Viewing 51 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

NFL Rumors: Chip Kelly To USC Buzz Heating Up by Erik Lambert 2h ago chip_zpsnkn2tabj.pngNot too long ago, when the Philadelphia Eagles began their latest roster purge of names like LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin and Evan Mathis people wonder how in the world the team could let such great players go.  The short answer was they “didn’t fit” what head coach Chip Kelly wanted for his team and his system.That’s a nice, simple explanation at all but anybody with knowledge of NFL history knows it’s never wise to unload that much talent, at least not that fast.  It’s an unnecessary gamble by a team that has finished 10-6 the past two seasons.  Why would Kelly try to rush the process?Of course to win a championship, but some posed the idea that he really had nothing to lose.  Kelly has a long track record of success at the college level.  His job security was cemented long before he accepted the Eagles job.  Even if things didn’t work out in Philadelphia, he’s have a laundry list of NCAA teams waiting to hire him.Now with the Eagles 1-3 and lacking any sort of rhythm, largely due to so many new faces, speculation has already begun that Kelly is likely out after the 2015 season.  One spot the buzz is picking up at is USC, where embattled coach Steve Sarkisian sits at 3-2 on the year and his team being labeled as “soft.”“Eagles coach Chip Kelly is having a rough season. USC coach Steve Sarkisian is having a rough season. It’s not a stretch to connect those dots.And so it’s no surprise that people are already talking about the possibility of Sarkisian getting fired at the end of this season, and Kelly leaving the Eagles to take his place. An SI.com report today says that talk within USC of finding a new coach will certainly include Kelly, and that USC had strong interest in Kelly when it hired Sarkisian.”Hiring Kelly would be a no-brainer for USC.  They saw first hand what he did at Oregon and would love nothing better than to bring that proven success to southern California.  Of course that does nothing for the Philadelphia Eagles, who gave up a proven head coach in Andy Reid to let him work his mad science on their franchise.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would laugh at all my friends who were pumping chip kelly’s “moves” this offseason if this happens. Eagles fans are the worst.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Eagles fans are the worst.

Preach on!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

would be kinda funny.  at the very least, lovie isnt wrecking our future.  not sure the same can be said about chip.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who didn’t see this coming?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude has back to back 10 win seasons. Where are all the former players preaching patience?With this guy you have patience, with a coach with 3 wins in 20 games you don't have patience

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

No knock on him as a person. But we are all designed to do different things. Just like Saban and Schiano , Chip Kelly is designed to function best as a college coach. Dealing with grown men with big bank accounts is quite different than dealing with student athletes on scholarship. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who didn't see this coming?

A good amount of people apparently. A lot of people on this board spoke very highly of Chip in the past, and whined about us not having him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who didn't see this coming?

This writer lolhttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/2395321-philadelphia-eagles-kelly-displays-brilliant-genius-this-offseason I think the Eagles make the playoffs this year, and as the Kelly tenure ages, they just might bring a Lombardi Trophy to the city of Brotherly Love.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If tampa didnt have freeman, they could hire chip.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

No knock on him as a person. But we are all designed to do different things. Just like Saban and Schiano , Chip Kelly is designed to function best as a college coach. Dealing with grown men with big bank accounts is quite different than dealing with student athletes on scholarship.

name me another NFL coach thàt could have  back to back 10 win seasons with a top 5 offense and not have a franchise QB?  They’ve even have had a revolving door at the position.    And yet you defend Lovie.  I wonder why ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great coach. Terrible GM.

Please wait…

• mdclarie

Participant

I would laugh at all my friends who were pumping chip kelly's "moves" this offseason if this happens. Eagles fans are the worst.

Most Eagles fans I know thought the moves were terrible and would be happy to see Kelly leave.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

would be kinda funny.  at the very least, lovie isnt wrecking our future.  not sure the same can be said about chip.

How is Kelly wrecking the Eagles future?  McCoy is showing his age in Buffalo.  The DeSean Jackson has been inured each of the last 2 years and really hasn't been anything special.  What's so special about Evan Mathis?  If he was so good, why did he only get a "1-year prove it" contract?  Maclin leaving does hurt, but they have Jordan Matthews who looks like the real deal and Agholor has potential.I don't see how that's wrecking the future.  Nick Foles was and is nothing special.  Ok, so what if Bradford doesn't pan out?  They'd still need a QB with or without either of them.  They have Murray - while an injury risk - is younger and has less tread on his tires than McCoy.  He's still an upgrade and a cheaper player.  Sproles and Mathews are solid contributors.  There's nothing wrong with the talent/future on offense.On defense, I'm not so sure they're any worse there than they were when he took over.  They don't have any bad long term contracts.  All the players that have big money and time owed to them are still pretty solid players.Lovie Smith is doing a lot more damage to the Bucs than Kelly is to the Eagles.  We have a TE who can't play.  A WR who's old and leaving soon and no replacement in sight.  The OLine is a crap shoot.  The RB's are a mess.  The defense is no better now than when Schiano was here... and those guys quit on him.  So, if a bunch of guys who quit on their former HC are no better now... how is the current HC making any progress?I think you're letting your "homer-ism (of the Bucs)," and hatred-ism (of the Eagles)," cloud your judgement on this one.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

name me another NFL coach thàt could have  back to back 10 win seasons with a top 5 offense and not have a franchise QB?  They've even have had a revolving door at the position.    And yet you defend Lovie.  I wonder why ::)

