Viewing 115 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

The Buccaneers front office want to lock up Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy to a new deal as the team’s leading pass rusher is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik reached out to McCoy’s agent late last year but no progress was made.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9830

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pay da man!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is anyone else worried about this??..I mean, mark overspent for a lot of talent...and this was a guy that obviously needed to be paid, and was even HIS pick ..and even he could not get him signed.Now, we have licht, who seems more conservative (minus mj).Teams have lost good players over bad transitions of fo before. Hell, even fax machines pose a threat..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is anyone else worried about this??

nope!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nope!!

So, if he, and his agent, want AH money, ..you're sure lnl will back the brinks truck(s) up?These are the same guys who tossed revis, signed mj to too much, and flat out biotched about how much players contracts where when they walked in.Idk if they would do something dumb like that, to be honest.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

It makes me curious knowing that they have already tried to get something done with him in the past.  He said he was not holding out, with all of this going down now would it be an excuse to hold out now without totally looking like the bad guy here.  Of course we need to pay the man, but if they are asking like a 100 million dollar contract based off of a pretty good year followed by a good year, then they are asking for too much.  It cant be justified giving him that much money just based off of 2 years, in my opinion.  I think this year is a perfect situation to see if he is really worth a big contract.  See how well he plays then get things done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just get it done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nope!!

Me either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It makes me curious knowing that they have already tried to get something done with him in the past. 

He's waiting to see what Suh gets

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He needs to get a dollar more than Suh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won’t be cheaper next year after playing a year in a system which will feature him.  For the record a franchise tag for McCoy would cost the Bucs $15.8M. It's top 5 at position or 120% of previous year salary, whichever is greater.That is a ton of leverage for McCoy.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

McCoy is in the unique position that he is due for a long-term extension that will be a paycut according to market value , lol.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Here’s my concern.  I worry we pay him big, and he goes back to sucking again.  I don’t see the anger or hunger or passion Sapp, Brooks, or Lynch had.  I’m still not sold on this guy, he’s too up and down. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's my concern.  I worry we pay him big, and he goes back to sucking again.  I don't see the anger or hunger or passion Sapp, Brooks, or Lynch had.  I'm still not sold on this guy, he's too up and down.

When did he ever suck? He was injured, but since then he's been the best player on the team even in bad systems. I disagree with the lack of hunger too. I always think of McCoy being more in the mold of Favre or Ronde.  He plays because he loves the game. You get the same intensity every play as you do anyone else, but it comes with a smile after the whistle because he's not playing pissed off, he's enjoying what he does.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's my concern.  I worry we pay him big, and he goes back to sucking again.  I don't see the anger or hunger or passion Sapp, Brooks, or Lynch had.  I'm still not sold on this guy, he's too up and down.

Huh?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Soooooo……what else does McCoy need to show the doubters? Just curious.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how much he is looking for? Can’t be more per year than he made this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Absurd post. The guy was injured his first two years with freak bicep inj. both times. After that.. back to back pro bowls i think. The guy is a stud and a leader on this team.. the lack of hunger is even more absurd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Absurd post. The guy was injured his first two years with freak bicep inj. both times. After that.. back to back pro bowls i think. The guy is a stud and a leader on this team.. the lack of hunger is even more absurd.

Come on, bro. This is the Red Board. Don't you know that a draft pick getting injured means "bust"? Hell, look at the opinions on Doug Martin these days.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how much he is looking for? Can't be more per year than he made this year.

Do you expect him to take a pay cut?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how much he is looking for? Can't be more per year than he made this year.

I don't expect to pay a dt 13 mil a year. Don't get me wrong i like mccoy but i dont think he's had 13 sacks in his entire carreer with us. Look at what the rest of top dts get paid per year.  That said if we are good on the cap i dont care about the glaziers money as long as we can keep the guys we want to.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't expect to pay a dt 13 mil a year. Don't get me wrong i like mccoy but i dont think he's had 13 sacks in his entire carreer with us. Look at what the rest of top dts get paid per year.  That said if we are good on the cap i dont care about the glaziers money as long as we can keep the guys we want to.

