Viewing 60 reply threads

• Author

• cyberdude558

Participant

NFL Hall of Famer Cris Carter is under fire over a speech he and fellow Hall of Famer Warren Sapp gave at the NFL Rookie Symposium in 2014.Video of Carter's speech surfaced after a recent ESPN the Magazine profile on ex-49ers linebacker Chris Borland.In the interview, Borland mentioned an unnamed former player who told rookies to get "a fall guy" if they decided to run afoul of the law.It didn't take long before someone found video posted online at NFL.com of Carter and Sapp giving a speech to rookies in 2014 where Carter passed along the message to the rookies."Just in case y'all not going to decide to do the right thing, if y'all got a crew, you got to have a 'fall guy' in the crew," Carter said.The video has since been deleted from the NFL's website, although the clip of Carter doling out that specific piece of advice still exists on the Internet.Carter's message also included the lesson on how "to get around" getting in trouble."I let my own boys know … y'all want to keep rolling like this," Carter says in the video. "Then I need to know who's going to be the fall guy, who's going to be driving. Y'all not going to do all the right stuff now. I got to teach y'all how to get around all this stuff."http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25278603/cris-carter-told-nfl-rooks-to-get-a-fall-guy-nfl-says-inappropriate

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and right on cue, he issues an apology. How can any intelligent man in his position make such a statement publicly?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and right on cue, he issues an apology. How can any intelligent man in his position make such a statement publicly?

Cris Carter has never proven himself to an intelligent man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLw2ddpM7U

Even Sapp is looking at him at the end of the video with a strange look. Didn't Sapp have a "fall guy" one time during a traffic stop in Tampa were they found weed in the car?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the guy isn't stupid. Funny thing is the NFL had no problem with the vid being on their website for a year and a half.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the guy isn't stupid. Funny thing is the NFL had no problem with the vid being on their website for a year and a half.

Hmmm....maybe the NFL is stupid.  ;D

Please wait…

• vlagatta

sickening watching the game I have loved for so many years deteriorate more and more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

sickening watching the game I have loved for so many years deteriorate more and more.

If it helps, it's highly unlikely that this is new and hasn't been a common practice going back years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The game is for everyone, not just saints.He wouldve been a d!@k#3ad at another job if he had not played football. Probably, and ironically, telemarketing nonetheless.As the saying goes, ..dont hate the game, hate the playa. Lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well he did drink like a fish for years and years. Brain damaged?That's the only thing I can think of... Because I would HATE to think that Cris Carter is nothing but a phony...a two faced thug wannabe. He might as well start drinking again if he is going to say stupid isht, at least he has an excuse then...Lost so much respect for that kid. Almost all of it. A "Fall-Guy"?  Criminal activity?  Can't take the idiot out of his voice box forever I see.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Chris needs that Fall Guy right about now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a very serious aspect of the story imo.  Does the league not have any supervision of their rookie symposium?  I don't understand how any responsible adult could hear that and not report it to the league (not talking about the rookies).  It is almost like no one actually listened to it.  The audio is not ambiguous and it is not being taken out of a larger context.  Cris Carter is advising rookies how to break the law, and Sapp is agreeing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think he’s advising how to break the law. He’s say IF you are going to have a crew that you’re going to bank roll then at least have a fall guy. Sounds like he was saying don’t have one because it’ll get you into trouble.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think he's advising how to break the law. He's say IF you are going to have a crew that you're going to bank roll then at least have a fall guy. Sounds like he was saying don't have one because it'll get you into trouble.

just from what ive read, it sounds like he was saying it is OKAY to break the law, if you have a fall guy with you.  all while wearing his HOF jacket?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

wrong thread?  thought this was about a speech?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bankroll a crew?Fall guy?WTF???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know Chris Borland isn’t making any friends in the NFL.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

If it helps, it's highly unlikely that this is new and hasn't been a common practice going back years.

It's actually a principle called hush-money and it's been going on forever and a day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think he's advising how to break the law. He's say IF you are going to have a crew that you're going to bank roll then at least have a fall guy. Sounds like he was saying don't have one because it'll get you into trouble.