Rather than questioning me--go present your arguments to those who are driving the buzz.And I know what you are insinuating--give it a break homeboy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How is Kelly wrecking the Eagles future?  McCoy is showing his age in Buffalo.  The DeSean Jackson has been inured each of the last 2 years and really hasn't been anything special.  What's so special about Evan Mathis?  If he was so good, why did he only get a "1-year prove it" contract?  Maclin leaving does hurt, but they have Jordan Matthews who looks like the real deal and Agholor has potential.I don't see how that's wrecking the future.  Nick Foles was and is nothing special.  Ok, so what if Bradford doesn't pan out?  They'd still need a QB with or without either of them.  They have Murray - while an injury risk - is younger and has less tread on his tires than McCoy.  He's still an upgrade and a cheaper player.  Sproles and Mathews are solid contributors.  There's nothing wrong with the talent/future on offense.On defense, I'm not so sure they're any worse there than they were when he took over.  They don't have any bad long term contracts.  All the players that have big money and time owed to them are still pretty solid players.Lovie Smith is doing a lot more damage to the Bucs than Kelly is to the Eagles.  We have a TE who can't play.  A WR who's old and leaving soon and no replacement in sight.  The OLine is a crap shoot.  The RB's are a mess.  The defense is no better now than when Schiano was here... and those guys quit on him.  So, if a bunch of guys who quit on their former HC are no better now... how is the current HC making any progress?I think you're letting your "homer-ism (of the Bucs)," and hatred-ism (of the Eagles)," cloud your judgement on this one.

Ummm, how has Chip hurt the Eagles and their future. Let's see:1. Got rid of Jeremy Maclin (which you admitted)2. Traded Nick Foles, a 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder for Sam Bradford and a 5th. He essentially traded a 2nd and 4th rounder for a 5th rounder, as Bradford and Foles haven't been any different in his system. I'd say losing a 2nd rounder and then moving down a round for nothing is pretty much the definition of hurting their future.3. You don't think the loss of Evan Mathis has hurt them? Hahahaha, I can tell you haven't watched much of the Eagles this year. I live here and see most of their games, in addition to having many friends that are Eagles fans. Their o-line has been absolute garbage and is the main reason the offense is struggling so much, probably even more so than the guy Chip traded for at QB.4. Traded LeSean McCoy. You say McCoy is showing his age because he hasn't been great and he is hurt. Well, this would be a good thing for Chip, but then you realize who he traded him for and what he replaced him with. Kiko Alonso, who has already torn his ACL twice, is hurt again (shocker) and Demarco Murray, (who has injury history, as well) the younger (both are 27), cheaper (both are making $8 mil per year) 'upgrade' has been hilariously bad. McCoy hasn't even been good this year, and has still tripled his production. 5. Made Byron Maxwell a top 5 paid CB. Quite possibly the biggest fail of them all. Chip went out and signed Maxwell to a 5 year, $50 mil + contract because their secondary was god awful. The only problem is, Maxwell is garbage himself. Eagles fans already can't stand this guy and it's hilarious watching him get burned. Seeing him smiling after getting burned by Terrance Williams to close out the Cowboys game really just makes me think he's about the money. 6. Drafted Marcus Smith in the 1st round. On draft day, when it was announced who the Eagles took at #26, most people said 'WHO???'. Well, Smith hasn't proven these people wrong at all. He's been on the field for 77 snaps in his NFL career so far and can't even get playing time on a bad defense. This dude is an epic bust for a 1st rounder and Chip was the one who decided to make it.I'm not going to mention DeSean Jackson as I think he is a headcase, but there are A LOT of Eagles fans who still hold that against Chip, as well. He might be injured this year, but he had a 1,000 season last year with garbage QB's throwing to him.Lovie hasn't really hurt the future of this team too much, IMO. Sure, last off-season we had a bunch of awful signings, but we've parted ways with them so they're not much of a problem now or for the future. We have a lot of young pieces on the offense to work with and the defense hasn't been worse than it was under Schiano (which is disappointing since Lovie is supposed to a defensive guru). If Winston turns out to be a bust and Mariota turns out to be a stud, then yes, Lovie did significantly hurt the future of this franchise, but we have a while until we know that.So, your hatred of Lovie Smith is once again blinding your judgement on this one. Trying to say Chip hasn't hurt the Eagles future just to fuel your hatred for Lovie.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Great college coach. Terrible GM.

