Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

The 10 Worst Contract Situations in the NFC South By Michael Ward May 04, 2014 9:08 pm nicks_zps0df19d3b.jpgThe NFL salary cap, which this year stands at $133million makes free agency and contract negotiations all the more exciting, as managers look to bolster their team’s playoff aspirations without hindering their long term vision. Below is a list of the worst contracts in the NFC South which have left fans scratching their heads wondering how something so promising went so horribly wrong.10 – Drew Bress – Five years - $100 Million There is doubting Bress’ success at the highest level, he is after all the only quarterback in history to have multiple 5000 yard passing seasons. You do however, have to wonder if Bress, the NFL’s highest paid quarterback is hindering his team. With such significant money tied up in just one player it could be argued that the Saint’s front office lacks the funds to take the team from playoff regulars to serious championship contenders. 9 – Charles Johnson – Six years - $76 Million The Panther’s defensive end is scheduled to make a whopping $16.4 million in 2014. Johnson is no doubt central to riverboat Ron’s plans of creating a dominating defence and despite recording double digit sacks in three of the past four seasons you can’t help but think the money would be better off invested elsewhere. For example in a legitimate receiving target for quarterback Cam Newton.    8 – Dashon Goldson- Five years - $41.25 Million It is a good job Goldson makes the money he does as his aggressive style of play cost him nearly ½ a million in fines during the 2013 season. Goldson a two time Pro Bowler during his time with the 49ers failed to live up to expectations during 2013. Expect however Goldson to justify his $9 million salary in 2014 under the guidance of new head coach and defensive guru Lovie Smith. 7 – Zach Strief – Five years - $20 Million Stief arguably has one of the toughest jobs in football – protecting money man Drew Bress. The eight year veteran signed a new deal during the 2014 offseason, keeping him with the Saints until 2019. The 30 year old is the weak link in an otherwise good offensive line and it is hard to see his play improving especially as he pushes northwards of 30. 6 – Josh McCown – Two years - $10 Million McCown’s deal also includes an extra $5million in incentives which could see the veteran journey man’s contract be worth up to $15 million. The 34 year old had a career year filling in for the injured Jay Cutler. 2013 saw McCown pass for 1829 yards and 13 touchdowns with just 1 interception. It still remains to be seen if the career back up, who has appeared in just 13 games over the past four seasons can get the job done over the course of a full season. It would be safe to assume a significant drop off in McCown’s production. 5 – Matt Ryan – Five years - $103.75 Million Another $100 million man, Ryan who is electric in the regular season fails to get the job done when it really matters. Ryan has a career 1-4 playoff record, in those games he has passed for 9 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. Over $100 million is a lot to have invested in a player who it seems is incapable of getting the job done. With Ryan at the helm the Falcons can expect their championship drought to continue. 4 – Michael Johnson – Five years - $43.75 Million Johnson has yet to play a down in the NFC South, but already has one of the division’s worst contracts. The Bucs have vastly overpaid for Johnson’s services as they look to overhaul a disappointing defensive line. Johnson has only had 26.5 sacks in his five year career, with 11.5 of them coming in 2012. The contract looks even worse when compared with Jarred Allen’s four year - $32 million deal with the Chicago Bears. Although significantly older Allen is much more of a dominating force who will have at least five sacks more than Johnson in 2014. 3- Johnathan Stewart –Five years - $36.5 Million   The Panthers looked to form a deadly one – two punch when they locked up both Stewart and DeAngelo Williams to long term deals. Unfortunately both have failed to live up to expectations since agreeing to multi-million dollar deals. In 2013 Stewart managed 180 yards and failed to find the end zone. The Panthers hope Stewart’s form improves significantly as he is scheduled to make $13.15 million over the next two seasons.  2 – DeAngelo Williams – Five years - $43 Million Williams like Stewart has failed to deliver since agreeing to his blockbuster contract. He has failed to cross the 1000 yard barrier since 2009, mustering 843 yards in 2013. (His best season since agreeing to a new deal in 2011.) History has shown that Williams aged 31 is expected to decline, the Panthers hope this is not the case as he is scheduled to make $12 million over the next two seasons. This bad business means the Panthers have $25.15 million invested in two running backs who between them barely crossed the 1000 yard barrier in 2013. 1 – Carl Nicks – Five years - $47.5 Million When Nicks joined the Bucs in 2012 the two time Pro Bowler was considered one of the best guards in the league. Since joining however Nicks has been hampered by injuries, limiting him to just nine games over the past two years. The severity of the injury which ended Nicks season in 2013 means he is likely to experience pain every time he plays for the rest of his career. As a result questions must be asked as to how effective Nicks’ can be going forward. http://www.footballnation.com/content/the-10-worst-contract-situations-the-nfc-south/29330/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This list is pretty terrible. Brees is arguably the best QB in the league and they paid him accordingly. I’m sure he “hinders” his team by carrying them every season.Goldson we can all agree with but it goes on to say that he'll earn his money this season under Lovie, so why include him if this clairvoyant author knows he'll be worth it now?McCown hasn't played a down. We gave him bottom shelf starter money. If he's effective it's suddenly on the NFCS top ten best contracts.Michael Johnson may be overpaid but that is free agency. He's 5 years younger than Allen and could easily out produce him this year. Amateur sports blogging. That's not an insult, that's what it is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The article is correct.  They would have been smarter to sign Jared Allen than Johnson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This list is pretty terrible. Brees is arguably the best QB in the league and they paid him accordingly. I'm sure he "hinders" his team by carrying them every season.Goldson we can all agree with but it goes on to say that he'll earn his money this season under Lovie, so why include him if this clairvoyant author knows he'll be worth it now?McCown hasn't played a down. We gave him bottom shelf starter money. If he's effective it's suddenly on the NFCS top ten best contracts.Michael Johnson may be overpaid but that is free agency. He's 5 years younger than Allen and could easily out produce him this year. Amateur sports blogging. That's not an insult, that's what it is.

