Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

contend_zpsad2c9b0e.pngContenders or pretenders in the NFL?June 20, 2014 Chris Lemieux  The preseason is sneaking up and teams like the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are taking a serious look at the team they’ve built. Are these six teams contenders or pretenders in the NFL?Tampa Bay Buccaneerscontend1_zpsaa0aaadb.jpgMike Evans & Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix Tampa has been receiving a lot of media attention, mainly because they hired a proven head coach in Lovie Smith and nabbed one of the best WR’s in the 2014 NFL Draft.  In Mike Evans’ last year at Texas A&M, he averaged over 20 yards per catch and 12 touchdowns. Evans and Vincent Jackson will be the one-two punch on offense for the Bucs, and hopefully Doug Martin can regain the magic he once had.The quarterback situation may be in flux with the underwhelming Mike Glennon currently serving as a backup for journeyman Josh McCown, but both quarterbacks have shown moderate flashes of skill. If Lovie can get adequate production out of this defense and solid starts from the group of quarterbacks, the combination of Martin and Bobby Rainey will help push this team to a playoff berth.Verdict: ContenderHouston Texanscontend2_zps49489ee6.pngJadeveon Clowny The Texans drafted the cornerstone of their defense when they selected Jadeveon Clowney with the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft. The defense seems to be very solid with JJ Watt and Brian Cushing as a couple of the other stars, but the offense is the big question mark. The quarterback situation is a question itself, with head coach Bill O’Brien naming Ryan Fitzpatrick the starter over Case Keenum and newly drafted Tom Savage. Other than Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, the offense doesn’t have many other options to score points. Fitzpatrick is a serviceable quarterback, but he is by no means a player that can lead a team to the playoffs. If your team cannot outscore the opposition, it will be incredibly difficult to win games. Even though they had the first pick in the draft and picked a once-in-a-generation defensive player, their offensive struggles will lead to yet another year watching postseason football. Verdict: PretenderCleveland Brownscontend3_zps74e07f92.pngJohnny Manziel This team drafted a circus in the NFL draft. It may have been just one player, but that player happened to be very controversial this past year in college, both on the field and off of it. His play on the field proved he belonged in the upper class of quarterbacks, but his arrogant and flashy celebrations proved he might not be mature enough for the next level. Johnny Manziel just signed his rookie contract, so he is locked in long-term with the Browns. All the signs point to him claiming the starting job over Brian Hoyer either by the midpoint of this upcoming season or in 2015. However, the rest of his team is downright terrible. Josh Gordon is facing a year-long suspension and that leaves Andrew Hawkins and Jordan Cameron to catch the ball on offense. Ben Tate may prove to be a slight upgrade in the running game, but this team is just lacking the star power to make it all the way to the playoffs. Joe Haden, Justin Gilbert, and Donte Whitner will anchor the defense, but the offense does not have the star power and the Cleveland Manziels will once again agonize through another losing season. Verdict: PretendersCincinnati Bengalscontend4_zps14ecae81.pngAndy Dalton This team is quite interesting. They already have a young quarterback in Andy Dalton and he has been pretty good behind center for this team, but they drafted and signed AJ McCarron. This move may make the elder quarterback a little uncomfortable knowing the team may have drafted his successor so early, but Dalton had a 61 percent completion rate and 33 touchdowns to 20 interceptions in 2013, plus he also has an above average supporting cast. Gio Bernard had a pretty terrific rookie season, and he will be looking to capitalize on his success. If the defense can limit opposing offenses, this team very well could make the playoffs. Verdict: ContenderWashington Redskinscontend5_zps163157cc.pngRobert Griffin III The team out of Washington (their team name has been deemed offensive in some circles) may show major improvement over the course of a season.  They  had an off-season last year, but they acquired stud receiver DeSean Jackson, and they also have a pretty good quarterback in Robert Griffin III. Alfred Morris has shown he can be a bruising running back that can go in between tackles and gain valuable yards. Their defense may do just enough to allow their offense to show off its new look under first time head coach Jay Gruden. The addition of Jackson should allow RGIII more option plays and rollouts, and the flow of their offense should improve. However, Jay Gruden is a first time head coach and the pressure of the spotlight may overwhelm him, and that is where this team will suffer their downfall. Verdict: PretenderIndianapolis Coltscontend6_zps01ef0ae6.pngAndrew Luck The Colts have been good from the moment Andrew Luck stepped on the field. Everyone (myself included) thought that the Colts were doomed when they released arguably the greatest player in franchise history. However, Andrew Luck stepped into the massive hole created by Manning’s departure and filled in without missing a beat. The addition of veteran Hakeem Nicks to support rising stars T.Y Hilton and Griff Whalen solidifies the passing game,  but the running game is a little suspect. Trent Richardson has not lived up to expectations at all, and many viewed the trade that sent him to the Colts as a bust. Competition for the staring position from Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw may push him to be better, or else Andrew Luck will have to rely on his arm yet again this season. The defense may be a tad bit weak, however with Pep Hamilton joining the offensive coaching staff, the offense may put up enough points that the Colts defense may just have to deploy a “bend but not break” strategy to win games. Verdict: ContenderThere are many more teams (obvious and not so obvious) that are contenders for the postseason, but every year brings injuries and inconsistent play, so a team that may be a lock to make the playoffs in Week 5 may be watching the postseason from home like the rest of us.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Contenders if the new players acquired make a big impact.Pretenders if not.I think they're still a year or two away from being contenders.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Surprised the Colts are on this list, they’re fairly obviously contenders.If one of our two QBs steps up then there's no reason we can't be contenders.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with all 6 TBH.  Houston has a nice team but I have no idea what they are doing at the QB position. Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the offense can put up points consistently I love our chances. I’m more excepted this season than I have in a while.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Contenders if the new players acquired make a big impact.Pretenders if not.I think they're still a year or two away from being contenders.

