Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• Mizer

Participant

2 years ago, we got a new coach and gm.  The bucs had what was considered a legit starter at RB who many thought was going to be a good running back in this league.  we also had some other guys…our new coach, then moved up into the first round and picked a guy who was very similar to a guy he coached and liked from his prior job.we all applauded.Now,we got a new coach and gm.  The bucs have what is considered a legit starter at RB who many think is going to be a good running back in this league.  we also have a guy we picked in the 6th round and some guy we got off of the streets.our new coach, in the 3RD ROUND picked a guy who is very similar to a guy he coached and liked from his prior job.and somehow we are very angry.2 VERY similar situations.2 VERY different reactions....just some perspective.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Difference being Blount was a one -dimensional, undrafted head case and Martin is a 1st rounder who set records.  I was at the Oakland game which was the best RB performance I’ve ever seen live by a mile so I like Martin.  That being said Sims can carve himself out a nice role in this offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

…. but but but, we didn’t take a G :'( :'(….     Even tho' according to PR the G's, available were not considered athletic enough for Tedford's system. I'll trust in their evaluation; if Tedford likes Sims, I'm good with it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see Sims as a much more explosive Brian Leonard. Cover him with a LB like they could with Leonard, Sims will be sayin’ SEEYA!

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

to me this guy is a better all around back(or player in general) than anything on our roster now, yes including martin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really not much of a runner. He’s almost in the Dexter McCluster category where he’s gonna be a pass catcher and split player and not a dude you want to hand the ball to.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really not much of a runner. He's almost in the Dexter McCluster category where he's gonna be a pass catcher and split player and not a dude you want to hand the ball to.

I didn’t see that at all. I saw a guy who is a very good ball carrier. Hes absolutely nothing like Mccluster. Hes like a Forte-McCoy hybrid

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the staff felt he was the best player available, more power to them.  I like the pick, people say that RB wasn't a need, but we did need a playmaker with speed.I admit, I was shocked with the pick, but I totally get it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sims isnt gonna be a guy you will confident putting a linebacker on, hes gonna be our sproles, shady, reggie whoever you can think of that was dangerous in the flats

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really not much of a runner. He's almost in the Dexter McCluster category where he's gonna be a pass catcher and split player and not a dude you want to hand the ball to.

You just pretty much pull everything you post directly out of your ass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Durability might be a concern, so I’d think he starts out as a situational back. I thought Mike James looked better than Martin last season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would’ve liked to have seen them draft a qb in the third, if not the first.However, Evans is a beast, and will ease vj's eventual departure. Any draft with him included should be at least a B Grade, so if they choose to double down on a position, instead of going need-first, that's alright with me.Sims was a hire of need in a way though. The way lovie has drafted dictates so. So far, lnl have drafted players, who not only know their position, but how to block. Running will be a main theme, so they're making sure everyone can. One thing you can be sure of with lovie, he's all about the fundamentals of the game. Guys with those skills will be added for sure.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

I like Martin, but to me im cautious about his situation.  Its unfolding almost just like a carnell Williams situation.  They both had the breakout games against the Vikings as a rookie, and in the second year got hurt.  Martin did not do much of anything, until he started coming strong during his rookie season, and that Oakland game made up a good fraction of his rushing stats for that year…lol.  In Martin’s 2nd year, lets be honest the guy was not doing much of anything at all before he got hurt.  The only thing I see that Charles has that martin don’t is top end speed and more of a threat as a WR.  Other than that Charles does everything just as well as Doug does.  I like Martin and I hope he does well this year, at the same time I really like Charles, I don’t care if he runs upright long as he gets the job done.  Just my opinion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the Forte-McCoy hybrid comparison. Sims looks far more explosive and shifty than Forte but bigger than Shady.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't see that at all. I saw a guy who is a very good ball carrier. Hes absolutely nothing like Mccluster. Hes like a Forte-McCoy hybrid

Where in your imagination?  He has poor vision and goes down on first contact.  He catches the ball well and that is really his strength. Forte and McCoy Christ do you people even bother to think or just immediately project every draftee to be a star?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy is running post routes in some of those highlights. That’s pretty impressive imo. I was hoping for a OL but I think this guy could be a weapon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't see that at all. I saw a guy who is a very good ball carrier. Hes absolutely nothing like Mccluster. Hes like a Forte-McCoy hybrid

Where in your imagination?  He has poor vision and goes down on first contact.  He catches the ball well and that is really his strength. Forte and McCoy Christ do you people even bother to think or just immediately project every draftee to be a star?

I was talking about running styles and both Forte and McCoy were second rounders so its not like they were gods coming out of college either. And he really does run like Forte though, I don't know why this bothers you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was talking about running styles and both Forte and McCoy were second rounders so its not like they were gods coming out of college either. And he really does run like Forte though, I don't know why this bothers you.

I agree with Dal. I really dislike the pick and it's a common tactic with glass half full posters to make comparisons to established stars. If you think he runs like Forte, that's fine, but to me he looks like Julius Jones as a runner. He is a very good receiver however but people have somehow already forgotten that Martin and James are above average receivers already. Martin is a star that had an unfortunate injury. James is a solid player that could easily be a starter. Rainey is a solid 3rd back and then there's Demps who is a bonus. Sims just isn't a significant upgrade on our roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good post OP.I am thinking along those lines as well. Doug started off slow as a rookie and ended up having a few great games but I have never been sold on him. Last year he was awful. He was injured trying to block, injured trying to run a wheel route and had hands like stone. Add in the fact that all 3 of our midget runners got injured last year and you can see why they made this desperation pick. I was mocking Carlos Hyde in the 3rd but only if we traded back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with Dal. I really dislike the pick and it's a common tactic with glass half full posters to make comparisons to established stars. If you think he runs like Forte, that's fine, but to me he looks like Julius Jones as a runner. He is a very good receiver however but people have somehow already forgotten that Martin and James are above average receivers already. Martin is a star that had an unfortunate injury. James is a solid player that could easily be a starter. Rainey is a solid 3rd back and then there's Demps who is a bonus. Sims just isn't a significant upgrade on our roster.

It is "his" bellcow.Lovie is a run heavy dude.  Tedford has found ways to run the ball well.  They just needed "their" guy.  Ego all the way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Mike James but he is a 7th round pick whos had one good game in his entire career, and had one of the worst highlight tapes coming out of college I had ever seen. Yet he can easily start? After 1 game? Sims coming out of college blows James and Rainey out of the water. I also like Doug Martin but what makes him a star? In case you weren’t watching he was horrible last year.I personally think Sims could beat out Martin. Key word could.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Charles has a second gear and quick acceleration that is pretty impressive.  Soft hands and catches the ball away from his body.For a high cut guy, his balance is well above average.He is a Forte like guy, probably going to have similar injury concerns in the NFL - but Damn if he won't be effective used appropriately.Excellent complement to the Martin/Rainey/James threesome.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think that both Martin, the bell cow and Sims will get on the field for plenty of reps and sometimes both at the same time. Each offers a different skill set. I do believe that Tedford has weapons and with his playbook, it could be exciting

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Rainey is a gonner.  Lovie said on the radio that he wants backs with different skill sets and that is why they got simms.  def. doesn’t look good for rainey.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d think with James late injury he’s closer to the cut.    But that’s what training camp is for…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

damn man, he’s only got 1 m in his name

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see Sims as a much more explosive Brian Leonard. Cover him with a LB like they could with Leonard, Sims will be sayin' SEEYA!

Damn that's kind of insulting lol. Brian Leonard had one move as a running back: sprint in a straight line.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.