Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• Eric Horchy

Keymaster

If it’s up to Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive line coach George Warhop, nearly all his men in the trenches would have “OL” next to their rostered names as opposed to the position-specific “C” or “G” or “T.”At least that’s the message the veteran O-line coach conveyed during a media session Thursday at One Buc Place when asked about the worth of players who can slide around the unit – notably backups.https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-preaching-versatility-up-front/

• Anonymous

Inactive

…if warhop puts EDS out there at C, over hawley, i think i’ll vomit.

• williebrowntown

...if warhop puts EDS out there at C, over hawley, i think i'll vomit.

Highly, highly doubt it. The coaches were all on the sidelines and watched every snap of football this team played last year multiple times. They're not blind to who was the better player last year. Every coach at every position for every team in the NFL is preaching competition right now. EDS is a serviceable swing C/G but he obviously hasn't lived up to the money he got paid a few years ago. The only way I see Hawley not starting at center is if they try Marpet out and Hawley plays guard. I think RT is the only position up for grabs this year but it's leaning heavily Dotson's way. I love how they're trying to get 6 or 7 guys that can play from LT to RT, basically. While it's not truly realistic, the more versatile your guys, the better. You never know when an injury will happen and it's better to have your best 5 guys out there (minus your injured starter) than to have your 7th or 8th best lineman becuase the injury happened at guard and your best backup is strictly a LT.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Versatile and scrappy

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hawley did a great job last year, but I think the O-Line that gets the most talent out there could be Donovan Smith at LT, Pamphile at LG, Marpet at Center, JR Sweezy at RG, the only position he played in Seattle, and Dotson or Benenoch at RT. Now I don’t know well Marpet can snap the ball, and Hawley was a big upgrade there over EDS. If Marpet can snap though, he could be a Nick Mangold, Alex Mack type player who can pull and get to the 2nd level from the Center position. It could also prolong Marpet’s career, as he seems a little undersized for the grind of trench warfare in the NFL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

but I think the O-Line that gets the most talent out there could be Donovan Smith at LT, Pamphile at LG, Marpet at Center, JR Sweezy at RG, the only position he played in Seattle, and Dotson or Benenoch at RT.

I think Benenoch will develop into a starting RT. If Marpet can end up being a solid C, allowing Sweezy to play RG; our run game should be seriously dominant.

• Anonymous

Inactive

but I think the O-Line that gets the most talent out there could be Donovan Smith at LT, Pamphile at LG, Marpet at Center, JR Sweezy at RG, the only position he played in Seattle, and Dotson or Benenoch at RT.

I think Benenoch will develop into a starting RT. If Marpet can end up being a solid C, allowing Sweezy to play RG; our run game should be seriously dominant.

Yeah, Licht has done an amazing job with our O-Line. To think 2 years ago Dotson was far and away our best O-Lineman. I do think Dotson is going to have a good year though, and RT against good edge rushing is really key playing teams who have that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Versatility, up front, is probably pretty important if you have ED.

• williebrowntown

Hawley did a great job last year, but I think the O-Line that gets the most talent out there could be Donovan Smith at LT, Pamphile at LG, Marpet at Center, JR Sweezy at RG, the only position he played in Seattle, and Dotson or Benenoch at RT. Now I don't know well Marpet can snap the ball, and Hawley was a big upgrade there over EDS. If Marpet can snap though, he could be a Nick Mangold, Alex Mack type player who can pull and get to the 2nd level from the Center position. It could also prolong Marpet's career, as he seems a little undersized for the grind of trench warfare in the NFL.

So you think Pamphile is a better player than Hawley? Not looking at specifics of position just overall better lineman from #1, most talented, to #10, least talent? I'm interested to hear what makes you think so... I like Pamphile but I, personally haven't seen enough from him starting 1 game and playing swing tackle to think he's better than any of our starting 5.

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be a fantastic selection outcome for certain.  Freakin' huge for the offense...

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you think Pamphile is a better player than Hawley? Not looking at specifics of position just overall better lineman from #1, most talented, to #10, least talent? I'm interested to hear what makes you think so... I like Pamphile but I, personally haven't seen enough from him starting 1 game and playing swing tackle to think he's better than any of our starting 5.

Our most dominant performance in the run game last year was against the Jags with Pamphile playing in place of Mankins. I'm basing it off that game, and what he put together as the 6th O-Lineman. It also has more to do with thinking that Marpet could be a fantastic Center, but Hawley probably can't play Guard.

• williebrowntown

Our most dominant performance in the run game last year was against the Jags with Pamphile playing in place of Mankins. I'm basing it off that game, and what he put together as the 6th O-Lineman. It also has more to do with thinking that Marpet could be a fantastic Center, but Hawley probably can't play Guard.

That's fair. I was just making sure there wasn't something I've missed. I think Pamphile is going to continue to devolpe into a starter somewhere along our line... hell fall into place somewhere. As I noted in a different thread I could see them letting Hawley go after this year (assuming Marpet can play center) and flipping Sweezy to RG and Pamphile starting at LG next year. Either way he's a valuable asset to the team no doubt.

• rpratto

Participant

Good thread.  Warhop was recently quoted saying that he wants “Five offensive linemen who can play ten offensive line positions”

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good thread.  Warhop was recently quoted saying that he wants "Five offensive linemen who can play ten offensive line positions"

This is (imo) good thinking and I intend to watch and enjoy…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.