Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 48 reply threads

• Author

• Bucz108

Participant

Yeah, he’ll be franchised. But there’s two different franchise tags: an exclusive tag, and a non-exclusive tag. I’m assuming Von Miller will get the non-exclusive version, which is used much more frequently than the exclusive tag. (Last year, all 5 players franchised got the non-exclusive tag, including Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas. If Von Miller gets the non exclusive franchise tag, he's free to negotiate and sign with another team. If the Broncos don't match the contract, the team that signs him has to give up two first round picks. If I'm the Bucs, I'd make Von an offer the Broncos can't match, and give up the two 1st rounders. (9th pick this year, and I assume somewhere in the 20's next year). Make it happen, Jason!

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was saying the same thing last night to one of my friends.  If they mess up and do a non-exclusive I think we would have some competition.  He’s better than any pass rusher in this draft and he’s young.  I would be ok with that move.

• Anonymous

Inactive

glad you two aren’t running our team….

• Anonymous

Inactive

Von Miller is a once in a generation pass rusher. Absolutely worth this year’s top pick where we’re looking for a pass rusher, and next year’s (hopefully in the 20’s). He would instantly make our defense a billion times better the minute he stepped on the field.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would you trade a first rounder for Von Miller?  In essence that’s all you are doing.  We are probably going to draft a DE with our first pick.  Von Miller replaces that pick and then they get our first next year.  I’m all for trading draft picks for young, proven NFL players.  What DE in this draft can you guarantee will have the same success as Von Miller?  Let’s say we use it on Spence he gets his millions and decides to blow it on E.  That’s a waste of a pick.  Yes 2 first rounders are expensive but if we plan to draft a DE any way then all we are really trading is a first next year for A proven pass rusher.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would they need to tag him? They will make him an offer he cant refuse, and he will take it. I am guessing something in the 90 mil range. He is still young.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why on god’s green Earth would Denver EVER let him walk away?This thread deserves three loaves.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would they need to tag him? They will make him an offer he cant refuse, and he will take it. I am guessing something in the 90 mil range. He is still young.

It'll be $100M+Either way, he's not getting out of Denver

• Anonymous

Inactive

It'll be $100M+Either way, he's not getting out of Denver

Agree

• Anonymous

Inactive

Denver would just match whatever offer he got.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or....resign him before free agency starts.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

65 minutes after I started this thread:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/09/broncos-should-consider-exclusive-version-of-franchise-tag-for-von-miller/

That only makes sense if he had a year or two left. You hold him hostage for a year for big money.But the dude is 26 years old. They will offer him the moon, and he will accept. Why go play for Cleveland or whatever? He just won the Super Bowl.

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL Yeah, THAT’S going to happen. Fantasy football this is not.

• Anonymous

Inactive

65 minutes after I started this thread:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/09/broncos-should-consider-exclusive-version-of-franchise-tag-for-von-miller/

That only makes sense if he had a year or two left. You hold him hostage for a year for big money.But the dude is 26 years old. They will offer him the moon, and he will accept. Why go play for Cleveland or whatever? He just won the Super Bowl.

“I want to stay with the Broncos for 15-20 years, but money talks."http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/09/denver-broncos-von-miller-contract-comments-ellen-showIt could also make sense for Denver. They only have about $6 million under the cap.  They'll get more cap space when Manning retires, but maybe they don't want to spend $20 mil/ year on Von when they already have a couple young DE's on the roster, plus whoever they'd draft with their extra two first round picks.

• Anonymous

Inactive

“I want to stay with the Broncos for 15-20 years, but money talks."http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/09/denver-broncos-von-miller-contract-comments-ellen-showIt could also make sense for Denver. They only have about $6 million under the cap.  They'll get more cap space when Manning retires, but maybe they don't want to spend $20 mil/ year on Von when they already have a couple young DE's on the roster, plus whoever they'd draft with their extra two first round picks.

