Keymaster

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

He has some talent

Please wait…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Won’t be there for the bucs 2nd round unfortunately, and obviously 7 is too early for him.

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

With us not getting any FA RB, makes me think we’re looking to trade back and target a top shelf RB like Guice in more of the middle of the first as well as accumulate picks…

Could get Guice in first
      CB like Jaire Alexander and DE like Josh Sweat in 2nd with extra picks.

Should still be sold DT and G depth in 3rd… Maybe even a few of the hybrid edge guys too like Marquise Haynes…

Plus we’ll need a 2nd rookie RB as well if no FA RB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This makes no sense. Can’t get him with our first or second. Don’t wanna trade back for him. Don’t wanna trade up for him in the 2nd…

I’d rather target someone like Royce Freeman in the 3rd or another rb in the 4th. Better bang for your buck. We cannot continue to build outside in.

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

I’ve seen where some scouts and GM’s actually like Guice over Barkley as their top pure RB in this draft.

I think I saw where John Lynch said that somewhere…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then those scouts are idiots. Guice is hyped beyond belief…

Please wait…

• Ja’crispy

Participant

Other then Barkley, I like Derrius Guice the best out of all the running backs. He said that hes gunna punish every teams defense that doesnt draft him. Love that kinda attitude. All we would have to do is trade back for more picks, then we could use that to move up into the first to get him.

Please wait…

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Guice is a stud, should have a good career.

Please wait…

• BucsWin31

Participant

Schianoismyhero
      Mar 14, 18 at 11:21 am #1067887
      This makes no sense. Can’t get him with our first or second. Don’t wanna trade back for him. Don’t wanna trade up for him in the 2nd…

I’d rather target someone like Royce Freeman in the 3rd or another rb in the 4th. Better bang for your buck. We cannot continue to build outside in.

The draft happened already????

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

The knock on Barkley has been that he’s shown tentativeness in hitting holes that weren’t perfectly clean, where he was going to have to pound through contact in the hole and he’s stopped his feet and looked for ways to bounce it outside and many times had negative runs.

I think all of Barkleys other traits will make up for much of that tentativeness that he’s shown, but Guice has shown to be very willing and decisive to pound it up into the hole and break through it with power.

That’s the analysis that I’ve seen (with film clips) that showed why some may put Guice over Barkley.

I understand what they’re saying, but I just think they’re underrating Barkleys freakish athletic ability that turns negative plays into 80 yard runs at times.

Please wait…

• Detrimental

Participant

Barkley is a better back but Guice is the second best RB in the class.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

The kind of immediate impact position and player who an on the hot seat head coach and GM would select.

We’d be upset if he’s selected #7, but we’d love him as soon as the pads come on.

Please wait…

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

Guice is a more complete back than Barkley IMO. Barkley gets the hype because of the unreal athleticism he displays for his size, but Guice runs with good vision, speed, and power (Barkley does not run with power), and is a good receiver out of the backfield. I think taking him at 7 would be a bit much, but if we’re able to trade down in the 1st with a team like Arizona or Buffalo, he’d be a good choice imo. Especially since we’re obviously not signing anyone in FA.

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

“Barkley does not run with power…” “Guice runs with…power…”

That is probably a true statement. But then you have to see that Guice has been injured while Barkley has not. It’s kind of a moot point. You can be a run to collisions type of back that Guice is sometimes and get hurt, or a run away from contact guy like Barkley and live to fight another day.

Just a mentality really. Barkley can be a more powerful runner and once he actually ‘makes it’ to the NFL he may play more along those lines.

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

Good point Cerious… That’s kind of thing we won’t know until those guys are in the pros…

If we do take Guice high, I would love to take someone like Akrum Wadley or Nyheim Hines in the 4th or 5th to pair with Barber, and you have quite a stable of backs…

Please wait…

• BucsWin31

Participant

Guice is legit….would love to have him.

Please wait…

• nybuccguy

Participant

Guice is a nice player but it’s a novelty position. We shouldn’t draft a back until round 3 or later. We are weak in the trenches and that where football games are won.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

^^ exactly.

Guice is not a first round talent… imo most RBs aren’t. The hype that has moved him into the 1st is crazy to me.

I’d like him with our 2nd round pick but he won’t fall that far so it’s a moot point.

