Buccaneers talking to Bengals for #1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    DEBUCSOWN
    Participant

Per pewterplank.

5 teams have checked in on the #1 pick so far.

Would obviously be costly. Perhaps worth it for Burrow though?

Thoughts?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not true.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

@DEBUCSOWN, What should the Bucs trade for him?  You post this and then leave it for everyone else to tell you you’re crazy and that it can’t be done.  Instead, Why don’t you tell us what the Bucs should give up that the Bengals would accept to move up from 14 to 1 and then I’d be happy to respond as to whether I agree with that assessment.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Live4BUCS
    Participant

You’ll be talking multiple 1st rounders (2-3) and a 2nd and maybe even OJ as part of a package. It’ll be more expensive than the RG3 trade the skins did.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Greattimes
    Participant

Only if a team is on the cusp of greatness, would giving up the draft choices needed to move up make any sense. The Bucs are nowhere near being on the cusp of greatness. The Bucs need to spend the majority of their cap money resigning players. If 1 or 2 of the players who performed last year sign with other teams, the Bucs have huge holes to fill. Without the draft choices needed to rebuild, the Bucs will continue to be a losing team into the distant future. Bad idea.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    RHBucsFan
    Participant

I would do it. Why not?
    Jameis has been a flop and we need a star QB to compete in this league.
    What else would our GM do with the picks? Select more DBs and Kickers

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

I’m not advocating anything at this point. But lets just do some speculation.

Let us say it takes 1, 2, 3 this year and 1, 2 next year.

5 picks for 1 QB (the most important position in all of sports) that may be the answer. There is a “may be” attached to each of those picks.

1) Those two mid-1sts have about a 45-50 % chance of not busting. Not great player ROI assurance, just not busting. Let us say, 1 of those 2 work out, and they’re actually a solid to + football player. Lets say a RT that plays for 2 contracts and is an asset, but not a huge difference-maker; an asset for 2 contracts.

2) As we certainly know, 2nd round pick volatility is high. We’re talking about something like a 65 % bust rate. There is a fair chance that one guy becomes a decent football player that is one contract and gone (or injury-prone and out) and the other guy busts out of the league.

3) 3rd round gets even more volatile. I want to say 1 in 4 of these guys (I can’t remember the exact math of the study done) turns out to be a productive football player. Let us say neither busts but both are long-tenured journeyman depth players who provide spot starter help/special teams.

So a very reasonable look at the return for those 5 picks are:

– Good football player who is an asset for 2 contracts, but not a difference-maker.
    – Decent football player who is one contract and gone.
    – 2 * depth and spot starters that round out the middle/bottom of the roster nicely for 4-7 years.

+++++++++++++++++++

How do you feel about trading up for a potential difference-maker at the most important position in professional sports now?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pepsi
    Participant

@Nobody – I’ve been in favor of trading up for a difference maker many times for those reasons. Bosa’s, Clowney, Nelson. Sometimes I like trading back when it makes sense.

With the Bucs current situation I actually think a monster move up for Burrow makes sense. Thats a huge cap saving at QB position, can bring back the entire defense. If the second half of the year defense is the real Bucs defense then all wed need to compete with the top dogs is to field a starting RT and Burrow. Can probably afford a solid RB to pair with Jones too

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

But Jameis is amazing and should get a tender, so he’s worth 2 first round picks right there! Trade (franchised) Jameis, our 14th pick and 2021 1st rounder for their 1st pick and we’re in business!

/s

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GameTime
    Participant

I’d say any QB taken this year has huge bust potential.  Gotta also think next years first will be a better pick than 14.  I wouldn’t mortgage the future on any of these guys.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    acacius
    Participant

I’ll say that if they’re ready to move on from Jameis, I’d feel better about a Rams-style trade for Burrow than I would taking Eason at 14.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Detrimental
    Participant

Not sold on Burrow as an elite qb prospect. If this was Andrew Luck type prospect, then yes, I’d be all in for this trade up. If Arians believes Burrow can be that guy then, I’ll support him. Use the $$$ on extending Godwin, bringing key leaders back on defense, and upgrading the RT position.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Graham
    Participant

Of course they are.  As they should be with every single team in front of and behind them in the draft.  Determine ahead of time how other teams value their selections and then make moves accordingly.

Burrow is just as much of an unknown player as the picks being given up.  Is Burrow that much better of a prospect than Jameis was?  They’re pretty close statistically in their two full college years starting.

Would you have given up that much for Winston had we not had the #1 pick?

Would you have given up the opportunity to draft a “potential difference-maker at the most important position in professional sports.”  The Bucs didn’t.  The Bengals shouldn’t either.

You take that opportunity when you have it every single time.  They’ll need a Brinks truck worth of picks to move off #1 overall.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Bucsftw3
    Participant

If they traded up it wouldn’t be for Burrows it would be for Young imo.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GameTime
    Participant

If they traded up it wouldn’t be for Burrows it would be for Young imo.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>
    Why not just sign clowney in that case?</p>

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.