Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs’ run defense is not physical enough September 30, 2015    Gil Arcia  blue_zps3ql6rn1f.jpgHouston Texans’ running back Alfred Blue rush for 139 yard on 31 carries Sunday against the Buccaneers. As a team, they ran for 186 yards. It’s something that the Bucs deserve much criticism for. Tampa Bay has made it the norm to allow the opposition to be fantasy stars for that week. They have put in much work this past offseason to only see themselves ranked 30th so far this season. Bucs’ linebacker and defensve captain Lavonte David feels they may have a solution to their problem.“I think it’s just a matter of – we’re playing fast, but sometimes getting out of position,” David said. “Once we’re out there playing fast and plus [not] getting out of position, I think it will be a lot better.”David’s words carry truth. Unfortunately, that’s not their problem entirely.The Bucs have often missed tackles. Their defensive linemen — specifically Gerald McCoy — have been pushed off the snap by opposing offensive linemen. And when they are in position to make the play, they don’t. Like David himself as you can see in the following All-22 clip.clip_zps7pwuzepo.pngAll-22 Clip.....linkSo while the Bucs may feel they are just out of position, in reality they are just missing tackles or being pushed around. They just haven’t been physical enough so far.link

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Get more physical? They are already getting 50 flags a game we dont need more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have seen David getting blocked easily by OLinemen. He needs to do a better job of slipping those blocks or else nothing will improve. Most of the time it's not that they are in the wrong gap, it's that they are getting blocked and they aren't in any gap at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have seen David getting blocked easily by OLinemen. He needs to do a better job of slipping those blocks or else nothing will improve. Most of the time it's not that they are in the wrong gap, it's that they are getting blocked and they aren't in any gap at all.

While most love our athletic MLB and WLB, I'm one of them, they do struggle against the run. Both are undersized and stuggle with getting off blocks. They both rely on evading blockers to make the play, that is a dangerous game because it creates holes.I've also had my fill of our DE's sprinting up field off the snap of the ball creating a huge hold to fill by our LBers. They need to stay on the LOS, squeeze the gap. That happened a lot last week. Johnson was pass rushing on a run play, or at least it looked like it by him being 4 yards into the backfield while the play easily hit second level behind him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s hard to be physical when you are not hitting the other team’s players. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While most love our athletic MLB and WLB, I'm one of them, they do struggle against the run. Both are undersized and stuggle with getting off blocks. They both rely on evading blockers to make the play, that is a dangerous game because it creates holes.I've also had my fill of our DE's sprinting up field off the snap of the ball creating a huge hold to fill by our LBers. They need to stay on the LOS, squeeze the gap. That happened a lot last week. Johnson was pass rushing on a run play, or at least it looked like it by him being 4 yards into the backfield while the play easily hit second level behind him.

Good observation, sir!  They are too eager to make the tackle themselves, rather than tie up the blocker (which often bottles up the run) and let a TEAMMATE(s) in better position make the tackle.

Please wait…

• vbucobruce

Good observation, sir!  They are too eager to make the tackle themselves, rather than tie up the blocker (which often bottles up the run) and let a TEAMMATE(s) in better position make the tackle.

Please start Will Gholston on 1st and 2nd down

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Buc’s run defense is not disciplined enough”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When we give up runs early it seems it’s almost always a gap-discipline issue, and when we give them up late, it’s a physical (tired) issue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree.Kwon Alexander has been physical. He met his ex teammate Blue countless times and stopped him in his tracks from obtaining yards after contact.Banks, when he plays is stout as a CB can be against run defense.Right now the issues are clear with the run defense:1. Gerald McCoy2. Lavonte David3. McDougald/SwearingerConte has been surprisingly a better tackler than the majority of the Bucs defense thus far.  And people made fun of him for his tackling.  This guy is making clean open field tackles and is hustling.  I wish the rest of the defense was as aggressive as Conte.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree.Kwon Alexander has been physical. He met his ex teammate Blue countless times and stopped him in his tracks from obtaining yards after contact.Banks, when he plays is stout as a CB can be against run defense.Right now the issues are clear with the run defense:1. Gerald McCoy2. Lavonte David3. McDougald/SwearingerConte has been surprisingly a better tackler than the majority of the Bucs defense thus far.  And people made fun of him for his tackling.  This guy is making clean open field tackles and is hustling.  I wish the rest of the defense was as aggressive as Conte.

ADW, it's hard to belive what you typed but it's true. Hard to believe because those guys mentioned should be our best and most physical guys. I don't get it at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This seems to fall back on how different Lovie Smith as a HC is from Tony Dungy, who insisted on and got discipline, Lovie not so much. Very surprising to me, but the pattern is there…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When we give up runs early it seems it's almost always a gap-discipline issue, and when we give them up late, it's a physical (tired) issue.

I agree...after about 30 plays there's a noticeable drop off...Also, I wish they would put a more beefy NT along side GMac...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ADW, it's hard to belive what you typed but it's true. Hard to believe because those guys mentioned should be our best and most physical guys. I don't get it at all.

GMac is doing his job, Conte killed us with penalties, David and a host of others just flat out missed tackles or didn't make the plays...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Buc's run defense is not disciplined enough"

Fixed

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Buc's run defense is not disciplined enough"

Fixed

But but isn't being discipline what our head man brings to the table? What a joke

Please wait…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.