Viewing 55 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Mayock: Bucs’ old-fashioned recipe may be cutting edgea8ea3cd7-8242-4d2e-989a-d56115c55f90_zps7eb1b777.pngNFL Network analyst Mike Mayock notes that the Seahawks and 49ers recipe for success is similar to what the Bucs plan to employ under Lovie Smith. NFL NETWORK By Roy Cummings | Tribune Staff Published:  May 2, 2014 at 08:35 PM TAMPA — Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith has made no attempt to disguise his desired plan for winning football games. Much like his mentor, Tony Dungy, Smith believes a dominating defense and strong running attack are the keys to success.Now, that may seem a bit old-fashioned, especially in a league that has become as pass happy as the NFL. It may even seem a bit boring to some. But could it be that Smith is actually on the cusp of a new wave?NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock believes so, and the proof, Mayock said during a conference call this week, lies in the winning formula’s used by two of the most recent Super Bowl participants.“Football is a cyclical game, and I think it’s intriguing that the two best teams in the league last year, in my opinion, Seattle and San Francisco, what was their recipe for success? They played great defense, they ran the football and they asked their quarterbacks to make a less percentage of plays than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady,’’ Mayock said. “So the two best teams in the league utilized the tailback and the run game. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that come back in vogue.’’It will certainly be in vogue with the Bucs. Smith said almost immediately upon his return to Tampa that he wants the Bucs to get back to the style of football that made them one of the NFL’s best teams in the late 1990s and early 2000s.“When I was here before, there was a certain brand of football that you expected from us,’’ said Smith, an assistant under Dungy with the Bucs from 1996 to 2000. “You knew it would be relentless, because we played hard and you got that each week from us and we’re going to get back to that.’’ rcummings@tampatrib.com(813) 259-7979Twitter: @RcummingsTBO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is that old sayin?If you wait long enough, what is old, is new again?I don't think the value of RB's will be on the upswing anytime soon. Its just more efficient to have a great passing game with a little run game mixed in.  IDK that we will ever see the days of Barry Sanders, Tony Dorsett, and other great RB's ruling the day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The 49ers and Seahawks are very similar. Great defense, special teams, and run game backed up by a mobile QB that can manage the game wisely and make things happen on his own a couple times per game. Panthers follow that blueprint too, just not as successfully. If the Rams dump Bradford and take Manziel, they will also be following that same blueprint. I think we are headed in the right direction. We'll have the defense, special teams, and run game. We just lack the mobile QB that can make things happen with his legs when needed. McCown isn't that guy, just a band aid. Like the Rams, Manziel would complete the blueprint for us. If we aren't getting Manziel, then maybe we should concentrate on trading back in the 1st round this year and take a 2015 1st as compensation. Having two 1st round picks next year would be awfully smart. Could result in us getting Mariota. A less sexy option would be to trade Glennon and use the pick gained to aquire Tyrod Taylor. Everything I have read about him talks about how far he has come as a QB in his three years with the Ravens. Bringing him here to let Tedford finish molding him could work. I think he can be that game manager type that makes 2 or 3 exceptional plays every game. Until we find that dual threat game manager though, we won't be like the Seahawks or 49ers. That is the piece that sets them apart.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The 49ers and Seahawks are very similar. Great defense, special teams, and run game backed up by a mobile QB that can manage the game wisely and make things happen on his own a couple times per game. Panthers follow that blueprint too, just not as successfully. If the Rams dump Bradford and take Manziel, they will also be following that same blueprint. I think we are headed in the right direction. We'll have the defense, special teams, and run game. We just lack the mobile QB that can make things happen with his legs when needed. McCown isn't that guy, just a band aid. Like the Rams, Manziel would complete the blueprint for us. If we aren't getting Manziel, then maybe we should concentrate on trading back in the 1st round this year and take a 2015 1st as compensation. Having two 1st round picks next year would be awfully smart. Could result in us getting Mariota. A less sexy option would be to trade Glennon and use the pick gained to aquire Tyrod Taylor. Everything I have read about him talks about how far he has come as a QB in his three years with the Ravens. Bringing him here to let Tedford finish molding him could work. I think he can be that game manager type that makes 2 or 3 exceptional plays every game. Until we find that dual threat game manager though, we won't be like the Seahawks or 49ers. That is the piece that sets them apart.