Brees is not in the mix as best QB. You're defending the Goldson contract, who's the amateur?Johnson being over-paid is why free agency doesn't work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees not in the mix for best qb? hahaha ok

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Brees is a wildly productive QB. By any measure yards, TD’s rating whatever you like he’s among the top 5 QB’s.Goldon's contract is a joke. We all know that. So is Nick's Stupid contracts for positions you should rarely give those sorts of deals and only then to special players which neither of them are.Johnson is overpaid for production in the past - but you pay for the future not the past which is why Allen's contract is less. Johnson is a guy who was disruptive last year and we expect to get more from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, thats pretty rough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

FA contract and the chemistry necessary to bring them in to the fold make signing them more stupidity and less science. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This list is f***ing stupid.  You dont look at the publicized numbers.  Anyone worth their salt will tell you the only thing that matters is guaranteed money.  Also, Im pretty sure 25+ teams would have no problem paying Drew Brees that amount. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Without factoring in guaranteed money this article is worse then worthless, it is actually deceiving.  I can’t believe anyone who covers the NFL could actually have such a poor understanding of how it’s salary cap operates.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson we can all agree with but it goes on to say that he'll earn his money this season under Lovie, so why include him if this clairvoyant author knows he'll be worth it now?

You're defending the Goldson contract, who's the amateur?

He's not defending Goldson's contract.  He agreed that it was a stupid contract, but then noted that the author made a derpy statement about how Goldson will earn his money this coming season.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

Thanks Marky Mark Dominick!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Drew Brees shouldn’t be on this list, period. He’s at worst a top four QB in the NFL and is worth the money he receives excelling at the most important position in the league.As for the Bucs, Josh McCown and Michael Johnson do not belong on this list. McCown's second year isn't even guaranteed and Johnson is young and talented enough to put up double digit sack numbers to justify his contract. If the Bucs didn't pay that money for his services, a team like Minnesota would have. Goldson and Nicks easily belong on the list, and you could argue that Goldson should replace Johnson at number four as that contract is brutal (and possibly cost the Bucs a shot at Jarius Byrd since Goldson is unmovable). Nicks is only number one because he has barely played since signing the monster deal. If he could get on the field he would drop down the list as those two ridiculous contracts given to Stewart/Williams rank among the very worst in the entire NFL. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This list is f***ing stupid.  You dont look at the publicized numbers.  Anyone worth their salt will tell you the only thing that matters is guaranteed money.  Also, Im pretty sure 25+ teams would have no problem paying Drew Brees that amount.