We aren't talkin about the other DTs in the league, we're talkin about arguably THE #1 guy. FYI....Geno Atkins makes just under $11mil per.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We aren't talkin about the other DTs in the league, we're talkin about arguably THE #1 guy. FYI....Geno Atkins makes just under $11mil per.

He had an unbelievable season last year. He also has 90 tackles in four years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

are you saying Atkins is worth more than McCoy?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

are you saying Atkins is worth more than McCoy?

Yeah i do. It's close though but i would trade mccoy for atkins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cincinnati had leverage over Atkins, he had a cheap year left less than $1M and could be franchised for $9M.  So he signed a 5/55M, Bengals could have paid him 2/10M  which I’m sure was pointed out to his agent.  Bengals ended up giving him 3/45M more but kept the player happy, especially sense Atkins blew out his ACL in first year of deal.Because of the old CBA the Bucs have zero leverage with McCoy and his franchise tag will be at the cheapest 12.4M and more likely it would be 15M.  McCoys agent can say if you want to keep my guy it will cost you 15M guaranteed for one year let's start there...Leverage.  Such has even more leverage with Detroit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah i do. It's close though but i would trade mccoy for atkins.

Can't agree with that

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCoy is GOING TO GET MORE THAN Atkins.. write it down.  If not here, then somewhere else next year and thats NOT acceptable

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won't be cheaper next year after playing a year in a system which will feature him.  For the record a franchise tag for McCoy would cost the Bucs $15.8M. It's top 5 at position or 120% of previous year salary, whichever is greater.That is a ton of leverage for McCoy.

Conclusion is correct but the numbers not correct. The tag is based on previous year's salary which is defined in the CBA as yearly salary plus prorated bonus(es). Essentially the cap number of the previous year making the tag over $18 mil.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won't be cheaper next year after playing a year in a system which will feature him.  For the record a franchise tag for McCoy would cost the Bucs $15.8M. It's top 5 at position or 120% of previous year salary, whichever is greater.That is a ton of leverage for McCoy.

Conclusion is correct but the numbers not correct. The tag is based on previous year's salary which is defined in the CBA as yearly salary plus prorated bonus(es). Essentially the cap number of the previous year making the tag over $18 mil.

Good to know that was my fear it's going to be a slug fest to get that contract done...$18M is a ton of leverage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They will get it done. They will do what it takes. Licht seems like a reasonable guy. And if I was him, I would much rather deal with Dogra, than Suh and his agent, whoever that is these days. With the cap going up for the foreseeable future, they can pay him large and still have room to maneuver. Like when Lavonte comes calling.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Huh?

What part don't you understand?  For most of you, he stands out because we've had such an anemic defense for so long, that some flash gets many of you overly excited.  For others of you, you were not around to see Defensive Monsters like Selmon, Hardy, Brooks, Sapp. Lynch, so you have nothing to compare him to. Those men evoked fear.  Literal fear.I'm saying he's up and down.  He gets gassed easily.  He's an injury machine.  He does not evoke fear in opponents. I question if his motiviation is another pay day, when I don't think he earned his last one yet.  I'm not sold on him like so many of you are.  It would not surprise me to see him get this big pay extention, and completely drop off all his production gains lately.  He reminds me of a teddy bear. He just does not have that killer tenacity those men I mentioned above have.All that said though, the Bucs D does have a legit star, but his name is Levonte David, not Gerald McCoy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s going to be very hard to sign him. He is a top 2 UT in the NFL. He will be expecting more than Atkins got from CIN. 5 year $55 million. McCoy will be looking for $12 million and he will get it. He will be worth every penny. He was the best DT in the NFL last year by most accounts. I spent a bit of time researching McCoy before the draft and he was by far the best player that year IMO. He has always dominated. In high school and in college. Last year was just a taste of what is to come. Everyone knows it usually takes a DT 2 to 3 years to get NFL production. He is just now coming into his prime. 5 year $60 million? Sounds about right to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huh?