Please wait…

• 4halfabuc

Participant

Certainly the Bucs would take Bradley Chubb or Nelson at #7. However both are not likely to be there.
      With the RB’s going fast, the Bucs may pass on a RB in FA and trade down with the 49ers, Raiders, Dolphins or Bills and take Derrius Guise at #9, #10, #11 or # 12. I think both the 49ers and Raiders would want Roquan Smith (reminds the of Derrick Brooks) and the Dolphins and Bills want a QB (Mayfield), plus the Bucs would add a pick in the #70’s.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In that scenario I would be fucking pissed…

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

Team brass is targeting a top RB in this draft. I promise you that.

They were all in on Cook last year until OJ fell.

They know they must grab one This year and they will since their jobs are on the line. They won’t wait around to see who falls.

I don’t mind that considering the lack of high quality DL at the top of the draft and the seeming depth of 2nd to 3rd round DL, OL, and DB.

Please wait…

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

OJ Howard was a top 10 lock
      Aaron Rodgers was a top 5 lock
      Brady Quinn was a top 5 lock
      Warren Sapp was a top 10 lock
      Daquan Bowers was a top 5 lock

I could go on and on. If the bucs didn’t look at this kid because they don’t think hell make it to R2, they would be doing the team a disservice. If they look and he in fact doesn’t make it, no loss.

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

Guys, look at the roster.

They’re targeting a RB in the top 2 rounds.

I think there’s a better chance Brad Chubb drops to 7 than Guice makes it to 38 though… We shall see.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is better value in rounds 3-4 For rb

Please wait…

• casren

Participant

I really hope we spend our top 3 draft picks on defense. This is assuming that somehow we sign some o-line help in FA.

Please wait…

• red816

Participant

Would it be crazy to prefer Chubb over Guice?

Please wait…

• ErnieBuc

Participant

Guice probably doesn’t get past the Lions at 20. They haven’t had a running game since Barry Sanders

Please wait…

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

So we already have O.J.

Now we might get “The Guice”?

Please wait…

• bodydenny

Participant

Notre Dame fan here. I watched a healthy dose of Guice in the bowl game LSU vs. ND. His style reminded me a lot of former Buc Erict Rhett. Seems like a complete back ,but Rhett was a second rounder.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

Beast

Please wait…

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

Derrius Guice, LSU

(Games charted – Alabama, Arkansas, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Missouri, Florida)

Average number of defenders in the box – 7.25

Average number of blockers in the box – 7.10

Of the five running backs charted, LSU’s Derrius Guice saw, on average, the most defenders in the box as well as the most blockers in the box. Defenses loaded up to stop Guice, as he was the team’s best weapon and needed to be accounted for on every snap. However, LSU also played a part in creating stacked boxes for Guice, as he rarely ran out of 10 and 11 personnel. Guice played in what we would call a traditional “NFL-offense,” as LSU used a ton of 12 and 21 personnel to run the ball.

While running out of more traditional boxes may have hurt Guice’s college statistics, it prepared him more for what he is going to see in the NFL. Guice saw eight defenders in the box on nearly 24 percent of his carries, averaging more than 6.75 yards per carry. He saw eight or more defenders in the box on a staggering 31.8 percent of his total rushes, by far the most of the top backs in this class.

The most impressive stats for Guice come when you compare the number of defenders in the box versus the number of blockers in the box. When Guice saw an even box (same number of blockers as defenders) in 2017, he averaged an incredible 8.4 yards per rush on 75 carries. Assuming Guice can find himself on a team that runs a ton of inside zone out of 12 or 21 personnel, he should thrive in the NFL against six- and seven-man boxes.

Guice isn’t the receiver that Saquon Barkley is, nor is he the pass protector, but as a pure runner, you can make the case that his skill set is better suited for the NFL game. He is more likely to be a consistent runner at the next level, as he rarely loses yardage despite the extra defenders in the box.

Please wait…

• Tjax03

Participant

Guice is 5’10 so who is his NFL comparable given his running style?

Please wait…

• Pepsi

Participant

Tjax03
      Mar 23, 18 at 10:15 am #1071476
      Guice is 5’10 so who is his NFL comparable given his running style?

