what was probably the worst offensive line in the NFL. Despite that, they didn't thoroughly overhaul it this offseason: Logan Mankins, Evan Smith and Demar Dotson were retained as starters, with the addition of Donovan Smith at left tackle and Ali Marpet at right guard the only significant moves to help the starting line. Starting two rookies to make your line better isn't usually a recipe for success.Of course, that didn't last long. Demar Dotson has been out with a knee injury and is unlikely to return before week eight. Evan Smith has missed the past two games, and Mankins missed the last game. In addition, Donovan Smith has really struggled to keep up in pass protection -- the only true bright spot on the line has been Ali Marpet, who's seemingly getting better every game.But despite all of those issues, the offensive line has held up admirably, in no small part because of the Bucs' efforts to help them out. While the linemen have certainly played better than last year, Dirk Koetter has also anticipated and compensated for their deficiencies far more efficiently. Tampa Bay routinely keeps extra blockers in and uses backs and tight ends to chip pass rushers, while screen passes and three-step drops help neuter the effects of a leaky offensive line.Another major factor in the Bucs offensive improvement is the fact that Doug Martin and Charles Sims are playing far better football than they were last  year. Good backs make their offensive line look better than it is by pressing the hole, finding seams and making people miss. Both backs are doing that with some consistency now.None of that is to say that the Bucs are good enough, though. They rank 31st in Football Outsiders' DVOA, and most of their production has come in just one game. Still, the performance of the offensive line while not dominant has still been encouraging -- as has the team's ability to handle the inevitable problems.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wait, what does PFF say?

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

Yep.  Ali Marpet has been the best Buc draft pick sunce Ruud

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs o-line is moving in the right direction but still a loooooooooong ways to go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs o-line is moving in the right direction but still a loooooooooong ways to go.

I think last season we had a looooooooong way to go. This season we are more like half way there.  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think last season we had a looooooooong way to go. This season we are more like half way there.  ;D

Glass half full. I like that.The two rookies have done well, marpet especially. They both are probably going to get better too, so that's encouraging.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glass half full. I like that.The two rookies have done well, marpet especially. They both are probably going to get better too, so that's encouraging.

The o-line is further ahead with run blocking. This is the norm for most lines as most o-linemen prefer to run block. We will get there.  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After watching last weeks coaches film I believe Marpet is already our best Olineman. Donovan Smith is also improving, but Marpet is already executing advanced concepts in the run game.  Not too bad for a late 2nd rounder. He is the best rookie RG at this point IMO, better than John Miller, or Scherff at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After watching last weeks coaches film I believe Marpet is already our best Olineman. Donovan Smith is also improving, but Marpet is already executing advanced concepts in the run game.  Not too bad for a late 2nd rounder. He is the best rookie RG at this point IMO, better than John Miller, or Scherff at this point.

Better than scherff? Idk...maybe?I'm really surprised with marpet. I would've taken him or smith as well, if the idea was to draft qb at one, but i am impressed with his abilities this far along. Strong, smart, understands what the calls are, especially in the run game. I also noticed that he doesnt lumber around the los. If the whistle hasn't blown, hes got a defender upstream.Now just think, ..if we had a good ol coach, how much better they both might already be?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep.  Ali Marpet has been the best Buc draft pick sunce Ruud

In this week's edition of White Guys from Around the League.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

LOL.  I didn’t even realize both guys were white until you said something.  Unlike you, I don’t think like that.  Not important to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL.  I didn't even realize both guys were white until you said something.  Unlike you, I don't think like that.  Not important to me.

Flip flopped, the same guy who was happy when Tampa passed on Kuechly

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL.  I didn't even realize both guys were white until you said something.  Unlike you, I don't think like that.  Not important to me.

.,......riight ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fan question:  If the Bucs had started Glennon at the beginning of the season would we go all in for the perfect season or would we already be resting starters for our playoff run?  Your thoughts?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Marpet and D. Smith are both beasts in run game. They both can struggle in pass protection, I think Smith more than Marpet. Between both of them improving, hopefully, Winston improving, hopefully, and the return and continued health of ASJ, this offense should look much better in the 2nd half of the year.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.