Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• bveghte

Participant

PR, it is looking more and more like the best value at Nr. 7 in Rd. 1 will be an OT, such as Jake Mathews or Taylor Lewan. My question is actually larger than the one in the subject line of this thread. Could either Mathews, Lewan, or Dotson play guard for a couple years before moving (back) to tackle?I realize Anthony Collins can play guard, but I don't think the Jason Licht gave him that huge contract to play guard, and I suspect they even promised him he would play LT in order to lure him here (he had many offers). So is it plausible that the Bucs might draft an OT at Nr. 7, and find a way to start Collins, Dotson and Mathews, Robinson or Lewan all at the same time for a couple years until one of the three retires/gets injured/leaves in free agency?If so, I think this would be much better value than taking a relatively slow (and hence probably not a long-term Nr. 1) wide receiver at Nr. 7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good question, bve.  I believe SR was asked in the chat today if Jake Matthews could be moved to guard temporarily and then answered in the affirmative.  Matthews, Lewan, Dotson seem a bit too tall to play guard in a speed oriented offense, but what do I know?  SR also mentioned , my long shot favorite Buc from last summer, Jace Daniels.  SR stated, in his opinion, Daniels is better than Ted Larson.  If that's true,  Daniels might be starting some time this season somewhere on the line because of his versatility.  He is "mobile", imo and isn't that what Tedford wants?  Maybe I don't know what he wants, but I'm assuming he wants his Olinemen, especially the guards, to be fleet of foot.  Regardless, I'm all for drafting a Guard, no later than round 3.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sweep, didn’t read the chat but thought I remember that Daniels was playing C at mini-camp. He played C in HS. bveghte - Dotson is way too tall I think for a guard, and not thick enough probably either. It's much more of a leverage game there and the things that make him useful as a tackle (long arms/good feet) aren't necessarily the main attributes you need in a tackle. I think those tackles are definitely in play. A lot of indications out there that Matthews can play anywhere (Jeff Fisher said he could play 5 spots). Lewan is another taller guy so I'd say it's unlikely. Remember though, Dotson is on a favorable contract, and if there's a gap in value after the OTs, I could see them considering one of the OTs - Dotson would be an affordable swing backup (right now it's Meredith - excited about that?)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way would I be happy with taking a guard at #7. This team is not in position to speed that kinda pick on that position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucman, I think were all talking about the guy being a guard for maybe a year, but ultimately being a tackle.  I agree – don’t want a pure guard at 7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucman, I think were all talking about the guy being a guard for maybe a year, but ultimately being a tackle.  I agree - don't want a pure guard at 7.

Who will they replace? We already have out tackles on the team and theyre younger guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Two tackles with no backups iirc

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We have a couple of backups on the roster atm. Jace Daniels and Emmett Cleary

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And which of those two would be first up to play OT – either side – and give anyone some confidence that the risk to the qb had just increased dramatically?  We can hope, but I think perhaps some additional improvement would be in order

