Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 34 reply threads

• Author

• Skull and Bones

Participant

that’s not a typo.  Left Tackle :-

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t feel good about that.

• vlagatta

not true

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not even close to true

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s from Jason Licht’s mouth.  They want to move Dotson back to RT.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's from Jason Licht's mouth.  They want to move Dotson back to RT.

Once they get to camp I doubt that happens

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has the size and the all the tangibles, but it will all depend on how hard he works at it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

PewterReport.com ?@PewterReport  · 9m9 minutes ago  Smith said we've researched Donovan and he's everything we're looking for as a left tackle.PewterReport.com ?@PewterReport  · 17m17 minutes ago  Licht said OT Donovan Smith ran a sub 5.0 40-yard dash and is very patient as a pass protector.PewterReport.com ?@PewterReport  · 21m21 minutes ago  Licht said Demar Dotson will stay at right tackle with the addition of Donovan Smith at LT.Roy Cummings ?@RCummingsTBO  · 25m25 minutes ago  Bucs GM Jason Licht says the Bucs will start Donovan Smith at left tackle.PewterReport.com ?@PewterReport  · 26m26 minutes ago  Licht said Donovan Smith excelled against DE Randy Gregory in 2013. Will start off at LT to begin with, which is his natural position.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has the size and the all the tangibles, but it will all depend on how hard he works at it.

He probably is too big. An ideal LT is 305-310 lbs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not even close to true

Soooo, they're lying about their intentions? Lol are they smokescreening where he's gonna play??? 

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is lighter and more athletic than Donald Penn

• Anonymous

Inactive

PewterReport.com ?@PewterReport  · 16m16 minutes ago  Smith said Dirk Koetter will help the offensive line, too, with the new scheme.

• Anonymous

Inactive

They said He is at 325 now which I'm ok with. If He plays to his potential I could see it. He has the size and the all the tangibles, but it will all depend on how hard he works at it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

not true

Must be another smokescreen

• Anonymous

Inactive

For right now, does it really matter? Lets see how it plays out in camp. Knowing that Dotson can fill in at LT gives the team so flexibility. This really boils down to Smith’s attitude and ethic. By all accounts, he has the tools to be a successful LT. Why write him off RIGHT NOW?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Licht is an idiot for that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy is a LT and has the tangibles to be a LT if he lives up to his potential. I don’t see a reason to move him without giving him a shot. It’s not like he’ 6’2″ or something. Let the guy either show he can play LT or not, then make a decision about what you’re ultimately going to do with him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ballsy move but they can do it since they have Dotson.

• billym

Participant

I like the plan. If he shines there, you got Dotson free to play the other side. Good player there too.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe it’s better if Glennon starts the season until the oline gets settled in. I don’t think Smith can play better than Dotsonnat Lt. Not that Dotson didnt good job, but he’s been in the NFL a while now and has really improved on his technique and has NFL level strength and conditioning. It’s going to take a while for Smith to get to that point andnI don’t want Winston to have to deal with that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trent Williams similar big and athletic

• Anonymous

Inactive

Before you crucify the protector of young qb maybe check him out against Randy Gregoryhttp://draftbreakdown.com/video/donovan-smith-vs-randy-gregory-2013/Not flawless but pretty close.  Is on island pretty much the entire time with a guy considered a top 5 talent at the time.  Coaching staff believed in him to handle Gregory on his own and he did.  Also broke a 5 game sack streak for Gregory and was the only game in Gregory's last 8 that he didn't record a sack. I wasn't all that high on him before the draft but I have to say I'm impressed. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

slow down guys,  let’s see what he can do firstwe now finally have an option,  demar can play both as we learned last year, so let's test a new guy and find  him a best spot.  I am much more worried about mankins and his pass protection than about LT/RT spot

• Anonymous

Inactive

He certainly owned gregory in that film goodness.

• Anonymous

Inactive

From what I’ve read he has surprisingly quick and nimble feet for a big guy, which is key in handling speed rushers. Switching positions to RT would create an additional learning curve for him.   I'm not totally convinced he can do it successfully, but no reason not to give him a shot. I've already expressed having reservations with Dotson as our LT, so this would keep both T's at their natural positions...

