Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s because he’s big and fast.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Way too optimistic.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s one of my favorite players and will be starting at some point during the season.

• rag1999

Participant

Way too optimistic.

Someone has to be you pessimistic SOB!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Way too optimistic.

Someone has to be you pessimistic SOB!

I’ll take the middle ground. Let’s see how he does. But after last year Licht deserves some slack.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Should have signed Reggie Nelson.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yessir. We could have drafted Smith still and groomed him. Conte is garbage. Spare me the metrics.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yessir. We could have drafted Smith still and groomed him. Conte is garbage. Spare me the metrics.

Agree. This one was a whiff.

• rpratto

Participant

They better commit to him at one spot or another.  The worst thing you can do with a young DB is move him back and forth early in his career

• Anonymous

Inactive

I actually think Smith could be a very good center fielder for us. Hopefully it plays out that way.

• tlclay74

One thing I will praise this guy for is his instincts. One thing that makes a great football player are the ones who have a natural instinct no matter what position they are playing. This is even more true for defensive players. You cannot be a great DB without instincts. You can be a good DB or serviceable in spots without instincts if you have the athletic ability and you stick with your assignment… but the great ones have that natural instinct (For diagnosing routes, reading the QB, finding the ball in the air, taking good angles, and tackling).Ryan Smith has those natural instincts... which is key. The kid has the athletic ability to play corner, so he should be able to make a smooth transition to safety. Similar to Tanard Jackson without the character issues. For him to be able to sit back and monitor the field will pay dividends if our pass rush has improved. I can see him being able to capitalize on poorly thrown balls, something our safeties failed miserably at last season.  He's also not afraid to stick his nose in there and tackle which is a plus. There's a lot of upside to this player. I hope he can put it all together and earn the starting FS spot. There's definitely not a viable path to a starting CB role for him (barring injury), but there is ample opportunity for him to earn a starting position at one of the safety spots. I hope he goes into camp and takes the starting position like Kwon did... and prove doubters wrong about the "small school" like Marpet did. I will reserve judgment until we see him in action, but I like his intangibles and his natural instincts.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.