Viewing 52 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs' Mike Williams faces lawsuit over fire Greg Auman, Times Staff Writer? ? Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:18pm fire_zpsaf92cade.jpgTAMPA — A kitchen fire in the home he rented last summer continues to cause problems for Bucs receiver Mike Williams, who faces a lawsuit from the insurance company that paid for repairs. The lawsuit, filed last week in Tampa by United Property & Casualty Insurance Co., seeks $54,453, its cost to repair the damage, "plus interest, court costs and other costs." Williams, 26, previously agreed to pay $43,000 in damages — not specifically limited to those from the fire — to the home­owner, Warren Gold of Lutz, in November. The lawsuit alleges that on June 14, Williams "negligently caused a fire while using the stove-top range" at the home in The Sanctuary on Livingston, a gated community in Lutz. The fire brought emergency personnel to the home and caused "heat, smoke and fire damage," the suit alleges. Williams has hired an attorney, Jennifer Flannery, from his hometown of Buffalo, N.Y. She said Monday that she had not seen the lawsuit and would not comment until she had. Williams might not have been home when the fire took place, though that might not change his liability. The lawsuit accuses Williams of "negligently and carelessly leaving a pan on the stove" and "failing to monitor" it. Gold could not be reached for comment, and an attorney at Groelle and Salmon in Tampa, which filed the lawsuit, declined to comment Tuesday. Williams is working to resolve his off-field problems. He is in position to do so with unrelated misdemeanor charges of trespass and criminal mischief, accused of knocking a girlfriend's door off its hinges in December. Last week, he was approved to enter a pretrial intervention program. The charges will be dropped if he completes the program, which likely would involve a short probationary period. Greg Auman can be reached at auman@tampabay.com

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This isnt the worst thing in the world, but it just adds to my suspicion that this guy is a complete moron. You cant fix stupid

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can’t say I haven’t ever left a burner on.But damn man, he's getting bad press everywhere he goes. MW should probably look out for things like..doors, women, knives, cars, alcohol, wrestling, and his brother.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why Mike? Why?The team paid you and the fans were counting on you...why u go full retard on us  :(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pay da Man so he can Pay da Insurance Man!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

um, this is old.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It wasn’t Mike’s fault….it was his brother!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I Thiught it was Talib’s mom’s fault. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What significance does this have at all with his conduct or his playing ability?  This is a football player not someone seeking your trust.  SMH!!! get off the mans back.  Someone wanted to hitch a ride on the MW’s train.  These athletes are paid to play football not be role models. The fact some make them role models is their choice but a foolish one!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Greg Auman is on a one an crusade

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

These athletes are paid to play football not be role models.

And after he got his extension he showed up to camp out of shape.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do you recall him playing out of shape? I don’t.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this happened to you or me, it would be covered by renter’s insurance. Why is this a lawsuit? Because he is in the NFL and has money?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone tell me cause I am lost. How could an insurance company sue someone when its their job to cover damages for their customers?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly. I wouldn’t agree to pay sh!t is I was Mike.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Probably if they can show gross negligence, bucfannc

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stove top fires have to be the most common type of home fire. Far too common to be considered gross negligence imo. Sounds like a money grab because the tenant is rich.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds like a money grab because the tenant is rich.

This.....or Scott moonlighting in the insurance field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They wouldn’t be wasting their time if they didn’t have a leg to stand on. You don’t know the circumstances. Maybe when the insurance adjuster came to take pictures the place was a wreck inside and there was flammable trash all over the countertop. Who knows.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Get out of the news and stay out.  Start paying people off and get your head on straight.  Dude is the news way too much.  Bad press.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Mike Williams was renting he was not insured and it is likely that the insurance company would come after him.  He was a tenant and his neglegence caused damage and of course he is loaded, so why not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MW is the victim here!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Probably if they can show gross negligence, bucfannc

Thats why people "have" to pay insurance. Pay for the risk of other people and their "own" negligence. I'm just not following this concept.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MW is the victim here!

Lol ! ... always.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MW was seen earlier today making a right hand turn and not using his blinker……Our own crusading Scott Reynolds uncovers all the shocking details in this hard hitting 1500 word expose!"Mike Williams, Not a Man of impeccable Faith"Will be published at noon with revisions coming at 12:07, 12:17 and 12:51