Elway doesn't roll like that. They will re-sign Von, and lose a couple other guys like Malik Jackson. They already know that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I live in Denver, and I can say with absolute certainty that there is no way Von Miller is playing for anyone but the Broncos next season, unless he does something incredibly dumb like getting busted for domestic abuse.  The team knows he is the engine in their defense, and their defense is the strength of the team.  They are also going to do whatever they can to keep Malik Jackson.  Danny Trevathan is high on their priority list, too.  They may run out of money before they get to him.On a side note, there have been a lot of people out here clamoring for the Broncos to trade Demaryius Thomas.  He signed a huge contract last offseason, but was non-existent for the regular season and playoffs.  Apparently if they make a move before Friday, they wouldn't be on the hook for all of his guaranteed money.  I'd say it's an extremely outside chance he gets moved, but worth keeping an eye on.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We could easily absorb a huge 2016 hit that they couldn't. We could make a contract they basically couldn't match.He is going to sign a long term contract with Denver.  If they are stupid enough to non exclusive franchise him, I would absolutely be calling his agent. I bet multiple teams would.

• Anonymous

Inactive

glad you two aren't running our team....

Because they'd be willing to trade draft picks for the best pass rusher in the NFL after JJ Watt?Obviously Von Miller isn't leaving Denver but if we had some who was running our team that valued two first round picks over Von miller then I'd be pretty worried.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We could easily absorb a huge 2016 hit that they couldn't. We could make a contract they basically couldn't match.

Exactly. 6 years, $120 million , $60 million guaranteed. 2016:  $30 million2017:  $10 million2018-2021: $20 mil / year

• Anonymous

Inactive

I should win the lottery. I should date Jesicca Alba. I should be the president. All of these have a better chance of happening than the Broncos letting Miller go.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We could easily absorb a huge 2016 hit that they couldn't. We could make a contract they basically couldn't match.

Exactly. 6 years, $120 million , $60 million guaranteed. 2016:  $30 million2017:  $10 million2018-2021: $20 mil / year

Dude, its never going to get to that point, is what people are saying.  Elway is no dummy. He will be re-signed before free agency even starts, in a month or so.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be shocked if Elway let him walk, even for two first round picks. Can't see this ever happening.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they tagged him, I would certainly try to steal him for 2 1sts. That WOULD be a steal.BUT1) Denver will most certainly resign him to a contract 2) Even IF he got tagged, would you sign in Tampa over a SB winning DEN? Probably not.

• CapnFear

Participant

Not going to happen.They will get some cap relief with Peyton moving on, there was discussion on NFL radio about letting Clady go because of injury issues which will clear up some cap space.  As well as V. Davis which will clear up a little.  Also, they can get creative about the structure of the contract (increased signing bonus, backload the contract, etc).  The issues that they are going to have is trying to get Jackson and Trevathian (sp) signed because they signed Wolfe earlier in the season.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Miller is a great player, but he’s not worth 2 1st round draft picks (one being 9th overall) and $100 million dollars, especially considering there will be some good edge rushers available in Free Agency.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I live in Denver, and I can say with absolute certainty that there is no way Von Miller is playing for anyone but the Broncos next season, unless he does something incredibly dumb like getting busted for domestic abuse. 

I don't live in Denver, but exactly this.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, he'll be franchised. But there's two different franchise tags: an exclusive tag, and a non-exclusive tag. I'm assuming Von Miller will get the non-exclusive version, which is used much more frequently than the exclusive tag. (Last year, all 5 players franchised got the non-exclusive tag, including Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas. If Von Miller gets the non exclusive franchise tag, he's free to negotiate and sign with another team. If the Broncos don't match the contract, the team that signs him has to give up two first round picks. If I'm the Bucs, I'd make Von an offer the Broncos can't match, and give up the two 1st rounders. (9th pick this year, and I assume somewhere in the 20's next year). Make it happen, Jason!

That idea is only possible here

• Anonymous

Inactive

…they still have a fax machine?