Contenders if we get the Josh of last year. If he reverts to previous form and Glennon has to man the ship, we'll be pretending to get in the playoffs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously, the COLTS?Who in the AFC South is going to stop them running away with the division?The Jags, hahahahahaThe Texans, really, Fitzpatrick is starting and the next best guy at QB is seemingly a fan seat 38E.The Titans, they may be the best bet but Locker isn't exactly great during the 3 or 4 games he stays healthy for and who's next up, Whitehurst?The Colts have a good team and are in maybe the biggest cakewalk of a division in the league, if they miss the playoffs something went wrong big time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie is here.  We are contenders.  Simple as that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Contenders if we get the Josh of last year. If he reverts to previous form and Glennon has to man the ship, we'll be pretending to get in the playoffs.

Hate gonna hate....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've got mad love for Lovie....but can he play QB?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are in great hands at the QB spot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I laughed at this... so does the rest of the NFL, people who are in the know, know this team is still bad at the QB spot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I laughed at this... so does the rest of the NFL, people who are in the know, know this team is still bad at the QB spot.

People in the know?? Like Lovie and Licht?  Do you just wake up everyday and take a handful of stupid pills?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

People in the know?? Like Lovie and Licht?  Do you just wake up everyday and take a handful of stupid pills?

Lovie knows defense.. he doesn't know QB's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie knows defense.. he doesn't know QB's.

You are so money on this board!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I expect McCown to light it up this year. He's in a great situation in his prime, now playing with a lot of confidence.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10lbbass is one of about 10 people that watch the NFL that feel good about our QB situation. Not many people are in love with Glennon and as it has been proven he already cost one coach his job.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10lbbass is one of about 10 people that watch the NFL that feel good about our QB situation. Not many people are in love with Glennon and as it has been proven he already cost one coach his job.

Yeah, rookie record holder, crappy supporting cast, poor coaching, let's move on..............

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, rookie record holder, crappy supporting cast, poor coaching, let's move on..............

The numbers are meaningless, the coach that LOVED him got fired... Schiano stating that Glennon was the starter next season was what got his butt fired. Glennon is 100% garbage. Before you came along I didn't like him as a QB, but his fanboi has made me hate Glennon all around.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown should have all the weapons he needs on offense. I doubt he’ll stay on the pace he had last season, but he should be pretty productive and field a respectable offense. If Lovie can work his magic with the defense, we should definitely be in the hunt for a playoff berth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Before you came along I didn't like him as a QB, but his fanboi has made me hate Glennon all around.

That's some real sound reasoning there.  ::)Shouldn't be off watching wrasslin or cooking meth?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The numbers are meaningless, the coach that LOVED him got fired... Schiano stating that Glennon was the starter next season was what got his butt fired. Glennon is 100% garbage. Before you came along I didn't like him as a QB, but his fanboi has made me hate Glennon all around.

You are nails on all things Buccaneer.  Preach on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most yards in a 3 game stretch where he was throwing 40+ times a game. Not sure that's a record to wave around like say, rookie tds, rookie wins, rookie season yards, rookie Qbr, etc. josh freeman also held more glamorous records. If that's your beacon of hope, I fell bad for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure Ive ever seen a thread full of posts that dont show up while im logged in..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lolz. That was funny...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I chuckle every time i read that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd love to know why a fact makes you laugh.  In the context of everything that went on last season, wouldn't you say the fact that he was the first to do something before any other rookie QB ever, is pretty astounding??  Hate the guy as you do but doesn't he deserve a little credit?

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

contenders

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown, Evans, ASJ, Sims, Wright, Martin, VJax, and of course Lovie. We should be playoff contenders. Our line is the big question mark.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a word about your boy Freeman?  He's the reason Rah, Schiano and Dom are all gone. Hell, you might even consider Leslie Frasier collateral damage.BTW, Glennon has a NFL roster spot now and acquitted himself nicely given his circumstances last year. Freeman? Fired again, not even good enough to be a training camp arm.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a word about your boy Freeman?  He's the reason Rah, Schiano and Dom are all gone. Hell, you might even consider Leslie Frasier collateral damage.BTW, Glennon has a NFL roster spot now and acquitted himself nicely given his circumstances last year. Freeman? Fired again, not even good enough to be a training camp arm.

You could argue Freeman is the reason Dom is gone, but that's about it. And even then, that's a poor argument because it's not like Dom deserves to be anywhere. Rah is gone because he lost the team, and Schiano is gone because he was too stubborn. @ Milton, Saying Glennon is the reason Schiano got fired is ridiculous. He wasn't great, but it's not like he completely shit the bed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still trying to figure out if being a dumbass is just Milton’s trolling technique or if he actually is this dumb…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see a scenario where the offense thrives but a little later in the season.  We have a weak stretch that includes the Vikings, Browns, Falcons and Redskins.  I think we will pick up steam there and close out the season strong.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd love to know why a fact makes you laugh.  In the context of everything that went on last season, wouldn't you say the fact that he was the first to do something before any other rookie QB ever, is pretty astounding??  Hate the guy as you do but doesn't he deserve a little credit?

I prefer to not cherry pick one insignificant stat but rather judge him on his entire body of work. The fact remains that he was a intricate part of the worst offense in the league last year and that "record" is about as astounding as Carnell's shoes in the HOF. #notimpressed

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

This is the Glennon Board

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown, Evans, ASJ, Sims, Wright, Martin, VJax, and of course Lovie. We should be playoff contenders. Our line is the big question mark.

That's a very big and important question mark.If both lines perform poorly the Bucs stay pretenders.

Please wait…

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.