What part don't you understand?  For most of you, he stands out because we've had such an anemic defense for so long, that some flash gets many of you overly excited.  For others of you, you were not around to see Defensive Monsters like Selmon, Hardy, Brooks, Sapp. Lynch, so you have nothing to compare him to. Those men evoked fear.  Literal fear.I'm saying he's up and down.  He gets gassed easily.  He's an injury machine.  He does not evoke fear in opponents. I question if his motiviation is another pay day, when I don't think he earned his last one yet.  I'm not sold on him like so many of you are.  It would not surprise me to see him get this big pay extention, and completely drop off all his production gains lately.  He reminds me of a teddy bear. He just does not have that killer tenacity those men I mentioned above have.All that said though, the Bucs D does have a legit star, but his name is Levonte David, not Gerald McCoy.

....... wow

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCoy has all of the leverage. Smart play would have been to trade him before the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's going to be very hard to sign him. He is a top 2 UT in the NFL. He will be expecting more than Atkins got from CIN. 5 year $55 million. McCoy will be looking for $12 million and he will get it. He will be worth every penny. He was the best DT in the NFL last year by most accounts. I spent a bit of time researching McCoy before the draft and he was by far the best player that year IMO. He has always dominated. In high school and in college. Last year was just a taste of what is to come. Everyone knows it usually takes a DT 2 to 3 years to get NFL production. He is just now coming into his prime. 5 year $60 million? Sounds about right to me.

Sounds naive to me. He can make $40M just by playing two years under the franchise tag. Or if the Bucs don't tag him he gets to free agency and breaks the bank.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCoy has all of the leverage. Smart play would have been to trade him before the draft.

or better yet, draft a UT that could possibly replace him.  Need depth anyways.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BRILLIANT!!! Good teams are always trading away Pro Bowl players... ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good teams like the Bucs just cut their all pros and get nothing in return for them when they deem them too expensive.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs should sign him to a $200 million contract, pay him everything up front, and then trade him for five 1st round picks. If they don’t, they’re idiots and I’m right. I make more money than they do.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's going to be very hard to sign him. He is a top 2 UT in the NFL. He will be expecting more than Atkins got from CIN. 5 year $55 million. McCoy will be looking for $12 million and he will get it. He will be worth every penny. He was the best DT in the NFL last year by most accounts. I spent a bit of time researching McCoy before the draft and he was by far the best player that year IMO. He has always dominated. In high school and in college. Last year was just a taste of what is to come. Everyone knows it usually takes a DT 2 to 3 years to get NFL production. He is just now coming into his prime. 5 year $60 million? Sounds about right to me.

Sounds naive to me. He can make $40M just by playing two years under the franchise tag. Or if the Bucs don't tag him he gets to free agency and breaks the bank.

Atkins set the market at $11 million per. McCoy making $12 million per would be good compensation. The most I could see is just under $13 million average. Unless Mark Dominik gets back in the game then he may get $80 mil 5 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Atkins set the market at $11 million per. McCoy making $12 million per would be good compensation. The most I could see is just under $13 million average. Unless Mark Dominik gets back in the game then he may get $80 mil 5 years.

It was already explained to you, Atkins had no leverage. McCoy and Suh have the leverage to blow that "set market value" back to the stone age.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He never sucked, he got injured with the same injury on different sides two years in a row. He was good and got better every year outside of the injury.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs should sign him to a $200 million contract, pay him everything up front, and then trade him for five 1st round picks. If they don't, they're idiots and I'm right. I make more money than they do.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Top 3 rated defenses in the NFL last year were 4-3 teams and none have a superstar at UT.  Just saying.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bengals have Atkins but he was injured most of the year and they still finished 3rd. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because it’s all about coverage and edge pass rushing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because it's all about coverage and edge pass rushing.

You're going to be so mad when we back up the Brinks truck for him... again!!!!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Ever notice how edge rushers lose their effectiveness when you allow the QB to step up into the pocket? No, I don’t imagine you have figured that out yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t trade McCoy for Atkins, there’s just no way. Nor would I trade him for that turd in Detroit. McCoy is the best DT in the league as far as I’m concerned and as long as he doesn’t get Haynesworth money we really need to pay the man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ever notice how edge rushers lose their effectiveness when you allow the QB to step up into the pocket? No, I don't imagine you have figured that out yet.

