Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• bucinsouthFL

Participant

Mike Evans has been mocked to Tampa is the majority of drafts since the release of Mike Williams, but is he a fit for the “speed in space” (haha the only quote we can make guesses from) offense? Don’t get me wrong, I love Mike Evans. I have been a fan of him at 7 since the end of the offseason. He is pretty much the same play as V Jax. He doesn’t really get great separation, but doesn’t really need it because of his elite size and body control. But his strength is not screens, slants, and the short quick game. Mike is not a Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dez Bryant kinda pick who is going to excel in any offense. I have worries about his talents being squandered if we pick him. Ironically the later WRs in the draft fit the speed in space thing almost perfectly (Cooks, Lee, Beckman). But those guys would be obvious reaches at 7. On the other hand however, if V Jax truly didn't fit what Tedford wanted to do, I think we would have traded him. Just wanted to know if any other posters have thought about this regarding Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keenan Allen isnt exactly a burner and he did well in Tedfords offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evans fits fine in almost any offense. You need that kinda guy that can take the best CB away from those speedy guys. The more I watch Evans the faster he actually looks. He could be the next TO, hopefully without the baggage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tedford should have no influence on this pick. This pick needs to be a 10+ year starter. Taking a guy or pass on a guy because he does or doesn’t fit the system is the wrong way to go about it. I don’t know what the average tenure of an offensive coordinator is but it can’t be long. Good ones get hired as Head Coaches and bad ones get fired. The average time Norv Turner spends on one team being OC is 1.6 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Evans actually gets good separation.  Vjax does too.  they are not as fast as some WRs, but they are fast for their size, and they usually do a good job moving guys off them in the initial contact zone 5 yards off the line.  I think he would fit in any offense.  I still have concerns that we don’t have that shifty, speedy guy, but Evans is a high first round draft pick caliber player.  I like Watkins and Brandin Cooks too, but I think Cooks is a late 1st early 2nd guy. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike is not a Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dez Bryant kinda pick who is going to excel in any offense. I have worries about his talents being squandered if we pick him. Ironically the later WRs in the draft fit the speed in space thing almost perfectly (Cooks, Lee, Beckman). But those guys would be obvious reaches at 7.

I wouldn't be so fast to say that. Evans is pretty ridiculous and has top 5 receiver talent. People get hung up on his speed but I wouldn't worry too much about it. He has great football speed and amazing hands. We'd be lucky to have him and Im sure Tedford drools when he sees him on film. That said, I don't think the Bucs are walking out of the draft with only one receiver.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s guys like Tiquan Underwood and Chris Owusu who have fast 40 times but don’t get anywhere near the amount of separation that Vjax does. I’m not concerned about speed. Vjax has looked good in the slot before in open space. If we can get a younger version of him, then i’m all for it. My only concerns are that he doesn’t really run good routes, and he maybe has character concerns. He’s not worth it at #7, we could have to trade down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evans has been mocked to Tampa is the majority of drafts since the release of Mike Williams, but is he a fit for the "speed in space" (haha the only quote we can make guesses from) offense? Don't get me wrong, I love Mike Evans. I have been a fan of him at 7 since the end of the offseason. He is pretty much the same play as V Jax. He doesn't really get great separation, but doesn't really need it because of his elite size and body control. But his strength is not screens, slants, and the short quick game. Mike is not a Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dez Bryant kinda pick who is going to excel in any offense. I have worries about his talents being squandered if we pick him. Ironically the later WRs in the draft fit the speed in space thing almost perfectly (Cooks, Lee, Beckman). But those guys would be obvious reaches at 7. On the other hand however, if V Jax truly didn't fit what Tedford wanted to do, I think we would have traded him. Just wanted to know if any other posters have thought about this regarding Evans.

A good coach adapts his scheme to fit great players. If Evans is a 'great' player, Tedford should be able to make it work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evans is a 4.5 guy. Not like he is a turtle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evans is a 4.5 guy. Not like he is a turtle.

Explosion in all directions is more important than pure speed. 4.5 is fine; the best ever, Jerry Rice, ran a 4.6 forty… I was unaware Evans had any character issues. I have read that about Watkins, tho’…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Both Evans and Jackson are downfield threats and big mismatch issues.  He runs a 4.5 and one of his combine runs was timed a 4.47…This guy is not slow.  I would not worry about it at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As long as we stay true to our own draft board I’m good.  The Bucs knew Williams was halfway through the ice from the start of the process. They already had their grades and targets established.  It’s called contingency planning.We could have 100 more threads like this and still miss big.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree that Evans would be fine in our offense. If he’s the pick, and they pick up another speedy guy, could next season be it for Vjax in a Bucs uni?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree that Evans would be fine in our offense. If he's the pick, and they pick up another speedy guy, could next season be it for Vjax in a Bucs uni?

