Viewing 17 reply threads

• Author

• Boid Fink

Participant

They need to jam, keep safeties closer but with proper pursuit (immediate impact) angles, because Brees isn’t going to throw deep. Bucs just need to attack the line of scrim, have the defenders in better pursuit angles but closer to limit YAC which is what the Saints rely on (direct limitation because Brees has a bullshit arm and a Griese brain), and maybe send the occasional 5 man blitz to increase pressure as a result of potential good coverage. Corners have to jam and take the inside routes, while the safeties have to shade that concept but remember the screens.

Saints will throw screen and pull a platoon to either side. Bucs have to diagnose the guards slamming to the left or right, and hit those screen gaps with quickness and end their silly, basic concept offense.

The time is now. If I can figure it out, Bowles better.

Brees has a shitty arm. He cannot be enraged to suddenly have a deep ball arm. Safeties up. Flared wide. Corners up, cover inside hard. Let the linebackers speed and eyes cover the tight ends.

Bucs can win. Tough assignment but they can win

Please wait…

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

They realized, too late, that they should’ve all out blitzed last week against Washington. Instead, they made a little math geek look good.

Please wait…

• seekpar

Participant

Agree, need to be aggressive on defense, not passive.

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

Is a Griese brain a compliment or a diss because he’s the dumbest QB we’ve had since I’ve been watching.

Please wait…

• BucsBay

Participant

Saints O-line is too good. They’re going to have to mix it up. Unfortunately we’ll probably blow some coverages to go with that, but if we can hit Brees, that’s our best chance. Kill the head. That’s what the Saints’ll be trying to do too.

Please wait…

• buc-in-out

Participant

Good post OP!

I am not expecting Barrett or JPP to put much pressure on Brees. Armstead and Ramcyzk are incredible pass blockers.

I want to see EDGE stunts and overload blitzes, I want to see Devin greendog A LOT, I want to see some corner/safety blitzes.

We need to play press man and jam Michael Thomas. Why did we draft these big fast corners if we’re gonna play soft zone all the time? Take away the quick slants, get pressure in Brees’ face and force him to beat us deep.

All Brees wants to do is stay is get into 2nd and medium, he’ll take the 3-5 yard completion on first down cuz it opens up the playbook, allowing Hill to come in, allowing reverses and screens to Kamara, draw plays.. play aggressive on 1st down!

Please wait…

• Boid Fink

Participant

Insult. All he is doing is dumping off short passes and letting his guys generate YAC. His arm is shot. [postquote quote=1347681]

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

[postquote quote=1347681]

Griese was certainly no Chris Simms, Luke McCown, or Josh Freeman mentally, that’s for sure.

Please wait…

• Boid Fink

Participant

Lol[postquote quote=1347722]

Please wait…

• bucshot420

Participant

All I know is this is the deepest Tampa has been in the playoffs since 02, it’s do or die time. Send Brees to the retirement home fresh off a loss to our beloved “pewter pirates”. Blitz, stunt, jam, and have a defensive meeting at the QB after the snap! I’m gunning for the S.B., but sending Brees, and the lemon sucker (Payton) home losers is good solace if we don’t make it all the way to the big dance. Leave it all on the field.

Please wait…

• buc_boi

Participant

[postquote quote=1347734]

I’ll smoke to that.

Please wait…

• Bucman

Participant

Bucs cant afford to blitz more than 4 or 5 against Brees. The Saints offense will eat you up if you do that.

Please wait…

• seekpar

Participant

The Bucs should put 5-6-7 on the line and send 5 on most plays, let Brees worry about where that 5th is coming from. Rushing 4 won’t work, not enough to pressure Brees. Mix it up. Confuse him. Get in his face. Press the WRs at the line, don’t let them run those short routes without some initial contact.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

[postquote quote=1347682]

And Brees gets rid of the ball too fast. Drew Brees is third lowest in the NFL in percentage of pass pressures at 14% behind only . He’s been sacked 13 times in 16 games. He had 15 hurries, again less than one per game.

Wouldn’t it be foolish to think that we can get to Brees when he went through the whole season with 13 sacks and 15 hurries? If we are going to slow down the Saints, its probably not going to be by getting sacks and pressures.

Please wait…

• creamsicles

Participant

Brees is an intelligent and effective QB who knows how to take what the defense gives him. If you annualize his stats this year (missed 4.5 games), he’d have roughly 4,000 yards, 32 TDs, 8 Ints, and a 71% completion percentage.

Sure, he benefits from a great OL and strong running game, but most NFL QBs would not be as effective as him within the Saints offense. He’s not as good as he was, but he’s still above average.

Like all QBs, he’d struggle with pressure (especially in his face), so I hope we bring a lot of heat up the middle.

Please wait…

• kenntak

Participant

Without the DBs getting their hands on the Saints’ receivers, there is not use blitzing Brees. The Bucs play better than they play aggressively, sitting back against Brees does not work.

Please wait…

• Buc on the Move

Participant

[quote quote=1347770]He’s been sacked 13 times in 16 games. He had 15 hurries, again less than one per game.[/quote]

Brees didn’t even play 16 games, so he would have had more sacks. At least one per game.

While Brees can definitely beat the blitz and has the smarts to find the holes behind it, he has proven time and again, like all the great ones, if given a clean pocket, he will beat you.

I don’t think we can blitz every play, but we have to bring pressure with 5 sometimes or even 6 on occaision. Especially getting D. White coming and occasionally LVD. with a few shots from SMB. Winfield.

Please wait…

• TBChucky

Participant

I like this idea. Combine that with aggressive man coverage. Keep Kamara in front of you, and smack the shit out of him every time he touches the ball. [postquote quote=1347769]

Please wait…

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.