Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• Runole

Participant

Agree/disagree with Scott’s article

The comparison to Johnson when he was with the Bucs is fair as BJ was “a bit long in the tooth.” That being said NO WAY does he compare athletically to Johnson when he was in college. Better QB certainly! at college but athletically an emphatic NO!

• Greattimes

Participant

Not another Trask thread so the usual suspects can post misinformed opinions on Trask’s ability to play QB in the NFL.

• theknees

Participant

It doesn’t sound like Trask is the guy so far.

• buc-in-out

Participant

That’s correct, Brady’s our guy. You know, the old man you were saying was washed up, arm was finished, etc…

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Been watching the QB School on Trask on YouTube and some others. Trask is very good in short to intermediate as well as finding TE Pitts b/c why not? The common problem with Trask are two things: an extra hitch before he throws and not enough power in his throws. This works in CFB, but in the NFL where the DBs can run with the receivers, having a low thrown ball can result into an INT. Also, Trask relies too much on pre-determined receivers (or just Pitts) that he’ll forgo the open receiver under.

What all the QB scouts say about Trask is his footwork is amazing as it’s usually always a wide base. That’s a good start. With a year to red-shirt, hopefully Trask can improve adding more power in his throws for either increased velocity or velocity with loft so his deep passes aren’t flat.

Brad Johnson’s arm was better coming out of college than Trask. That’s my biggest concern about Trask is the lack of a big arm in the NFL, especially in this offense. If you look up this year’s Deep Ball Blitz, Brady had the most 20+ yard pass attempts in the league, IIRC, even more than Mahomes or Rodgers.

If we can work on Trask’s arm this year, then I’d be one happy camper b/c a big arm can help bail you out more often than not. Not that we will use a big arm all the time, but in those certain instances when you need a big arm is when it’s necessary, this includes hitting players in stride deep as opposed throwing it a bit short that negates YAC.

• buccnation

Participant

Maybe I am remembering things incorrectly but I believe Aaron Rodgers was considered to have a week arm when he entered the NFL. Maybe Trask can improve his arm strength like ARod did. Not comparing skillset to ARod obviously.

• TCB2W!

Participant

This was Bill Polian said on Rodgers when he was with Indy: “I see a guy who has good arm strength. I see some athletic ability. I see a guy who was pretty good with a good team. I see a guy who’s in a pretty efficient offense. Am I certain that he’s going to come in and lead my team to the Promised Land? I can’t say that. I’m not even sure I can say that about Alex Smith.”

So no, I don’t think the consensus was he had a weak arm. In fact none of the quotes I saw said he had a weak arm.

• buccnation

Participant

Yep you’re exactly right. I went back and looked at a few sites too and I never saw weak arm. Saw some say solid and Polian said good. I typed too soon.

• Runole

Participant

Not another Trask thread so the usual suspects can post misinformed opinions on Trask’s ability to play QB in the NFL.

Not my intention at all. I believe Trask was a good choice.

• Jed

Participant

That’s correct, Brady’s our guy. You know, the old man you were saying was washed up, arm was finished, etc…

Ahhhh the beating of theknees never gets old. Reminds me of Tonya Harding for some reason.

• SunnyD

Participant

A lot of scouting reports on Trask’s arm remind me of the scouting reports on Phillip Rivers. If you go back and look at some of those reports there were a lot of people that thought Rivers couldn’t throw deep and a lot of misgivings about his throwing motion.

But personally, I think the best prospect comparison for Trask is Chad Pennington – not BJ or Rivers. Gaudy college stats but serious questions about arm strength and mobility. Great accuracy and a winner.

It’s going to be interesting watching Trask develop. A lot of plugged in NFL people say arm strength is the most overrated atribute for QB prospect but I think that’s only true to a point. Obviously, if a guy’s arm is so weak he can’t make NFL throws it doesn’t matter how smart or accurate he may be. However’ I think the Mahomes and Josh Allens of the world have kind of placed an unreasonable expectation on arm strength amongst fans and teams. I think if Trask threw with just a little more velocity he would have been a top 20 pick just because of that Mahomes/Allen effect and not necessarily because it’s an essential trait to have success in the NFL.