Because it isn't true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're going to be so happy when gets two or three sacks while we blow out some dogchit team but ignore when he disappears when we really need him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you are right dt's never impact a game...GTFO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're going to be so happy when gets two or three sacks while we blow out some dogchit team but ignore when he disappears when we really need him.

Hopefully the next time we really need him the coach won't have him sprinting backwards or spying the QB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully the next time we really need him the coach won't have him sprinting backwards or spying the QB

LOL true

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ever notice how edge rushers lose their effectiveness when you allow the QB to step up into the pocket? No, I don't imagine you have figured that out yet.

Because it isn't true.

Saints invest heavy in G/C/G but not so much at tackle. Wonder why? Pressure up the middle bothers elite QB as they realize protection is by stepping up in the pocket.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My guess is 6/72-75M with half guaranteed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Personally I’d put Carolina and Seattle in the top 3 defenses from last year, and while neither of them had “premier” DTs they both got great pressure up the middle of their lines from very good DTs. Seattle wouldn’t have been the same without Bryant, McDonald and even Bennett coming up the middle and disrupting. Carolina with Star and Edwards as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because it isn't true.

Saints invest heavy in G/C/G but not so much at tackle. Wonder why? Pressure up the middle bothers elite QB as they realize protection is by stepping up in the pocket.

Funny how Brees doesn't have much trouble against us eventhough we have such a monster giving him pressure up the middle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was sacked 4 times, intercepted twice and posted a poor QBR against us in week 2. Sure they won but I wouldn’t say he didn’t have much trouble.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was sacked 4 times, intercepted twice and posted a poor QBR against us in week 2. Sure they won but I wouldn't say he didn't have much trouble.

And when the game was on the line he went 54 yards in 42 seconds. His total numbers vs us last 4 games103/153 (67.3%), 1387 yards (347 a game), 13 TDs, 3 INTs, 116.1 rating.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The claim here is that the DT position has a significant bearing on pass rush effectiveness, not that you can get by with third rate DEs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Claim on here is Buc fans trying to talk themselves into the idea that DT is an important position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well then I guess all the professional coaches and executives drafting guys like Donald, McCoy and Suh so high could learn a lot from you.Convincing yourself of something like this is all fine and dandy but it doesn't make it true or any less nonsensical.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s an important position and I have no issue with having the best player we can get there manning it but at the same time the evidence shows that you don’t need an elite one to be a successful defense.  One of two decent ones is all that it takes.  Ever since Sapp left we’ve had it In our minds we need a HoFer there.  Not necessary and I don’t know if paying McCoy $12-13 mil a year is the smartest allotment of our salary cap. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Claim on here is Buc fans trying to talk themselves into the idea that DT is an important position.

In our scheme, it's the most important defensive position. Your argument is essentially: the 2000/2002 Bucs would have been just as good defensively if we had any 3rd rounder (or perhaps even worse) instead of Sapp.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did Lovie have a an all pro UT with the Bears?  He had Tommie Harris for awhile but he was never at that elite level and injuries shortened his career.  The idea that it’s the most important position is stuck in the Tony Dungy era and just isn’t so.  I got nothing against McCoy and I won’t cry if we do resign him.  But even with him in his prime we were the 18th rank defense.  And that was with an all pro caliber LB and all pro caliber CB playing with him.  Edge rusher is more important.  Rice was more important to that 2002 team than Sapp was.  His best days were already behind him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was sacked 4 times, intercepted twice and posted a poor QBR against us in week 2. Sure they won but I wouldn't say he didn't have much trouble.

And when the game was on the line he went 54 yards in 42 seconds. His total numbers vs us last 4 games103/153 (67.3%), 1387 yards (347 a game), 13 TDs, 3 INTs, 116.1 rating.