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One of my tenants was drunk and broke an upstairs toilet on the second floor and then passed out. Snapped the tank right off the back and then went to sleep. It was like a waterfall in the kitchen downstair and half the 2600sqft house was flooded. It was just over $60K for repairs. I paid my deductible and renters insurance took care of it. They didn’t try to sue my tenant. They just paid for the repairs because that is their job. That is why I pay them $$$ every month. So like BucFanNC12…..I’m not following this at all. Makes zero sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The issue isn’t new news. I’m just curious as to why insurance wouldn’t have picked it up. The article also mentioned that Williams had agreed to pay for the damage originally and then didn’t pay. Whether that’s true or not likely is part of the lawsuit or the defense but, typically, we seem to be missing a good portion of the story.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Poor Mikey . He’s a victim . The insurance company be picking on him cause he rich.Funny there are currently no other players in the entire NFL being sued by an insurance company. They're rich too.....but poor Mikey and his Cave Man Gang....they be victims.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Poor Mikey . He's a victim . The insurance company be picking on him cause he rich.Funny there are currently no other players in the entire NFL being sued by an insurance company. They're rich too.....but poor Mikey and his Cave Man Gang....they be victims.

I was thinking something similar. Why would this insurance company be after MWill for this situation and not be after any other customers for something similar?Something is rotten in Denmark.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think MW is necessarily a victim but I’d be stunned to find out he’s the only NFL player facing a lawsuit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this happened to you or me, it would be covered by renter's insurance. Why is this a lawsuit? Because he is in the NFL and has money?

Yep!  He was a victim who was cut by his own Brother and the fan reaction was we need to cut him.  Now he suffers a fire in his house I suspect the fan outcry will be fire him.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From an insurance company I said …and , yes he is the only one being sued by one of those. What he isn’t is the only NFL player involved in an insurance claim.If this is a cash grab why aren't they suing other rich players involved in claims ? Probably because Mr. Victim is no victim at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First of all.. JDub, if you owned the house then you dont have “renters” insurance. Your tenant is reponsible to carry that. “renters” insurance only covers damage to the tenants property and liabiity (not property damage liablity). Your policy would be a dwelling/fire policy that covers the structure and any contents YOU own in the strucure up to your requested limit. In the case of MW, the owners policy certainly would cover the property damage but I could see them attempting to subrogate the loss by suing MW if it was clear negligence on his part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First of all.. JDub, if you owned the house then you dont have "renters" insurance. Your tenant is reponsible to carry that. "renters" insurance only covers damage to the tenants property and liabiity (not property damage liablity). Your policy would be a dwelling/fire policy that covers the structure and any contents YOU own in the strucure up to your requested limit. In the case of MW, the owners policy certainly would cover the property damage but I could see them attempting to subrogate the loss by suing MW if it was clear negligence on his part.

Great post ....and Jdud caught in yet another lie. He claims to own a property and think he pays renter's insurance. Bwahahaha!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From an insurance company I said ...and , yes he is the only one being sued by one of those. What he isn't is the only NFL player involved in an insurance claim.If this is a cash grab why aren't they suing other rich players involved in claims ? Probably because Mr. Victim is no victim at all.

Pathetic message board loser chewing his own cud about an insignificant event in some dude's life. You and Jesus-Boy Reynolds need to get a room.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First of all.. JDub, if you owned the house then you dont have "renters" insurance. Your tenant is reponsible to carry that. "renters" insurance only covers damage to the tenants property and liabiity (not property damage liablity). Your policy would be a dwelling/fire policy that covers the structure and any contents YOU own in the strucure up to your requested limit. In the case of MW, the owners policy certainly would cover the property damage but I could see them attempting to subrogate the loss by suing MW if it was clear negligence on his part.

I have a basic insurance policy required my the mortgage company. It's standard for a property you rent out. Maybe the correct name is not "renters insurance" but that wasn't the point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BwahahaBwahahaha…dimwit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do yall think the new coaching staff already knows half the stuff that is coming out in the news. Most of it seem to have happened under the old coaching staff, but we are just now catching wind of it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The issue isn't new news. I'm just curious as to why insurance wouldn't have picked it up. The article also mentioned that Williams had agreed to pay for the damage originally and then didn't pay. Whether that's true or not likely is part of the lawsuit or the defense but, typically, we seem to be missing a good portion of the story.

Ya, there seems to be gaps in the story.  My guess would be, Mike and his attorney agreed to pay the damages. Then the insurance company tacked on all the legal cost. And they said, no no no.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this happened to you or me, it would be covered by renter's insurance. Why is this a lawsuit? Because he is in the NFL and has money?

huh? the fire caused damage to the home (not just the renter's contents).  The property owner's insurer insures the home and so that insurer paid for the damage to the home and then brought a subrogation claim against Williams, suing hi for his negligence in starting the fire.  Williams might have liability coverage (most responsible professional athletes would have plenty) and if so that insurer is defending him.common suit actually

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The issue isn't new news. I'm just curious as to why insurance wouldn't have picked it up. The article also mentioned that Williams had agreed to pay for the damage originally and then didn't pay. Whether that's true or not likely is part of the lawsuit or the defense but, typically, we seem to be missing a good portion of the story.