There I fixed it for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice post RGS

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ummm, how has Chip hurt the Eagles and their future. Let's see:1. Got rid of Jeremy Maclin (which you admitted)

So, you're banging the drum against Murray and Alonzo because of their injury history... and are excusing Maclin?  Okay....  Anyway, while the kid does have talent, I believe they replaced him quite adequately with Mattews.  They also added to the offense by drafting Agholor.  Agholor + Matthews for the pennies that they cost, plus potential production is much greater than the financial cost, headaches, and injury history of both Maclin and Jackson.  This is a sure fire win for Kelly on this front and can't be seen as a negative.

2. Traded Nick Foles, a 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder for Sam Bradford and a 5th. He essentially traded a 2nd and 4th rounder for a 5th rounder, as Bradford and Foles haven't been any different in his system. I'd say losing a 2nd rounder and then moving down a round for nothing is pretty much the definition of hurting their future.

You're basing this on the assumption that Bradford will be garbage... even though with the Rams, he was a pretty solid passer and showed signs that he was improving each year.  People complain that he's not accurate.  Well, he's completing passes as much or more than he was in St. Louis.  After the season, we'll see where he is.  I think he's adequate at the moment and will improve.  You're banking on the assumption that he's going to suck.  If he's a franchise QB, every Eagles fan will laugh that they got a franchise QB and a 5th round pick for a 2nd, 4th, and a bum like Foles.  You know I'm right too... as does everyone else.  I believe Bradford can be that.  We'll see if it works out.  Right now you can't call it a bad move because the potential is there that this more can be a franchise saving move.

3. You don't think the loss of Evan Mathis has hurt them? Hahahaha, I can tell you haven't watched much of the Eagles this year. I live here and see most of their games, in addition to having many friends that are Eagles fans. Their o-line has been absolute garbage and is the main reason the offense is struggling so much, probably even more so than the guy Chip traded for at QB.

No, I don't.  Their OLine sucked last year with him... so what if it sucks now.  He obviously wasn't a solution.  Let's also not discount the fact that he's been in the league for 10 years and only has 4 full seasons of played games.  As I said to your response at #1, you can't bang the injury issues of Murray and Alonzo and not say the same about Maclin or here in the case of Mathis.

4. Traded LeSean McCoy. You say McCoy is showing his age because he hasn't been great and he is hurt. Well, this would be a good thing for Chip, but then you realize who he traded him for and what he replaced him with. Kiko Alonso, who has already torn his ACL twice, is hurt again (shocker) and Demarco Murray, (who has injury history, as well) the younger (both are 27), cheaper (both are making $8 mil per year) 'upgrade' has been hilariously bad. McCoy hasn't even been good this year, and has still tripled his production.

Not every transaction works out well, and whether this does or not, it doesn't cripple the future of the franchise - which was the point of the post.  As players, Alonzo + Murray are better than McCoy, so that is an upgrade.  If it doesn't work out, so what?  Cut them and draft or sign someone else.  Neither Murray or Alonzo come with crippling contracts.

5. Made Byron Maxwell a top 5 paid CB. Quite possibly the biggest fail of them all. Chip went out and signed Maxwell to a 5 year, $50 mil + contract because their secondary was god awful. The only problem is, Maxwell is garbage himself. Eagles fans already can't stand this guy and it's hilarious watching him get burned. Seeing him smiling after getting burned by Terrance Williams to close out the Cowboys game really just makes me think he's about the money.

Maxwell isn't garbage.  Is he worth $10M, no, but that's what happens when players hit free agency.  Almost every free agent ever signed is over paid.  Maybe he is about the money, and maybe it was a bad signing, but don't come here and try and say that this move crippled the future of the team or even make it out to be that this is the only time something like this has ever happened in the NFL.  Hell, I can say the same thing for about 90% of the free agents the Bucs have signed over the last 20 years.  They're going to give him at least 2 years.  After that, he'll only have $6M of dead money.  That won't cripple any team.  So spare me.

6. Drafted Marcus Smith in the 1st round. On draft day, when it was announced who the Eagles took at #26, most people said 'WHO???'. Well, Smith hasn't proven these people wrong at all. He's been on the field for 77 snaps in his NFL career so far and can't even get playing time on a bad defense. This dude is an epic bust for a 1st rounder and Chip was the one who decided to make it.

Would you like a list of all the 1st round busts?  I can give you a much shorter list, only about 30 people long... I'll just limit it to Buccaneers.

I'm not going to mention DeSean Jackson as I think he is a headcase, but there are A LOT of Eagles fans who still hold that against Chip, as well. He might be injured this year, but he had a 1,000 season last year with garbage QB's throwing to him.

When healthy, Jackson has always been a solid receiver.  That said, I think you know where this one is heading...

