Viewing 50 reply threads

• Author

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000350019/article/nfc-south-draft-grades-brandin-cooks-fits-new-orleans-saintsHaters b!tching in 3, 2, 1...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol already argued with a guy who tried telling me sims was like a dexter mccluster or a Julius jones lol what??? some people just don’t get it

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really like the Sims pick. I do hate that the Saints got Brandin Cooks. Scary.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really like the Sims pick. I do hate that the Saints got Brandin Cooks. Scary.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Finally got Steve Smith out of our division and now comes Cooks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sims is going to be a very good, very well rounded player.  Sure hope Dougie learns how to catch this offseason because his hands look just terrible his first two seasons. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

People who think we wasted a pick on a back up running back are haters?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh well since Bucky Brooks thinks so….The guy is a Buc now so I hope he performs well. He's got a nice skillset as a receiver and Tedford wanted him so it's obvious they'll get him involved. That having been said, I'll repeat and repeat and repeat: Martin and James are both good receivers already, Martin in particular. We already had 4 RBs that I'm very interested in seeing this year. It's our only "loaded" position. We have a huge hole at guard, likely at both. We have a paper thin D-line and we need at least another legitimate corner. It was a luxury pick, and luxury picks aren't a good idea for a 4 win team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sims is going to be a very good, very well rounded player.  Sure hope Dougie learns how to catch this offseason because his hands look just terrible his first two seasons.

Where is this coming from? Cadillac is an example of a player with bad hands (who then turned it into one of his strengths if you remember). Martin had almost 50 receptions as a rookie. He has above average hands for the position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where is this coming from? Cadillac is an example of a player with bad hands (who then turned it into one of his strengths if you remember). Martin had almost 50 receptions as a rookie. He has above average hands for the position.

And also led the league in drops by a RB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With the particularly accurate Josh Freeman and tons of targets. Anyone who has seen Martin catch the ball regularly knows he has sure hands. Many of his biggest plays as a rookie were catching the football on screens and out routes

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With the particularly accurate Josh Freeman and tons of targets. Anyone who has seen Martin catch the ball regularly knows he has sure hands. Many of his biggest plays as a rookie were catching the football on screens and out routes

I don’t know, I used to think he had good hands too but then I saw him drop a ton of passes right in his bread basket. Hes got a really good style for receiving but his actual hands are average.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know, I used to think he had good hands too but then I saw him drop a ton of passes right in his bread basket. Hes got a really good style for receiving but his actual hands are average.

Anybody who has actually watched him play knows his hands aren't as good as advertised and he dropped a lot of easy catches. Lets not try to blame this on Freeman lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Particularly last year Martin was terrible trying to catch the ball out of the backfield. He was a big time drive killer last year before he got hurt. Just like 75% of his rookie season. In two years he has had about 4 stellar games and the rest have been below average. We definitely needed another RB. Another thing I keep bringing up is that all 3 of our sub 6'  RB's got injured last year. How can you say we are all set with 3 one dimensional RB's who are injury prone?I am glad we got another RB. My only concern is that OG position.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Herron is a major sleeper . He could be almost as good as the Saint’s Cooks . Kid was killing it at the Senior Bowl.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-p8u6GJvsShould have been a 3rd rounder. I have no clue what he was doing there in round 6 . I'll take it .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixs0NQNIu6E

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Herron is a major sleeper . He could be almost as good as the Saint's Cooks . Kid was killing it at the Senior Bowl.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-p8u6GJvsShould have been a 3rd rounder. I have no clue what he was doing there in round 6 . I'll take it .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixs0NQNIu6E

Short arms, doesn't like contact, doesn't extend for the ball, and catches the ball too close to his chest outside of that everything else looks legit

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Herron is a major sleeper . He could be almost as good as the Saint's Cooks . Kid was killing it at the Senior Bowl.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-p8u6GJvsShould have been a 3rd rounder. I have no clue what he was doing there in round 6 . I'll take it .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixs0NQNIu6E

You right!He is my sleeper pick..By looking at his highlights and watched the Senior Bowl...This kid was getting open fast, but Tajh Boyd was late and under threw him during the game..DBs was having hard time covering him .I think Tedford going to use him a lot..and it would not surprise me, if this kid has a better season then Mike Evans this year

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man, Im glad we didnt take any of those corners in those videos.  Toast!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they might have been required to be on the line of scrimmage with no over top support = WR wins 95% of the timestill sharp route running

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they might have been required to be on the line of scrimmage with no over top support = WR wins 95% of the timestill sharp route running

