Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

The Buccaneers front office has undergone a makeover this offseason starting with the firing of GM Mark Dominik in January then losing Dennis Hickey and Eric Stokes this spring. Tampa Bay has now replaced the three former employees after the announced hiring of a new director of college scouting on Friday.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9828

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad hire.

Please wait…

• jamesh

Participant

How long before they consider replacing Shelton Quarles, I wonder?He has had a significant role in the pro personnel dept since '11...and that side of the scouting has had multiple missteps in that time frame. Can't all be placed on one or two individuals, but I would think that he is on a rather short leash at this point.Resigning of Quincy Black, Davin Joseph, Jeremy Trueblood. Signed vets Michael Koenan, Eric Wright, Dashon Goldson, and Carl Nicks...etc. So yes, a lot of these signings and re-signings might be mostly the fault of bad decisions by the GM and HCs, but I have to believe that they rely heavily on the pro personnel scouting dept when making decisions on who to target and who on the roster they should replace/keep. Will be interesting to see if they hang onto Quarles as the DPP if quite a few of the new FA signings don't work out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad hire.

He's not Jessica?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How long before they consider replacing Shelton Quarles, I wonder?He has had a significant role in the pro personnel dept since '11...and that side of the scouting has had multiple missteps in that time frame. Can't all be placed on one or two individuals, but I would think that he is on a rather short leash at this point.Resigning of Quincy Black, Davin Joseph, Jeremy Trueblood. Signed vets Michael Koenan, Eric Wright, Dashon Goldson, and Carl Nicks...etc. So yes, a lot of these signings and re-signings might be mostly the fault of bad decisions by the GM and HCs, but I have to believe that they rely heavily on the pro personnel scouting dept when making decisions on who to target and who on the roster they should replace/keep. Will be interesting to see if they hang onto Quarles as the DPP if quite a few of the new FA signings don't work out.

I'd argue that nicks was a good signing. You can't foresee injury or Mrsa and he's one of the best at his position when healthy. In hindsight, his injury has made it a bad signing but it was something that you can't predict and not something anyone takes into account when signing FAs with no major injury history. Koenen and godson were also solid signings, just overpriced for their production.The rest were overpaid and most everyone knew it at the time of their signings. Their production didn't even come close to justifying their contracts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pro scouts don't get paid to decide which current players to re-sign and which high profile free agents to target. Anyone can do that. That's what the head coach mostly does with some help from the GM. Pro scouts keep track of all the scrubs in the league. They watch and monitor all the other teams' second and third string players for waiver wire and practice squad claims. Quarles' department would be responsible for the Bobby Rainey and Jamon Meredith type moves.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht retooling the college scouting department…makes sense…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad hire.

just out of curiosity , why do you say that?  You can’t possibly know much about the guy.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

There’s no way in hell I’m naive enough to believe that Nicks was fine one minute and the next he was suffering from the effects of long term injury. Hamburger toe does not happen overnight. Dude had a problem when we signed him and we chose to overlook it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad hire.

just out of curiosity , why do you say that?  You can't possibly know much about the guy.

His history relative to where college players are.  It's kind of like the Cardinals, i'm never too impressed by anything that comes from the Chargers organization.  They have had some good years and I am a big Rivers fan but give me someone from Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Seattle, Denver or San Fran.  His position is extremely important and at first glance I dont like it. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So in other words you don’t know a damn thing but feel compelled to call him a bad hire.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

No one can be worse than Hickey’s clown crew.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So in other words you don't know a damn thing but feel compelled to call him a bad hire.

Ding ding ding!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He lost me at “i’m a big rivers fan”.  Rivers is a douche

Please wait…

• jamesh

Participant

I'd argue that nicks was a good signing. You can't foresee injury or Mrsa and he's one of the best at his position when healthy. In hindsight, his injury has made it a bad signing but it was something that you can't predict and not something anyone takes into account when signing FAs with no major injury history. Koenen and godson were also solid signings, just overpriced for their production.The rest were overpaid and most everyone knew it at the time of their signings. Their production didn't even come close to justifying their contracts.

Fair enough on the Nicks point. I had it in my head that he may have had some issues at NO, but looking back, he seemed to be relatively healthy and never missed a game.Koenen is solid, but certainly overpaid.Goldson was much less than solid. He was one of the worst safeties in the league last year. Missed a lot of tackles and seemed to be out of position in coverage quite often. One of my best friends is 9ers fan and he said those two things are nothing new with Goldson. So that is something the pro personnel dept could have picked up on if Goldson doesn't show major improvement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So in other words you don't know a damn thing but feel compelled to call him a bad hire.

He's a bad hire.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s a list of the chargers drafts.  He was mid west scout from 2001-2007.  He found some good players.  Sporles.  Possibly our very own Vincent Jackson. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/draft.htm

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Micheal Turner, Nate kaeding, Ben Leber, Shaun Phillips, nick hardwick, Quentin Jammer…maybe Eric Weddle and if he was involved in the 2001 draft Drew Brees and Tomlison were mid west guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10lb ass, you suck!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Micheal Turner, Nate kaeding, Ben Leber, Shaun Phillips, nick hardwick, Quentin Jammer...maybe Eric Weddle and if he was involved in the 2001 draft Drew Brees and Tomlison were mid west guys.

Zero rings.  Real simple.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was their lack of winning a Super Bowl due to lack of talent?  For a stretch, they were considered the most talented team in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems to me their best players came mostly out of the mid west during that time and a lot of those names I mentioned were mid round guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was their lack of winning a Super Bowl due to lack of talent?  For a stretch, they were considered the most talented team in the league.

That is a stretch.  They were never considered anything more than a pretty good team for a little while.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You have no clue what you are talking about.  They went 14-2 one year and everyone was calling them the most talented team in the league.  Their failure to win it all that year cost Marty his job. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Throw in Luis Castillo was well.  He was a pretty good player for awhile.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trust in the Licht. I think he knows what he’s doing…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10 pounds of dumb ass…the resident negative nellie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trust in the Licht. I think he knows what he's doing...

Agreed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10 pounds of dumb ass...the resident negative nellie.

Dumber words have rarely been written.

Please wait…

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.