Ya, there seems to be gaps in the story.  My guess would be, Mike and his attorney agreed to pay the damages. Then the insurance company tacked on all the legal cost. And they said, no no no.

Williams agreed to pay the homeowner for damage not specifically related to the fire (e.g. damage fro partying etc.). The suit is a subrogation suit brought by the property insurers who paid for the fire damage to the homeTwo separate things

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have a basic insurance policy required my the mortgage company. It's standard for a property you rent out. Maybe the correct name is not "renters insurance" but that wasn't the point.

Understood. The intent of my post was not the same as was taken by Mr. Dolores but mainly to explain why the Insurance company would attempt to recoup losses they paid due to MW possible negligence. I also can assume that if MW was your typical income American, they wouldn't be attempting to get blood from that stone. I pretty much agree with your premise that is he wasn't a deep pocket......they wouldn't be wasting legal fees on a lost cause.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Understood. The intent of my post was not the same as was taken by Mr. Dolores but mainly to explain why the Insurance company would attempt to recoup losses they paid due to MW possible negligence. I also can assume that if MW was your typical income American, they wouldn't be attempting to get blood from that stone. I pretty much agree with your premise that is he wasn't a deep pocket......they wouldn't be wasting legal fees on a lost cause.

true but renters coverage (often required by the lease) usually provides includes liability coverage, so its not really the tenant's pockets anyway

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smh.Talib at least did sh!t deliberate. When he smacks a cabbie.. ok, some of us can understand. When he smacks cox in the head with a helmet, we can say, "heat of the moment." There was also a sense of ownership to those things.But with mw, it's really stupid situations that can hardly be understandable. Not saying violence is better, but it's the difference between a "badass," and a "dumbass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

None of the dumb things he has done to get in trouble are that big of a deal, its just that there are so many.  Somebody really needs to smack him with a rolled up newspaper.  The recklessness that allows a bunch of small things to happen will eventually lead to something big, and unless Williams gets his head on right his luck will run out at some point- be that in his football career or worse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

huh? the fire caused damage to the home (not just the renter's contents).  The property owner's insurer insures the home and so that insurer paid for the damage to the home and then brought a subrogation claim against Williams, suing hi for his negligence in starting the fire.  Williams might have liability coverage (most responsible professional athletes would have plenty) and if so that insurer is defending him.common suit actually

But...but...Jdud claims he pays his renter's renters insurance for them .....Wish we all could have a landlord this dumb , lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It wasn't Mike's fault....it was his brother!

Whose name is on the lease?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But...but...Jdud claims he pays his renter's renters insurance for them .....Wish we all could have a landlord this dumb , lol.

I never said I paid my tenants renters insurance dumbass, Learn how to read.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure ya didn't , dweeb.

One of my tenants was drunk and broke an upstairs toilet on the second floor and then passed out. . I paid my deductible and renters insurance took care of it. They didn't try to sue my tenant. They just paid for the repairs because that is their job.

Learn how to read , dumbass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure ya didn't , dweeb.

One of my tenants was drunk and broke an upstairs toilet on the second floor and then passed out. . I paid my deductible and renters insurance took care of it. They didn't try to sue my tenant. They just paid for the repairs because that is their job.

not to get in the middle, but I think you mistyped JDub.  If you are the property owner/landlord, you do not have renter's insurance, you have property coverage.  In terms of subrogation (i.e., your insurer going after the tenant), I am going to guess there's a pretty big difference between a broken toilet in one of your rental properties and a FIRE in an Avila mansion.  Insurers don't automatically go after the blameworthy party, its a cost/benefit thing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He didn’t mistype , he’s just too dumb to know what he’s paying for. His wife probably pays the bills and handles the day-to-day while he sits on YouTube watching videos of Keith Wenning all day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure ya didn't , dweeb.

not to get in the middle, but I think you mistyped JDub.  If you are the property owner/landlord, you do not have renter's insurance, you have property coverage.  In terms of subrogation (i.e., your insurer going after the tenant), I am going to guess there's a pretty big difference between a broken toilet in one of your rental properties and a FIRE in an Avila mansion.  Insurers don't automatically go after the blameworthy party, its a cost/benefit thing.

I pay property coverage required by the mortgage company when renter out your property and mistakenly called it renters insurance. Bschucher already corrected me and it was all figured out. Doloris Stan is just trolling and you are adding to his game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Williams has hired an attorney, Jennifer Flannery, from his hometown of Buffalo, N.YYou know, that kinda struck me as odd a couple days ago.  Now we know why.

Please wait…

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.