We’ll find out in 2023.

• theknees

Participant

It’s his football IQ that is the most concerning. He simply isn’t very good at all at reading defenses. At UF, he never really had to. Mond was there, and we passed on him. Not good.

• BucHarbour

Participant

Now I know you don’t have a clue what you are talking about. He had to pre and post snap read defenses all the time. What the hell do you think all of the sets they ran with motion and bringing guys into alignments meant to tip defensive alignments off were for? He wasn’t running an RPO (though the spread option was definitely a component). Do yourself a favor and just stop commenting on QB’s. It’s getting ugly, and you just ruined Mond’s career (like Donkey noted). You’ve been wrong time and time again.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Mond was there, and we passed on him. Not good.

Mond’s career is now officially ruined.

Poor kid never had a chance.

• Kermit56

Participant

^^^^ LOL!!! ^^^^

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Kermit56.

• garfield

Participant

Trask can’t read defenses yet had nearly a 70% completion rate and only 8 INTs all season. Mond barely completed 60% of his passes in college, dude is garbage. College QBs with accuracy issues in college don’t translate well to the pros. I remember when people thought Jake Locker would magically be accurate just because reasons.

• Darktanian

Participant

When I hear Trask is comparable to Johnson, the first thing I think of is that makes good reads, and throws a fairly accurate, but wobbly pass.

• theknees

Participant

It’s interesting. Now that reporters are there to see the practices, it’s apparent that Trask isn’t as all world as some on here have been saying. I hope I am wrong but, it doesn’t sound great so far.

• Boid Fink

Participant

He is a limited upside backup development plan. Again, a wasted pick IMo. If you’re a gator chomp chomp honk, just keep to yourself. Not trying to start a pissing match with you honks, it’s how I feel.

• theknees

Participant

Trask can’t read defenses yet had nearly a 70% completion rate and only 8 INTs all season. Mond barely completed 60% of his passes in college, dude is garbage. College QBs with accuracy issues in college don’t translate well to the pros. I remember when people thought Jake Locker would magically be accurate just because reasons.

Yeah, Josh Allen has struggled with accuracy in the pros. It’s weird…

• Boid Fink

Participant

I keep thinking about how much protection Brady needs. And how they could have drafted a backup olineman in the event one of the starters goes down. I keep thinking how nice it would be to have a solid prospect waiting in the trenches would be such a benefit to the team and offense. I keep thinking about cap issues next year, and how plugging a second year player would have made sense. Particularly if they have good potential. I keep thinking of immediate contingency, and how developing a backup is laughable, when the Bucs should be shoring up for at least one more title, which would be amazing and cement this team as one of the greats.

Trask was a wasted pick. He isn’t the future, he is another wasted QB selection that will sell local homers more jerseys.

Really a short sighted, wasted pick. Trask is a fourth, fifth round prospect. Not a thing about his talent says otherwise, and that is that.

• Greattimes

Participant

From the second day of minicamp: Trask was 10-of-12 with an interception to Raven Greene off of the hands of a receiver in 11 vs. 11, and went 6-of-8 with four schools inside the 20-yard line.

• theknees

Participant

Coaches are having him play against the wind, to help him build his confidence. Same thing is happening up in Green Bay with Jordan Love.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Same thing is happening up in Green Bay with Jordan Love.

Sounds like Love is on his way to a HoF career.

• aquilus

Participant

This was Mel Kipers take on Tom Brady coming out of Michigan

Tom Brady, QB, Michigan (6-4¼, 211 pounds)

Overall: Fifth-round grade | Position rank: No. 10 quarterback

Smart, experienced big-game signal-caller, getting very high grades in the efficiency department this past season. Brady cut his interception total from ’98 in half, tossing 20 TD passes compared to just six interceptions. He threw for 2,586 yards, completing an impressive 62.8% of his aerials. For his efforts, Brady was named team MVP. After working as Brian Griese’s backup in ’97, Brady went on to start 25 straight games with the Wolverines.
      Editor’s Picks

