Buccaneers’ phone ringing off hook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If you have a QB you feel is a special once in a generation type guy, you take NO trades, you pick him no matter what...just because the Bucs will get multiple draft picks doesn't mean they won't be busts or those draft picks will help the team..this team has an awful history of selecting talent in the draft

Winston isn't that QB though. He looks average to above average. The other options are an elite mobile QB, some teams are scared on mobile QB's right now, and then a bunch of far below average QBs.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you have a QB you feel is a special once in a generation type guy, you take NO trades, you pick him no matter what...just because the Bucs will get multiple draft picks doesn't mean they won't be busts or those draft picks will help the team..this team has an awful history of selecting talent in the draft

Winston isn't that QB though. He looks average to above average. The other options are an elite mobile QB, some teams are scared on mobile QB's right now, and then a bunch of far below average QBs.

Wait a minute. So Winston is average and Mariota is elite?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If you have a QB you feel is a special once in a generation type guy, you take NO trades, you pick him no matter what...

I believe this is correct, which speaks to their opinion on the two QB options if they decide to trade back.

Yeah, but as mentioned, above, the Glazers won't allow a non-QB option.

I believe this is pure speculation, though, and there's nothing to support the statement other than wishful thinking.

Under the trade scenario, the Bucs would likely select a QB but not Mariota or Winston. I don't think it happens even though I can see an argument for it.

I think it's possible to come up with a convoluted scenario where the Bucs remain in position to take the second QB, but if they trade out, it's a pretty good indication of what they think of the two QBs.Also, I think if they trade out, they're committing themselves to Mike Glennon at the QB going forward unless they trade for Rivers or Bradford. It may work out that they trade out, start Glennon and then take a QB next year, but that would be results-based and not part of a specific plan to target someone next year.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Mike Freeman:

A Buccaneers source tells me the team's phone is "ringing off the hook" with teams calling about the possibility of trading up.Now, I know this leak is self-serving. The Buccaneers want the impression out there that a number of teams want the top pick, thus possibly driving up the market value. But I trust this person wholeheartedly and believe it.This is also an indicator of something else. Teams are reverting back to the theory that you draft a player who will help you win, no matter the player's baggage.Maybe nothing ever changed, but we heard so much about how teams would change in the post-Ray Rice world. The league office changed. Teams? Not so much. The interest in Winston from teams—not to mention the Bucs may draft him first—proves that the old NFL is back. If it ever truly left.

lINK: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2435348-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-marcus-mariota-the-next-blaine-gabbertYeah. I don't know about anyone else, but I still have that sinking feeling that the Bucs could easily (censored) this up. No doubt in my mind that they could easily trade out and take themselves out of the running for JW/MM.With Licht intentionally pushing that "trade the pick" (censored), don't be surprised if our QB is still Glennon and maybe Hundley, Petty etc. SMFH.

Calm down.The only way we trade out of the running is if we get compensated accordingly. Licht has already said as much to the media. I'd imagine we won't enter serious trade talks unless another team offered up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for the next 3-4 years.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Passing on Winston is near impossible to me and it would be a real bad decision. If we did do that and went with Glennon, there would be only one way for me to say "ok lets do this then". Theyd have to trade with the Browns and get their 2 firsts and more. With those 2 first we draft Andrus Peat, and La El Collins, and we also make a trade for AP. then we have more picks to do other stuff.QB: GlennonOline: Peat/Dotson, Mankins, EDS, Collins, Peat/Dotson.RB: Adrian PetersonIf we didnt know we had the option at Winston, that would be a sick improvement to our team and wed all be pretty damn happy.  Since we do know itd mean we passed on Winston its still depressing.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I still can't see this, for the same reason listed. You add a player that will help you win. There is no trade out there that gives us a QB and makes us better. Licht would be signing his resignation by trading that pick.

Just wait until you are camped out at RayJay, Tampa is on the clock, and GODell walks to the podium and says..."Tampa has traded the first pick in the 2015 NFL Draft to..."

immediate cardiac arrest for me!!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Trade the pick!  Wait until you know it’s the best trade… but, trade that pick!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Trade the pick!  Wait until you know it's the best trade... but, trade that pick!

because we have our franchise QB in Glennon!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Would be interesting to know if they would be comfortable with either MM or JW…in which case they could look to engineer a 3 way trade that would land them the #2 pick and additional picks/compensation…and then they simply draft whichever QB doesn’t go #1.  I don’t expect that to happen…I think they’ve landed on JW.  Personally I preferred MM, but if Jameis is the pick I will fervently hope that he’s matured, that the civil suit doesn’t go badly…and that the “IT’ factor that certainly surrounded him as a junior manifests to allow him to become the elite franchise QB that the Bucs have never had.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If the value of the trade assets is greater than the value of Winston or MM, you make the trade.  Its not that complicated.  Glennon is fine as the stop gap if you build the Oline.  I haven't seen anything that says Winston is a once in a generation talent. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Not getting winston, Mariota , or at least Philip rivers would be negligent.  I like Glennon but I do not think he has top 10 QB potential.  Rivers, Winston, or Mariota at least give us that hope.  I prefer winston, but we need a franchise QB for sustained success so if they think Mariota is the answer, great!  Whatever we do we can’t take a non QB with the pick or make a trade that does not include an great QB like rivers. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, guys, you’re the Bucs GM. Name the vet QB that if packaged in a deal you would take for our prized pick. Manning? Brady? Rodgers? Wilson? Brees? Who?    There's gotta be one, that if packaged with some high picks or other vets you'd take. Remember, these vets are proven, neither Winston or Mariota are...

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve long criticized this board for a variety of nonsense. One of the biggest is the idea we need a better QB. My argument has always been that you simply don’t do get a better QB just because you want one. You can draft a QB or sign one through FA or trade. QB’s worth having do not hit the market. We’ve seen guys like Kaepernick, Dalton and Alex Smith sign very big contracts based on their skill just because teams couldn’t find anyone better.We've complained about Freeman and Glennon and people wanted better. So we signed "better" in Josh McCown and he was garbage. We actually have a chance of drafting a very talented QB this and I can't see us passing that up. If Glennon had played all year and we knew what his ceiling was, maybe, just maybe we'd trade down and roll with Glennon. Any franchise in the league gets very few opportunities to grab a QB with #1 overall talent. Very talented QBs are gone early in drafts and don't hit FA. We have to take this chance regardless of anything else. Who is the choice but we HAVE to draft a QB.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Taking calls is no big deal at all, doesn't mean we are trading down. If an offer comes though you can't refuse you have to think about it. I sure hope if we do trade down we get a king's ransom.

King's ransom means absolutely NOTHING if you have no QB, plus your banking on L&L being able to make good picks with that King's ransom, you have more trust in the Bucs then I do

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

the Bucs are the pretty girl in school that all the guys are asking to the prom. Already knows who she is going with but will milk all the attention until the last minute.The fact that the phone is ringing off the hook just validates the pick.said it before and I'll say it again: we didn't tank week 17 to draft Leonard Williams or to trade down, they know exactly who and what they want and that is Jameis Winston.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.