• rpratto

Participant

The two first round picks are not definite.  Tampa could always negotiate with Denver to lower that cost.  As for an offer that couldn’t be matched, I’d say put a “poison pill” in the contract where if he plays at least ten games in Denver, then the entire contract is guaranteed.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember the league doing something about the poison pill language. Isn’t that what got us caught up with George Johnson having to give them a pick for a no pick RFA?  Cause we tried to poison pill the offer sheet and the league invalidated it. Something like that. We can poison pill them with 2016 cap hit they can not absorb without breaking up their roster, but not underhanded language like your example. I am glad the league shit that crap down.

• Anonymous

Inactive

HOW many time does it have to be repeated? The Buccaneers are NOT going to trade away multiple high draft picks for ANYONE! Certainly not two number ones. Do you see teams like the Patriots doing that? Of course not, quite the opposite. You do NOT get into the playoffs year after year by trading away high draft picks!IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN and NOR SHOULD IT!Whew, you would think......

• Anonymous

Inactive

HOW many time does it have to be repeated? The Buccaneers are NOT going to trade away multiple high draft picks for ANYONE! Certainly not two number ones. Do you see teams like the Patriots doing that? Of course not, quite the opposite. You do NOT get into the playoffs year after year by trading away high draft picks!IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN and NOR SHOULD IT!Whew, you would think......

I disagree with your example. If the NFL has showed anything, its shown that there is no specific template or model with how to do FA or draft or win SBs. Other then great defenses are always a good football team. but you use the patriots as an example. Give us the Patriots roster instead and remove Tom Brady and the Bucs are a garbage football team still. You think theyre roster is something to brag about? What works for the Patriots works because Tom Brady + BB + the coaching. Theyre consistently in the playoffs with rosters that arent even that great, its not like the have sick rosters every year like the Stealers or Bengals. If we want to look at examples and empirical evidence then we can look at the massive amounts of busted draft picks every year and can easily say why would you not trade something that has a probability rate of less then 50% to be successful for a future hall of fame pass rusher in his prime? Of course you build through the draft, of course you shouldnt assemble teams through just FA or mortgage future picks all the time, but every team every year everthing in the NFL is situational. Right now we need to improve the defense, specifically the passrushing aspect. If there was a stud pass rusher prospect at pick 9 its 100% who we would be drafting. The probability of that this prospect being as effective on the field as Von Miller is slim to none. If the Bucs had the ability to trade 2 firsts one of the most proven effective pass rushers in the NFL who will be just 27 next year, then it would be dumb not to. I agree that its not going to happen, of course its not. Completely disagree that it shouldn't if it were possible.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree with your example. If the NFL has showed anything, its shown that there is no specific template or model with how to do FA or draft or win SBs. Other then great defenses are always a good football team. but you use the patriots as an example. Give us the Patriots roster instead and remove Tom Brady and the Bucs are a garbage football team still. You think theyre roster is something to brag about? What works for the Patriots works because Tom Brady + BB + the coaching. Theyre consistently in the playoffs with rosters that arent even that great, its not like the have sick rosters every year like the Stealers or Bengals. If we want to look at examples and empirical evidence then we can look at the massive amounts of busted draft picks every year and can easily say why would you not trade something that has a probability rate of less then 50% to be successful for a future hall of fame pass rusher in his prime? Of course you build through the draft, of course you shouldnt assemble teams through just FA or mortgage future picks all the time, but every team every year everthing in the NFL is situational. Right now we need to improve the defense, specifically the passrushing aspect. If there was a stud pass rusher prospect at pick 9 its 100% who we would be drafting. The probability of that this prospect being as effective on the field as Von Miller is slim to none. If the Bucs had the ability to trade 2 firsts one of the most proven effective pass rushers in the NFL who will be just 27 next year, then it would be dumb not to. I agree that its not going to happen, of course its not. Completely disagree that it shouldn't if it were possible.