Our run game is iffy though. We basically have a whole new O-line, so we will have to see how they all perform together as a unit.I think Tedford goes for a later round QB, someone the fans will say WTF?  But I think he wants a raw guy, he can mold to his vision of what he wants in a QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kinda says Carr isn’t a fit in Lovie’s system.  Throwing 51 times a game?  In this heat?  No legs after Thanksgiving dinner…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Tedford goes for a later round QB, someone the fans will say WTF?  But I think he wants a raw guy, he can mold to his vision of what he wants in a QB.

Murray??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To me the biggest similarity between the 49ers snd Seahawks was that they were able to find their QB outside of the first round. Because they were paying them peanuts they could spend their salary cap elsewhere and build dominant defenses. Obviously some strong drafting a free agent signings were involved, but I'm interested to see how they can continue that success when their QBs start to eat up a significant  portion of their respective caps and they can no longer  afford to keep the defensive line depth and overall talent on the rest of their roster that they've enjoyed during this run.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The real answer is that both QBs are good when they need to be. The run game is a way to waste time for both teams. It pains me that people like Mayock who should know better confuse the issue with running the ball — success leads to running, running does not lead to success.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate it when people can’t understand how important the run game is. It’s the chicken and egg argument. The pass doesn’t open up the run anymore than the run opens up the pass. You have to just execute at a high level  and do both well. Then the defense is kept guessing and they hesitate, which opens everything up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree JDub you have to at least be respectable w both to consistently execute. To me the key was both of these teams had the luxury of spending a ton of money and quality picks on the trenches because they found their QBs out of the first round and had them locked in on cheap contracts. Both of these teams consistently controlled the line of scrimmage which is the foundation of any successful football team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

…or you could just wing it…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To me the biggest similarity between the 49ers snd Seahawks was that they were able to find their QB outside of the first round. Because they were paying them peanuts they could spend their salary cap elsewhere and build dominant defenses. Obviously some strong drafting a free agent signings were involved, but I'm interested to see how they can continue that success when their QBs start to eat up a significant  portion of their respective caps and they can no longer  afford to keep the defensive line depth and overall talent on the rest of their roster that they've enjoyed during this run.

Carroll and Schneider are great at what they do. Even this past free agent period, they laid down the law to their prospective free agents. They were told, this is what we can pay you. If you like it fine, if not, have a nice day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You use the run game to keep the defense honest and create 2nd and short or 3rd and short because the pass game works a helluva lot better in 3rd and 4 than it does in 3rd and 10. When the Saints won the SuperBowl with their seemingly unstoppable pass game…..they had the #1 run game in the NFL. It goes hand in hand. One opens up the other. You might be better at one or the other, but you have to have both and find the right balance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even at that, this offense is going to be vastly different than what we had back then.We ran a designed run-run-pass-punt offense then. We're gonna have alot more short passing and screens than before ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree they have done a great job but it is also much easier to look like a genius when you have a solid QB who’s only counting $700k against the cap as opposed to $15-$20 mm.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carroll and Schneider are great at what they do. Even this past free agent period, they laid down the law to their prospective free agents. They were told, this is what we can pay you. If you like it fine, if not, have a nice day.

Very true. I give Carroll and Schneider zero props when it comes to QBs though. Carroll has said that Darrell Bevell is 100% responsible for drafting Wilson. Bevell became obsessed with Wilson and demanded it happen in the 3rd round. When you look at Carrols' QB selections you see guys like Whitehurst, Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson, and Josh Portis. Yuck!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree they have done a great job but it is also much easier to look like a genius when you have a solid QB who's only counting $700k against the cap as opposed to $15-$20 mm.

