Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• rm71

Participant

Pro Football Focus ranked the Bucs secondary as the sixth best in the league this season. See: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-secondary-rankings

Here is the write-up: “Jamel Dean and Carlton Davis gave the Buccaneers impressive corner play on the outside this season. They ranked third and 25th, respectively, among all outside corners in coverage grade during the regular season. Only two other teams had two outside corners rank inside the top 25 in coverage grade this season.”

PFF rankings are a bit quirky but they do account for plays away from the ball, i.e., when coverage is so good the throw goes elsewhere. The write-up suggests the Bucs strength is on the corners, toward the sidelines. Of course, as we all saw last week, the weakness is in the middle, on intermediate throws, when the Bucs play a soft zone. This all suggests some creative schemes could help–the Bucs have the talent.

Also, Washington ranked no. 7 and the Saints ranked no. 21, which suggests Brady should have success this weekend–IF he is protected.

• jcaulfield8

Participant

This is because smb got burnt every other pass. Why look at those two cbs when you don’t need to

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing!

SMB looks moderately better. However, still not average.

Between SMB and Devin White I fear that’s enough for Drew Brees to capitalize on. They leave too many holes.

That and not getting enough pressure from Shaq attack.. really need the D-Line and rushers to step up.

• TBChucky

Participant

Thank you for your service, sir.

I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing!

Between SMB and Devin White I fear that’s enough for Drew Brees to capitalize on. They leave too many holes.

That and not getting enough pressure from Shaq attack.. really need the D-Line and rushers to step up.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

I don’t need a report to tell me what I’ve been watching all season.

Our secondary is a problem.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Agreed.

When someone says secondary, they’re talking about pass coverage. The OP is bringing up individual performance, not group performance, which is what is being identified by saying “secondary”.

When you add the exploitation of SMB and White, then we can see the reasons why our secondary remains porous. Factor in the lack of pass rush and it puts far more stress on our secondary. @Nobody shared the loss of Vea not only affected the run defense, but also the pass rush as Vea takes on double teams. Another factor is defensive scheming, which destroyed us in the second game with the Saints. We put Davis on an island in the second game against the Saints and we lost big despite Davis putting up a fight.

• m_j

Participant

that ranking is a joke! really bad one!!

• RW

Participant

Some guys in the secondary are a problem. White covering guys is a problem. The 4 man pass rush is a problem. Combination of things.

• RW

Participant

Do you even know what PFF is? It’s no joke.

• ArmyBuc91

Participant

Great analysis from this guy.

Bottom line: you can tell these guys were not on the same page/comfortable with understanding their defensive assignments.

Zone assignments were blown, players weren’t instinctive on who to pick up in their zone and who the players on their team would pick up.

Consequently, Brees easily exploited our zone coverages. So many holes. So many open players. It looked easy for him cause we made it easy for them.

• m_j

Participant

Do you even know what PFF is? It’s no joke.

of course, but this proves how misleading stats may be

• BucsBay

Participant

Smb is ok when he’s in the slot. I bet they simplify things for White. Deonne Buchanon who they just brought up is an interesting name this coaching staff has been with forever. I think they may trust him in the middle on early, play action downs more than the do White. I still wish we had another veteran cover guy. This group is guaranteed to have some gaffs, but hopefully they can make some plays too.

• Buc on the Move

Participant

I think Buchannon is depth for injury/covid, otherwise where has he been all year, if he’s so good?

Bowles/Arian/Licht are going to Ride and/or Die with their #5 overall MLB. If he shows growth, and plays up to his potential in a gameplan that suits his strengths, then we should be fine.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.