Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• revfish

Participant

Awesome win, one that I did not see coming in any way, shape or form!First, we were able to pressure Brees a great deal more than we did Mariota.  Kudos to them all.  What we need to wait and see if this was because of a lot more disciplined play or if we do better against pocket passers than athletic, mobile quarterbacks.  It's certainly my hope that this it is the former.Second, even as the defense did 100% better in the pass, both Houston and New Orleans have been able to run the ball against us.  Having looked only at the game live, what I saw was that we were often in the right place but far too often we are looking to knock people down rather than wrap up and take them down.  It's/ time for Love and Leslie to go back to some fundamental tackling drills, which should not have to happen in the pros.We still can't catch a break.  Game was closer than it should have been.  The refs were atrocious, even as a couple of calls went our way, like the non-interference on our INT.  I don't get how in the world they called tripping on Hawley on the screen that would have given us a first down late.  Couldnt believe they picked up the picking penalty on the Saints TD even as Barber's comment on how the cornerback engaging the receiver changes things was helpful.  That shot to Winston's knees at the end of the half looked like a perfectly legal hit.  The shot to Brees' head ws  boneheaded play on our part on the final drive.  Even as Smith's offsides negated a turnover that would have ended the game, the good news was that the play took 15 seconds which made it almost impossible for New Orleans to win barring a miracle.  Finally, without blaming him, we need Winston to be able to complete that easy TD throw  to ASJ (I think) and the game has a completely different feel.  Those plays need to stop if we are going to take it up another level.  Finally, kudos to the "d" for standing tall when it mattered most.  They stopped the Saints for no points after a terrible turnover.  They force numerous fumbles even if they weren't all recovered.  And Banks deserves a game ball for a great stop on the two point conversion.Finally,

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oline played well. Decent run game and Winston had some time to throw on play action. I saw Marpet owning his man several times. Donovan Smith must be doing fairly well as I rarely hear his name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Second, even as the defense did 100% better in the pass, both Houston and New Orleans have been able to run the ball against us. 

Mostly a great post but I'd hold off until after next week to sayHouston has been able to run the ball against us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol…meant to say Tennessee. Nice catch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this was because of a lot more disciplined playHard to say the play was disciplined with 9-10 penalties.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree about the Saints being able to run on the defense. The Saints couldn’t run on us until we got up by 16 at which point, the defense was acting like it was expecting a pass on every down. At that point, it’s almost like the team realized it was ahead and started to play ‘not to lose’. That’s when tackling got sloppy and the Saint’s run game started up. The safety play was constantly deep defending against the possible deep ball.I honestly think the defense played the run well today up until then. Clearly, the defense needs to continue to play aggressive with a lead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this was because of a lot more disciplined playHard to say the play was disciplined with 9-10 penalties.

That sort of depends on the type of penalty but fair point

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree about the Saints being able to run on the defense. The Saints couldn't run on us until we got up by 16 at which point, the defense was acting like it was expecting a pass on every down. At that point, it's almost like the team realized it was ahead and started to play 'not to lose'. That's when tackling got sloppy and the Saint's run game started up. The safety play was constantly deep defending against the possible deep ball.I honestly think the defense played the run well today up until then. Clearly, the defense needs to continue to play aggressive with a lead.

That was a good point that I hadn't thought of...in the first half we hadn't given up much.  Did not have as much safety help.  Doesn't excuse the sloppy tackling later on but good feedback

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree about the Saints being able to run on the defense. The Saints couldn't run on us until we got up by 16 at which point, the defense was acting like it was expecting a pass on every down. At that point, it's almost like the team realized it was ahead and started to play 'not to lose'. That's when tackling got sloppy and the Saint's run game started up. The safety play was constantly deep defending against the possible deep ball.I honestly think the defense played the run well today up until then. Clearly, the defense needs to continue to play aggressive with a lead.

That was a good point that I hadn't thought of...in the first half we hadn't given up much.  Did not have as much safety help.  Doesn't excuse the sloppy tackling later on but good feedback

I didn't look super closely, but a lot of their better runs were where they spread us out and ran with Khiry Robinson. He's the only guy we really struggled tackling. I also thought they got away with several holds on some key plays (the Spiller 3rd down conversion late, the Ingram td...)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still too many penalties. Can’t get excited after a big play because, you never know if it’s gonna get called back. Team is not good enough to overcome that many penalties each week. The passive game plan once the Bucs got a lead is why I've never been a fan of the Lovie hire. Playing not to lose is not a good strategy against an agressive coach and qbThis defense while it played better is still deeply flawed. Middle of the field was open all day.Lot to be encouraged by as a fan, I just want to see some consistent performances now

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lots to clean up but a win is a win…is a win….onto the next!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree for the most part but I think the Saints would have had more success early if they led with Khiry instead of Ingram. Ingram did very little to us while Khiry consistently broke tackles and punished our DBs. Fortunately, I don't think we're playing many more RBs as physical as Khiry Robinson this season. Just glancing at the schedule I'd say that CAR, WAS, and of course NO may give us problems in this area down the road.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biggest thing was not giving up the big splash plays.  Say what you will about Lovie’s scheme, but if you can keep things in front of you and force teams to put together lengthy drives, they usually get a penalty or throw a bad pass, or do something that causes it to stall.  I agree that officiating was questionable.  There was one good non-call.  I know a lot of people thought Cooks was interfered with on that long pass, but if you underthrow the pass that much, and the defender has position, it can’t be interference if you have to try and go through the defender to the ball.  The quality of the pass matters on OPI calls, and the defender has the right to be on the field too.  A lot of sloppy and lazy refereeing in the NFL where they call that.  It is similar to when officials throw the flag if a players arm is on a guy’s back irregardless if it is affecting his ability to make the catch.  Bucs got conservative at the end there, but that makes sense.  Superdome is always a hard place to win, you don't want to risk turnovers that allow the Saints to get back into it.  By they way, the Saints spent a lot of money on the backfield, but Khiry Robinson is the best pure rusher they have.  If I were them, I would try to get him 20 carries a game, and let Ingram and Spiller be complimentary players/options in the passing game.  Brees could really benefit from not being in 3rd and long all the time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still too many penalties. Can't get excited after a big play because, you never know if it's gonna get called back. Team is not good enough to overcome that many penalties each week. The passive game plan once the Bucs got a lead is why I've never been a fan of the Lovie hire. Playing not to lose is not a good strategy against an agressive coach and qbThis defense while it played better is still deeply flawed. Middle of the field was open all day.Lot to be encouraged by as a fan, I just want to see some consistent performances now

I have mixed feelings on the play calls.  We have a rookie qb and we want the clock to run, on the one hand.  On the other hand, the Saints were giving us 10 man fronts that you are not going to be able to gain yards on and it also leaves one on one coverage that could open up some great 20 yard completions.  I was calling on us  to throw against it one first and second down, but had only 20 seconds rolled off on three plays people would be mad the other way.

Please wait…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.