Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 46 reply threads

• Author

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Tampa Bay is also #5 overall in yards allowed per play.Bucs are #7 overall against the pass and #27 against the run.Bucs are tied #5 overall in sacks (with Ravens and Bengals).Bucs are #2 overall in terms of forced fumbles.Bucs scoring defense is #32 in the NFL.With the bye week coming up I think Lovie and his staff can sit down and address the red zone woes that has been the problem with the Bucs.  Overall, the defense is the surprise of the season thus far.Lavonte David and Kwon Alexander need deeper drops to disrupt pass patterns and make cleaner tackles.  It seems to me there is a lot of miscommunication on the backend with the safties and poor angles.  Defensive line is playing top ball but there is room for improvement in containing mobile QB's.Overall, I am satisfied with the defense and I think there is room for improvement.

Please wait…

Build the trenches!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whatever the bugs are in the backend need to be addressed…LD needs to play like an elite player...  need Banks healthy...Good time for the defense to get square during the bye.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As much flak as Jenkins receives he hasn’t been the problem in pass defense this season.  Jennings simply wears out defending go routes over a long period of time.Jennings looked better in a lesser role shadowing Cooks earlier in the year.  He is an old man in football terms and probably should go back to shadowing the smaller, shiftier WR's during passing downs.  Let Verner, Jenkins and Banks matchup with the big boys on the outside running go and post routes.Bucs will definitely be drafting a safety to compliment McDougald.  Bucs LB's need deeper drops to stop the slants and mid field crossing routes. Alexander did tip one, so there is room for improvement.But given how much the Bucs have been gashed on the ground playing the run more seems logical to me then worrying about the pass.Lavonte David seems to be pressing to hard, because he is flying to the football and making plays at times.  But he is leaving a lot of plays on the field that should be made.George Johnson looked better as the #3 DE and doesn't look as worn out when he is fresh from the bench.Howard Jones looks like the joker or LEO for Lovie's defense with the way he was used.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem with these statistics are that they have given up less yards because of all the turnovers and missed FG’s. They have been working with bad field position. They have given up a lot of scores on those. The good Bucs defenses used to bail out the offense when they turned the ball over. I know the defense is not as bad as some people think  but I don't think they  are even a middle of the pack defense at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem with these statistics are that they have given up less yards because of all the turnovers and missed FG's. They have been working with bad field position. They have given up a lot of scores on those. The good Bucs defenses used to bail out the offense when they turned the ball over. I know the defense is not as bad as some people think  but I don't think they  are even a middle of the pack defense at this point.

Those Bucs defense were elite that bailed out the anemic Dungy offenses.  This is definitely not an elite defense.  With that said red zone defense has to improve. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem with these statistics are that they have given up less yards because of all the turnovers and missed FG's. They have been working with bad field position.

that doesnt justify the Bucs being #5 in yards allowed per play.agree on g johnson, it was nice to see him have some solid plays.lavonte just isnt finishing.  or hes hesitating and being a step late.  maybe its bad luck, but it is odd.  mcdougald isnt playing well imo.  missing a lot of tackles.my main issue with the defense - and i certainly dont know how its coached - is the CBs letting the WRs get such easy releases inside and the big holes between the LBs and the Ss.  maybe the LBs are getting their drops, maybe the Ss are too deep.  maybe we ask too much in the scheme?  but hurns/robinson made those ins/slants look real easy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Last in points allowed is the only stat that matters. The defense is still terrible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Last in points allowed is the only stat that matters. The defense is still terrible.

You sound like Scott Reynolds?  8) This is the danger in only looking at ONE statistical category.  You have to look at all of it to get the full picture.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You sound like Scott Reynolds?  8) This is the danger in only looking at ONE statistical category.  You have to look at all of it to get the full picture.

