Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

The funny thing is, with all the love we’re getting, the only real change to the roster than we made was replacing the QB. Yeah, we added Gronk later, but the Bucs were getting tons of love even before him. Also, I think people are severely over hyping what Gronkowski will bring to the team this season.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Any team that signed Brady was winning the offseason. Still in shock that he chose Tampa. Gave it about a .2 percent chance when the rumors came out. Just hope we can get back to the playoffs. Been too long..

• Trask Force

Participant

Also:

Winner: Jason Licht, GM, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

A particularly big winner in this scenario is Tampa Bay’s general manager. Licht has been the general manager for six years, and the Bucs have gone 34-62 during his time in charge. That’s the third-worst mark in football. The team has cycled through three coaches over that six-year span, and while Licht nailed first-round picks on wide receiver Mike Evans and defensive tackle Vita Vea, he’s also the one who drafted Jameis Winston and stuck with the embattled quarterback over the past five years. Licht also whiffed on most of his second-round selections, most notably kicker Roberto Aguayo, who was the low point of an almost comical inability from the organization to identify a competent kicker.

Licht is by all accounts a nice guy, and he has hit on a number of his midround selections too. Teams are generally too aggressive in getting rid of their top decision-makers, and I’m not saying Licht should have been fired. Typically, though, general managers with that sort of track record don’t get to enter a seventh offseason, and when Licht did, he managed to convince Brady and Gronkowski to come to town. Nobody would have batted an eye if the Bucs let go of Licht last offseason; now, if the Bucs live up to expectations, he might very well win Executive of the Year.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Also:

Winner: Jason Licht, GM, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

A particularly big winner in this scenario is Tampa Bay’s general manager. Licht has been the general manager for six years, and the Bucs have gone 34-62 during his time in charge. That’s the third-worst mark in football. The team has cycled through three coaches over that six-year span, and while Licht nailed first-round picks on wide receiver Mike Evans and defensive tackle Vita Vea, he’s also the one who drafted Jameis Winston and stuck with the embattled quarterback over the past five years. Licht also whiffed on most of his second-round selections, most notably kicker Roberto Aguayo, who was the low point of an almost comical inability from the organization to identify a competent kicker.

Licht is by all accounts a nice guy, and he has hit on a number of his midround selections too. Teams are generally too aggressive in getting rid of their top decision-makers, and I’m not saying Licht should have been fired. Typically, though, general managers with that sort of track record don’t get to enter a seventh offseason, and when Licht did, he managed to convince Brady and Gronkowski to come to town. Nobody would have batted an eye if the Bucs let go of Licht last offseason; now, if the Bucs live up to expectations, he might very well win Executive of the Year.

The right move, by the Bucs after the 2018 season was to clean house. Fire Licht and Koetter and let Winston walk and his replacement. Some stupid team would have signed him to start and we probably would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

The funny thing is, with all the love we’re getting, the only real change to the roster than we made was replacing the QB. Yeah, we added Gronk later, but the Bucs were getting tons of love even before him. Also, I think people are severely over hyping what Gronkowski will bring to the team this season.

Gronk brings the same winning attitude Brady will… he’ll show Howard how to be a true pro and techniques on how to be a better blocker which is priceless… I think you’re the one severely underestimating what Gronk can bring to the team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t tell that puta DeflategateJabooJones.

Jameis sucks.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

I’m ecstatic we got Gronk. That move was more about making Brady’s transition easier but don’t tell me he won’t be an upgrade over what we have. Also a nice redzone weapon. Wouldn’t be shocked to see some 3 TE set plays

He isn’t going to score 12 tds and break 1000 yards but I could see him putting up like 8 tds.

• Barnz1

Participant

Even putting aside the massive change of 35 turnover Jameis to Brady and Gronk (Lol at him not making a difference taking snaps from Brate but anyways…) We:

– Picked up a top 5-10 rated player in the draft at RT who is possibly the most athletic OT every drafted to replace our 34 year old RT who couldn’t run block to save his life and had 10 penalties
      – Picked up a top 2-3 rated safety in the draft who is one of the most immediate impact rookies coming off a 7 interception season…after a season of bad safety play
      – Upgraded Peyton Barber (who had the lowest YPC of anyone in the NFL over 150 carries). Anytime he ran the ball was a waste of possession for our offense.

You don’t think these are “real” roster changes?

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Even putting aside the massive change of 35 turnover Jameis to Brady and Gronk (Lol at him not making a difference taking snaps from Brate but anyways…) We:

– Picked up a top 5-10 rated player in the draft at RT who is possibly the most athletic OT every drafted to replace our 34 year old RT who couldn’t run block to save his life and had 10 penalties
      – Picked up a top 2-3 rated safety in the draft who is one of the most immediate impact rookies coming off a 7 interception season…after a season of bad safety play
      – Upgraded Peyton Barber (who had the lowest YPC of anyone in the NFL over 150 carries). Anytime he ran the ball was a waste of possession for our offense.