Garv is right...you don't mortgage the team's future to draft one guy...that's insane no matter how you look at it...That sounds like something rodbassontopoundsoftoastjones would propose

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two first round draft picks for the right to pay a huge chunk of salary cap.  Man, I am really glad some of you don’t run our team.  We’d have a team full of has beens with guaranteed money an no draft picks.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, we traded two firsts and two seconds to replace a HOF head coach, and got a Lombardi out of it.  It all depends on the situation you’re in.  It would be a hell of a lot better trade than two firsts for a loud mouthed possession receiver or a first to have Revis for one season.  We've done worse.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, we traded two firsts and two seconds to replace a HOF head coach, and got a Lombardi out of it.  It all depends on the situation you're in.  It would be a hell of a lot better trade than two firsts for a loud mouthed possession receiver or a first to have Revis for one season.  We've done worse.

Two first round picks for Von Miller? That would be the worst

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, we traded two firsts and two seconds to replace a HOF head coach, and got a Lombardi out of it.  It all depends on the situation you're in.  It would be a hell of a lot better trade than two firsts for a loud mouthed possession receiver or a first to have Revis for one season.  We've done worse.

Especially when one of those picks is Myles Jack #sheesh

• Anonymous

Inactive

Especially when one of those picks is Myles Jack #sheesh

LoL

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we could get Von Miller for 2 first round picks, it would be the most obvious thing in the world for the Bucs to do.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we could get Von Miller for 2 first round picks, it would be the most obvious thing in the world for the Bucs to do.

Blue font?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oblivious maybe. No first round picks until 2018? That would be stupid for a team building through the draft. Flat out bone stupid and it's not going to happen.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We let one of the best corners in the NFL (Revis) walk because of his large salary and cap hit. No way the Bucs will spend that kind of money and lose two first rounders, no chance!

• Anonymous

Inactive

That sounds like something rodbassontopoundsoftoastjones would propose

He is on to another username these days, try to keep up.  j/k

• rag1999

Participant

That sounds like something rodbassontopoundsoftoastjones would propose

He is on to another username these days, try to keep up.  j/k

He's got a new username? When did that happen? What is his new username?

• Anonymous

Inactive

We let one of the best corners in the NFL (Revis) walk because of his large salary and cap hit. No way the Bucs will spend that kind of money and lose two first rounders, no chance!

Oh, I don't know.  Seems to me it would be *entirely* in character for the team to trade two first round picks for Miller, give him a $100 contract, have him get suspended again and then cut without playing a game.  :-p

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oblivious maybe. No first round picks until 2018? That would be stupid for a team building through the draft. Flat out bone stupid and it's not going to happen.

What are you hoping for with our first round picks in 2016 and 2017?  I consider the best edge rusher in the NFL excellent return on those two picks. Even factoring in that we would immediately have to pay him as such. Isn't the point of team building to acquire really good players?  If there was a DE prospect in this draft who we knew would quickly become the best edge rusher in the NFL, you wouldn't trade our #9 and 2017 #1 to move up to #1 overall to draft him? 

• Anonymous

Inactive

What are you hoping for with our first round picks in 2016 and 2017?  I consider the best edge rusher in the NFL excellent return on those two picks. Even factoring in that we would immediately have to pay him as such. Isn't the point of team building to acquire really good players?  If there was a DE prospect in this draft who we knew would quickly become the best edge rusher in the NFL, you wouldn't trade our #9 and 2017 #1 to move up to #1 overall to draft him?

No. There are too many other top players at the position in the draft and I'm not in favor in trading future first round picks for any reason. It leads to years of mediocrity as has been proven over and over again. The Buccaneers themselves proved it. And are you suggesting the Buccaneers would move Von to DE? Two first round picks for a player being asked to play in a new system? No. It is not worth the risk under any circustances and it simply will not happen.The Buccaneers are building through the draft now. It's the right way to do it and trading away top draft picks for players half way trough their carreer? How does THAT add it? It doesn't.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two potential starters on the OL and WR positions...Adding Miller to the Bucs right now would be like hanging a Cartier necklace on a pig...

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.