Lovie hasn't really hurt the future of this team too much, IMO. Sure, last off-season we had a bunch of awful signings, but we've parted ways with them so they're not much of a problem now or for the future. We have a lot of young pieces on the offense to work with and the defense hasn't been worse than it was under Schiano (which is disappointing since Lovie is supposed to a defensive guru). If Winston turns out to be a bust and Mariota turns out to be a stud, then yes, Lovie did significantly hurt the future of this franchise, but we have a while until we know that.So, your hatred of Lovie Smith is once again blinding your judgement on this one. Trying to say Chip hasn't hurt the Eagles future just to fuel your hatred for Lovie.

The Winston pick alone, if Lovie is wrong, will cripple this franchise for 4 - 5 years.  FACT!  What "future potential" does this offense have?  Next year.  Let's just look at next year.  Who's our #2 WR?  Who's our #1 TE?  Who's our #1 RB?  Who will even be on the offensive line?  Yeah, our offense will thrive over 8 or 9 complete unknowns.  Outside of Winston and Evans, who can you say with total assurance will be starting next September?  The whole offense does hinge on Winston being the right pick.  Laws of averages say that #1 QB's hit what 50% of the time... 0% for the Bucs.  That's a risky gamble.Even as you admitted, the defense isn't worse... or better than under Schiano.  This is the same group that quit on Schiano too.  To note, David is worse under Lovie than Schiano.  So, if you have a defensive group that quit on the previous coach but aren't excelling under the new guy (a supposed defensive guru), what does that say about the player acquisitions and the game plan?  You're banging on Kelly's offensive moves after 4 games... and you're ok with Lovie's defense after 20?  I'm not saying Chip Kelly is a savior or genius... I don't care as I don't care about the Eagles.  That said, he hasn't crippled the future of the Eagles franchise.  Lovie Smith on the other hand as not improved our offense, he's not improved our defense, he's not improved our special teams.  What he has done is hinged the organizations future on a player (Winston), that he doesn't have the capability of coaching.  Personally, I think that's a lot more franchise crippling than what Kelly has done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice post RGS

If you like quantity over substance.  I remember long debates with him on how good Freeman was and how wrong I was for saying Freeman stunk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

scivf.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So, you’re banging the drum against Murray and Alonzo because of their injury history… and are excusing Maclin?  Okay….  Anyway, while the kid does have talent, I believe they replaced him quite adequately with Mattews.  They also added to the offense by drafting Agholor.  Agholor + Matthews for the pennies that they cost, plus potential production is much greater than the financial cost, headaches, and injury history of both Maclin and Jackson.  This is a sure fire win for Kelly on this front and can’t be seen as a negative.

Alonso has missed as many games in 3 seasons as Maclin has in 7... That is a pretty big difference. My knock on Murray is simply that he isn't much of an upgrade over McCoy, if he is at all. I brought up his injury past because you brought up McCoy's. Fact is, Murray has been hot garbage this year and McCoy has tripled his production thus far.How could you possibly say Matthews and Agholor is a 'sure fire win' over keeping Maclin and Jackson? Maclin is out producing Matthews in an offense that didn't throw a single TD to a WR last year, while Matthews plays in an offense that is very friendly to WR's (see Jeremy Maclin's numbers last year...). Agholor hasn't proven crap, yet he's seen as some huge positive in your eyes. He has 7 catches for 100 yards through 4 games lol... The TE on our team who you keep calling a nobody has outproduced him in 2 games this year.

You're basing this on the assumption that Bradford will be garbage... even though with the Rams, he was a pretty solid passer and showed signs that he was improving each year.  People complain that he's not accurate.  Well, he's completing passes as much or more than he was in St. Louis.  After the season, we'll see where he is.  I think he's adequate at the moment and will improve.  You're banking on the assumption that he's going to suck.  If he's a franchise QB, every Eagles fan will laugh that they got a franchise QB and a 5th round pick for a 2nd, 4th, and a bum like Foles.  You know I'm right too... as does everyone else.  I believe Bradford can be that.  We'll see if it works out.  Right now you can't call it a bad move because the potential is there that this more can be a franchise saving move.

I'm not saying Bradford is hot garbage, simply that he isn't an upgrade over Foles. Mark freaking Sanchez played better in this offense last year than Bradford has this year. I'll post all 3 QB's stats in Chip Kelly's offense:Foles: 21 games: 4,054 yards, 40 TD's, 12 INT's, 61.9% completion percentageSanchez: 9 games: 2,418 yards, 14 TD's, 11 INT's, 64.1% completion percentageBradford: 4 games: 948 yards, 6 TD's, 4 INT's, 60.7% completion percentageIf you think Foles is a bum, what the hell does that make Bradford?