We would save roughly 8 million by cutting him. Not sure saving 8 million and cutting a great #1 Wr is worth it. Vjax still has a lot left in the tank and doesn't rely on speed for his game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m a big fan of vjax, but his age is definitely coming into play.  I hope we don’t see a dropoff soon, but when it comes it may be significant and quick.  I think evans would be a solid pick since I don’t expect much more than 2 years of high quality play from VJax.  Even with speed in space, we’ll benefit from at least one big receiver.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Evans but I’d prefer to get Cooks in the 2nd who adds a real speed element to our game and is equivalent to DeSean Jackson is stature.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keep both Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. Find a slot WR

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Evans but I'd prefer to get Cooks in the 2nd who adds a real speed element to our game and is equivalent to DeSean Jackson is stature.

I don't think Cooks will be available in the 2nd.  Hope he is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Evans is the best overall WR this year. Watkins is great and has that 'speed in space" but we see these speed guys come and go every year out of college. The bigger guys seem to have more successfull careers.Evans is more than just a "big guy" though. Hes quick and LONG. Longer wingspan than every OL in the draft this year. Thats massive. Turns his 6'5" frame into a much larger target. Guy was born with Stickem on his mitts!Ive wanted JFF for a long time, but we need a WR now and I wouldnt thing twice about Evans at 7.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evans is a younger faster version of Vincent Jackson. Jackson is going to be 32 this year and Mike Evans would be VJ eventual replacement. Personally I think Evans is going to be better than Watkins. Evans has superior hands and body control. Watkins has the speed and hands but i’m not sold on him being a 10 year WR in this league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The more video of Evans I watch, the more I think that he’s going to be a top WR in the NFL. What I like a lot about Mike is that he has good hands, can be physical and block on a run and doesn’t get jammed at the line. He’s a bona fide #1 receiver in the making. If Watkins is gone and Evans is still there at #7 I’m going to be pretty upset if we don’t take him considering that with the Williams release our #1 weakness is clearly WR at this point. I still love Watkins, but Evans is going to be as good, but in a different way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans IS a baller, but we should see if we can trade down a couple of spots and nab him anyway, if there are no qb’s left of course.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we drop back and Still get Evans I like it, but not at 7.  7 has to be a core player, 10 years or better. WR and RB get hurt. Yes any player can get hurt, but when WR or RBs gets hurt they are so often done as stars. If we can not get a 10 year player at 7 then give us the picks. We can get two WRs with the extra picks and still get a 10 year OL player or even a QB with the one we get dropping back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would not be concerned with Evans at all. Watch his videos he does get seperation out of his breaks. He had a very good short shuttle time of 4.26. You can see it on video as well.Sammy Watkins by comparison had a 4.34 short shuttle.If you are looking for a speed in space guy look for Cooks 3.81 [outrageous number] or Beckham 3.94. But make no mistake ... those are slot WR's. Just because you need a slot WR doesnt mean you cant draft a true no.1 WR. Those are two different positions and having two great no.1 WR's would make our offense better overnight.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

VJax is great on and off the field.  Who better than him to mentor his clone?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

VJax is great on and off the field.  Who better than him to mentor his clone?

Agreed.....and he is a clone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i’m coming around to Evans…..s-l-o-w-l-y!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i'm coming around to Evans.....s-l-o-w-l-y!!

Come on over hate. This guy could be the best WR since Calvin Johnson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s TO without the attitude. Without him Johnny Football is a third day draft pick, if he’s drafted at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's TO without the attitude. Without him Johnny Football is a third day draft pick, if he's drafted at all.

Boom !! Manzielosexuals mad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Great prospect. Have him on my fave five. Manziel. Clowney. Watkins. Donald. Evans.5b Bridgewater. ^ he is a QB. And he helps fix the true weak link on the team, so I get it if the Bucs draft Bridge. Just not Carr please.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All these Mike Evans mentions now because of a pro day?Dude has always been the glue in the Manzeil mania.  If they have no QB in mind their...  Evans makes a lot of senseMike fits...  Need a spped guy then

Please wait…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.