So when Brees did the exact same thing to a stacked 49ers defense does that say something negative about Justin smith aldon smith, navarro bowman, patrick willis, and ahmad brooks?Your boy jj watt had that happen to him all season last year. . Should Houston trade him too?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did Lovie have a an all pro UT with the Bears?  He had Tommie Harris for awhile but he was never at that elite level and injuries shortened his career.  The idea that it's the most important position is stuck in the Tony Dungy era and just isn't so.  I got nothing against McCoy and I won't cry if we do resign him.  But even with him in his prime we were the 18th rank defense.  And that was with an all pro caliber LB and all pro caliber CB playing with him.  Edge rusher is more important.  Rice was more important to that 2002 team than Sapp was.  His best days were already behind him.

Harris was an all-pro and pro-bowler

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously, what player from our DLine, other than McCoy, can you say would start in at least half the other teams in the league? McCoy has been getting double teamed since he came into the league.But back to our system: OUR system is predicated on rushing and stopping the run with 4 players. In 2013, 80% of all run plays IN THE NFL were in between the tackles, and 54% were to the A gaps. So again, who's more important? An edge rusher that will see most of his use in pass rushing and containing and setting the edge, or a DT who will actually be responsible for stopping 80 percent of the runs and/or keeping OL off of LB's/S's and allow the pass rushers to even get to the QB by keeping him from stepping back into the pocket and away from pressure? You can move the pocket away from DE's, you can't move it away from DT's, the best you can do is send another player to help nullify McCoy, but then that frees up someone else. You can also run away from DE's easily, you can't run away from McCoy without forcing your runner to take a longer path to the outside or to a tilted NT who's sole purpose is literally to clog his side by forcing a double due to his line up (meaning again you have to go outside).Point is simple: It's harder to nullify an elite DT than an elite edge rusher that will line up in the same place every single down and has the exact same responsibility (4-3 1 gap).Source: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/olScroll all the way to the bottom.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Harris went to 3 pro bowls and at least one of those was based on name only.  He was always injured.  Including their Super Bowl run.  When healthy. A good player.  Never elite though IMO. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's an important position and I have no issue with having the best player we can get there manning it but at the same time the evidence shows that you don't need an elite one to be a successful defense.  One of two decent ones is all that it takes.  Ever since Sapp left we've had it In our minds we need a HoFer there.  Not necessary and I don't know if paying McCoy $12-13 mil a year is the smartest allotment of our salary cap.

You don't need any one position to have an elite defense. You need 2-3 elite players at any position, no more than 1-2 bad players, and good coaching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We had 3 elite players on defense last year in McCoy, David and Revis and maybe 2 bad starters  and we finished 18th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We had 3 elite players on defense last year in McCoy, David and Revis and maybe 2 bad starters  and we finished 18th.

Again, shows you how inept Schiano really was

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs last year had two of the worst starting defensive ends in the NFL and I'll call DTN the very worst in the entire league, a MLB and two safeties who can't cover a paper bag, a rookie #2 CB, and a bunch of practice squad caliber extra DBs. And the coach was Greg Schiano.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

You cats here are far too caught up in stats and titles.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only possible reason his salary might matter is if it was preventing us from paying someone else. The cap will be going up for the foreseeable future. Of course, someone who doesn't make much money in their life might be jealous. They would invent desperate reasons to demonize a young man headed towards a big pay day. They might even claim that they make lots of money, when in reality they don't, just to attempt a justification as to why their opinion matters so much.Glad we don't have anyone like that around here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only possible reason his salary might matter is if it was preventing us from paying someone else. The cap will be going up for the foreseeable future.

Exactly. The Seahawks just won the Super Bowl with Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice accounting for over $20 million of their salary cap.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only possible reason his salary might matter is if it was preventing us from paying someone else. The cap will be going up for the foreseeable future. Of course, someone who doesn't make much money in their life might be jealous. They would invent desperate reasons to demonize a young man headed towards a big pay day. They might even claim that they make lots of money, when in reality they don't, just to attempt a justification as to why their opinion matters so much.Glad we don't have anyone like that around here.

you've got that right!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It was already explained to you, Atkins had no leverage. McCoy and Suh have the leverage to blow that "set market value" back to the stone age.

