Viewing 78 reply threads

• Author

• Hate

Participant

1-Jake Matthews OT2-Jimmy Garoppolo QB3-Martavius Bryant WR5-Cassius Marsh DE6-Jeremy Gallon WRhttp://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why does he keep mocking OT’s to us?? lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

what's your board?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Looks legit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

what's your board?

1- qb/wr2- wr/qb3- g/wr

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OTs are the best ROI …

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why does he keep mocking OT's to us?? lol.

I don't think it's a stretch at all. Either Matthews or Collins would play inside. Not sure Garoppolo is there in round 2. If they want him, they may need to move up to get him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So with our first pick we choose a very good player, but one we don’t need…. with our second pick we PASS ON BRIDGEWATER FOR A PROJECT QB… and with our third pick we finally address WR, but with a project WR who’s nowhere near ready to be a starter. Sweet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would never get ill from picking a solid Tackle in 1st.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Matthews, but I’d much rather get Evans, Donald or a QB. I’ve decompressed a bit… so I can say I’d live with Matthews, it would be good knowing one of our G positions would be solidified… I’m guessing Dotson would roll inside. If we take Bryant it needs to be in the 3rd, so I guess this is ok… If we took Bryant in the 2nd that’s a reach. However I can’t wrap my head around taking Jimmy G over Bridgewater. Jimmy G should only be considered if Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr and Bortles are off the board. Personally I prefer Murray to him. Still, this would underwhelm most of us I think.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mocks with trades are a pain, but I really would like to trade back and grab someone like OBJ or Cooks as opposed to staying put, unless a guy like Watkins or maybe even Mack falls to us. In his defense, Charlie did say he thinks we’ll try to trade back. I think if Evans and Manziel are there then there will be teams looking to move up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OTs are the best ROI ...

Not really.  The position-bust percentage is surprisingly close among almost all positions.The only thing that can be a positive about drafting a busted OT is they can usually either be moved the other side of the line or bounced inside to OG.  As opposed to drafting a Safety, for argument's sake, if that Safety busts - then he's got nowhere else to go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I think the 1st rounder is going to be a wide out unless we trade to middle of the round.Don't think an OT is in the cards this year.  At least not early.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can’t see any possible scenario where we don’t grab a WR with one of our first 2 picks…..just can’t see it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ew

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t have a problem with the Matthews pick, but don’t like anything else.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

what's your board?

1- qb/wr2- wr/qb3- g/wr

That's not how draft boards work. I'd rather take the BPA in round one than reach for a need. Plus, I think guys like Matthews, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Evans, grade out higher than any of the QBs in this draft. I believe most teams feel that way as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

taking Marsh when Barrow and other better defensive players are on the board………………..blech

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd rather take the BPA in round one than reach for a need. Plus, I think guys like Matthews, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Evans, grade out higher than any of the QBs in this draft. I believe most teams feel that way as well.

Note that the draft had us passing on Evans to take Matthews.  I'm not at all certain that taking Evans over Matthews would be a matter of reaching for need, although I understand dalbuc's argument that it would be taking a position that in general doesn't warrant a top 10 pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd rather take the BPA in round one than reach for a need. Plus, I think guys like Matthews, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Evans, grade out higher than any of the QBs in this draft. I believe most teams feel that way as well.

Note that the draft had us passing on Evans to take Matthews.  I'm not at all certain that taking Evans over Matthews would be a matter of reaching for need, although I understand dalbuc's argument that it would be taking a position that in general doesn't warrant a top 10 pick.

Then that boils down to where the Bucs have Matthews rated in comparsion to Evans. Personally, I think Evans will be the better pro. Also, with regards to LTs and WRs, the whole "position doesn't warrant a top 10 pick" arguement holds no sand....at least not with me. But what does my opinion matter to NFL teams?If a draft holds about 6-7 elite players, then the remaining players, regardless of position, would fall out where the various teams have the ranked on their boards. If the best G prospect in the last five years came out in a particular season, compared to a group of QBs, pass rushers, tackles, etc who were good but not necessarily elite, would you pass on that G prospect because it is traditionally an area that doesn't merit a top 10 pick? I wouldn't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

what's your board?

