Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• GBOBUCSFAN

Participant

As much as he has to prove, he should have been the best conditioned guy on the squad ! ! http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/06/joe-cullen-daquan-bowers-conditioning-needs-to-improve/  Joe Cullen: Da’Quan Bowers’ conditioning needs to improvePosted by Mike Wilkening on June 6, 2014, 1:30 PM EDTIn many ways, Buccaneers defensive end Da’Quan Bowers has entered a critical stage of his NFL career.Just 24 years old, Bowers is in the final year of his rookie contract. Through three seasons, his NFL run has been marked by injuries, conditioning issues and a lack of pass-rush production (5.5 total sacks). However, he is young, and he was a well-regarded prospect at Clemson, so if were he to stay healthy and show improvement in 2014, he could enter the offseason with increased earning power.However, Bowers’ level of fitness reportedly is once again a concern as the Buccaneers near the end of their offseason workouts.According to the Tampa Tribune, Buccaneers defensive line coach Joe Cullen has indicated that Bowers is not yet in shape after returning from an undisclosed injury.“I see a lot of signs that he can be what everybody thought he was going to when he was coming out of college,” Cullen said, according to the Tribune‘s Roy Cummings. “But again, a lot of that will depend on how he gets into shape and what happens in the preseason.”The key coaching staff and personnel decision-makers in place when Bowers joined Tampa three years ago are gone. If Bowers makes the Buccaneers, it will be because the team believes he can help right now. His 2014 base salary ($900,768, per NFLPA records) is not especially high, which probably doesn’t hurt his cause if the club finds itself left to make a decision on him.Ideally for Bowers, it never gets to that point, with his play and preparation making him a clear-cut member of the roster. But as Cullen noted to the Tribune, Bowers’ summer progress bears watching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After reading the article a few times it really doesn’t sound like Cullen is dissing him, maybe he needs to get in football shape.  I wonder how many guys are in football shape at this point? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He had the same comments made about him last year.  Sounds like he needs a better offseason program or a better commitment. His chances are running out though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“undisclosed injury”?

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

Bowers is one of those guys I have 0 faith in.  Coaches don’t make even slight comments like this if you are busting your ass rehabbing or doing everything physically that you can to improve. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bowers seems to have lost interest in the NFL. He should have figured out by now he’s got a lot of work to be done, and time will soon be running out, if not already…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who isn’t surprised by this?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d keep him, mysteriously he gets injured and on the IR, and then spend the WHOLE year making him look like Tarzan. Then put Mr. Universe on the field one last time next year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd keep him, mysteriously he gets injured and on the IR, and then spend the WHOLE year making him look like Tarzan. Then put Mr. Universe on the field one last time next year.

No thank you. He hasn't done anything for 3 years that will make me believe he'll come back like that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s a waste of a roster spot it’s time to cut this guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's a waste of a roster spot it's time to cut this guy.

I agree but if he isn't producing like a good number 3 DE by the end of the preseason I say time to cut the cord and give that spot to someone else.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bowers was struggling in the footwork drills during the OTA’s too. Looks worse if your out of shape and lacking focus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t see him beating out Johnson, Clayborn, Gholston, and probably not even Means. And, if he can’t be our 3rd DE, we dump his lazy ass. His only hope is that 1 or 2 of the DEs ahead of him gets injured. I think he's more into playing guitar in his gospel group than football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd keep him, mysteriously he gets injured and on the IR, and then spend the WHOLE year making him look like Tarzan. Then put Mr. Universe on the field one last time next year.

The only prob with that scenario is, they would have to resign him to a new contract after this season. And I don't think they are ready for that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Undisclosed” makes it sound like MRSA.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What a tool. Nothing like impressing the new coaching staff by showing up fat and uninspired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn it Bowers, get your shit together!!I was high on Bowers coming out of college. I knew his knee was not going to be an issue and it hasn't been, what I didn't know is that he would continuously come into camp out of shape.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dom set this franchise back with his blunders.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't see him beating out Johnson, Clayborn, Gholston, and probably not even Means. And, if he can't be our 3rd DE, we dump his lazy ass. His only hope is that 1 or 2 of the DEs ahead of him gets injured. I think he's more into playing guitar in his gospel group than football.

CMGcave.man.gospel

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dom set this franchise back with his blunders.

Dom and Dennis Hinkey both.  The irony is one was hired to  be the Dolphins GM after his benefactor was fired,Sad really how out drafting has left the Pewter cupboard bare.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s pretty obvious Bowers has no interest in being a part of this team. I was happy when the Bucs drafted him, but clear a spot on the roster for someone who wants to be here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Time to cut the cord!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree. He’s not long for this team

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy was a big time 5 star recruit who was a one year wonder in college for all the same reasons. 

Please wait…

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.