Monday, February 17, 2020

Comparison to Favre has to Stop (It’s Lazy and Ignorant)

Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    GottaJaboo
    Blocked

Production of Winston is off the charts. Those that want to turn the page on him are not Buc’s fans.

+7
    Rating: -2. From 16 votes.
    Please wait...

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M - "coaching can’t fix this".

Morgan
    Participant

Production of Winston is off the charts. Those that want to turn the page on him are not Buc’s  Winston fans.

———————————————————
    What’s his won-loss record as a starting qb in the NFL anyway?

+8
    Rating: +2. From 14 votes.
    Please wait...
    m_j
    Participant

I am going to  Atlanta game, will wave him farewell

+1
    Rating: -3. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
    kenntak
    Participant

So, you can’t question Winston’s play and still be a Bucs fan? What kind of view is that? By the way, the five teams with most passing yards this season are:

1.  Dallas

2.  Bucs

3.  Falcons

4.  Chiefs

5.  Chargers

Only one of those teams has a winning record.

+5
    Rating: +1. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

Are we really shaming people who are criticizing Winston?? Guy has turned the ball over way too many times. Is it really surprising people want him gone??

+6
    Rating: +4. From 8 votes.
    Please wait...
    Graham
    Participant

I clicked that “top lingerie of 2019” ad on accident. It was so much more enjoyable than reading this thread.

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    TBayXXXVII
    Participant

@jbear

The numbers I provided were from Cutler’s first 5 seasons, which coincidentally he had virtually the exact same amount of starts as Winston currently does right now. Also, anything you’ve heard about Winston’s “leadership” is clearly based on the fact that he’s still there. The team didn’t vote him team captain. DeSean Jackson wanted to be traded when the team was going back to Winston. Mike Evans said something to the effect of ‘It doesn’t matter who the QB is, I have a job to do.’ If he truly wanted Winston, he’d have legitimately backed him up.

Cutler put up numbers, so does Winston. Cutler didn’t help his team take the next step, neither does Winston. Cutler threw picks when his team needed scores, significantly more times than not, so does Winston. Cutler, like Winston, was a poor decision maker. Cutler, like Winston, did not have that “IT” factor. If you want this team to be a perennial 8-8 team every year, then yes, the Bucs should give Winston a long term deal… but don’t be upset when we bounce between 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 every year.

+4
    Rating: -1. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...
    Watchman
    Participant

Production of Winston is off the charts. Those that want to turn the page on him are not Buc’s fans.

I want to turn the page on him.  To be clear, I think Winston will be the Bucs QB next year, but I think it is time the Bucs move on – unless his next contract is discounted and incentive laden.  Winston’s next contract should be structured so that his frequency of rookie-like turnovers and bad decisions cost him $ and give the team more cap space.

I’m rooting for the team, not a specific player, and this isn’t fantasy football.  His production still includes far too many turnovers and doesn’t result in wins.  He is certainly capable of playing well in spurts, but that is typically at the end of the season when the Bucs have been eliminated from the playoffs (sound familiar).  That typically leads some fans to where we are now – “he’s figured it out” “he’s turned the corner” “he finally gets it”.  Same story different year.

I’ve been hoping Winston is the guy, after 5 years I’m convinced he’s not.  You disagree on my conclusion, that’s cool, but your opinion of my fan status is irrelevant. Winston throws for a lot of yards, throw TDs at a good clip, throws INTs at a similar clip.  None of that translates to W’s, and his turnovers are increasing not decreasing.  He has not improved as an NFL QB in 5 years, he wasn’t worth a +$100M contract when he was drafted, and he isn’t now.

For your next question – “what do you propose the team does?”  Start over at QB.  If there isn’t a QB the team likes in the draft, sign a bridge QB with a cap friendly contract for a year or two.  Bring back Fitzpatrick, he and Winston are the same QB.  The Bucs aren’t close to competing, they should be trading vets who have value and stockpiling draft picks.  Howard, Evans, etc. should all be traded.  However, if the team is going to go that route they need a new guy making the picks – that’s the rub.

Let’s hope I’m wrong and you are right, Winston is the guy and will lead the Bucs to the playoffs.  That’s the best outcome.

+6
    Rating: 0. From 12 votes.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

Agree. If Winston comes back and is really good? Outstanding! Right now though, doubters can still doubt. I mean hes turned the ball over a looott. People who arent at least a little skeptical really are Winston fans and not Buc fans..

+5
    Rating: +1. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...
    TCB2W!
    Participant

@TBayXXXVII

Uh, his uniform has the C on it. as clearly seen in this pic from the last game. How is he not team captain?

JW3 & ME13

Also you may be on to something. My friends think ME13 just doesn’t like Winston which is why ME13 seems like he isn’t making some effort we are used to. Like the fact that there have been two picks recently when they mentioned ME13 should have come back to the ball, or the one where he rounded off his route instead of a sharp cut in. Maybe ME13 just doesn’t want to put the effort for JW3. Who knows other than the locker room.

You can compare Cutler (oh no different NFL) and Favre to Jameis. Minnesota would have gone to the Super Bowl. But no, Favre wanted to be the hero and threw the pick. He wasn’t going to win on a stinking field goal. Jay Cutler wanted to be the hero which is why he threw deep at foolish times. That’s Jameis in a nutshell. Not only do we have to win, but he has to be the force that drives the team to victory. Anyways, no one could change Favre. No one could change Cutler who was called a gunslinger like Favre. 5 years and no one has changed Jameis. I think gunslinger is code for Superman complex.

+4
    Rating: +4. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by TCB2W!.
    kenntak
    Participant

I’m rooting for the team, not a specific player, and this isn’t fantasy football.

Well said. Not questioning someone that has double the average percentage rate after almost 5 seasons is not rationale. Winston has some fans who are blindly devoted. As Watchman, I am a Bucs fan, not a Winston fan.

I think if we keep Winston, his job has to be on the line. Would fear of losing his starting position, like Mariota, get him over the hump? Vinny ended up doing very well some seasons, maybe Winston can do the same. However, at his current rate, I am not seeing the improvement with Winston. If he stays, the QB position must be wide open, and there must be a good alternative to Winston, competing against him in a wide open competition for the starting position. I am not sure Arians would do that, as he is trying to make Winston feel secure as the starter. However, security has not improved Winston’s play.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by kenntak.
    Morgan
    Participant

Cutler, like Winston, did not have that “IT” factor. If you want this team to be a perennial 8-8 team every year, then yes, the Bucs should give Winston a long term deal… but don’t be upset when we bounce between 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 every year.

———

very well stated and I think Arians knows exactly what you’re talking about – I’d love to really know what Arians’ thoughts are about his qb- surprised you got a single downvote for your post there.

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    ghost
    Participant

You choosing “production” of a single player over wins of the team, just validates your goal in life is to swing seductively from winstons jockstrap

+6
    Rating: +5. From 7 votes.
    Please wait...
Viewing 13 posts - 76 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.