Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 12 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s about time someone over there figured out that Cousins at LT is playing with fire. Glad to see Dot get an extended look to close out the year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's about time someone over there figured out that Cousins at LT is playing with fire. Glad to see Dot get an extended look to close out the year.

Overall I thought his play at LT was pretty good.  No major mistakes..other than the false start….but it didn’t look like the pressure was coming from the left.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kudos to Lovie for this move. Many of us have wanted this move for some time.

• Anonymous

Inactive

MJ is worse at RDE than Collins is at LOT.  He should get the same treatment.  Let’s see if J Smith can play at RDE.Dotson did fairly well I thought.  Cousins got destroyed, predictably.  I think they should try Collins at ROT or ROG.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why don’t they just let him go?  We have to pay Collins anyway.  He doesn’t deserve to be at OBP.  Grab someone down at the boat docks; at least they can fight and fish.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah there are many reasons to hate Cousins, but his play at LT has been acceptable as a sub.  But Cousins/Gilkey have no business playing in the interior.Dotson seemed fine to me at LT and would make fixing the OL a lot more simpler if he can pull it off for the long haul.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have to give kudos to Lovie for making this move.  He seemed to play well, curious how he grades out and now let’s see some consistency.Am I losing my memory or did Collins play G for a while at the Bengals? I checked and couldn't find a record of it, so maybe I'm losing my mind.  I'd try him at guard anyways if coaches think he could play there.  Some guys just aren't built for it. Collins is also a great example of how having a couple quality players on your line makes a huge difference (and having an NFL caliber QB).  Just projecting players doesn't work, Collins got to play next to Whitworth (maybe the best OL in the NFL today, was an elite LT and LG) and had a QB that could get the ball out on time and step up in the pocket.  The good news to that is in my mind upgrading 2 spots on the OL with quality players elevates everyone else's play.

• Anonymous

Inactive

First thing I thought when I saw the lineup was “at least Tog will be excited.” I thought it was a good move, but predictably Bucs got ripped on twitter (Steve White, Buc Nation, etc.) for having Cousins at RT and in fact, some argued to move Dotson back because Charles Johnson was killing him. Damned if you do....To me, benching Collins sends much more of a message than cutting Gilkey. I don't see RG or RT being much of an option for Collins. Why? Because as I mentioned in another thread last week, there's a softness to his game this year that I can't stand and I'm skeptical that it gets better at a different spot. I agree with Tog - I think many people on the boards overstate the size of the overhaul needed for next year on the OL. Sometimes 1 or 2 guys can make a huge difference. Also, something the "Commish" pointed out on twitter - for all the "draft OL first" folks...Ask Tennessee how that's working out. And that's with Lewan playing pretty well from what I can gather.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Omameh has been a pleasant surprise and it would be good if Dotson can lock down LT for the long haul.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Omameh has been a pleasant surprise and it would be good if Dotson can lock down LT for the long haul.

The one question I haven't been able to answer for myself - is it that much better if Dotson locks down LT rather than RT?  Is the difference in the position that big?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the gap between the two positions is smaller than it was, say 10 years ago, because defenses flip the pass-rushers more frequently. Still, I think it wise to use Dotson at LT. Why?Teams tend to be "right-handed" when they run the ball.  There are a couple of implications that flow from that:1) Dotson's strengths are feet and arm length. He's not a mauler (though I believe PFF has given him solid run grades before). 2) Because teams run right-handed, often (obviously there are exceptions) the pass-rushers there are built differently than the guys on the other side because of the need to anchor. Skills/attributes to defend those guys are different than needed to stop the race-cars teams employ at RDE. There's also the issue of "blind-side" and teams (rightly or wrongly) preferring to put edge guys at  RDE. Need foot quickness and length to handle those guys.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good post BR.  You’ve answered my thought/question. For reference, PFF has given him mediocre run grades this year and very strong pass grades (5th overall IIRC). Last year he again had very strong pass grades and good run grades.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.