1- qb/wr2- wr/qb3- g/wr

That's not how draft boards work. I'd rather take the BPA in round one than reach for a need. Plus, I think guys like Matthews, Robinson, Mack, Watkins, Evans, grade out higher than any of the QBs in this draft. I believe most teams feel that way as well.

LOL @ how draft boards work.....do you think we're drafting according to McShay/Kiper? Each organization puts their own grade on each individual player and none of us(except 10lb) knows how Lovie grades anyone. Its all speculation by any of us and my wishes are based on who i hope is available when we are on the clock.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t get the OT. You can make the argument at almost any other spot you can platoon guys in and get reps but OT where Dotson is good and Collins is an expensive signee isn’t a spot that you want to platoon. Love Matthews but don’t see him winding up here as one of those 3 guys becomes functionally valueless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, if we draft an OT we are going to nab Robinson…… He can play G for a few years before sliding over…. I don’t see a scenario where we select Matthews, but Im just a fan.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Not a huge fan of drafting an OT in R1. And getting Jimmy G when Bridgewater was still on the board is just beyond me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

adventuretime-lemongrab-unacceptable.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Turrible mock draft. CC sucks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I much prefer Walts latest mock.1. JFF2. WR - Allen Robinson (PENNST)3. DT - Dominque Easley (FL)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only offensive linemen I would be okay with taking is Robinson and even then I wouldn’t be too happy. Dotson is one of the best RT’s in the NFL and we just signed Collins to a decent contract. Makes zero sense to draft another OT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

what's your board?

1. Manziel2. At all costs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Piss poor.Funny how the national media keeps pushing this nonsense that we need an OT. Dotson is a beast. Do some research you idiots.Robinson makes a little sense because he can play inside. Matthews ? No sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel drops all the way to #26?Not a chance in hell.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No freaking way the Bucs take a pure tackle at 7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone seems to assume Dotson survived the O-line cuts because he is great, but maybe he survived because his contract is dirt cheap. There is no way of knowing if L&L really love him as much as this board does.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dotson grades out superb. No one is assuming anything. Get a clue , dweeb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just like we dont know what L&L’s draft board looks like, we also dont know if they truly like Dotson at RT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone seems to assume Dotson survived the O-line cuts because he is great, but maybe he survived because his contract is dirt cheap. There is no way of knowing if L&L really love him as much as this board does.

Is this a joke? Dotson is regarded around the league as one of the best OTs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unless they haven’t watched the film , we do know they like him. Nothing not to like. He wwas our best player on offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is this a joke? Dotson is regarded around the league as one of the best OTs.

Lol. Is this a joke? You got a link? I doubt many people outside of One Buc even know his name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dotson graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 13 right tackle in the league in 2012. He's solid in pass protection, but he has a bit of a penalty problem.

Demar Dotson is playing as well as any right tackle in the league this year, ranking first in Pro Football Focus' right tackle rankings and fifth in overall tackle rankings.

Four years later, Dotson continues to reward the Bucs for the small wager they made on him, because he has not only proved to be an effective starting tackle, but he’s also one of the best right tackles in the game.That, at least, is the assessment of the number-crunchers at ProFootballFocus, which ranks Dotson fifth among all offensive tackles and first among all right tackles with a cumulative season grade of plus-22.5. Broken down further, Dotson has allowed just four sacks, two QB hits and 19 QB hurries this year, while also producing a positive run-blocking grade of 7.1 that is seventh among all tackles.

Our third highest graded right tackle is next on the list, with his impressive play coming in similar fashion to Staley and Gross. He committed just four penalties all year, and didn’t make many mistakes in the run game, but it was as a pass blocker where he deserved the most praise. Allowing just five sacks, two hits and 27 hurries, he was our sixth highest graded offensive tackle in terms of pass blocking grade.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why does he keep mocking OT's to us?? lol.