Every player has leverage. Its called free agency. What do you think McCoy is going to get? $20 million per year?Mark? Mark Dominik? Is that you?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs last year had two of the worst starting defensive ends in the NFL and I'll call DTN the very worst in the entire league, a MLB and two safeties who can't cover a paper bag, a rookie #2 CB, and a bunch of practice squad caliber extra DBs. And the coach was Greg Schiano.

What you're trying to say is DEs and DBs mean more, much more, than DT and WLB.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Every player has leverage. Its called free agency. What do you think McCoy is going to get? $20 million per year?Mark? Mark Dominik? Is that you?

If he'd like to try  ,  I'd let his contract expire and then just franchise him . Paying him the franchise tender of the top 5  of his position will be a huge discount for us.So , yeah , thanks to the franchise tag , I don't see much leverage there for him .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he'd like to try ,  I'd let his contract expire and then just franchise him . Paying him the franchise tender of the top 5  of his position will be a huge discount for us.So , yeah , not much leverage there for him .

McCoy's franchise tag number in 2015 would be $18.7M. In 2016 it will be $22.5M. Everything has to be spelled out for you guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What you're trying to say is DEs and DBs mean more, much more, than DT and WLB.

Again, there's no set formula for having positions X, Y, and Z to have a great defense. The 2009 Jets were #1 in total defense and their top edge rusher was Calvin Pace and his 8 sacks. In 2010 the Chargers had the #1 total defense and their top corners were 31 year old Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason and they had one player on the roster with more than 6 sacks. The Steelers were #1 in 2011 and they've always skimped at corner. To reiterate, in order to have a really good to great defense, you need 2-3 elite players, no more than 1-2 bad players, and good coaching. The 2013 Bucs had 2 elite players, a bunch of bad players, and bad coaching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he'd like to try ,  I'd let his contract expire and then just franchise him . Paying him the franchise tender of the top 5  of his position will be a huge discount for us.So , yeah , not much leverage there for him .

McCoy's franchise tag number in 2015 would be $18.7M. In 2016 it will be $22.5M. Everything has to be spelled out for you guys.

Again, other than Mark Dominik who is going to ft him? He either signs the deal for $13 million per year or he plays hardball and hits free agency. Its that simple. The second he hits free agency his franchise number is zero. Its going to totally be up to him whether or not he wants to be a Buc.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You are correct on the numbers, but couldnt be more wrong about McCoy wanting to play for the franchise tag.  In case you hadnt been paying attention, this is a violent sport and a long term deal with more guaranteed money ALWAYS trumps playing for a one year deal at more money.Name me the last player who was happy about being tagged...go ahead, Ill wait...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Name me the last player who was happy about being tagged...go ahead, Ill wait...

GREG HARDYIt didn't take long for Panthers defensive Greg Hardy to sign his franchise tag tender for 2014. According to multiple reports, Hardy -- who was tagged last Friday -- already has signed his contract for 2014, which will pay him $13.116 million.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24467424/report-panthers-de-greg-hardy-signs-franchise-tag-tenderNICK FOLKOn his reaction when he received the franchise tag from the team...It was exciting. Anytime that could happen, it’s pretty exciting. Most of the time when you get a franchise tag, things tend to work out and you get a long-term deal. I think there was mutual interest there from both sides and we both wanted to get something done. I think they just wanted to make sure with all the frenzy that went on the first day of free agency that nothing crazy happened. They wanted to make sure that something would get done and I’m happy it did.http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/NICK-FOLK-Happy-the-Multiyear-Deal-Happened/982b7438-52de-499f-9cea-a6b111d3aacd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Name me the last player who was happy about being tagged...go ahead, Ill wait...