The audio, with Warren chiming in, is available.  Your interpretation does not line up in any way with the words Cris Carter is speaking.  People may want to believe there is no way he would advise players how to avoid penalty for criminal activity falling back on them at an NFL rookie symposium, but that is exactly and unequivocally what he was doing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I mean, if you’re going to dumb stuff, Carter’s absolutely right. The better message would have been don’t do dumb stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

it's the same you just get more news/information now. can you imagine in the early 90's you would have been seeing a video of guys every day blowing lines off hookers tits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know Chris Borland isn't making any friends in the NFL.

NONE!!!I can respect the guy's beliefs but don't try to force it on everyone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess I’m in the  minority here, but I don’t see any issue with what he said. You really think a bunch of 20-something instant millionaires aren’t about to go out and party and act like a fool? Well, good for you. What Cris is saying basically boils down to, “Hey, you’re gonna do stupid shit because you’re young, rich idiots so at least have someone with you to take the blame.”Do I like that he has to say it? Of course not. But he's advising them to protect their brand and that's just smart business.You can have Carter go up there and talk to them about not being  young and dumb but the problem is that their all young and dumb (like 99% of people are at that age) so at least give them some advice that's going to help them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know Chris Borland isn't making any friends in the NFL.

NONE!!!I can respect the guy's beliefs but don't try to force it on everyone.

seriously he needs to just go become a monk and take his vow of silence.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do I like that he has to say it? Of course not. But he's advising them to protect their brand and that's just smart business.You can have Carter go up there and talk to them about not being  young and dumb but the problem is that their all young and dumb (like 99% of people are at that age) so at least give them some advice that's going to help them.

wouldnt it be better for their “brand” to not break the law?  to not party their bodies?  to not do anything that you would need a fall guy?    how is that smart business?some good advice would be to NOT NEED A FALL GUY.  stop trying to promote the persona of tough guy and promote the brand of responsibility - rather than the brand of selling out your "friend" for your personal gain.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess I'm in the  minority here, but I don't see any issue with what he said. You really think a bunch of 20-something instant millionaires aren't about to go out and party and act like a fool? Well, good for you. What Cris is saying basically boils down to, "Hey, you're gonna do stupid (censored) because you're young, rich idiots so at least have someone with you to take the blame."Do I like that he has to say it? Of course not. But he's advising them to protect their brand and that's just smart business.You can have Carter go up there and talk to them about not being  young and dumb but the problem is that their all young and dumb (like 99% of people are at that age) so at least give them some advice that's going to help them.

I think the problem  is he's at an NFL sponsored event telling NFL rookies how to get away with a crime or trouble. He didn't say don't do it, he said if you do it have someone else take the fall for your already entitled ass. If he gave that same piece of advice on the side to a young buddy of his, then that's just friendly advice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess I'm in the  minority here, but I don't see any issue with what he said. You really think a bunch of 20-something instant millionaires aren't about to go out and party and act like a fool? Well, good for you. What Cris is saying basically boils down to, "Hey, you're gonna do stupid (censored) because you're young, rich idiots so at least have someone with you to take the blame."Do I like that he has to say it? Of course not. But he's advising them to protect their brand and that's just smart business.You can have Carter go up there and talk to them about not being  young and dumb but the problem is that their all young and dumb (like 99% of people are at that age) so at least give them some advice that's going to help them.

I have no problem at all with what he said.....this is real life. I just a problem with the setting in which he said it. In today's PC society, you've gotta be smarter than that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have no problem at all with what he said.....this is real life. I just a problem with the setting in which he said it. In today's PC society, you've gotta be smarter than that.

And by PC society, you mean one that doesn't condone illegal behavior? One that is not tolerant of entitled athletes believing the law doesn't apply to them? Maybe you should have a problem with it.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Do I like that he has to say it? Of course not. But he's advising them to protect their brand and that's just smart business.You can have Carter go up there and talk to them about not being  young and dumb but the problem is that their all young and dumb (like 99% of people are at that age) so at least give them some advice that's going to help them.

wouldnt it be better for their "brand" to not break the law?  to not party their bodies?  to not do anything that you would need a fall guy?    how is that smart business?some good advice would be to NOT NEED A FALL GUY.  stop trying to promote the persona of tough guy and promote the brand of responsibility - rather than the brand of selling out your "friend" for your personal gain.