No, I don't.  Their OLine sucked last year with him... so what if it sucks now.  He obviously wasn't a solution.  Let's also not discount the fact that he's been in the league for 10 years and only has 4 full seasons of played games.  As I said to your response at #1, you can't bang the injury issues of Murray and Alonzo and not say the same about Maclin or here in the case of Mathis.

Holy cow... you're truly just throwing stuff out of your ass. They had one of the best o-lines in the NFL last year. In fact, PFF ranked them as the #2 line in the NFL, just behind the Cowboys. There's NO WAY you can see you watched the Eagles last year and say that their o-line sucked. Sanchez had all day to throw, which is why he looked like such a competent QB. Mathis never really became a starter until 2011. He's missed 8 games since then, which is far from being injury prone. Saying he didn't have a positive impact on their o-line is an absolute joke. I believe PFF has graded him out pretty well this year in Denver too.

Not every transaction works out well, and whether this does or not, it doesn't cripple the future of the franchise - which was the point of the post.  As players, Alonzo + Murray are better than McCoy, so that is an upgrade.  If it doesn't work out, so what?  Cut them and draft or sign someone else.  Neither Murray or Alonzo come with crippling contracts.

You're right, it might not hurt them much in the long run, but it's just another example of a poor personal decision by Chip.

Maxwell isn't garbage.  Is he worth $10M, no, but that's what happens when players hit free agency.  Almost every free agent ever signed is over paid.  Maybe he is about the money, and maybe it was a bad signing, but don't come here and try and say that this move crippled the future of the team or even make it out to be that this is the only time something like this has ever happened in the NFL.  Hell, I can say the same thing for about 90% of the free agents the Bucs have signed over the last 20 years.  They're going to give him at least 2 years.  After that, he'll only have $6M of dead money.  That won't cripple any team.  So spare me.

He's pretty bad and not even close to being worth the price tag. He's been targeted a lot and has been roasted by pretty much everyone he's gone up against. If you want to read more about that you can here: http://nflspinzone.com/2015/10/09/philadelphia-eagles-byron-maxwell-has-been-the-weakest-link/Signing a player to this big of a contest does hurt the team's future. It's a waste of money they could be spending elsewhere and it forces them to waste at least another 2 years with at best, an average CB who is making top 5 money. In addition, this is just another move that shows Kelly's bad personal moves.I don't know why you keep comparing everything to the Bucs like it's a good thing for Chip. We have sucked at evaluating talent for years now. If he's making moves like the Bucs have recently, that is terrible and is exactly what you are complaining about with Lovie.

Would you like a list of all the 1st round busts?  I can give you a much shorter list, only about 30 people long... I'll just limit it to Buccaneers.

Again, why are you comparing him to the Bucs like this is some kind of good thing. You're trying to defend Chip's moves by bashing the Bucs. That doesn't make it any better. Regardless, I'm not sure we've had a 1st round pick in a while who can't even make his way onto the field on a bad unit after 20 games. Once again, chalk up another bad personal move for Chip.

When healthy, Jackson has always been a solid receiver.  That said, I think you know where this one is heading...

Like I said, I don't really blame Chip for this one. D-Jax is a headcase.

The Winston pick alone, if Lovie is wrong, will cripple this franchise for 4 - 5 years.  FACT!  What "future potential" does this offense have?  Next year.  Let's just look at next year.  Who's our #2 WR?  Who's our #1 TE?  Who's our #1 RB?  Who will even be on the offensive line?  Yeah, our offense will thrive over 8 or 9 complete unknowns.  Outside of Winston and Evans, who can you say with total assurance will be starting next September?  The whole offense does hinge on Winston being the right pick.  Laws of averages say that #1 QB's hit what 50% of the time... 0% for the Bucs.  That's a risky gamble.Even as you admitted, the defense isn't worse... or better than under Schiano.  This is the same group that quit on Schiano too.  To note, David is worse under Lovie than Schiano.  So, if you have a defensive group that quit on the previous coach but aren't excelling under the new guy (a supposed defensive guru), what does that say about the player acquisitions and the game plan?  You're banging on Kelly's offensive moves after 4 games... and you're ok with Lovie's defense after 20?  I'm not saying Chip Kelly is a savior or genius... I don't care as I don't care about the Eagles.  That said, he hasn't crippled the future of the Eagles franchise.  Lovie Smith on the other hand as not improved our offense, he's not improved our defense, he's not improved our special teams.  What he has done is hinged the organizations future on a player (Winston), that he doesn't have the capability of coaching.  Personally, I think that's a lot more franchise crippling than what Kelly has done.

I already said that if Winston busts, then Lovie has set the team back far. And if Winston succeeds, Lovie has set the team up great for the future and has gotten the first franchise QB this franchise has ever said.Winston, Evans, ASJ, Martin, Sims, Marpet and Smith is a good start for a nucleus on the offense. In addition, I think V-Jax will be back for another 2 years at least. L&L have added a good amount of young pieces into the offense over the past 2 years, and I think they are headed in the right direction.Regarding the defense, I already said that I agree with you. For being a defensive guru, Lovie should be getting more out of this defense. I don't think you can blame David's downfall completely on Lovie though. He's not the one who's making him miss easy tackles and dropping INT's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice post RGS

If you like quantity over substance.  I remember long debates with him on how good Freeman was and how wrong I was for saying Freeman stunk.