I no longer try to do exact comparisons because its very hard and causes really pointless arguments. But I think what he gives a team is an element similar to what Marshawn Lynch gave his teams. Basically a aggressive but decently spry RB who’s gonna fight 100% for his yards and will also make you pay big time if there is a hole. the bonus that I dont see mentioned very often about him is he is a very smooth receiver as well.

very simple pro and cons list:

Pros:
      – not shy at all with crashing into people
      – great for punching it on goaline and 3rd and short.
      – 220+ lbs (very good size)
      – just under 4.5 speed (so hes not slow at all)
      – good receiving back
      – currently only 20 years old

Cons:
      – shelf life concerns – can he crash into people for a long healthy career?
      – not super elusive – most of his long runs come from pure aggressive will power or good blocking, not so much because hes making people miss from his elusiveness
      – not a complete home run hitter – hardly a negative at his 4.49 speed but he can get caught from behind whereas Barkley and Jones probably wont.

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

Guice is day 2 talent.

His name and 1st round should not appear in the same sentence

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

ErnieBuc
      Mar 15, 18 at 8:53 pm #1068830
      Guice probably doesn’t get past the Lions at 20. They haven’t had a running game since Barry Sanders
      ——
      There are 4 or 5 backs that’ll go before this guy

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Havok904
      Mar 23, 18 at 11:52 am #1071500
      ErnieBuc
      ——

I will gladly take that bet.

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

DonkeyHunter
      Mar 23, 18 at 11:59 am #1071502

Havok904
      Mar 23, 18 at 11:52 am #1071500
      ErnieBuc
      ——

I will gladly take that bet.

I’d like to get in on that action.

That’s laughable.

Please wait…

• Pepsi

Participant

that would mean Barkley, Chubb, Michel, and Jones… its possible. I think Guice is going #2 but those are all guys that certain teams could view as the number 2 back.

Normally this would be the case for why you wouldnt touch RB in round 1. but concern i have is all 4-5 of them going before the Bucs second round pick. I dont really want to miss out on those guys and settle with Penny or Johnson.

Please wait…

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

@Tjax03 the comparison that NFL.com made in his draft profile was to Marshawn Lynch. I wonder what Guice’s thoughts on press conferences are?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/derrius-guice?id=2560101

Please wait…

• Pepsi

Participant

Hank Scorpio
      Mar 23, 18 at 12:43 pm #1071525

@tjax03
      the comparison that NFL.com made in his draft profile was to Marshawn Lynch. I wonder what Guice’s thoughts on press conferences are?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/derrius-guice?id=2560101

Weird.. that link has his weight wrong. he weighed in at 224lbs at the combine, not 212 lbs

Please wait…

• JBSouthpaw

Participant

These are the top 5 running backs, order could be different but I’d be happy with any of these in the 2nd round. I don’t see all 5 going in the 1st rd.

1. *Saquon Barkley, Penn State
      2. *Derrius Guice, LSU
      3. *Ronald Jones II, USC
      4. Nick Chubb, Georgia
      5. Sony Michel, Georgia

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If a RB isn’t a home run hitter in terms of speed, then he isn’t a first round talent.

Why is everyone so enamored with Guice? His style and speed leads me to believe he’ll lose production too early.

He’s a fine 2nd round prospect. Nothing more…

Please wait…

• Condor Bastadon

Participant

He reminds me too much of Cadillac. Good speed, but has an overly aggressive running style for his frame. He’s gonna always be dinged up unless he’s superhuman like Marshawn Lynch.

Please wait…

• VTBucs

Participant

Would rather have Penny. He averaged 3.32 yards per carry when contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage. Ranked #1 amongst RB’s.

Please wait…

• SoDakBuc

Participant

Can we dangle DeSean Jackson and a pick to get back into the first? With the emergence of Godwin, do we really need him?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again just wait on RB till round 3 or 4 unless Guice falls to 38. I’m fine with that.

We’ve repeatedly struck out on RBs since Dunn, so unless its Barkely (even then who knows if he is sure-fire) I’d rather wait and address more pressing needs.

Please wait…

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Is he in the Stephen Jackson man among boys category? If yes then yes he is a first rounder. If not then he may be worth a second/third round grade.

Please wait…

• Pepsi

Participant

Unless everyone is cool with Barber being the man, we’re getting a RB early. we’re low on options. The FA RBs are gone and we lack the 3rd round pick now. Waiting till 4th could mean missing out on another run on RBs.

Please wait…

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.