They will handle it. They will get Russell and Sherman resigned. And let some of the older players walk. Don't forget the cap goes up every year for the foreseeable future too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very true. I give Carroll and Schneider zero props when it comes to QBs though. Carroll has said that Darrell Bevell is 100% responsible for drafting Wilson. Bevell became obsessed with Wilson and demanded it happen in the 3rd round. When you look at Carrols' QB selections you see guys like Whitehurst, Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson, and Josh Portis. Yuck!

Fair point.  No one is perfect though. But the dude learns from his mistakes. He was a huge fail as HC of the Patriots. Now look where he is.But I will say the guy just won the Super Bowl, and his players will run through a brick wall for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate it when people can't understand how important the run game is. It's the chicken and egg argument. The pass doesn't open up the run anymore than the run opens up the pass. You have to just execute at a high level  and do both well. Then the defense is kept guessing and they hesitate, which opens everything up.

Prove it.. Find any correlation between running well ( not piling up tons of yards which is about number of runs)  and either winning or throwing well.  Doesn't exist so save your effort. The idea that defenses care if you do X or Y well is also ignorant. Defenses play your tendencies not your outcomes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We shall see. I’m sure they will do a solid job, it just gets difficult when you start to have one player eating up 20% or more of your cap. Look at the Ravens and how many key contributors they had to let walk to pay their QB.I think they have another year or so or Wilson's rookie deal, then we will get to see how great they really are because that dude is going to get paid. His little spring training visit to the Rangers was specifically done to send a message from his agent heading into negotiations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate it when people can't understand how important the run game is. It's the chicken and egg argument. The pass doesn't open up the run anymore than the run opens up the pass. You have to just execute at a high level  and do both well. Then the defense is kept guessing and they hesitate, which opens everything up.

Prove it.. Find any correlation between running well ( not piling up tons of yards which is about number of runs)  and either winning or throwing well.  Doesn't exist so save your effort. The idea that defenses care if you do X or Y well is also ignorant. Defenses play your tendencies not your outcomes.

You are the one claiming every great coach since the dawn of time is wrong. You prove it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We shall see. I'm sure they will do a solid job, it just gets difficult when you start to have one player eating up 20% or more of your cap. Look at the Ravens and how many key contributors they had to let walk to pay their QB.I think they have another year or so or Wilson's rookie deal, then we will get to see how great they really are because that dude is going to get paid. His little spring training visit to the Rangers was specifically done to send a message from his agent heading into negotiations.

Paying Russell would be no where near 20% of their cap. Not even close.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fair point.  No one is perfect though. But the dude learns from his mistakes. He was a huge fail as HC of the Patriots. Now look where he is.But I will say the guy just won the Super Bowl, and his players will run through a brick wall for him.

Oh I think he is great. It just goes to show that no coach can do it all on his own. He has to surround himself with a great staff. Without Bevell, the Seahawks would not have been Super Bowl Champions last year. I'm not sure they even make the playoffs if they are still effing around with that dumpster fire list of QBs they had before Wilson. Let's hope Lovie has chosen wisely for us. Maybe Tedford can help make the right decision at QB in this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did you see what Flacco signed for? And every year that the salary cap increases, new deals for super stars rise w it. A Super Bowl winning QB that is as marketable as Wilson is going to get paid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh I think he is great. It just goes to show that no coach can do it all on his own. He has to surround himself with a great staff. Without Bevell, the Seahawks would not have been Super Bowl Champions last year. I'm not sure they even make the playoffs if they are still effing around with that dumpster fire list of QBs they had before Wilson. Let's hope Lovie has chosen wisely for us. Maybe Tedford can help make the right decision at QB in this draft.

Even with Russell on board, they still went out and signed Pryor recently. They don't leave any rocks unturned.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did you see what Flacco signed for? And every year that the salary cap increases, new deals for super stars rise w it. A Super Bowl winning QB that is as marketable as Wilson is going to get paid.