I was referring to just plain off the line.  First guy was the only one to even touch him and that was a closeline and a hold.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does anyone else feel as if they’re going to use him at FB or as a swing wideout/te?Because it's not like it can't be done, but I just don't understand the pick and am looking for reasons outside of trading away our already stocked rb core. RB's are important in a lovie ran team, so I doubt they trade.There HAS to be more to this than, "we spent a third on an rb." ..It can't possibly be that simpleminded, could it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thats all good and whatever, but can I just say, Bucky Brooks is hands down one of the worst sports journalists today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much better runner…look at the stats.  Sims was not exactly lighting it up on the ground.  Receiver?  Sure…who wasn’t at Houston.  System guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much better runner...look at the stats. 

this is a great statement.I think he will be motioned out and run actual WR routes.  He ran some post routes at Houston and looked good at going into the middle.  While I don't think he is the same player, I think we can use him as an option like the rams used Faulk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this is a great statement.I think he will be motioned out and run actual WR routes.  He ran some post routes at Houston and looked good at going into the middle.  While I don't think he is the same player, I think we can use him as an option like the rams used Faulk.

3rd down back...he's not a 1st or 2nd down back no matter what the Sim-ophites say.  The numbers don't back it up.  Great hands...below or average runner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cooks definitely has speed. But he is more than that. He is tough and is friggin surgical on his routes. The Steve Smith comparisons are legit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Particularly last year Martin was terrible trying to catch the ball out of the backfield. He was a big time drive killer last year before he got hurt. Just like 75% of his rookie season. In two years he has had about 4 stellar games and the rest have been below average. We definitely needed another RB. Another thing I keep bringing up is that all 3 of our sub 6'  RB's got injured last year. How can you say we are all set with 3 one dimensional RB's who are injury prone?I am glad we got another RB. My only concern is that OG position.

Tre Mason would’ve been better doe.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3rd down back...he's not a 1st or 2nd down back no matter what the Sim-ophites say.  The numbers don't back it up.  Great hands...below or average runner.

He will be used more Sproles like than Faulk who was an all purpose back., the demented folks who think he looks like Forte or McCoy are, well, demented. He's a pass catching guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He will be used more Sproles like than Faulk who was an all purpose back., the demented folks who think he looks like Forte or McCoy are, well, demented. He's a pass catching guy.

5.3 ypc last year yet the guy can run the ball lol ok  ::) granted that isn’t what its going to be in the NFL but the dude is good on the ground as well. I wasn’t saying hes the next Forte or McCoy but he runs similar to them. Forte had a 5.9 his last year in college and McCoy had a 4.8…. Both second round guysWe have no idea how hes going to be used... everybody keeps seeing him as a receiver I see him as a possible everydown runningback, im not getting where its coming from

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah if college YPC meant anything Trent Richardson wouldn’t be a flop.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah if college YPC meant anything Trent Richardson wouldn't be a flop.

Yeah YPC really doesn’t mean much, and im sure you’ve watched him run on tape but as far as what im seeing I see a good runner. He meets the eye test if that means anything. I guess we will see. I just don’t know how your ruling him out already as a possible every down back. I keep hearing about lack of vision but im not seeing it

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nobody knew who Matt Forte was coming out of Tulane. He’s going to be a monster in this offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In two years he has had about 4 stellar games and the rest have been below average. We definitely needed another RB. Another thing I keep bringing up is that all 3 of our sub 6'  RB's got injured last year. How can you say we are all set with 3 one dimensional RB's who are injury prone?I am glad we got another RB. My only concern is that OG position.

I don't understand the reference to their height. Do you think shorter RBs get hurt more or something? And Sims won't because he meets the magic 6 foot mark?Also calling Martin and James one dimensional is ignorant. We've seen them both catch the ball, they're both excellent pass blockers, and they're both good runners. They're the opposite of one dimensional. Rainey is a clearly more of a runner but isn't an awful receiver either. Now labeling them injury prone is even more interesting. Martin and James have one fluky injury each and Rainey was never even injured. I too am concerned about the OG position. In the third round we chose between adding a RB and adding a guard. I think we chose poorly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sims is a much better receiver than any of the Bucs current RBs. He can catch the ball anywhere on the field which none of the other RBs can do. He presents a different dynamic to the offense because of what the defense has to account for when he is on the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In two years he has had about 4 stellar games and the rest have been below average. We definitely needed another RB. Another thing I keep bringing up is that all 3 of our sub 6'  RB's got injured last year. How can you say we are all set with 3 one dimensional RB's who are injury prone?I am glad we got another RB. My only concern is that OG position.