It's the only stat that matters regarding the defense. Yards allowed stat is stupid. The Bucs outgained the Panthers in week 4 by over 200 yards and still got destroyed because the Panthers had short fields due to turnovers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's the only stat that matters regarding the defense. Yards allowed stat is stupid. The Bucs outgained the Panthers in week 4 by over 200 yards and still got destroyed because the Panthers had short fields due to turnovers.

We will have to agree to disagree.The Bucs defense is forcing turnovers.  They are forcing a lot of fumbles and are starting to pick up some INTs too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This.Kudos though for 2 things:3rd down 25%2.9ypcThey stuffed the run and gambled Bortles wouldn't beat them through the air...  Blake Bortles 300y 4tds almost did ... Lovie bought himself some time to get the D sorted out, but this won't work against legit teams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This.Kudos though for 2 things:3rd down 25%2.9ypcThey stuffed the run and gambled Bortles wouldn't beat them through the air...  Blake Bortles 300y 4tds almost did ... Lovie bought himself some time to get the D sorted out, but this won't work against legit teams.

+1We got shredded by Bortles. This defense is not good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem with these statistics are that they have given up less yards because of all the turnovers and missed FG's. They have been working with bad field position.

that doesnt justify the Bucs being #5 in yards allowed per play.agree on g johnson, it was nice to see him have some solid plays.lavonte just isnt finishing.  or hes hesitating and being a step late.  maybe its bad luck, but it is odd.  mcdougald isnt playing well imo.  missing a lot of tackles.my main issue with the defense - and i certainly dont know how its coached - is the CBs letting the WRs get such easy releases inside and the big holes between the LBs and the Ss.  maybe the LBs are getting their drops, maybe the Ss are too deep.  maybe we ask too much in the scheme?  but hurns/robinson made those ins/slants look real easy.

Wilcox said in the telecast that Lavonte and Kwon needed to have deeper drops to disrupt Bortles passing lanes.  On one play Kwon did that and tipped a pass over the middle of the field.  Also, Wilcox pointed out that Lavonte missed TWO TFL situations against Yeldon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you dont see the disconnect here?  so because winston threw a pick 6 our defense stinks?  or because winston turned the ball over on our 20 our defense stinks just because they didnt stonewall the offense?if the opposing offense is given short fields, they will score more points.  its not the only stat that matters.  unless you think the defense needs to be all-world in order to protect a young offense?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wilcox said in the telecast that Lavonte and Kwon needed to have deeper drops to disrupt Bortles passing lanes.  On one play Kwon did that and tipped a pass over the middle of the field.  Also, Wilcox pointed out that Lavonte missed TWO TFL situations against Yeldon.

yeah, lavonte had one gimme where he made a great play just didnt finish.  then he had a great opportunity and either took a misstep or just hesitated.  hes being put in position, he just isnt finishing.if its on the LBs, then i gotta think we need to change the defense up.  i realize we are only in cover2 about a third of the time, but it might be impossible for the defense to get those deep drops in todays NFL.  if kwon/david arent athletic enough to get there, no one is.  there might just be too much misdirection, too many good play fakes in todays NFL to get that deep.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the Bucs scoring defense was middle of the pack, people would be saying this defense is playing at an elite level.  Bucs defense is obviously not elite because they have OBVIOUS flaws.But these flaws can be fixed and/or minimized.  The reason why the Bucs have been rotating safties so much is because they all have flaws but also strengths.  Losing sure tacklers like Conte and Tandy hurt the defense down the stretch in yesterday's game.  McDougald, and Swearinger are not good tacklers but they make up for it with the play against the pass.  Wright is beat by plays downfield too often but is a willing tackler to stuff runs behind the line of scrimmage. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you dont see the disconnect here?  so because winston threw a pick 6 our defense stinks?  or because winston turned the ball over on our 20 our defense stinks just because they didnt stonewall the offense?if the opposing offense is given short fields, they will score more points.  its not the only stat that matters.  unless you think the defense needs to be all-world in order to protect a young offense?