No doubt about that.  But your 20% of the cap estimate,  is a wee bit overstated IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You’re probably right. It will be closer to 15%, but the point remains when they have been running the team w him representing less than 1% of the cap so far.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're probably right. It will be closer to 15%, but the point remains when they have been running the team w him representing less than 1% of the cap so far.

Your still too high. The cap for this year was 135mil or there abouts.  And if they paid Russell 13mil per, that would only be 10%.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I saw it at $133 and I think he will demand closer to 16-17 when you take into account what Stafford, Flacco, romo and other QBs recently were paid.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The top QBs make $20M/yr now. Russell is a top QB. He will get $20M/yr.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You’re dreaming if you think Russel Wilson is going to sign at 13M per.  He is going into his 3rd year so he will be able to request a new contract at the end of this season.  His contract won’t be for less than 20M annually and it might even approach 25M.Paying Wilson 15-20% of their cap will happen, or he will wear a different jersey.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly at $16-$17 I felt I was being pretty conservative.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree they have done a great job but it is also much easier to look like a genius when you have a solid QB who's only counting $700k against the cap as opposed to $15-$20 mm.

Well I think that's the more important underlying factor right there. Sure good defense helps, a top 5 QB who costs your cap less than a million a year allows you an extra 20 million to sign numerous more important starters and role players that a team like the Ravens, Bronco's, Patriots, etc.... can not afford because their QB costs so much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think Russell tries to break the bank, but that’s just a guess.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IDK, I kind of take issue with this article. Mayock is trying to make the case that football is a cyclical game which is heading back into a period where strong defense and running games will win games, but I don’t think that is necessarily the case. Mayock uses the 49ers and Seahawks as examples to make his point, saying that those are both teams that have strong Defenses and strong running games, but fails to mention that both of those teams also have an elite NFL QB under center.  It is well known that, with the way the rules are these days, teams are forced to have success through the air in order to win most games. I'm not saying a strong defense and a strong running game are not important, they most definitely are..... but success at the QB position is essential for a team's success in the NFL.

Please wait…

• bnjsnow

Participant

The 49ers and Seahawks are very similar. Great defense, special teams, and run game backed up by a mobile QB that can manage the game wisely and make things happen on his own a couple times per game. Panthers follow that blueprint too, just not as successfully. If the Rams dump Bradford and take Manziel, they will also be following that same blueprint. I think we are headed in the right direction. We'll have the defense, special teams, and run game. We just lack the mobile QB that can make things happen with his legs when needed. McCown isn't that guy, just a band aid. Like the Rams, Manziel would complete the blueprint for us. If we aren't getting Manziel, then maybe we should concentrate on trading back in the 1st round this year and take a 2015 1st as compensation. Having two 1st round picks next year would be awfully smart. Could result in us getting Mariota. A less sexy option would be to trade Glennon and use the pick gained to aquire Tyrod Taylor. Everything I have read about him talks about how far he has come as a QB in his three years with the Ravens. Bringing him here to let Tedford finish molding him could work. I think he can be that game manager type that makes 2 or 3 exceptional plays every game. Until we find that dual threat game manager though, we won't be like the Seahawks or 49ers. That is the piece that sets them apart.good post

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can't agree on the top QB part.  The top QB's like Brady or Manning can win you games on their own. So, if you put Russell on the Jags, he would look completely different. He is a nice player, but he is not Peyton. He is in a great situation in Seattle, his job is to go out there and not screw it up. And he does just that.  20mil per?  No way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're dreaming if you think Russel Wilson is going to sign at 13M per.  He is going into his 3rd year so he will be able to request a new contract at the end of this season.  His contract won't be for less than 20M annually and it might even approach 25M.Paying Wilson 15-20% of their cap will happen, or he will wear a different jersey.

Disagree.  The Seahawks will make a fair offer, and if Russell and Mark Rodgers are not digging it, they will say, ok gentlemen, have fun being a Jaguar.They brought in Pryor for a reason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

20mil per?  No way.

Kidding, right?? He will get north of $20....when his time comes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

20mil per?  No way.