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are five good reasons to draft Mathews or Robinson if they are there at 7:1. Positional value as well as BPA. They are both better than Evans IMO, and Tackles is MUCH more important to a team's success than WR, especially a not-fast WR.2. Character. Mathews has exceptional blood lines and is a blue collar guy who works hard, studies film, has great technique. He will play for 10+ years. Evans is a hothead and will be too slow to be a Nr. 1 WR in 5 years. He might even be too slow now.3. Dotson will be 29 in October, Collins will be 29 in November. Matthews turned 22 2 months ago. 4. Sooner or later Collins or Dotson will get injured, and we will need a third starting quality tackle.5. We could EASILY (because of his talent level and cheap contract) trade Dotson for a high pick if we wanted to, but we shouldn't want to. We could play Mathews at Guard for a couple years and if Collins or Dotson got injured move him out to tackle. Gives us ultimate flexibility on our OL for many years to come.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it is important to improve the depth at OT but in the later rounds.  No doubt OT is more important than WR but not if you already have your two starting tackles.  As to Evans speed, 4.53 is actually pretty fast for a big reciever.  Not fast enough to be a #1 recevier?  How fast do you think Vincent Jackson is?In reality, I believe we SHOULD trade down but we need to come out of the draft or the "2nd FA period" with a top WR, a solid starting G AND a solid backup OT.  There are other needs of course.  This certainly isn't complete list of needs, just ones I think MUST be filled.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucjoe, Vincent Jackson ran a 4.46 at the combine (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=54172&draftyear=2005&genpos=WR), so he was noticeably faster than Evans coming out of college. And five years from now, Evans will be slower than he is today.I agree that we need a backup tackle, but I still think you go BPA when you pick this high in the draft, combined with positional value. I would be happy if we took a QB, a pass rusher (Aaron Donald), or an OT at Nr. 7. Only a superstar receiver is worth taking at Nr. 7, because the positional value is much lower. I agree trading down is the best solution, as I would be OK with taking a WR at 15, say. But not at Nr. 7 unless it's Watkins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, now way would I take an OT at 7 in this draft unless it is Greg Robinson.  IMO, he could be a devastating G until moved to OT but I don’t believe Matthews or LeWann would be as I believe they are too tall.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, Dotson is not a guard nor at 29 should we try him there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree but it has nothing to do with his age.  He is 6’9″.  He doesn’t have the balance for it, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way Dotson is guard material. Way too tall and very slim base. No read end at all. And Daniels was playing center at mini-camp as a backup. Great kid, but one member of the previous regime was not high on Daniels, but they are no longer here. Keep an eye on Omameh. To me he is a real sleeper at guard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way Dotson is guard material. Way too tall and very slim base. No read end at all. And Daniels was playing center at mini-camp as a backup. Great kid, but one member of the previous regime was not high on Daniels, but they are no longer here. Keep an eye on Omameh. To me he is a real sleeper at guard.

Omameh did get a great write up here when he came out of college: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/patrick-omameh?id=2539259. They seem to agree he could be a decent starter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting - he's a guy I've spent some time researching this offseason. Jim Harbough took snaps from him days before the draft (they grabbed him as a ufa), but of course there was a log-jam on the 49ers. Can't wait to see him during preseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We have a couple of backups on the roster atm. Jace Daniels and Emmett Cleary

Based on what I've read, not sure Daniels is a tackle anymore.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are five good reasons to draft Mathews or Robinson if they are there at 7:1. Positional value as well as BPA. They are both better than Evans IMO, and Tackles is MUCH more important to a team's success than WR, especially a not-fast WR.2. Character. Mathews has exceptional blood lines and is a blue collar guy who works hard, studies film, has great technique. He will play for 10+ years. Evans is a hothead and will be too slow to be a Nr. 1 WR in 5 years. He might even be too slow now.3. Dotson will be 29 in October, Collins will be 29 in November. Matthews turned 22 2 months ago. 4. Sooner or later Collins or Dotson will get injured, and we will need a third starting quality tackle.5. We could EASILY (because of his talent level and cheap contract) trade Dotson for a high pick if we wanted to, but we shouldn't want to. We could play Mathews at Guard for a couple years and if Collins or Dotson got injured move him out to tackle. Gives us ultimate flexibility on our OL for many years to come.

I'm with bveghte on a lot of this stuff. Heck, we've seen what happens when we've had injuries on the OL - anybody excited about Jamon Meredith coming in to play T? Here's a great story I heard a few days ago on Path to the Draft. In the 1993 draft, the Skins (according to Casserly) didn't feel like they had a need for an OL. They had a first round grade on Will Shields - 12 time Pro Bowler, 2 time All-Pro. In round 3, he was on the board for them twice. They passed him twice (took a LB and P, neither of whom made a mark). Ouch. And here's the thing about "need" - he didn't mention it, but guess what happened the following year? They had a massive need across the board at OL, and used a first and third on OL who weren't all that good. As Licht has said - sometimes your needs on draft day are different than they are in September. Now of course, it's different at pick 7, because the grades are more likely to be close. But I hope the Bucs have at least strongly considered these guys (Robinson, Matthews, Lewan).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker, great story. Really underscores the importance of picking BPA.

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.