GREG HARDYIt didn't take long for Panthers defensive Greg Hardy to sign his franchise tag tender for 2014. According to multiple reports, Hardy -- who was tagged last Friday -- already has signed his contract for 2014, which will pay him $13.116 million.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24467424/report-panthers-de-greg-hardy-signs-franchise-tag-tenderNICK FOLKOn his reaction when he received the franchise tag from the team...It was exciting. Anytime that could happen, it’s pretty exciting. Most of the time when you get a franchise tag, things tend to work out and you get a long-term deal. I think there was mutual interest there from both sides and we both wanted to get something done. I think they just wanted to make sure with all the frenzy that went on the first day of free agency that nothing crazy happened. They wanted to make sure that something would get done and I’m happy it did.http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/NICK-FOLK-Happy-the-Multiyear-Deal-Happened/982b7438-52de-499f-9cea-a6b111d3aacd

Nice finds.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Hardy and the Panthers, meanwhile, reportedly will continue to negotiate a long-term deal. "The other is a kicker...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2009/02/the-reality-surrounding-the-franchise-tag/http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17607706/players-will-hate-it-but-tagging-them-twice-makes-good-business-sensehttp://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7809455/the-franchise-tag-tender-issue-nfl-starshttp://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/25/jimmy-graham-happy-possibility-franchise-tag/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ummm...JC5100 on line one...

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

If he wants more than Atkins I’d tell him to kick rocks. No offsense to him but Atkins is better. 11 mill is about right.Got to save money for Lavonte's deal also.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Posters can provide all the one line quips they can think of regarding the McCoy negotiations but Lovie has stated that the UT is of utmost importance to his defense and the Bucs didn’t draft a replacement possibility for McCoy. There is your answer as to whether the Bucs will sign him or not whatever the final numbers may look like.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is waiting for Suh to sign….relax….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now, I’m not saying they will or won’t sign him, but what I am saying is that mccoy wouldn’t be the first guy to ask for more than his fair share.Couple that with the fact even dom, who handed out a bunch of "highest paid for their position" type contracts, couldn't get him signed. To me, that says a lot.He has worked his ass off and has done what he could to be a leader for this team. If anyone on this team should be overpaid, it should be mccoy. However, lovie and licht might not feel the same.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is waiting for Suh to sign....relax....

You're comfortable with tagging McCoy for $18.7M while Suh has 5 teams bidding out of control for him in March?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're comfortable with tagging McCoy for $18.7M while Suh has 5 teams bidding out of control for him in March?

Just get it done.... pay the man!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JC you simply have not been paying attention. The effect the rookie cap has had is it has reset the market completely. Over the last few years this has been evident. So explain why a couple of nose tackles are going to suddenly change that? And if it is true as you say that NT's have little value then why would 5 teams be bidding out of control for Suh? Makes no sense.

Please wait…

• jamesh

Participant

This JC guy serious, or trolling?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JC you simply have not been paying attention. The effect the rookie cap has had is it has reset the market completely. Over the last few years this has been evident. So explain why a couple of nose tackles are going to suddenly change that?

Not sure what you're trying to say. If your point is rookies who got big contracts don't get big raises you're wrong because Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Matthew Stafford all got huge increases.

And if it is true as you say that NT's have little value then why would 5 teams be bidding out of control for Suh? Makes no sense.

Because teams are dumb. Especially when it comes to free agency.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Posters can provide all the one line quips they can think of regarding the McCoy negotiations but Lovie has stated that the UT is of utmost importance to his defense and the Bucs didn't draft a replacement possibility for McCoy. There is your answer as to whether the Bucs will sign him or not whatever the final numbers may look like.

This. McCoy is gonna make bank in TB. He's not going anywhere.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While his injury history is his history, he needs to be aware that these things have taken huge chunks out of his playing career, and he might want to get a nice and fair deal done asap.He gets one more big injury, it will officially label him as a Glass Joe, and it drives his value down significantly.  He is eager to sign, the agent wants his cut...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JC you simply have not been paying attention. The effect the rookie cap has had is it has reset the market completely. Over the last few years this has been evident. So explain why a couple of nose tackles are going to suddenly change that?

Not sure what you're trying to say. If your point is rookies who got big contracts don't get big raises you're wrong because Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Matthew Stafford all got huge increases.