I'm not defending how the offense played in week 4, but I expect the defense to at least make a stop or 2. That being said the Jags scored 31 points on the Bucs defense. Blake Bortles had a fine game. The offense had zero turnovers, so you can't blame them this week. Also yes this defense stinks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Full picture = Bucs opponents strength of schedule is 8-15... inflated by the Panthers being 4-0.Full picture = Tennessee would rank last in the NFL in ppg (currently 8th) - if not for the Bucs game - where a QB that the Bucs studied for over a 4-month period was 13-15 for 200+ yards / 4 TD's and 0 Ints - and Bishop Sankey and Terrance West rushed for over 5 yards per carry.  In terms of yards per game, they're ranked 16th... without the Bucs gameFull picture = New Orelans would rank 25th in ypg if you discount the Bucs game - they're currently 7th.Full picture = Houston would rank dead last in ypg if it wasn't for the 413 yards they hung up on the Bucs.Full picture = The Panthers didn't need an offense to beat the Bucs.Full picture = The Jaguars rank 19th in ypg and 27th in ppg, managed to hang with the Bucs all the way when the Bucs put up 38 points.Full picture = Had teams had bye weeks instead of playing the Bucs when they did... they'd be at the bottom of the league in offense.  Meaning, these bad teams are having their best games against the Bucs.Yes, the offense and Winston's struggles are adding to the defensive problems and they are not as bad as the picture I'm painting... that said, they're not as good as you're trying to make them seem.  They're a middle of the pack defense (at best).  They should be better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, the opposing offense will need less yards to score.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

You forgot one stat:#32 in points allowed

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

my main issue with the defense - and i certainly dont know how its coached - is the CBs letting the WRs get such easy releases inside and the big holes between the LBs and the Ss.  maybe the LBs are getting their drops, maybe the Ss are too deep.  maybe we ask too much in the scheme?  but hurns/robinson made those ins/slants look real easy.

I already addressed the LB portion.  The CB's when playing man have to allow a clean release inside, because the refs will call pass interference beyond five yards and they did against Jennings.  When in zone coverage the CB's have to release the LB's and safties on inside plays to disrupt passes.I know people want to point to the CB's but it is clear the play of the LBs and safties has to improve.  There was a noticeable dropoff when Conte left yesterday's game. 

You forgot one stat:#32 in points allowed

I didn't forget it as it is in the first post of this thread.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not defending how the offense played in week 4, but I expect the defense to at least make a stop or 2. That being said the Jags scored 31 points on the Bucs defense. Blake Bortles had a fine game. The offense had zero turnovers, so you can't blame them this week. Also yes this defense stinks.

i just looked, the Bucs D forced 7 (SEVEN) stops against the panthers.  both of the panthers legit TDs started in Bucs territory.  and their 3rd TD?  was a fluke play coming off a fumble.this week yeah, i think bortles found a hole in the Bucs defense.  but in (not) reality, bortles should have had about 250 yards and 24 points.  giving up a 50yard TD pass on 4th and forever is just lazy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No... but, yes... though not really."No".  A team that doesn't stonewall an opponent from scoring when starting out in + territory doesn't mean your defense stinks."but, yes".  Specifically for the Bucs though, it does.  Reason being, the Bucs rank 10th in yards allowed per drive, but 25th in points allowed per drive.  Meaning, they virtually never stonewall the opponent.  Simply, have a better success rate than what they do."though not really".  Because this is a theme this entire season, a little slack can be given.  So, while they don't need to stop the opponent every time, they should more often... but the offense needs to help.In summation, they don't suck... but they're not as good as what ADW is portraying either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i just looked, the Bucs D forced 7 (SEVEN) stops against the panthers.  both of the panthers legit TDs started in Bucs territory.  and their 3rd TD?  was a fluke play coming off a fumble.this week yeah, i think bortles found a hole in the Bucs defense.  but in (not) reality, bortles should have had about 250 yards and 24 points.  giving up a 50yard TD pass on 4th and forever is just lazy.