• Anonymous

Inactive

no harm giving him a shot but I wouldn’t base my plans around it.

• vlagatta

dood is a natural road graderBulldozer_Motor_Grader_Chinese_Construction_Machinery.jpg

• Anonymous

Inactive

no harm giving him a shot but I wouldn't base my plans around it.

Sad part is, we won't actually find out if he can until the season because our DEs suck.... But really, give him a shot and of not move him to RT and Marpet as OG for this season until he can take over for EDS at center next year. I am honestly very excited for our o-line possibilities now. Winston will be happy and so will Rainey. I am not as depressed about skipping Kendricks as others so getting two really good,IMO, prospects for the line, I'm happy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Before you crucify the protector of young qb maybe check him out against Randy Gregoryhttp://draftbreakdown.com/video/donovan-smith-vs-randy-gregory-2013/Not flawless but pretty close.  Is on island pretty much the entire time with a guy considered a top 5 talent at the time.  Coaching staff believed in him to handle Gregory on his own and he did.  Also broke a 5 game sack streak for Gregory and was the only game in Gregory's last 8 that he didn't record a sack. I wasn't all that high on him before the draft but I have to say I'm impressed.

I'm sorry don't see  this guy being able to handle any of these NFL type DEs…first of all when he's pass protecting he shuffles his feet when normally Ts are told to kick-slide.. 2.) he's too high when getting off his stance.. 3.) did you guys notice the screen plays? on three screen plays that i saw he hit exactly 0 body…can't have a guy who's that big and run screen (which Dirk K. does a lot of) and not hit a single person…i hope I'm wrong but this dude IMO will be a career backup. Ali Marpet i think has better chance of being a decent NFL OL .

• Anonymous

Inactive

There were basically two options1) Try to finish the Dotson conversion project and deal with an adjusting 30 year old left tackle and a rookie right tackleor2) Insert the rookie at left tackle and let Dotson continue to anchor down the right side and provide support for the other rookie as an elite level right tackle.Easy to see why option 2 is the move, especially since scenario 1 would involve the entire right side of the line being rookies.

• Anonymous

Inactive

There were basically two options1) Try to finish the Dotson conversion project and deal with an adjusting 30 year old left tackle and a rookie right tackleor2) Insert the rookie at left tackle and let Dotson continue to anchor down the right side and provide support for the other rookie as an elite level right tackle.Easy to see why option 2 is the move, especially since scenario 1 would involve the entire right side of the line being rookies.

agreed you will have Mankins helping Smith and Dotson helping Marpet along with a vet center in EDS.Will there be mistakes? yup but Dotson, Smith and Marpet will be a solid long term foundation and hopefully guys like Edwards and Pamphile can develop and at worst be solid depth

• Anonymous

Inactive

From what I saw in that video, Patient pass protector is correct. Once they seemed to be engaged, he used his hands well and pretty much shut Gregory down. The problem with this is, which Gregory showed up to that game? Dude is kind of a head case.Also, he needs work in the run blocking department. there were only a few occasions (in that video) where I saw him finish a run play. When the line slides to the right he really struggled to get leverage on his guy. He left too many opportunities for Gregory to slip inside him. I also saw that he would give an initial pop and then drive a yard or so and let up...Gregory made a few tackles for short gain and one for a loss because of this.Hopefully they can work with him on making sure he finishes his blocks in the run game. Again, this is solely based off of what I saw in this video. He definitely has the size and strength to handle NFL RDE's he just needs to develop the ability to gain more leverage.

• Anonymous

Inactive

a) I’m guessing the Bucs will get him down a bit on weight, regardless of which side he plays on. b) He's used to playing on the left, Dotson's used to playing on the right - those movements are practiced and somewhat ingrained. c) I don't think the distinctions on LT and RT are all that big for a lot of teams anymore.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs still need to take a LG and Center to complete the overhaul. I wouldn’t be shocked to see another OL guy taken today.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.