Is it better to not get in trouble? Of course. Realistically will some of them do stupid crap and get in trouble? Yes. This part of the talk is for those guys. When you do stupid crap at least protect your brand.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

If I'm the NFL in the future we confiscate all phones and recording devices. Nothing wrong with his message because it's realistic. From a PR standpoint Chris Borland has made it a nightmare though. Chris Carter has to be smarter about that. This story is wrecking the view some fans like to keep of the "upstanding" NFL players. Reality generally doesn't fit the person we think we see on Sunday. Remember when Marvin Harrison was THE example of doing things the right way (and T.O. & Ochocinco were what is wrong with the NFL lol)?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So “protect your brand” is now synonymous with provide false witness under oath?  I need to get me a brand to protect. I'm pretty sure most major companies have similar seminars for their fresh from college employees.Don't forget kids, if you crash your car drunk, get the fuck out of there.  You can always make up a story later.  Just don't let the cops catch your ass on the scene.  Protect your brand people.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I'm the NFL in the future we confiscate all phones and recording devices. Nothing wrong with his message because it's realistic. From a PR standpoint Chris Borland has made it a nightmare though. Chris Carter has to be smarter about that. This story is wrecking the view some fans like to keep of the "upstanding" NFL players. Reality generally doesn't fit the person we think we see on Sunday. Remember when Marvin Harrison was THE example of doing things the right way (and T.O. & Ochocinco were what is wrong with the NFL lol)?

BINGO!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message?  That they are the most important thing?  No truth, honesty, integrity, moral values, ethics, etc could be more important than their availability to play professional football?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message? 

The message is if you're gonna have these clowns leaching off of you for the duration of your career, you better know who's gonna fall on the sword when shlt hits the fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

wouldnt it be better for their "brand" to not break the law?  to not party their bodies?  to not do anything that you would need a fall guy?    how is that smart business?some good advice would be to NOT NEED A FALL GUY.  stop trying to promote the persona of tough guy and promote the brand of responsibility - rather than the brand of selling out your "friend" for your personal gain.

Is it better to not get in trouble? Of course. Realistically will some of them do stupid crap and get in trouble? Yes. This part of the talk is for those guys. When you do stupid crap at least protect your brand.

Thats not an NFL sponsored message. Plain and simple, if you're there representing the league then that can't be your message. If they were out at the bar or at his house then that's better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message? 

The message is if you're gonna have these clowns leaching off of you for the duration of your career, you better know who's gonna fall on the sword when shlt hits the fan.

Wise advice over drinks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message? 

This is simply not true.  Listen to the entire speech to get the context if you don't believe me.  Crews are not the topic, trouble is the topic:“Because all you guys aren’t going to do the right stuff. I need to teach to you how to get around all of this stuff too. If you have a crew, one of them fools need to know that they’re going to jail. I know a lot of you aren’t going to drink, i know a lot of you aren’t going to use drugs but still get yourself a fall guy.”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Realistically will some of them do stupid crap and get in trouble? Yes. This part of the talk is for those guys. When you do stupid crap at least protect your brand.

the “brand” talk is junk.  if you respect your “brand”, you aint gonna be putting it in dangerous situations.  if you are just out to get yours, YOLO, then dont give me the line about “brand”.your brand is weed?  your brand is guns?  your brand is partying till the sun comes up?  go promote that then.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Listen, if you’re going to run a drug empire in the offseason, all I’m saying is you better have a fall guy.”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Ray Rice…. if she’s getting mouthy, handle that then get you a fall guy. “

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Sapp… If your in a hotel room in Vegas, and the two hookers you ordered won’t accept your Groupon certificates, dropkick the both of them and then get you a fall guy.”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow to some on here is all I can say

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Sapp... If your in a hotel room in Vegas, and the two hookers you ordered won't accept your Groupon certificates, dropkick the both of them and then get you a fall guy."

