Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs Players in Trouble of Being CutJustin PawlowskiAugust 21, 2015wright_zpsepxfcklz.jpgIn this Bucs Blitz Roundtable, Justin Pawlowski, Gil Arcia, and Kyle Marks discuss the players who need a strong showing on Monday night to avoid being cut.The Buccaneers don't have a lot of truly nationally recognizable names that are on the bubble during camp this year. For a team that went 2-14 last season, the goal should be to continue to bring in talent, not cut it away. With that said, there are still a few recognizable names that are flirting with that chopping block. Justin Pawlowski, Gil Arcia, and Kyle Marks share who they believe may be on the way off the roster if they do not perform well soon.Justin Pawlowski - Tim Wright (TE)I said this when the Bucs brought Wright back to the organization this off-season, and I will say it again. He lost the position battle a year ago, which led the Bucs to trading him away to the Patriots. How am I supposed to believe that Wright will magically make the squad this year when the same tight ends are still on the roster? Wright has not flashed in the practices I have seen, and he has not flashed in a game, yet. He is still a receiving threat, but with another fringe tight end in Cameron Brate making a strong case for himself, Wright might not make the Bucs roster again in 2015.Gil Arcia - Mike Jenkins (CB)The Buccaneers need depth in the secondary and cornerback Mike Jenkins may not be included. The veteran corner only saw one game last season before he was ruled out for the year in 2014. Although the team re-signed him in March, he hasn't done much of anything in camp and is behind Alterraun Verner, Johnthan Banks and Sterling Moore. In the preseason game last Saturday against Minnesota, Jenkins was beat for a touchdown. It appeared to be zone coverage so it may not have been his fault completely but there was miscommunication of sorts where Jenkins seemed puzzled and the conclusion of the play. Depth players are normally asked to participate in special teams. Another cornerback on the bubble is also Leonard Johnson but Johnson was on special teams for 12 plays while Jenkins appeared in just five. That's where Jenkins loses out, especially since he is often seen off to the side during practice. Kyle Marks - Larry English (DE)On defense I have to turn my eyes to the pass rushing group, or lack thereof. Larry English is a player that the team chose to bring back this offseason. English was brought onto the team in 2014 and supplied little production in the form of quarterback hits, pressures and sacks while rotating in for 12 games. English is entrenched behind starters Jacquies?Smith and George? Johnson while battling with the likes of T.J. Fatinikum and Lawrence Sidbury for playing time. Sidbury was dealt equal reps with English in the first pre-season game and came away with a hit on the quarterback and fumble recovery while matching English’s solo tackle. In order to make this team,? the Bucs need to see more out of English to prove his worth.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know a lot of fans want to “cut” gilkey.(Looks around)..not nice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I could see the Bucs cutting either Wright or English, but IMO Jenkins is safe. In the practice I went to he was making plays on the practice field and in subsequent PR articles, he’s been mentioned favorably. Jenkins is safe IMO.Here is my CORE team, players I feel have a roster spot locked up:Quarterback: Winston and Glennon (2)Running Back: Martin, Sims, Rainey (3)Tight End: ASJ and Stocker (2)Wide Receiver: Jackson, Evans, Murphy and Bell (4)OLine: Dotson, Mankins, Marpet, E. Smith, D. Smith, Cherilus, Pamphile (7)DE: J. Smith, Johnson (2)DT: McCoy, Melton, McDonald, McDaniel (4)LB: David, Alexander, Lansanah, Carter (4)CB: Verner, Banks, Jenkins, Moore (4)S: McDougald, Swearinger, Wright (3)K: Murray (1)LS: DePaola (1)P: Koenen? (1)FB: Lane? (1)That's 39 roster positions out of 53 I feel are completely locked up at this moment. So there are 14 open positions. Some of these are probably also locked as I think these players probably have a position lock:Fatinikun (DE)Sidbury (DE)Greene (LB)Shepard (WR) - Mainly because of special teams, but Greene above could make him expendableClay (KR/PR)I think there are a lot players on the bubble and I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-4 wavier wire pickups before the 1st game settles in. I also expect some players are being shopped, even now. With the number of TEs that have had injuries around the league, I wouldn't be surprised that we haven't called around offering up Wright, Brate or even Myers for a draft choice. JMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think any of those 3 get cut. We need depth at those positions. There are better candidates to get the axe.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think any of those 3 get cut. We need depth at those positions. There are better candidates to get the axe.

My canidates:Gilkey, koenen, and english.And, imvho, it would be retarded to cut wright, but keep stocker.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think any of those 3 get cut. We need depth at those positions. There are better candidates to get the axe.

My canidates:Gilkey, koenen, and english.And, imvho, it would be retarded to cut wright, but keep stocker.

