Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

The Cleveland Indians are now the Cleveland Guardians. I’m curious what the Dallas Cowboys new name will be. Thoughts?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

seems sort of insensitive to those without guardians, dont you think?

• Greattimes

Participant

I’m offended by anyone whose lifetime ambition is to be offended.

• seekpar

Participant

Notice they came up with a name that ends in the same 5 letters as Indians. Estupido.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Is this Dejavu?

Triggered by a name change again?

Go build a time machine and live in the 50s

• kenntak

Participant

Guardians? That’s a strange sci-fi sounding name. That’s the best they could do? What are they the guardians of, lol?

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

Another team succumbs to the cancel culture bullshit. If I were the Indians owner, I’d tell them to go fuck themselves.

• kenntak

Participant

I heard today that there are rumblings over changing the name of the Chiefs and Seminoles. One could say that Native Americans are, in certain ways, slowly being erased from history.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

You heard?

Lmfao

I love these takes…

A friend told me he heard from a guy that know a guy that knows say a YouTube video…

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I heard today that there are rumblings over changing the name of the Chiefs and Seminoles. One could say that Native Americans are, in certain ways, slowly being erased from history.

Are people trying to go after FSU again? FSU withstood the first wave of name changing years ago. The Florida Seminoles supported FSU, but a faction of Seminole in Oklahoma didn’t support FSU. Because the Seminole nation stood up and proved how FSU was working with the tribe and helping with college pathways dissuaded the NCAA from forcing them to change.

University of North Dakota had to change its name from Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks. There really isn’t much difference between Sioux and Seminoles. If Notre Dame can use Fighting Irish, then the adjective isn’t negative either.

History. If people don’t know it, then it’s bound to repeat.

• Donkey

Participant

Being I’m a 2nd generation Irish American (both my paternal grandparents were born there) I have to say I’m offended by the Fighting Irish name. I just hate those negative stereotypes. So much so it’s the reason I drink heavily.

• kenntak

Participant

Is this good enough for you FireLicht?:

“The Washington Football Team’s announcement that they will not be using Native American imagery is a major step towards reconciliation, justice and equality, but there’s still more work to be done,” said Crystal Echo Hawk, founder and executive director of Native American-led nonprofit IllumiNative. “This is a step in the right direction, we ask that the NFL, MLB and NHL urge the Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Braves and Chicago Blackhawks to follow Washington Football Team president Jason Wright’s lead in order to stand on the right side of history.”

In addition, the article states that a “coalition of Native American groups put up billboards in the Kansas City area to protest the tomahawk chop and Chiefs’ name.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-native-american-mascots-washington-football-team-20210713-iuhgj2gwzzbavnxuwyqzzqa6fq-story.html

Things seem to be evolving that way, and I am surprised you are not seeing it.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Not seeing it or asking you to cite your source?

You think I want every team name associated with native Americans changed?

I don’t…

Seminole isn’t disparaging. Zero problem with it and I disagree with folks trying to get that changed.

Chiefs I also disagree with changing.

Candidly, I don’t even care much about the Indians team name… it’s more so the absurd logo. Even then, don’t care much.

But REDSKINS is a stupid and racist name.

So calm your tits and realize it isn’t just two camps on this.

• kenntak

Participant

It’s really difficult to post on this site half the time. I tried to post several times, and my post got eaten. I also have no problem with the Seminoles and Chiefs, but I posted a link to an article arguing that the Seminoles’ name should be changed. The article is older, but I can certainly see people using those arguments today.

I also posted a link to an article on the 10 most controversial names in sports, and Seminoles and Chiefs were on the list. That was disappointing to see.

I’m too lazy to pull those links again. In any event, I would not be shocked if the Chiefs’ name and Seminoles’ name are changed within 3 years.

Does anyone else have problems with their posts to this site?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by kenntak.
      • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by kenntak.

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

Please explain to me why there was a need to change their name? Give me a solid reason. This is not progress, this is regression. This has to stop! Their name was based on respect to Indians. How is that a negative?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Regression? Lol…

It’s a business decision

• creamsicles

Participant

They missed a huge rebranding opportunity. They could have kept the name, but tured Ghana into their mascot and filled the stadium with curry vendors… second largest market in the would and their games could have become cultural destinations.