I don't understand the reference to their height. Do you think shorter RBs get hurt more or something? And Sims won't because he meets the magic 6 foot mark?Also calling Martin and James one dimensional is ignorant. We've seen them both catch the ball, they're both excellent pass blockers, and they're both good runners. They're the opposite of one dimensional. Rainey is a clearly more of a runner but isn't an awful receiver either. Now labeling them injury prone is even more interesting. Martin and James have one fluky injury each and Rainey was never even injured. I too am concerned about the OG position. In the third round we chose between adding a RB and adding a guard. I think we chose poorly.

Whether or not Martin is a good receiver is subject to debate. Since he led all RB's in drops despite playing a limited schedule backs up my thought that he isnt a very good receiver. Martin was injired in preseason trying to pass protect and he was injured trying to run a wheel route during the season. If I really was ignorant I would have probably not picked up on those two facts. Facts that both support my ideas about Martins limited skill set. As far as the RB"s being injury prone that is not really up for debate. Rainey did get dinged in one game even though he kept playing. But for the record, he was put on injured reserve to end his 2012 season. So Rainey and Martin have 2 years in the league and have both been put on IR once. James has one year in the NFL and is 1 for 1 with being put on IR to end hos rookie season. There is no debating those facts. We have three undersized (hence the size remark) injury prone RB's.Of course I would have preferred a more durable RB like Hyde but this kid fits the offense better and Hyde was gone already. I would have picked OG in the 3rd as well but that doesnt discount the fact that we needed to bring in a more versatile RB in order for this offense to thrive. Its obvious to me that our RB situation was not as good as some people thought. As usual, I was correct.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Being a WVU fan I love this pick.Coach Holgorsen stated a few times last season that not only was Sims the best running back on the team but he was the best inside receiver as well. I think he will be very good in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Being a WVU fan I love this pick.Coach Holgorsen stated a few times last season that not only was Sims the best running back on the team but he was the best inside receiver as well. I think he will be very good in the NFL.

You saw ONE season which happened to be his best.  Look at his Houston numbers.  Never broke 1000 yds and his freshman year was actually his best.The guy was going undrafted until Dana brought him to WVU as a sixth year senior.  Basically a man playing with boys.  We'll regret this pick one day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You saw ONE season which happened to be his best.  Look at his Houston numbers.  Never broke 1000 yds and his freshman year was actually his best.The guy was going undrafted until Dana brought him to WVU as a sixth year senior.  Basically a man playing with boys.  We'll regret this pick one day.

sixth year senior? quit trolling dude. and he had a 7.5 and 6.0 ypc at Houston. then once he goes to play against better talent he breaks 1000 yards easily. quit being a troll because your mad you didn’t get the guy you wanted.you don't even need to look at any numbers all you have to do is watch him play and you can tell he can ball.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I can see why we are going in a different direction at RB. We need to keep Sims fresh. Martin can be used as a blocker. Tell Sims to give a little wave when he needs a breather.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah I can see why we are going in a different direction at RB. We need to keep Sims fresh. Martin can be used as a blocker. Tell Sims to give a little wave when he needs a breather.

Did you see Martin blocking last year??? he was bad... I rather have M.James blocking..I think everyone sleeping on James.. Kid can run,catch, and block..he can play both RB/FB on this team..I love Martin, but man last year before he got hurt..he didn't look so good, at running, catching or blocking.. James looked better. Hopefully Martin fix whatever it was.. and bring his A-game, cause I know Sims,James and Rainey will all bring their A-game..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thats good to hear. What I noticed watching his full games is that his OL was not very good. He got hit in the backfield a lot and still averaged over 5 ypc. He is very shifty and he has great hands and adjusts to the ball naturally. I see tons of potential with him. And I can see him becoming a primary weapon at RB in a lot of single back sets with VJ Evans and ASJ split out. This offense is going to be explosive I think. The Bucs could be a surprise turnaround team this year if the OL holds up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The "demented folks" include Bucky Brooks, Gil Brandt, Greg  Cossell, and most importantly, Lovie Smith. Personally I think he has Forte-like traits, though stylistically he doesn't look like him to me (he doesn't look or play like McCoy). I'm not saying he'll have the same impact or be as good as Arian Foster, but stylistically, that's the guy he runs like - a bit upright. I can understand criticism of the pick for value or opportunity costs purposes. I also agree as a pure runner, Martin's better. But I find it bizarre that people think he's a 3rd down guy only. What exactly are you watching? It must be Houston tape only.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much better runner...look at the stats.  Sims was not exactly lighting it up on the ground.  Receiver?  Sure...who wasn't at Houston.  System guy.