I think Koenen stays, and I agree about Wright.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed. Koenen will probably stay, but thats what i would do, not what i think they will do.Wright isnt a swiss army knife, but none of our te guys are anyway. We should use them alongside the playcall. If we need immidate passing yards, throw wright out there. If we need a block, dial up stocker. If we need a big guy to bobble a pass, we wave for asj. Jk, kinda.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Have you been to any practices? What has Wright done? Love the guy but he has not stood out at all, while Stocker is obviously the best blocking TE and had been featured as a receiver as well lining up split wide in two tight end sets.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Have you been to any practices? What has Wright done? Love the guy but he has not stood out at all, while Stocker is obviously the best blocking TE and had been featured as a receiver as well lining up split wide in two tight end sets.

He made a few plays in the Minny game too. He just needs to stay healthy.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Agreed. Koenen will probably stay, but thats what i would do, not what i think they will do.Wright isnt a swiss army knife, but none of our te guys are anyway. We should use them alongside the playcall. If we need immidate passing yards, throw wright out there. If we need a block, dial up stocker. If we need a big guy to bobble a pass, we wave for asj. Jk, kinda.

If you're serious this sounds like a terrible plan. Koetter may as well share his playbook with the other sideline at that point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He made a few plays in the Minny game too. He just needs to stay healthy.

Wright has done well here in the past, with less.Im willing to give the guy a roster spot to even SEE if that can happen again. They felt that way too, at some capacity.Stocker isnt going to be an all time te, and AJK might be that, a joke. And neither one can stay healthy to boot. ...And wright needs to be cut?Idk if i can agree with that at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you're serious this sounds like a terrible plan. Koetter may as well share his playbook with the other sideline at that point.

Well, its not like they have to be completely obvious about it. Its not like bringing blount out, if thats what youre meaning.The rotation doesnt have to be that direct, man. Just because one or the other is out there doesnt mean they HAVE to play certain plays, just that they can in a pinch, or at the very least, an audable.I questioned that with blount, so i would question these new guys if they were that obvious with their playcalling in that regard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I don’t think Wright makes it. I think ASJ and Stocker are locks and I wouldn’t be shocked to see Brate edge out Myers as a cheaper option as the third TE. I’d bet that Jenkins makes it. I have no idea about English. I didn’t think he was particularly impressive last year but I have no idea how the grouping of mostly unknown DEs sorts out.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Well, its not like they have to be completely obvious about it. Its not like bringing blount out, if thats what youre meaning.The rotation doesnt have to be that direct, man. Just because one or the other is out there doesnt mean they HAVE to play certain plays, just that they can in a pinch, or at the very least, an audable.I questioned that with blount, so i would question these new guys if they were that obvious with their playcalling in that regard.

The issue with Wright has always been blocking. He is a decent receiving threat, but I wouldn't run anything his way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The issue with Wright has always been blocking. He is a decent receiving threat, but I wouldn't run anything his way.

which makes him one dimensional.  and for some reason he hasnt been lighting it up in the passing game.  even his best friend glennon seems to have forgotten about him.wright will certainly be a tough cut/keep for sure.  but it seems we have at least one at every position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keep all three. Brate?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we need a big guy to bobble a pass, we wave for asj. Jk, kinda.

8) 8) 8)

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

which makes him one dimensional.  and for some reason he hasnt been lighting it up in the passing game.  even his best friend glennon seems to have forgotten about him.wright will certainly be a tough cut/keep for sure.  but it seems we have at least one at every position.

It's the one dimensional aspect that may seal his fate.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know a lot of fans want to "cut" gilkey.(Looks around)..not nice.

He should have been number 1 on everyone's list....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t care what Wright hasn’t done in practice – I saw enough from him in actual NFL games a couple season ago to know he is more capable than Puke Stocker. He’s been on this roster for 5 years now and I can’t remember a single contribution he’s ever made in a game. No way Jenkins gets cut.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't care what Wright hasn't done in practice - I saw enough from him in actual NFL games a couple season ago to know he is more capable than Puke Stocker.

capable of what?  vjax, evans, asj are all bigger and faster receiving options than wright.  heck, murphy is just about as big.  so while wright does give us a better 4/5 option as a tall reciever, he provides us much less in the blocking options.but of course you already know that, you just dont believe blocking is important.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't care what Wright hasn't done in practice - I saw enough from him in actual NFL games a couple season ago to know he is more capable than Puke Stocker.

capable of what?  vjax, evans, asj are all bigger and faster receiving options than wright.  heck, murphy is just about as big.  so while wright does give us a better 4/5 option as a tall reciever, he provides us much less in the blocking options.but of course you already know that, you just dont believe blocking is important.

I have a problem with "just pass catching" TE's.  He's always been light in the drawers. I'm 50 years old and I don't think he could block me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if koetter thinks we can use him, great.  if not, oh well.  hes shown he can make some plays when needed, but hes also shown that he is missing something.  will that something be important to koetter?

Please wait…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.