We have one of the better RT in the league and we just signed a new LT to a multi year contract. Makes me think these guys don't know the Bucs very well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That was a gross miscalculation Jdub. Dotson has been grading out as one of the top tackles for years now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1-Jake Matthews OT2-Jimmy Garoppolo QB3-Martavius Bryant WR5-Cassius Marsh DE6-Jeremy Gallon WRhttp://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie.php

You can argue about the actual players but I have to admit that I like the principle of OL round 1 and then look at QB and WR (with the specific round they are drafted being interchangeable). I don't think the depth we have at OL is very impressive, and as the last couple of years have shown, a couple of injuries then all of a sudden you are in a world of hurt. I have also seen over the years people argue how you can draft "serviceable" OL in the latter rounds and plug them in. Well, how's that worked out for us? Not well I would say. So I am a big fan of OL first round and quite like this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dotson graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 13 right tackle in the league in 2012. He's solid in pass protection, but he has a bit of a penalty problem.

Demar Dotson is playing as well as any right tackle in the league this year, ranking first in Pro Football Focus' right tackle rankings and fifth in overall tackle rankings.

Four years later, Dotson continues to reward the Bucs for the small wager they made on him, because he has not only proved to be an effective starting tackle, but he’s also one of the best right tackles in the game.That, at least, is the assessment of the number-crunchers at ProFootballFocus, which ranks Dotson fifth among all offensive tackles and first among all right tackles with a cumulative season grade of plus-22.5. Broken down further, Dotson has allowed just four sacks, two QB hits and 19 QB hurries this year, while also producing a positive run-blocking grade of 7.1 that is seventh among all tackles.

Our third highest graded right tackle is next on the list, with his impressive play coming in similar fashion to Staley and Gross. He committed just four penalties all year, and didn’t make many mistakes in the run game, but it was as a pass blocker where he deserved the most praise. Allowing just five sacks, two hits and 27 hurries, he was our sixth highest graded offensive tackle in terms of pass blocking grade.

I said outside of Tampa nobody knows him and two of your four examples are from the Bucnation website and TBO.com....Look, I like him. I think he is a good player. I am glad we have him and L&L most likely feel the same way. But we don't know that for sure and PFF grading him well doesn't change that. They also graded Zuttah and Davin Joseph high for several years. Most people around the league talked very highly of Donald Penn. They are all gone now because all that matters is what L&L think and none of us know for sure who they love and who they want to upgrade. I don't like the idea of us drafting Matthews either and I don't know why so many mocks have us taking an OT when we just signed one. My point is only that we shouldn't make assumptions about what L&L think and and plan. They could very well take a top OT if they feel he is the best player available. It is far from impossible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I said outside of Tampa nobody knows him and two of your four examples are from the Bucnation website and TBO.com....Look, I like him. I think he is a good player. I am glad we have him and L&L most likely feel the same way. But we don't know that for sure and PFF grading him well doesn't change that. They also graded Zuttah and Davin Joseph high for several years. Most people around the league talked very highly of Donald Penn. They are all gone now because all that matters is what L&L think and none of us know for sure who they love and who they want to upgrade. I don't like the idea of us drafting Matthews either and I don't know why so many mocks have us taking an OT when we just signed one. My point is only that we shouldn't make assumptions about what L&L think and and plan. They could very well take a top OT if they feel he is the best player available. It is far from impossible.

Bucsnation quottng PFF.Here's another one.Matt Miller, a pretty good writer.http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1949457-br-nfl-1000-top-35-right-tackles/page/33Pass Block44/50Demar Dotson (6’9”, 315 lbs, five seasons) emerged in 2013 as a top-tier right tackle. The long arms on his frame allow him to reach defenders with ease, and he’s able to drop his weight to handle a power rush. Speed players can test Dotson, but he does show a nice punch and a good slide to recover when going to his right. His kick-slide is actually a slide, too, unlike many big players who try to jump out of their stance.Run Block38/50A solid player with power to come off the ball and stun defenders, Dotson has to learn to finish blocks better. He’ll make initial contact and then struggle to hang onto or handle defenders. He’s able to move well to get to outside linebackers or wide ends, but he could stand to be more consistent. Agility and bend aren’t a high-graded trait of his.Overall82/100A nice surprise in an otherwise tough season for Tampa, Dotson emerged as a top right tackle this fall. His development over the offseason led to his moving from No. 14 overall last year into the top five this time around.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bleacher report…lol. I've explained my stance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, Anthony Collins only has $3M guaranteed after this season. He could easily be traded next offseason if we were to draft Matthews or Robinson. Not saying I like it….but it’s possible if they have an OT graded out high enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bleacher report...lol. I've explained my stance.