LMAO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think I have all the attributes of a top shelf fall guy, but I want to make sure I land in a good patsie role.  Is there like a monster.com web service that will help me connect with the right NFL football player?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message? 

Wise advice over drinks.

Exactly!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"Sapp... If your in a hotel room in Vegas, and the two hookers you ordered won't accept your Groupon certificates, dropkick the both of them and then get you a fall guy."

lmao to Groupon certificates!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think I have all the attributes of a top shelf fall guy, but I want to make sure I land in a good patsie role.  Is there like a monster.com web service that will help me connect with the right NFL football player?

Working for St Tebow would be ideal. When one of these play for pay skanks wants the hookup, you take the fall for him and give her what she needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s not the entire speech though. It’s a 90 sec clip. He spoke for like 45 mins from what I heard.I love these threads. The elitists versus the dregs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is pretty much it.  While I don't agree that it is the best advice for these young men, it is advice that a great many men might follow.  It is certainly not the smartest thing to be sharing that advice in a league approved and public forum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well he did drink like a fish for years and years. Brain damaged?That's the only thing I can think of... Because I would HATE to think that Cris Carter is nothing but a phony...a two faced thug wannabe. He might as well start drinking again if he is going to say stupid isht, at least he has an excuse then...Lost so much respect for that kid. Almost all of it. A "Fall-Guy"?  Criminal activity?  Can't take the idiot out of his voice box forever I see.

Drinking was the least of Chris Carter's vices.  From the stories I've been told by guys in the old days, he dealt in more powder than Johnson&Johnson and more blow than Linda Lovelace.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cris Carter won’t be doing any more of these speeches, I imagine…What a dummy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thats not an NFL sponsored message. Plain and simple, if you're there representing the league then that can't be your message.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whats wrong with carter telling it like it is?I mean, when you rob a bank, you really should have a gettaway driver.When you shoot someone, you should always have someone hold the gun afterwards!If your friend OD's, you totally have to kick him out of the car at the ER door!Some of you know nothing about the seedy underbelly of society!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I expect this from Sapp. Not from CC. He has now unleashed another pandoras box of demons to battle with. Let's see how much more he can handle...some guys can't get out of their own way. Carter still has that problem. Giving away this sort of advice is about as asinine as I have ever heard. He lost himself a lot of jobs, and he might have himself a drink tonight, methinks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I expect this from Sapp. Not from CC. He has now unleashed another pandoras box of demons to battle with. Let's see how much more he can handle...some guys can't get out of their own way. Carter still has that problem. Giving away this sort of advice is about as asinine as I have ever heard. He lost himself a lot of jobs, and he might have himself a drink tonight, methinks.

Sapp was like, "wtf, ....we can have FALL GUYS!?"Too bad fall guys dont always work. Like when dna is involved.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10165779-l.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Talk about an identity crisis:  one day Carter is a flaming preacher of righteousness and the next he’s telling rookies to get a fall guy….whew! 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message? 

They should have called on Tony Soprano to make the speech.  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the message? 

They should have called on Tony Soprano to make the speech.  ;)

Nah, Minnesota speakers are always saints.Especially ones who deals drugs on the side.After knowing they had hired and "ex" dealer to talk to their rookies, ive been wondering how screwed up their team is/has been.That should be "soprano" enough for you. LolMoral of the story: never trust anyone who has been to Minnesota.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://deadspin.com/cris-carters-fall-guy-advice-was-kept-off-the-record-1726215757So the league was aware of the comments, and got a journalist not to report on them, but still put the video up on their web page?The NFL said in a statement, "The comment was not representative of the message of the symposium or any other league program. The league's player engagement staff immediately expressed concern about the comment to Cris. The comment was not repeated in the 2014 AFC session or this year's symposium."Oh yes, and they did invite him back and had him speak to both sessions again this year as well. 

Please wait…

Viewing 60 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.