I have no problem admitting I was wrong regarding Freeman.I'm not sure you could say the same about thinking Marques Colston is better than Vincent Jackson though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice post RGS

I have no problem admitting I was wrong regarding Freeman.

Winston is probably going to be freeman 2.0, so i hope the people clamoring about him will do the same as you just did when the time comes.

Please wait…

• ZMan08151992

nice post RGS

Winston is probably going to be freeman 2.0, so i hope the people clamoring about him will do the same as you just did when the time comes.

How do you know this?

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

nice post RGS

How do you know this?

He's seen him play 4 whole games what other proof would he need to determine the outcome of his career.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He seems like a fish out of water. Some guys just are not cut out for the pro game.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

He seems like a fish out of water. Some guys just are not cut out for the pro game.

winston?  Agreed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s amazing how quickly people turn.  No perspective.I've been very skeptical of Kelly's offseason moves but they're not as bad as they're portrayed.  Few players Kelly cut have had success.  From this past offseason Maclin might be the only one (maybe Cary Williams).  And that assumes the Eagles could have paid FA Maclin what he wanted.  Mathis and Herreman have played very poorly (Herremans was last inactive), McCoy has been a dud, and Foles has been just as streaky as he was with the Eagles.While the Bradford trade is NOW clearly was a mistake, I don't mind taking a swing at the fences for the most important position.  You can't evaluate this decision purely with hindsight.  A mistake, but not one I have a problem with.I think what's really hurting the Eagles is that Kelly has on too many hats.  How do you manage playcalling, head coaching, and general managing?  Seems impossible.I still think Kelly has a chance to be a very good NFL coach if he doesn't bail, and if he delgates more responsibility.

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

Dude has back to back 10 win seasons. Where are all the former players preaching patience?With this guy you have patience, with a coach with 3 wins in 20 games you don't have patience

True, but it's becoming more evident that the Chipster pulled that off with a combination of a new gimmick on offense, and the remnants of Andy Reid. Now teams have figured out how to beat his offense, and all of the quality players that he inherited are gone. What's left behind is a hot mess.You can't even draw a comparison between Bucs fans and Eagles fans. They'll be burning him in effigy if they finish behind the Redskins, and last in the division.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice post RGS

I have no problem admitting I was wrong regarding Freeman.I'm not sure you could say the same about thinking Marques Colston is better than Vincent Jackson though.

At this point in time, Jackson absolutely is better than Colston, but I still stand by my statements when I made them... even said as much back then too.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Big win for Chip today so that gets him a little breathing room.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So, you're banging the drum against Murray and Alonzo because of their injury history... and are excusing Maclin?  Okay....  Anyway, while the kid does have talent, I believe they replaced him quite adequately with Mattews.  They also added to the offense by drafting Agholor.  Agholor + Matthews for the pennies that they cost, plus potential production is much greater than the financial cost, headaches, and injury history of both Maclin and Jackson.  This is a sure fire win for Kelly on this front and can't be seen as a negative.

Alonso has missed as many games in 3 seasons as Maclin has in 7... That is a pretty big difference. My knock on Murray is simply that he isn't much of an upgrade over McCoy, if he is at all. I brought up his injury past because you brought up McCoy's. Fact is, Murray has been hot garbage this year and McCoy has tripled his production thus far.How could you possibly say Matthews and Agholor is a 'sure fire win' over keeping Maclin and Jackson? Maclin is out producing Matthews in an offense that didn't throw a single TD to a WR last year, while Matthews plays in an offense that is very friendly to WR's (see Jeremy Maclin's numbers last year...). Agholor hasn't proven crap, yet he's seen as some huge positive in your eyes. He has 7 catches for 100 yards through 4 games lol... The TE on our team who you keep calling a nobody has outproduced him in 2 games this year.

I'm not saying Bradford is hot garbage, simply that he isn't an upgrade over Foles. Mark freaking Sanchez played better in this offense last year than Bradford has this year. I'll post all 3 QB's stats in Chip Kelly's offense:Foles: 21 games: 4,054 yards, 40 TD's, 12 INT's, 61.9% completion percentageSanchez: 9 games: 2,418 yards, 14 TD's, 11 INT's, 64.1% completion percentageBradford: 4 games: 948 yards, 6 TD's, 4 INT's, 60.7% completion percentageIf you think Foles is a bum, what the hell does that make Bradford?

