Cook in the Hook getting it wrong about Winston?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    10lbbass
    Participant

I honestly don’t think Winston is worth or will get paid more than the Tag cost. I’m sure the agent is daring the Bucs to use the tag so it resets his price tag higher. Bucs are floating rumors to see what options are behind door #2 before deciding on if they will exercise the tag. I don’t see a long term deal getting done with the Bucs. It’s either Tag or walk at this point.

He’s getting a long term deal.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

DonkeyHunter
    Participant
    He’s getting a long term deal.

You said he was gone.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

@Biggs353 FYI to you:  The 2nd tag is 120% of the first tag.  So multiply $27 million x 120% = $32 million.   So sure if you want to pay Winston $32.4 million.  Its not even worth considering.  That’s why realistically its one year.  Hope that helps.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    10lbbass
    Participant

@Donkeyhunter – Nope.  Not at all.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

Nope. Not at all.

Really?

Looks like we have some Gator honks in the comments here. Funny. Winston is done in Tampa but, like many before him, he has simply used Tampa as he elevates towards greatness elsewhere. Lolz at off the field problems. Idiot.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Biggs3535
    Participant

@Biggs353 FYI to you: The 2nd tag is 120% of the first tag. So multiply $27 million x 120% = $32 million. So sure if you want to pay Winston $32.4 million. Its not even worth considering. That’s why realistically its one year. Hope that helps.

I’m aware at how the Franchise tag works.  Glad you did some research for yourself to find out it can be longer than one year.

The Buccaneers will decide if they want to keep Winston or not, whether you’d like to acknowledge that fact or not.  If they do, they will sign him to deal both parties like or they will tag him.  It’s not that difficult.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    LIBucsFan93
    Participant

Hypothetical. What if the Bucs tag Winston and the Bucs pass up on any FA QB. Then Winston doesn’t sign his Tag and holds out for a new contract. Then the Bucs are screwed because they would then be forced to draft a rookie at 14. Who would be available at that point is a huge unknown.

If I were the GM of the Bucs I’d sign or tag Barrett, sign Suh and JPP. Try to sign Bridgewater or Rivers. Brady is a Dream. Add a young OT like Jack Conklin. Then in the draft add another OT, RB and DE/DT in no specific order rounds 1-3.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TB-BucFan4Life
    Participant

@Biggs353 FYI to you: The 2nd tag is 120% of the first tag. So multiply $27 million x 120% = $32 million. So sure if you want to pay Winston $32.4 million. Its not even worth considering. That’s why realistically its one year. Hope that helps.

That’s the point of the tag. If Jameis proves that he is worthy then the Bucs can work on a new deal. If Jameis wants to bolt then the Bucs can franchise him again if all else fails.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TB-BucFan4Life
    Participant

In his “Hook” article Mark Cook states that the Bucs are “playing with fire” if they let Winston walk, but its “less than 50-50” that Winston returns. The article is based on the assumption that Winston wants to stay. You know what they say about assuming. He’s not alone, because the prevailing opinion seems to be that the Bucs have a decision to make. Well it takes two to tango. and I think we need to be looking at the other side of the table if we want to understand what’s really going on.

Shaq Barrett says I’m gonna get paid but all things being equal I’d love to stay in Tampa Bay. So he’s going to take the best offer, but he’s saying the right things. We all understand its a business. Oh by the way, where are the Winston quotes talking about how much he wants to stay in Tampa?

Winston hired big time agent Joel Segal who represents Khalil Mack for one. Winston hired him for a reason: To get paid. That’s why you hire a guy like Segal.

My crystal ball says he told Winston: “Let me handle this. This is a business. Hire me and I’m going to get you paid.” And my crystal ball also tells me what Winston didn’t say: “Oh no, I love Tampa so much, I just have to stay here! Make it happen!” Winston’s did say: “You’re hired.” Segal knows what he can get for Jameis and IMO it doesn’t involve the Buccaneers.

Pussyfooting around with the Bucs trying to work a team friendly deal without a lot of guaranteed money isn’t what Segal is interested in, because he knows what he can get elsewhere. That’s why Segal is putting out a high contract demand. Its not that he thinks he’ll get that much money exactly. Its just about getting Winston out onto the open market and he knows that market pretty well. That’s his job.

This isn’t about a decision the Bucs have to make. Its about a decision that Winston and his new agent have probably already made. Winston is getting out. It’s not because he doesn’t like Tampa Bay. Its just business and the deal will be better elsewhere.

Less than 50-50 to retain Winston? Where are you getting your information?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

If they’re going tag Winston, it’s going to happen between February 25th and
    March 10th.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TB-BucFan4Life
    Participant

If they’re going tag Winston, it’s going to happen between February 25th and

March 10th.

They will only tag him if contract talks fail. Tagging is a last resort and both sides want a new deal. Just a matter of how far apart they are. JMHO

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Mic
    Participant

im pretty positive Bucs are the only team out there willing to sign him long term what fan wants an inconsistent guy long term for 30m the front office is gone if he doesn’t work out. He has the longest leash he will find here in Tampa

If we offer a longterm deal he should take it unless he wants to bet on himself and go to a team where he won’t have the excuses and be journeyman backup if he fails

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    10lbbass
    Participant

im pretty positive Bucs are the only team out there willing to sign him long term what fan wants an inconsistent guy long term for 30m the front office is gone if he doesn’t work out. He has the longest leash he will find here in Tampa

If we offer a longterm deal he should take it unless he wants to bet on himself and go to a team where he won’t have the excuses and be journeyman backup if he fails

You are a football rube.  Jump off the board and go play dungeons and dragons.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

Less than 50-50 to retain Winston? Where are you getting your information?

That would be Mark Cook from the article in question, although I did misquote him.  He actually said “50-50 at best”.   My bad.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    FireLicht2020
    Participant

Jaboo why did you change your screen name back to the old one?

And why do you keep getting caught in your lies over and over?

What the Bucs will do and what they SHOULD do are two different things. I hope Licht plays this well but I have exactly zero faith in him maybe he gets played and we get stuck with an atrocious Winston contract… who knows.

What SHOULD happen – we posture on Rivers and/or Brady. Then wait as long as we can to tag Winston or give him a 3 year deal with a team option on the 3rd year. Have the contract be front loaded and give it a TON of incentives so Winston CAN make himself the highest paid QB if he call “ball out” like he said he’s been doing (lol).

Tell him we are debating a vet QB with better ball security but that we still see potential for him to be here long-term… BUT he has to earn it. He hasn’t played like a top 15 QB so no way we can afford to pay him that AND compete. Give it to him straight.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.