I'm pretty sure every contract on this list is bad from a guaranteed money standpoint, too. After all, if Carl Nicks, DeAngelo Williams, Johnathan Stewart, and Dashon Goldson had no guaranteed money, they'd be cut and no longer have a bad contract. No one would choose to pay them what they're due if they didn't have guaranteed money protecting them from getting cut. I can't believe Sam Baker isn't on this list. He's only had one good year his entire career and parlayed that into a 6-year $41 million deal with $14 million guaranteed and immediately went back to being the lousy injury-prone player he was every other year of his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nicks is robbing us blind. I would’ve fired that saint sympathizer the minute I would have walked in the door.It's by far the worst move LNL haven't made.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nicks is robbing us blind. I would've fired that saint sympathizer the minute I would have walked in the door.It's by far the worst move LNL haven't made.

If Im paying a guy regardless...then I would rather wait to see what (if anything) he has in camp. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nicks is robbing us blind. I would've fired that saint sympathizer the minute I would have walked in the door.It's by far the worst move LNL haven't made.

They can't - that's why the contract is considered a bad one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brees is not in the mix as best QB.

Uhhhh...what?  Not sure if serious.  Any other symptoms outside of delirium?  http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20030213/got-minute-you-could-diagnose-stroke

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lmao This guy is a hack.  There is MUCH more to a players contract then just looking at it from the surface.  It is all about guaranteed money and HOW THE CONTRACT IS STRUCTURED.Not to mention that he labels Nicks' contract as the worst and his reasoning being that he's injured. He also beats down his own argument for why he is ranked #1. He was considered, at the time, the best Guard in football and he was paid like it.The only one of ours that I can agree with at all is Goldson's contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They can't - that's why the contract is considered a bad one.

And they CAN tell him to leave and never be allowed into OBP or RJS.I would not allow that type of attitude to permeate through my locker room. Talent bedamned.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What? He’s working out and trying to get healthy – if that’s a negative attitude, I hope it spreads.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The negative attitude isn’t really negative.It's his unwillingness to do what needs to be done to get back on the field. He's now out of shape and still has a bad toe, after YEARS of "recuperation."...Like we really need anymore players thinking they can stub their toe, stay safe, and collect a paycheck? Screw that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The negative attitude isn't really negative.It's his unwillingness to do what needs to be done to get back on the field. He's now out of shape and still has a bad toe, after YEARS of "recuperation."...Like we really need anymore players thinking they can stub their toe, stay safe, and collect a paycheck? Screw that.

I think your perception of what is wrong with Nick's toe is way out of whack with the reality of what happened to him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You have zero idea whats going on behind the scenes benchwarmer….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think this could be Goldsons last season here.  IIRC, they couldn’t send him packing this year because of the contract, but it won’t be as painful cap wise after this season is completed.  Unless of course, the light comes on for him, and he see’s the NFL has changed, and headhunting is a no-no.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to mention that he labels Nicks' contract as the worst and his reasoning being that he's injured. He also beats down his own argument for why he is ranked #1. He was considered, at the time, the best Guard in football and he was paid like it.

Every GM thinks the contracts he gives out are going to turn out great when he writes them. I'm sure Marty Hurney thought the contract he gave DeAngelo Williams was going to turn out great at the time, too. But what really matters is what actually happens after the contract was signed, not what you thought was going to happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think this could be Goldsons last season here.  IIRC, they couldn't send him packing this year because of the contract, but it won't be as painful cap wise after this season is completed.  Unless of course, the light comes on for him, and he see's the NFL has changed, and headhunting is a no-no.

He makes too much money regardless of the rules. He's in his last year as a Buc.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson should be much higher.Not sure why McCown is on the list. His contract is relatively reasonable.Brees? lolJohnson is overpaid, but that was the market for DEs his age or younger. Should be at the back end of this list.What about Sam Baker?What about Colston and what he has remaining on his deal?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two things I’ve gathered in this thread.Lucklarry is Java. 100% sureJc510 is smoking dope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The negative attitude isn't really negative.It's his unwillingness to do what needs to be done to get back on the field. He's now out of shape and still has a bad toe, after YEARS of "recuperation."...Like we really need anymore players thinking they can stub their toe, stay safe, and collect a paycheck? Screw that.

I think your perception of what is wrong with Nick's toe is way out of whack with the reality of what happened to him.

Agree.  A stubbed toe?  He is lucky he still has a foot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was being sarcastic with the stubbed toe remark, I hope you know that.But if anyone wants to bet with me that he'll play three games and be done again, I'm here to bet with..

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.