I guess now they’ll have to align with the Marvel universe.

• Jed

Participant

People just look for things to bitch about in today’s butt hurt world. If there were no team names associated with Native Americans there would be a huge call to do so.

• bucshot420

Participant

I wouldn’t be in the least bit if this was a monetary thing on the part of indigenous native Americans. Redskins I can see, because from their standpoint it can be construed as derogatory( I wouldn’t want a team named the “white skins”. I think it boils down to the fact that their heritage is being used as a logo/mascot that’s known all over the world, and they aren’t being compensated for it. However to say that it’s offensive when there are specific tribes being represented is ridiculous. Even as a gator fan I’d be upset if the seminoles changed their name for this reason, especially after getting the blessing of the chief of the Seminole tribe. And the Cleveland Indians changing the use of the Indians and chief wahoo. Okay so is there no longer ever going to be images of native Americans used for anything ? Also the braves and chiefs and even warriors to an extent is simply a position within their own hierarchy. Growing up in Sarasota i player peewee for the “ringling redskins” organization, but all of the individual teams from mighty might, to older kids were named after and paid homage to all the different Indian tribes (I played for Chippewa). So as I was saying I think it an I’m offended because I’m not getting paid for it situation more than anything.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by bucshot420.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

I wouldn’t be in the least bit if this was a monetary thing on the part of indigenous native Americans. Redskins I can see, because from their standpoint it can be construed as derogatory( I wouldn’t want a team named the “white skins”. I think it boils down to the fact that their heritage is being used as a logo/mascot that’s known all over the world, and they aren’t being compensated for it. However to say that it’s offensive when there are specific tribes being represented is ridiculous. Even as a gator fan I’d be upset if the seminoles changed their name for this reason, especially after getting the blessing of the chief of the Seminole tribe. And the Cleveland Indians changing the use of the Indians and chief wahoo. Okay so is there no longer ever going to be images of native Americans used for anything ? Also the braves and chiefs and even warriors to an extent is simply a position within their own hierarchy. Growing up in Sarasota i player peewee for the “ringling redskins” organization, but all of the individual teams from mighty might, to older kids were named after and paid homage to all the different Indian tribes (I played for Chippewa). So as I was saying I think it an I’m offended because I’m not getting paid for it situation more than anything.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by bucshot420.

the bottom line is that native Americans were not offended by redskins. It was white liberals who think they are making a difference.

i suppose if it makes them feel special it’s all worth while.

• Roy

Participant

The bottom line is that a private company decided to do what they thought was best for their bottom line.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Roy.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

The bottom line is that a private company decided to do what they thought was best for their bottom line.

because of the outcry and the environment we live in today.

you can’t ask questions in todays world. Somebody gets an adverse side effect from a covid vaccine and post about it and all of a sudden they are a deplorable. Instead of trying to alert people of the non-FDA approved experiment vaccine to try and educate it is seen as ignorant, etc.

so given the Redskins having other issues in the front office the best thing for the owner to do given the cancel culture was to change the name. I personally like the idea of keeping it “Football team”. It’s a big middle finger to the cancel culture but they aren’t smart enough to realize.

• Roy

Participant

Sometimes the cancel culture is a good thing, and sometimes it goes too far. But it takes two to tango, Badabing.

The pressure to change the Redskins was too great, but the Indians folded up pretty quickly. The Redskins is seen as a derogatory term. Indians is not really a derogatory term to most native Americans. Cleveland changed their disgusting logo and could have stuck to their guns about the name, but they chose to bail out of the controversy. It was a decision by a corporation to do what they thought was best for their bottom line.

My point is that the cancel culture is not just about those who do the pressuring, its also about those who are giving in, whether its changing a name, or ESPN removing a sports reporter from the NBA finals for making an insensitive remark. Do you think ESPN is a victim, or part of the problem? I’d say the latter.

These cancellations are being done for financial reasons at the end of the day by companies who are only concerned about their stock price, not what’s right or wrong. Don’t paint Cleveland as the victim here, they are active participants in the cancel culture. I don’t particularly think its a big deal. But if you want to cast blame, the Cleveland organization deserves as much of it for folding up under pressure as whoever is applying the pressure. That’s all I’m saying.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.