If you look at his yards per carry it's pretty impressive, actually.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First you say the only reason he had 70 rec was because of Houston's offense. Now you're saying he never topped 1000 yards running in a Houston offense known for passing. I think one would have to be able to catch in order to get 70 reception and being in a offense like that wont' produce a lot of 1000 yard rushers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First you say the only reason he had 70 rec was because of Houston's offense. Now you're saying he never topped 1000 yards running in a Houston offense known for passing. I think one would have to be able to catch in order to get 70 reception and being in a offense like that wont' produce a lot of 1000 yard rushers.

I don't understand that either. He carried the ball 384 times at Houston and averaged 6.2 ypc. Of course he's not going to break 1,000 yards per season with less than 150 carries. Do the math.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Him and Herron are probably my favorites picks in this draft.Herron is a lot thicker below the hips than I would have expected for a fast guy.  Makes him an excellent slot candidate.If he gets the routes down and stays healthy (timid in the middle when he was hurt) he'll push dawkins/murphy to nbr 4 IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the biggest worry for Sims would be the number of touches he had in college. 800 sounds like a lot of wear & tear

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the biggest worry for Sims would be the number of touches he had in college. 800 sounds like a lot of wear & tear

Tedford uses a rotation for his RB's.  He favors the committee approach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tedford uses a rotation for his RB's.  He favors the committee approach.

A lot of the data on touches/wear and tear indicates that it's the carries that matter, not so much the receptions (at least it's not correlated to problems). Types of hits and hitters you face is different.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I bought a new car but haven’t driven it…..I gave it an “A”.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whether or not Martin is a good receiver is subject to debate. Since he led all RB's in drops despite playing a limited schedule backs up my thought that he isnt a very good receiver. Martin was injired in preseason trying to pass protect and he was injured trying to run a wheel route during the season. If I really was ignorant I would have probably not picked up on those two facts. Facts that both support my ideas about Martins limited skill set. As far as the RB"s being injury prone that is not really up for debate. Rainey did get dinged in one game even though he kept playing. But for the record, he was put on injured reserve to end his 2012 season. So Rainey and Martin have 2 years in the league and have both been put on IR once. James has one year in the NFL and is 1 for 1 with being put on IR to end hos rookie season. There is no debating those facts. We have three undersized (hence the size remark) injury prone RB's.Of course I would have preferred a more durable RB like Hyde but this kid fits the offense better and Hyde was gone already. I would have picked OG in the 3rd as well but that doesnt discount the fact that we needed to bring in a more versatile RB in order for this offense to thrive. Its obvious to me that our RB situation was not as good as some people thought. As usual, I was correct.

Last year Martin didn't play well, but as a rookie he was tied for 5th among RBs in catches and was 2nd in yards per reception among RBs behind Woodhead. That's in addition to having 300+ carries. No RB with that many catches had remotely as many carries. The guy was excellent in every area while being worked to death by Schiano. It's no wonder he hit the sophomore wall considering his usage and the awful passing game to support him. Martin is an excellent pass blocker, always has been. Saying that he was injured while running a wheel route means nothing. A player can get injured using the stairs. Does that mean they don't have the skillset to use stairs? The fact that Martin was running a wheel route in the first place is a testament to his skills as a receiver. Wheel routes are not a common part of the RB skillset. It requires speed/acceleration to beat the safety to a spot, route running to sell the underneath, and the ability to track the football deep. Martin was drafted for his 3-down ability and proved it as rookie. The facts you're leaning on are cherry picked and don't support your conclusion at all. The fact that you think our RBs are so clearly injury prone, and that it's "not up for debate" is incredible. The phrase "injury prone" by definition requires a player to be injured at least twice, if not many times. A single event can not form a pattern. Each of these RBs have one serious pro injury. You either don't understand the phrase or are deliberately being obtuse. And calling them undersized while propping up Sims is also odd, since Sims is 6'-215, which is thin for an NFL running back. Martin is the same weight but 3 inches shorter so by definition has a thicker build. James is 5'10-230, again thicker. Rainey included, they all have higher BMI than Sims. And since the average NFL RB is 5'10-215, none of these guys is actually undersized at all. Wrong on both counts. "As usual, I was correct." You have an impressive combination of arrogance and ignorance, I'll give you that. As I said before, I think Sims is a great receiver and will get used, but the fact remains that it was a luxury pick considering the players we already have. On one hand I'm pleased to see our roster has way less holes than years past where the team feels safe enough to take a luxury. On the other hand, our D and O line depth is awful and we skipped some good players at that pick. I still think Sims is not better than the players we have, and definitely not so much better as to outweigh the holes we have at guard and the depth we desperately needed. I'll be happy when Sims scores but when McCown is eating sacks up the middle I won't be.

Please wait…

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.