And if it is true as you say that NT's have little value then why would 5 teams be bidding out of control for Suh? Makes no sense.

Because teams are dumb. Especially when it comes to free agency.

Free agents have not been getting what they were expecting in free agency. This is because the cheap rookie contracts which have reset the market. That is what I was trying to articulate.Teams are dumb I agree. Take the Bucs for example. They dont want to invest in the OL with draft choices and are then forced to pay out for big money free agents when their no draft plan fails. Now they are spending big money on old players instead of having better cheaper younger players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That cap number would not be very limiting for us.  It's well less difference from what we have been paying him then we'll get back with Nicks off the roster.  David gets Goldson's $.  Unless we start a reworked deal with Gerald, we'll have over 10 mil to carry over to 2015.  We'll be well under the 2015 cap as well.  I do believe Gerald's extension could be in the 17-19 mil average range.  Big guarantee, maybe first 3 seasons (including this one).  First 3 years around 15 mil average with 2/3 bigger cap hit seasons at the end.  A dressed up 3 year 45ish mil contract.  If we can't get something like that done I would take the tag.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wonder if they’d try to go with the vesting guarantee type of deal such as Richard Sherman signed.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Wonder if they'd try to go with the vesting guarantee type of deal such as Richard Sherman signed.

What's that ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCoy will get paid more that Atkins…its how contracts work.  He who signs first gets a little less.  Is anyone really convinced Flacco is better than Brees?  No.  Atkins got $11M a year, and both Suh and McCoy will get something similar with a slight bump around the $12-13M range with a little more guaranteed.  He is making $15M this year, so his cap hit will actually go down.  They aren’t going to give him a deal at $15M+ a year when he would be the highest paid at $12M.I love how JC claims DT is an unimportant position yet teams are going to fall all over themselves to give them QB money. 

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

There is a difference between the tackle positions UT is one of the most important , NT one of the least important.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is a difference between the tackle positions UT is one of the most important , NT one of the least important.

Agreed, but in some people's world, only QBs/WRs/DEs are worth big money.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love how JC claims DT is an unimportant position yet teams are going to fall all over themselves to give them QB money.

Just means they're wrong. Like how Fisher and Snead just sealed the deal that they'll never win anything in STL by drafting an OT at 2 and DT at 12 but everyone in the media is gushing over their draft.SF would have won atleast one super bowl, maybe even 3, if they didn't draft a freaking guard over Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lock him up for the rest of his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love how JC claims DT is an unimportant position yet teams are going to fall all over themselves to give them QB money.

Just means they're wrong. Like how Fisher and Snead just sealed the deal that they'll never win anything in STL by drafting an OT at 2 and DT at 12 but everyone in the media is gushing over their draft.SF would have won atleast one super bowl, maybe even 3, if they didn't draft a freaking guard over Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas.

Yes, because there's absolutely no way that YOU could be wrong?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hahahaha...your right...some hack behind a keyboard is smarter than two NFL franchises and everyone who thinks the Rams nailed it during the draftJust keep spouting layin these nuggets of your infinite wisdom on us...it makes for great comedy

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wonder if they'd try to go with the vesting guarantee type of deal such as Richard Sherman signed.

What's that ?

Sherman's deal is worth a lot of money but really only has his '14 salary guaranteed which was something over $12mil (salary plus bonus). After than his following year salary vests a couple of days after the Super Bowl if he's still on the roster. There was also one year in which the following year and about half the year after that are guaranteed if he's on the roster a couple of days after the Super Bowl.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Their OL was horrible. And you are saying that if they had drafted 2 WR's in the 2010 draft they would have won a SB but they drafted a 1st round WR in 2009 and in 2012. So they virtually did draft 2 1st round WR's within a 3 year span. Their problem is that their offense as a whole was terrible. Take notes JC because SF drafting the 2 1st round OL was textbook how to build an offense. When SF had all the injuries to their WR's they were still able to win games running the ball solely because of their great OL this padt year. If they had not made those investments they would have never had the resurgance on offense that they have had.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You truly are entertaining sometimes. Thank you.

Please wait…

Viewing 115 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.