Bleacher Report isn't all random fans. Matt Miller is a well known draft analyst. BR also has former NFL DB, Matt Bowen writing for them. He is the top guy for anything DB related.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And third highest graded right tackle by Pro Football Focus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I follow Matt Miller on Twitter. I know who he is. Bleacher Report is still a joke.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I follow Matt Miller on Twitter. I know who he is. Bleacher Report is still a joke.

It is for the most part. Matt Miller wrote the article though. Stop talking about boring offensive tackles. I want JFF!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hear ya man. Nine more days. The build up has been especially long and painful this year…..an OT in the top 10 would be very anticlimactic.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think JDub is just trying to be realistic about it all because we dont truly know…as much as you think you “know” what L&L think. Draft needs to hurry the fuck up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man, y’all must be bored discussing if Dotson is an NFL starter or not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be fine with Matthews in the first.  The rest of Charlie’s mock sucks, though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I do think there’s something to JD’s point about Dotson (even though I suspect they do like him, we don’t know to what extent; it’s also true that his contract is not an impediment to drafting another OT, especially someone like Matthews or Robinson who has the potential to play more than one position).PFF does like him, but they like him as he played in last year's scheme. Do we know if he's what they are looking for in an ideal tackle. The other thing is the obvious - we are talking about guys who most people think would have been drafted ahead of the OTs selected last year - let's recall that those guys went 1,2, and 4 overall. These are elite players. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bwahahahaha!! Jdud pwned again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bwahahahaha!! Jdud pwned again.

Not quite pwned and his argument still stands.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone seems to assume Dotson survived the O-line cuts because he is great, but maybe he survived because his contract is dirt cheap.

What is his argument? That Dotson is really not that great and the only reason he is still on the team is his small contract..... yeah errrrrr, uh idk if that 'argument' holds any 'water'. Or is it that part that he threw on the end to protect himself about us not really knowing what the GM thinks? That's a given and isn't really an argument, its fact. No one knows what any GMs truly think of their players, especially 1st year GMs. But to suggest that Demar Dotson does not grade out well on film? Yet another classic example of JDub's deflection techniques.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pwnage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone seems to assume Dotson survived the O-line cuts because he is great, but maybe he survived because his contract is dirt cheap.

What is his argument? That Dotson is really not that great and the only reason he is still on the team is his small contract..... yeah errrrrr, uh idk if that 'argument' holds any 'water'.

I think I made it pretty clear that I don't think he sucks and I am glad we have him. The point was that we don't know how in love L&L are with him and you can't entirely rule out an OT in the 1srt round. Even if they do like him, (which they most likely do) it's like saying we'd pass on Clowney because we like William Gholston. An elite talent is an elite talent and if they see Robinson or Matthews as elite, and one is available....well it's naive to think that you know for sure that they would pass because we have Demar Dotson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

....well it's naive to think that you know for sure that they would pass because we have Demar Dotson.

They will for-sure pass on Matthews. Robinson could be in play though as Collins and Dotson are both players who are getting up there in age. Robinson has the ability to play the Guard position, which is a major need for the Bucs right now,  and could later fill in for Collins/Dotson if either player goes down mid-season, but Matthews is a pure OT and I think its naive to argue think that the Bucs could draft him just because Dotson's contract is small.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure you understand what naive means.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This guy with the deflections…. Sorry for putting argue instead of think, smh.  I know what naive means but even if I didn’t, it wouldn’t change the fact that the Bucs drafting Matthews is outside of the relm of possibility.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This guy with the deflections.... Sorry for putting argue instead of think, smh.  I know what naive means but even if I didn't, it wouldn't change the fact that the Bucs drafting Matthews is outside of the relm of possibility.