I can't see it.  But we will find out soon, they are working on him and Sherman's contracts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can't agree on the top QB part.  The top QB's like Brady or Manning can win you games on their own. So, if you put Russell on the Jags, he would look completely different. He is a nice player, but he is not Peyton. He is in a great situation in Seattle, his job is to go out there and not screw it up. And he does just that.  20mil per?  No way.

Normally, I would agree with you on this one. Russell is a great QB, but he's not a guy who carries the offense on his shoulders. He's a 15-17/yr guy under normal circumstances.However, he has a dominating Super Bowl win. It raises his value. You and I might think that's dumb, but it's just how things go.If Seattle repeats this year, Russell will become the highest paid QB in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Normally, I would agree with you on this one. Russell is a great QB, but he's not a guy who carries the offense on his shoulders. He's a 15-17/yr guy under normal circumstances.However, he has a dominating Super Bowl win. It raises his value. You and I might think that's dumb, but it's just how things go.If Seattle repeats this year, Russell will become the highest paid QB in the league.

he  the team has a dominating Super Bowl win

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

20mil per?  No way.

I can't see it.  But we will find out soon, they are working on him and Sherman's contracts.

Cutler and Romo make $18.....and they haven't won shlt. No way Wilson takes less.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

20mil per?  No way.

Cutler and Romo make $18.....and they haven't won shlt. No way Wilson takes less.

I would never judge a player by what Jerry pays him. They just gave Earl Thomas a 40mil deal, IIRC. And need to resign Sherman. So those 2 things will come up when they are dealing with Mark Rodgers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m shocked

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doesn’t really matter if you think Wilson is a top QB. He has been one of the top QBs in his first two years and won a Super Bowl. He’ll get $20M/yr from the Seahawks…or someone else if they are stupid enough to let him go. And $20M is what the top guys make now, but with the Salary Cap climbing by $10M each year now, that number will go up too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, in his first two years he has had 7 TDs and 1 Int for a passer rating of 102 in the postseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Funny wasn’t Schiano’s old school running philosophy supposed to be just like the 49ers and Seahawks? That didn’t seem to work so well. I wonder why?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cause he was a busch league gap toothed neanderthal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Funny wasn't Schiano's old school running philosophy supposed to be just like the 49ers and Seahawks? That didn't seem to work so well. I wonder why?

As long your your QB is efficient you can run any sort of offense you want -- that is what Rutgers was missing. Oddly I might even argue that a run heavy offense needs a better QB because if he only throws 25 times per game he has to make those throws count. That, in the end, is what makes Wilson so good that like Aikman he doesn't throw a ton but when he does throw he is excellent at it.  Plenty of teams have been run heavy outfits over the years and most of them like the Jags and Vikes spend a lot of time drafting at the top of the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bevell was involved in those moves too, and Tavaris Jackson was there because of Bevell.Carroll and Schneider are great at what they do. Even this past free agent period, they laid down the law to their prospective free agents. They were told, this is what we can pay you. If you like it fine, if not, have a nice day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oops.  Meant to respond that Bevell was a part of those moves too.  Responsible for Jackson in particular. Stupid thumbs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its all a crapshoot. For every star a team finds, they also have hit and missed on plenty of signings. Carroll sucked in New England and now he is the benchmark for a what a NFL HC should be. He runs a great team and the players will run through a brick wall for him. Too bad, Schiano couldn’t achieve either of those things.Awhile back, when the Dolphins were interviewing for their GM job. The owner said its tough, every candidate he interviewed, claimed all the great picks his team drafted were his, and all the poor selections, were someone else's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Tedford goes for a later round QB, someone the fans will say WTF?  But I think he wants a raw guy, he can mold to his vision of what he wants in a QB.

Murray??

I have a gut feeling it's Garrett Gilbert. Lovie likes his Texas guys , and Tedford will love the raw athleticism.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carrol didn’t suck in NE.  He was just mediocre.  a let down from Parcells.  Hes always been a great defensive mind though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie likes his Texas guys

I thought he was married.

Please wait…

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.