Yeah that is why I am not going to engage in hypohetical scenarios because you can go in circles forever.  I judge based on what are the results.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of those 7 stops... were 2 of those kneel downs at the end of the half and game?  Was another when the Panthers were just running the ball into the line on their 2nd to last drive of the game, just to end it sooner?  If you're counting those... don't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but not less yards per play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yards per play is the least important stat of all of them in my opinion.  I don't care if a team took 30 plays to go 80 yards or 1 play.  Bottom line is, you gave up all 80 yards.  This perspective gets washed out in time of possession.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of those 7 stops... were 2 of those kneel downs at the end of the half and game?  Was another when the Panthers were just running the ball into the line on their 2nd to last drive of the game, just to end it sooner?  If you're counting those... don't.

thought i might have because i just looked at the drive chart, but no, i didnt.4 punts, 2 short FGs, and a fumble.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

thought i might have because i just looked at the drive chart, but no, i didnt.4 punts, 2 short FGs, and a fumble.

I wouldn't count the FG's either.  Points are points.  Fumble definitely counts. I missed that when I looked.  Just counted the 4 punts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yards per play is the least important stat of all of them in my opinion.  I don't care if a team took 30 plays to go 80 yards or 1 play.  Bottom line is, you gave up all 80 yards.  This perspective gets washed out in time of possession.

Yards per play is an important stat to look at in conjunction with other stats.  Yesterday's game is the first time the Bucs were giving up huge chunks of real estate in the passing game.  But most of them came at the tail end of both halfs (2nd quarter and 4th quarter) interestingly enough!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jags came in averaging 15 points a game. Lovie’s defense made Bortles look like a pro bowler. 31 points is not what a good defense gives up.This defense is garbage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yards per play is an important stat to look at in conjunction with other stats.  Yesterday's game is the first time the Bucs were giving up huge chunks of real estate in the passing game.  But most of them came at the tail end of both halfs (2nd quarter and 4th quarter) interestingly enough!

I don't see how.  If a team needs 80 yards and your defense gives it up... I don't how they gave it, they just did.  If I team a team went 250 yards in a half and saw that they had the ball for 7 minutes... I know it was big plays.  If they had it for 17 minutes, then I know it was methodical.  A specific yards per play number isn't that relevant if I don't know how many yards they needed, what the situation was, or the objective of the other team.  Opponent time of possession / total yards allowed / total points allowed / and opponent success rate are the important numbers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe the upgrades at RayJay will change that pesky scoreboard thing to a YAPG board !

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jags came in averaging 15 points a game. Lovie's defense made Bortles look like a pro bowler. 31 points is not what a good defense gives up.This defense is garbage.

Bortles is going to be a very good QB in this league.  I watched him live several times in college and the dude is legit.  He is one of the deadliest deep passers in the league stat wise (and that was before the Bucs game).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jags came in averaging 15 points a game. Lovie's defense made Bortles look like a pro bowler. 31 points is not what a good defense gives up.This defense is garbage.

Bortles is going to be a very good QB in this league.  I watched him live several times in college and the dude is legit.  He is one of the deadliest deep passers in the league stat wise (and that was before the Bucs game).

Second year QB coming off a season he threw only 11 TDs and the team averaged 15 points per game prior to facing this defense. None of your statements can defend how backup qbs, rookie qbs and mediocre qbs routinely light up Lovie's defense.This defense is hot garbage

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Second year QB coming off a season he threw only 11 TDs and the team averaged 15 points per game prior to facing this defense. None of your statements can defend how backup qbs, rookie qbs and mediocre qbs routinely light up Lovie's defense.This defense is hot garbage