Holy cow... you're truly just throwing stuff out of your ass. They had one of the best o-lines in the NFL last year. In fact, PFF ranked them as the #2 line in the NFL, just behind the Cowboys. There's NO WAY you can see you watched the Eagles last year and say that their o-line sucked. Sanchez had all day to throw, which is why he looked like such a competent QB. Mathis never really became a starter until 2011. He's missed 8 games since then, which is far from being injury prone. Saying he didn't have a positive impact on their o-line is an absolute joke. I believe PFF has graded him out pretty well this year in Denver too.

You're right, it might not hurt them much in the long run, but it's just another example of a poor personal decision by Chip.

He's pretty bad and not even close to being worth the price tag. He's been targeted a lot and has been roasted by pretty much everyone he's gone up against. If you want to read more about that you can here: http://nflspinzone.com/2015/10/09/philadelphia-eagles-byron-maxwell-has-been-the-weakest-link/Signing a player to this big of a contest does hurt the team's future. It's a waste of money they could be spending elsewhere and it forces them to waste at least another 2 years with at best, an average CB who is making top 5 money. In addition, this is just another move that shows Kelly's bad personal moves.I don't know why you keep comparing everything to the Bucs like it's a good thing for Chip. We have sucked at evaluating talent for years now. If he's making moves like the Bucs have recently, that is terrible and is exactly what you are complaining about with Lovie.

Again, why are you comparing him to the Bucs like this is some kind of good thing. You're trying to defend Chip's moves by bashing the Bucs. That doesn't make it any better. Regardless, I'm not sure we've had a 1st round pick in a while who can't even make his way onto the field on a bad unit after 20 games. Once again, chalk up another bad personal move for Chip.

Like I said, I don't really blame Chip for this one. D-Jax is a headcase.

I already said that if Winston busts, then Lovie has set the team back far. And if Winston succeeds, Lovie has set the team up great for the future and has gotten the first franchise QB this franchise has ever said.Winston, Evans, ASJ, Martin, Sims, Marpet and Smith is a good start for a nucleus on the offense. In addition, I think V-Jax will be back for another 2 years at least. L&L have added a good amount of young pieces into the offense over the past 2 years, and I think they are headed in the right direction.Regarding the defense, I already said that I agree with you. For being a defensive guru, Lovie should be getting more out of this defense. I don't think you can blame David's downfall completely on Lovie though. He's not the one who's making him miss easy tackles and dropping INT's.

My original point, as I made quite clearly in GT's post and initial response to you was simply that Kelly's moves did not wreck the Eagles future... and they didn't.  There is nothing going on with that team right now that says if this season doesn't work out, they're screwed for 5 years.  If things don't pan out... if they fire him after the season, they may stink next year if they get a high pick and draft a QB.  Essentially, they'll be where the Bucs are at right now.I think Lovie is doing far more damage because I don't think that the Glazers will fire him after the season and his coaching philosophy will stunt Winston's potential to be a franchise QB.  I think Lovie will try to turn him into Alex Smith.  If Lovie builds an elite defense (which I honestly don't think he's capable of), then fine - I just think it's an extremely risky gamble.  Lovie is setting this team up for many years of failure... Kelly, it's possible that it's one or even none.As I said, we can quibble over details or specifics about players, schemes, or performance but in the end, that's all personal opinion.  Whether Kelly's plan works or not will dictate whether his personnel moves worked, but even if it doesn't, he didn't wreck the Eagle future like GT said in his initial post.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whether Kelly's plan works or not will dictate whether his personnel moves worked, but even if it doesn't, he didn't wreck the Eagle future like GT said in his initial post.

you are right, no matter what, he probably wont have wrecked the eagles future.  but i think the Bucs appear to have a much more attactive young roster, whereas the eagles have chip kellys offense.it sounds more to me that you just dont like lovie/winston.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whether Kelly's plan works or not will dictate whether his personnel moves worked, but even if it doesn't, he didn't wreck the Eagle future like GT said in his initial post.

you are right, no matter what, he probably wont have wrecked the eagles future.  but i think the Bucs appear to have a much more attactive young roster, whereas the eagles have chip kellys offense.it sounds more to me that you just dont like lovie/winston.

I have absolutely no problem with Winston.  Said it many times... even before the draft.  I don't like Lovie AT ALL.  I think he's the worst coach in the NFL.  I'd take almost anyone (qualified), on this planet over him.  I have no faith in him what-so-ever to be a winning coach in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great thread, guys.  You see what you've done?http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/usc-sarkisian-leave-report-drunk-field-article-1.2393463

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To the original post assertion this is a worse prediction than Saban going to Texas.Kelly isn't going back to college.  USC like Texas is just blowing a lot of hot air ( IMO) fueled by a  bunch of USC fans in the media that think USC can get anyone they want.  Not buying it!Philly has been good the last 2 seasons and has as much chance as any NFC East team to win their division.  I can't stand Philly but that is a realistic assessment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To the original post assertion this is a worse prediction than Saban going to Texas.Kelly isn't going back to college.  USC like Texas is just blowing a lot of hot air ( IMO) fueled by a  bunch of USC fans in the media that think USC can get anyone they want.  Not buying it!Philly has been good the last 2 seasons and has as much chance as any NFC East team to win their division.  I can't stand Philly but that is a realistic assessment.

