Buccaneers talking to Bengals for #1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    acacius
    Participant

If they traded up it wouldn’t be for Burrows it would be for Young imo.

Now, that I would hate.  As good of a player as Young likely will be, the only player who *might* be worth what it would cost to trade up to #1 is Burrow, and that by virtue of the position he plays.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

They’re pretty close statistically in their two full college years starting.

Is your google working correctly?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    ufcguy32
    Participant

I’d love to see us move up for burrow. Sign rivers and draft burrow. You gotta take that risk and at this point we are at a crossroads.  We either have jameis or nobody when u think of it. So why not go after burrow. Trade them 2 first, a 2nd  and oj howard.  Resign your defense and then go from there

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thought you guys were in the Brady-sweepstakes.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    ufcguy32
    Participant

Lol ya itd be nice but I doubt brady comes

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    SCLOBERNOCKER
    Participant

I havent seen a college QB coming out I have liked as much as I did Jameis until Burrow. Jameis didnt become what we wanted, but hot damn does Burrow look the part. He’d be the only guy Id sell the farm for if they really thing we are close, and perhaps we are if we had a QB that could push it down field consistently, make accurate/timely reads, and not turn the damn ball over. Like its been said, this would allow us 5 more years of low cost QBing (hopefully at a relatively high level) and sink that money back into the D and keep it intact.

Im not convinced they do it, but Id be on board. Burrow is legit.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Bucsftw3
    Participant

I havent seen a college QB coming out I have liked as much as I did Jameis until Burrow. Jameis didnt become what we wanted, but hot damn does Burrow look the part. He’d be the only guy Id sell the farm for if they really thing we are close, and perhaps we are if we had a QB that could push it down field consistently, make accurate/timely reads, and not turn the damn ball over. Like its been said, this would allow us 5 more years of low cost QBing (hopefully at a relatively high level) and sink that money back into the D and keep it intact.   Im not convinced they do it, but Id be on board. Burrow is legit.

This team is no where close to winning with a rookie QB, they have far to many holes to fill, especially if Suh and JPP walk in FA. I personally would rather the Bucs keep the draft picks, sign a FA QB or Franchise Jameis and see if the Lasik he just got will stop his dam turnovers.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    dexmonkey
    Participant

no chance thats true

it would cripple the team to give up the amount of draft capital it would take to get that far up

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    CyberDilemma
    Participant

I’m not advocating anything at this point. But lets just do some speculation.

Let us say it takes 1, 2, 3 this year and 1, 2 next year.

5 picks for 1 QB (the most important position in all of sports) that may be the answer. There is a “may be” attached to each of those picks.

1) Those two mid-1sts have about a 45-50 % chance of not busting. Not great player ROI assurance, just not busting. Let us say, 1 of those 2 work out, and they’re actually a solid to + football player. Lets say a RT that plays for 2 contracts and is an asset, but not a huge difference-maker; an asset for 2 contracts.

2) As we certainly know, 2nd round pick volatility is high. We’re talking about something like a 65 % bust rate. There is a fair chance that one guy becomes a decent football player that is one contract and gone (or injury-prone and out) and the other guy busts out of the league.

3) 3rd round gets even more volatile. I want to say 1 in 4 of these guys (I can’t remember the exact math of the study done) turns out to be a productive football player. Let us say neither busts but both are long-tenured journeyman depth players who provide spot starter help/special teams.

So a very reasonable look at the return for those 5 picks are:

– Good football player who is an asset for 2 contracts, but not a difference-maker.

– Decent football player who is one contract and gone.

– 2 * depth and spot starters that round out the middle/bottom of the roster nicely for 4-7 years.

+++++++++++++++++++

How do you feel about trading up for a potential difference-maker at the most important position in professional sports now?

The one negative is you would be foregoing the cheap labor those 5 draft picks would be providing for their first contracts (5 x 4 = 20 league years) which would have an impact on the salary cap. A sizable chunk of that could be offset by having a lower QB salary from the pick.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    dexmonkey
    Participant

@CyberDilemma

theres more than one possible negative scenario

if the QB flames out you are beyond screwed. id much rather take those 5 swings at the plate than go all out for just 1. you hit a grand slam at qb and have to figure out how to build a roster with mid round talent or you blow it at qb and have to figure out how to build a roster with mid round talent and hand over high draft picks

no thanks

i dont remember the last time a mega trade worked. Julio Jones i guess and that wasnt even that high up

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    mgchat76
    Participant

Hopefully the Bengals coach sees Winston as a reclamation project and Licht can pull off a tag and trade. Send the Bengals Winston, OJ (or Brate), this year’s 1st, 3rd and one of our 4ths, as well as next year’s first.  The Bengals could get a starting QB, starting TE (Eifert is a FA), and a bunch of picks. We’d get Burrow, and still have a 2nd rd to find an OT.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TCB2W!
    Participant

@Graham

So let me get this straight. Literally 250% Ints from Jameis is the “pretty close statistically.” Did you say that with a straight face?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    wolfet
    Participant

Normally not a fan of trading up (especially for kickers:)but for what you think is a franchise QB, yes go for it.  You can augment with FA for two years if need be.  The key I see, is only dealing with it for two years.  Resign jpp, suh, and Shaq and try to limit their guarantee money to two years.  That way 3 years from now you have room to rebuild through draft and with younger free agents.  Go for it, be bold.  I like this burrow kid.  Go back and watch fiesta bowl versus UCF, look at the hit he took.  Kid is tough as hell and has a legit arm.  I’m tired of losing and not having a franchise QB.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Hockey Duckie
    Participant

@Nobody,

You have five cracks at one or more player being an NFL player.  You have one crack at it with QB.

With QB’s, their draft selections are often inflated due to narrative necessity.  The BPA this year is Young, but the Bengals have no QB.

What’s also missing is context.  Recall we had Steve Young, but no team.  How did that work.  Similarly, we had Winston and no team.  How’s that still working?

I don’t trust our FO staff with talent evaluations and curtailing pieces to maximize them.  Rather than to listen to the previous coaching regime, GM Licht doubled down on Winston with a new coaching staff and Winston created his own club, the infamous 30-30 club of one member.

We have so many holes to fill and so much uncertainty at OLine and secondary that you’re playing with fire if your team is looking to win today as opposed to growing a youth group together.

We’re in a win-now mode for a couple of years now, especially so with Arians.  Our record last year is also inflated due to a weaker SoS.

San Fran traded for Jimmy G with a 2nd round pick.  He only threw 8 passes in the NFC championship game and won.  I’m just saying there’s more than one way to construct a team and we’re not in a position to trade for a QB at the moment.  I request to use scope and context in these decisions.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BucsBay
    Participant

Why would cincy do that?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.