This.I'd love to see a return to the Bucs D of old, but this just looks like an old D past it's time... or an old coach past his.Zone based defenses can still work in this league but I don't think Lovie is the guy to get us there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are parts of this defense working very well.  Unfortunately, it’s the back half that is inconsistent and is struggling.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL @ the OP and his mission to prop up the defense that has given up the most points in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bortles is legit but the jags do not have elite talent at the skill positions.  I will give Lovie this, we were blitzing much more effectively and often yesterday.  I have no problem giving up points if we are taking some risks.  I would love someone to break down the touchdowns and see what we’re doing defensively.  Overall, they weren’t great and need to clean up the penalties, but they did make big plays to offset some of the errors.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Touchdowns Allowed over the years with the league leaders shown to compare:

Code:
      TDs Bucs D Bucs D Best D Best DSeason Rush Pass Rush Pass2002 8 10 5 102003 6 16 6 112004 8 21 4 142005 10 15 4 102006 11 26 5 102007 11 18 6 152008 8 23 4 62009 16 28 5 82010 12 23 5 132011 26 30 3 112012 13 30 5 142013 10 30 4 152014 15 28 4 162015 12.8* 38.4* 3.2* 9.6*

Currently Bucs D is on a projection for the worst Pass Defense in well over a decade.  Worse than Morris' last year and worse than Schiano.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yards per play simply does not matter. Like it was said above, which defense is better, the one that gave up 8 yards per play on a 10 play 80 yard drive for a TD, or the defense that gave up a single 80 yard pass play for a TD?  Both resulted in a TD, but are just as bad, just in different ways.Yards per play, like many other stats, can be an indication of success or failure and specific strengths or weaknesses.  But it is certainly not the final judge of anything.  Saying the Bucs are the 8 best defense in the NFL based on this single stat may be statistical truth but a reality fail.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't count the FG's either.  Points are points.  Fumble definitely counts. I missed that when I looked.  Just counted the 4 punts.

haha, you gotta be kidding me.  if the offense or STs gives the ball to the opponent  at our 30 yard line, we shouldnt give up a FG?  cmon.  thats a stop by the defense in my book.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yards per play simply does not matter. Like it was said above, which defense is better, the one that gave up 8 yards per play on a 10 play 80 yard drive for a TD, or the defense that gave up a single 80 yard pass play for a TD?  Both resulted in a TD, but are just as bad, just in different ways.

i disagree.  if its a 10 play drive there is a probability that there are many bad plays by the defense, and many guys making consistent mistakes or just getting outplayed.  if its one play?  could have only been 1 minor error or miscommunication.both are bad for the bottom line, but they could be very very different.take for example the 70 yard TD by ed dickson of the panthers.  i dont think the statline shows the real story.  but its still a TD panthers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know but I would guess that most of the QBs we’ve played against have had career-type days, perhaps with the exception of Bree’s. At least, that is what it feels like. Our pass defense is PATHETIC

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

haha, you gotta be kidding me.  if the offense or STs gives the ball to the opponent  at our 30 yard line, we shouldnt give up a FG?  cmon.  thats a stop by the defense in my book.

If that's what happened, sure.  I'll give back 1... that other FG though, where the Panthers got the ball on their own 25, I'm not giving that one back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The sad truth…The Bucs defense gives up a first down every 2.92 plays (29th) and an offensive TD every 19.88 plays (29th).  League averages... 3.15 plays and 26.99 plays...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When you factor in the holes our defense has been put in (grossly lopsided TOP in some games, unwinnable field position in others) I think our defense is middle of the road.  I think we all judge our defense fairly harshly because we are Bucs fans and expect good defense.What we have to accept is that this team is built to be a team lead by the offense.  The majority of our resources has gone to that side of the ball.  Other than extending David and McCoy and the 4th we spent on Kwon we haven't devoted anything of note to the defense since Lovie got here.  The defensive side of the ball is held together with bailing wire and duct tape.I would love to have a world beater defense as much as anybody, but we just haven't built one.  I do think they would be 'good enough' if our offense was a little more reliable.  To have a middle of the road defense with how little resources we have devoted is  respectable.

Please wait…

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.