You don’t think these are “real” roster changes?

Adding unproven talent (draft picks), isn’t necessarily and upgrade. Besides, my point was that we were getting the love nationally before any of what you said happened. We shot up to a 12 to 1 odds to win the Super Bowl the same day Brady was signed. The following day there were tons of articles, by the national media, about the Bucs possibly being the first team to have the Super Bowl in their own stadium. The Tampa love fest started with Brady, not after Gronk and not after the draft.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Of course. Just by signing Brady, Bucs have won the offseason for not only on the field reasons but business reasons too.

Peyton Manning was absolute garbage his last season in Denver and they won the a super bowl. He fell off. Brady May be on the decline but he will be an upgrade over Winston (and I like Winston. Would have been upset with rivers or Bridgewater)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of course. Just by signing Brady, Bucs have won the offseason for not only on the field reasons but business reasons too.

Peyton Manning was absolute garbage his last season in Denver and they won the a super bowl. He fell off. Brady May be on the decline but he will be an upgrade over Winston (and I like Winston. Would have been upset with rivers or Bridgewater)

Yeah, Brady’s decline started to happen last season. If we win this season, it will be with damn solid D and moderate, efficient offensive play, with way more running. Retooling this offense is a big deal and requires lots of implementation time. Brady is not a fit for Arians offense as it existed last season.

• Donkey

Participant

Why you think it’s overhype? Gronk was brought in for one reason, he’s Brady’s guy. He trusts him to make plays. And if you have followed his career at all he delivers big time. He one of the best TE in NFL history.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Why you think it’s overhype? Gronk was brought in for one reason, he’s Brady’s guy. He trusts him to make plays. And if you have followed his career at all he delivers big time. He one of the best TE in NFL history.

I think a lot of people feel that Gronk is going to be a 70/900/8 guy. I’ve talked to many people who feel that way. I’ve also read a few fantasy write ups who are projecting that. My expectation is that Gronk will get half of that. If Gronk does get that, then I’m guessing that both Howard and Brate are going to combine for about 25/300/2. I don’t see that happening.

I think his biggest contribution will be in the run game. Remember, this system is new to Gronk too, not just Brady. Sure, he and Brady will be in sync with their mannerisms and things like that, but I don’t think that’s going to translate to NE type production. On top of that, I don’t think Gronk’s snap share will be high enough to generate those kinds of numbers.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Me too. Anyone who thought he was coming here is full of crap. Or an eternal optimist.

Any team that signed Brady was winning the offseason. Still in shock that he chose Tampa. Gave it about a .2 percent chance when the rumors came out. Just hope we can get back to the playoffs. Been too long..

• creamsicles

Participant

I think you may be understating how often receivers read the defense to impact their route tree. Gronk and Brady already see things the same way. If they click early, then the other players have more time to get on the same page.

I think a lot of people feel that Gronk is going to be a 70/900/8 guy. I’ve talked to many people who feel that way. I’ve also read a few fantasy write ups who are projecting that. My expectation is that Gronk will get half of that. If Gronk does get that, then I’m guessing that both Howard and Brate are going to combine for about 25/300/2. I don’t see that happening.

I think his biggest contribution will be in the run game. Remember, this system is new to Gronk too, not just Brady. Sure, he and Brady will be in sync with their mannerisms and things like that, but I don’t think that’s going to translate to NE type production. On top of that, I don’t think Gronk’s snap share will be high enough to generate those kinds of numbers.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

I think you may be understating how often receivers read the defense to impact their route tree. Gronk and Brady already see things the same way. If they click early, then the other players have more time to get on the same page.

Gronk missed an entire season. History tells us that when that happens, you get diminishing returns. Look at LeVeon Bell for example. Sure, you’ll say that he went to a lesser team, but I’ll respond with ‘yeah, but he’s also not had the injury/head issues that Gronk has had’. So in a sense, let’s call the extenuating circumstances a wash, the net result is, lesser return on investment. I think the fact that Gronk missed a full season and him being in sync with Brady the negative and positive that cancel each other out. In the end, he’s a 31 year old TE who’s had a bunch of injuries on a team with 2 other good TE’s and 2 elite WR’s.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gronk is Brady’s woobie. His #s in Arian’s offense will be modest at best.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

The bigger move for us was jettisoning that turd Winston.

It would still be a win if we signed no QB and went with Gabbert.

The definition of addition by subtraction.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

The bigger move for us was jettisoning that turd Winston.

It would still be a win if we signed no QB and went with Gabbert.

The definition of addition by subtraction.

I have a hard time disagreeing with this.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.