Nothing is outside the realm of possibilities. Is this your first draft? I'll let you in on a few secrets. The internet rankings don't mean sh!t. Things never go as planned. There are always big surprises that nobody saw coming. Stop being naive.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs and Matthews is not possible. Will not happen. Mark my words.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JDouble:   "Not sure you understand what naive means."Aren't you the dude who went on the Blount crusade?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs and Matthews is not possible. Will not happen. Mark my words.

Ok.  ::)fortune.jpgSpeaking in absolutes when referring to the draft is foolish. It's not very likely to happen...but could. The end.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Will never ever ever ever happen…. because we have Dotson. The end.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matthews is a pure OT

Look, I suspect we won't take Matthews (or Lewan) - but it really depends on the relative grades, where we ultimately pick, etc.: "Fisher coached the elder Matthews in his time with the Oilers/Titans and can see the similarities between the father and son. "Bruce having played all the positions and having been selected to the Pro Bowl at all the positions, probably one of the more flexible offensive linemen to ever come out," Fisher said. "I think (Jake) has got some similar traits, we haven’t seen Jake play center yet, or guard, but athletically could do both I’m sure.’http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/tag/_/name/jake-matthewsNolan Nawrocki, NFL.com: “Smart, tough, versatile franchise left tackle capable of playing all five positions on the line. Can plug into a starting lineup immediately and will play a long time at a consistently high level. One of the safest picks in the draft, Matthews’ best position might even be center.” I feel Matthews can play any position on the offensive line except center. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=3

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never speak in absolutes about the draft …. says the guy who throws yearly draft day hissy fits declaring guys busts and wasted picks before they ever play a down . LMAO...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I don’t get the mathews can’t play OG crap, 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we draft a guy at #7 and have him play guard, the entire staff should be fired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we draft a guy at #7 and have him play guard, the entire staff should be fired.

If the guy's career was going to be guard, I'd agree. I don't have any problem playing a rookie OL with the potential to be a long-term Pro Bowl caliber LT as a guard for a year because of the makeup of the roster makes it the short-term best use of the roster. I like Dotson quite a bit, but he's had one year where he's put it together. Anthony Collins, while promising looking, has played both LT and RT, and neither of those things for an entire season. We have a short-run depth issue on the OL. I think there are worse things than taking a top level OT. Again, it depends on what options b, c, d are of course.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You don’t take him at 7 unless he’s a day one guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So let me get this straight- some of you would be perfectly fine taking a QB at 7 and letting him develop for a year or two behind McCown, but taking a tackle at 7 and letting him play guard for a season or two before moving him to tackle is out of the question?  That makes no sense….Look- I know a large percentage of current NFL fans are Madden/fantasy junkies and that's fine, but you need to understand that in the real league games are won and lost in the trenches.    If you cannot protect your QB it does not matter who that QB is.  No QB can throw from their back.  No RB can run through a wall.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matthews over Evans in the 1st?Jimmy G. over Bridge in the 2nd?Bryant over Richardson or Landry in the 3rd?I'll have to go help train dog-fighting pitbulls for a week or two, after those decisions in the first 3 rounds.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So let me get this straight- some of you would be perfectly fine taking a QB at 7 and letting him develop for a year or two behind McCown, but taking a tackle at 7 and letting him play guard for a season or two before moving him to tackle is out of the question?  That makes no sense....Look- I know a large percentage of current NFL fans are Madden/fantasy junkies and that's fine, but you need to understand that in the real league games are won and lost in the trenches.    If you cannot protect your QB it does not matter who that QB is.  No QB can throw from their back.  No RB can run through a wall.

Well said, sammich. However, I think the problem is that people don't believe that you take a player like that in the Top 10. If we drafted a QB at 15 or the 2nd round and let him sit for a year, that's fine. However, when you invest a Top 10 Pick, you expect a day one starter for the next half decade.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this would make me ill

what's your board?

1. Manziel2. At all costs

Watkins sits atop my wishlist

Please wait…

Viewing 78 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.