Kiper’s 2020 NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Two rounds of picks and some QB chaos
      Kiper and McShay draft dueling 22-man superteams of NFL prospects
      Complete 2020 NFL draft order: Every pick from 1 to 255

He’s a straight dropback passer who stands tall in the pocket, doesn’t show nervous feet, and does a nice job working through his progressions. He’s not going to try to force the action, rarely trying to perform beyond his capability. He threw a TD pass in all 16 games he started against Big Ten opposition, while tossing 15 straight completions during the second half of action this past season against Michigan State. He’s accurate, throws a very catchable ball, and also knows when to take a little off the pass.

This past season, Brady completed over 60% of his passes in eight games. The only time he was really off the mark was against Penn State, when he completed just 17 of 36 passes, tossing two TD strikes compared to three interceptions. At the pro level, his lack of mobility could surface as a problem, and it will be interesting to see how he fares when forced to take more chances down the field.

Sure, he doesn’t have the total package of skills, but you have to be impressed with his level of performance this past season against Notre Dame (17-of-24), Wisconsin (17-of-27), Michigan State (30-of-41), Ohio State (17-of-27), and Alabama (34-of-46 for 369 yards and 4 TDs).

Combine note: Ran a 5.24 40-yard dash and had a 24½-inch vertical jump

Really who knows how well he will do. I trust Arians…he believes Trask is the real deal and right now thats all we know

• Trask Force

Participant

This was Mel Kipers take on Tom Brady coming out of Michigan

Tom Brady, QB, Michigan (6-4¼, 211 pounds)

Overall: Fifth-round grade | Position rank: No. 10 quarterback

Smart, experienced big-game signal-caller, getting very high grades in the efficiency department this past season. Brady cut his interception total from ’98 in half, tossing 20 TD passes compared to just six interceptions. He threw for 2,586 yards, completing an impressive 62.8% of his aerials. For his efforts, Brady was named team MVP. After working as Brian Griese’s backup in ’97, Brady went on to start 25 straight games with the Wolverines.
      Editor’s Picks

Kiper’s 2020 NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Two rounds of picks and some QB chaos
      Kiper and McShay draft dueling 22-man superteams of NFL prospects
      Complete 2020 NFL draft order: Every pick from 1 to 255

He’s a straight dropback passer who stands tall in the pocket, doesn’t show nervous feet, and does a nice job working through his progressions. He’s not going to try to force the action, rarely trying to perform beyond his capability. He threw a TD pass in all 16 games he started against Big Ten opposition, while tossing 15 straight completions during the second half of action this past season against Michigan State. He’s accurate, throws a very catchable ball, and also knows when to take a little off the pass.

This past season, Brady completed over 60% of his passes in eight games. The only time he was really off the mark was against Penn State, when he completed just 17 of 36 passes, tossing two TD strikes compared to three interceptions. At the pro level, his lack of mobility could surface as a problem, and it will be interesting to see how he fares when forced to take more chances down the field.

Sure, he doesn’t have the total package of skills, but you have to be impressed with his level of performance this past season against Notre Dame (17-of-24), Wisconsin (17-of-27), Michigan State (30-of-41), Ohio State (17-of-27), and Alabama (34-of-46 for 369 yards and 4 TDs).

Combine note: Ran a 5.24 40-yard dash and had a 24½-inch vertical jump

Really who knows how well he will do. I trust Arians…he believes Trask is the real deal and right now thats all we know

Sure I trust Arians to spin his answers. Look, Arians doesn’t lie, but he’s purposeful about what he says. He’ll pick and choose what facts he is going to focus on depending on what he’s trying to accomplish. He doesn’t just say whatever comes to his mind. So yes you can believe Trask is doing a good job so far, but don’t take too much out of it.

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

Trask is going to be just fine in a couple years after he gets used to the speed of the NFL. One thing he is very good at along with Tom Brady is reading defenses…. something Jameis couldn’t do which led to his 30 interceptions.

Trask won’t see the field this year, except in the first three preseason games. And hopefully we’ll see a lot of him in those.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.