I don't know how true Chip to USC is but USC is definitely not "blowing hot air" about firing Sark.  Dude was gone at the end of the season since before the season started when he showed up drunk to the biggest booster meeting of the year and drunkenly raged "fight the f on".  Sark is an alcoholic who was never that good of a coach to begin with and will definitely be gone.

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

Sark is gone, he was fired today

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

I have absolutely no problem with Winston.  Said it many times... even before the draft.  I don't like Lovie AT ALL.  I think he's the worst coach in the NFL.  I'd take almost anyone (qualified), on this planet over him.  I have no faith in him what-so-ever to be a winning coach in the NFL.

What you call faith I would call pure ignorance. His career record says he's already a winning coach in the NFL. Not many coaches can make that claim.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Payton will be available after the season, and he won’t have any shortage of bidders. Miami, Philly and a few others. It will be interesting to see how the coaching carousel shakes out after the season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know how true Chip to USC is but USC is definitely not "blowing hot air" about firing Sark.  Dude was gone at the end of the season since before the season started when he showed up drunk to the biggest booster meeting of the year and drunkenly raged "fight the f on".  Sark is an alcoholic who was never that good of a coach to begin with and will definitely be gone.

Don't disagree on Sark being fired and out.  I just say Kelly is not going to be the USC head coach that all these talking heads and USC alums are claiming.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Payton will be available after the season, and he won't have any shortage of bidders. Miami, Philly and a few others. It will be interesting to see how the coaching carousel shakes out after the season.

Agree, I will tell you one thing, if the Bucs season went off the rails and the Glazers fired Lovie, I hope they would go after Payton. I think he could work wonders with Winston.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

weve already got ryan griffin on the roster.  we could trade winston and let payton reload with his guys like andrus peat, brandin cooks, stanley jean baptiste, and kenny vaccaro.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What you call faith I would call pure ignorance. His career record says he's already a winning coach in the NFL. Not many coaches can make that claim.

No, I call it... 'I've adapted to the style of the NFL game and Lovie hasn't'.  Proof of that, you saw in Chicago.  It's why he got fired.  Here's a coaching record for you, 4-17.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, I call it... 'I've adapted to the style of the NFL game and Lovie hasn't'.  Proof of that, you saw in Chicago.  It's why he got fired.  Here's a coaching record for you, 4-17.

He was fired after a 10 win season.  Few NFL coaches have had the success Lovie has had.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was fired after a 10 win season.  Few NFL coaches have had the success Lovie has had.

When the game wasn't as offensive as it is now, Lovie was perfectly fine as a HC, that's why he lasted through his QB carousel.  When the game became more offensive, his teams became very inconsistent, that's why he got fired.  He couldn't adapt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You had me on all the Eagles points you made. Then lost me when talking about the Bucs... It's crazy how fans know more about other teams then the team they claim they're a fan of....dude you know nothing about this team.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

You had me on all the Eagles points you made. Then lost me when talking about the Bucs... It's crazy how fans know more about other teams then the team they claim they're a fan of....dude you know nothing about this team.

He knows nothing about football in general. But that's not his real problem. The real problem is he actually thinks he is more knowledgeable than any other fan on this board. A real nut case.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Outside of Winston and Evans, who's starting next year on offense with this team and how confident are you in them?  We're talking here on October 15th, not in an assumed time warp.  We only know what we have now.  You can't base our future on your hope and speculation that players pan out.  I'm not counting injuries at all... simply about performance.Jackson has 1 year left and that's it.  He'll be gone after that and there's no WR waiting in the wings.ASJ can't stay on the fieldMartin's contract is up after this season and his career here has been very peak and vallySims has potential, but he also has problems staying on the field - I also am skeptical that he can be the lead back.Mankins is done.Smith and Marpet are rookies.  We don't know how they'll pan outCherilus is so-soEDS is fine.So we have 1/5 of an OLine that we know of who can be a solid player, a backfield with only question marks, no WR depth, and no confidence in a TE.  Lovie spent 2 drafts addressing offense, and we don't know what we have.  We're banking our offensive hopes on a HC that never had any success in putting together an offense.  To me, that's much more riskier than what Chip Kelly did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He knows nothing about football in general. But that's not his real problem. The real problem is he actually thinks he is more knowledgeable than any other fan on this board. A real nut case.

No, just a few select people who like to take someone's point, bastardize it into something it's not, then lambaste him for an argument he didn't even make.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie Smith is a clown compared to Chip Kelly period. And I don’t even like Chip that much.

Please wait…

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.