Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• red816

Participant

According to Schefter on Twitter…Thank God!

No way we could have let this guy go with the defense finally showing promise. Good move by Licht to lock him in.

Some posters had me worried suggesting Hayes or Hoke would have been a good replacement, smh.

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

I was never very concerned about him getting. HC offer.

Please wait…

• Iowabucfan

Participant

He’s a good coach and I’m glad he’s staying.

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

I was never very concerned about him getting. HC offer.

Same.

Hopefully he can get the defense to play at the level it did during the Bucs 5 game win streak throughout the 2017 season.

Please wait…

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Probably gave him the first pick to stay…

Please wait…

• Northern Rep

Participant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/12/buccaneers-extend-contract-of-defensive-coordinator-mike-smith/

Please wait…

• BucsBay

Participant

As well they should.

Please wait…

• Garv

Participant

Hows THAT for great news? Could be the most important of the off-season, certainly is so far. Continuity is that important for a young team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glazers step to the plate and do the right thing. Great way to start the off season.

Please wait…

• leeroybuc93

Participant

Which one of y’all is that calling for Smith to cut Lavonte in the comments on PFT?

Please wait…

• Hayseed

Participant

Continuity. Love it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Which one of y’all is that calling for Smith to cut Lavonte in the comments on PFT?

Lavonte finished the year strong but he has been playing poorly the past two season IMO… again tho, why get rid of him and create another need?

Please wait…

• BP1

Participant

Okay let’s see if I got this right. He agreed to stay one more season, but was already under contract for next season. So his promise to stay one more season got him a few more years on his contract. Is this right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

According to Schefter on Twitter…Thank God! No way we could have let this guy go with the defense finally showing promise. Good move by Licht to lock him in. Some posters had me worried suggesting Hayes or Hoke would have been a good replacement, smh.

Very happy about that. Let there be CONTINUITY for once!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lavonte takes time to adjust to schemes as previously mentioned. Unless if it a Greg Schiano hybrid zone-man defense that went downhill all the time…he was coming on strong after adjusting to yet ANOTHER scheme, and he should play better next year. I worry about the toll his body has paid already, ash he is a physical player with a ton of tackles on a slight frame (for a linebacker). Bucs need backup linebackers in the worst way, imo.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

I was never worried that he would leave for a head coaching job.   For those who were, I hope you learned a lesson in keeping the faith.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d rather have OLine but I could live with a saftey or DLine as well.

Please wait…

• Buc Bauce

Participant

Could be. If you remember when smith and dirk were in Atlanta, it seems smith gave dirk the first round pick of Julio after they had no one else to throw to besides white in the playoffs the previous year. Maybe smith said it was time to repay the favor.

The other side of the coin is that maybe dirk keeps the same mindset and goes for the wr anyways. We shall see.

Please wait…

• freddy

Participant

Could be. If you remember when smith and dirk were in Atlanta, it seems smith gave dirk the first round pick of Julio after they had no one else to throw to besides white in the playoffs the previous year. Maybe smith said it was time to repay the favor. The other side of the coin is that maybe dirk keeps the same mindset and goes for the wr anyways. We shall see.

Or maybe Smith knows that as long as the defense plays well his value will just go up.  I’m sure he is looking for something that fits him vice just taking any HC available. It was reported Smith wanted nothing to do with Bortles, so it sounds like he is giving potential employers conditions.  And I doubt there was a deal to give him the first pick as they have no clue who would be available at 19.  If it was the 6th pick, then maybe. But not with the 19th.  Spending money in FA is a different matter though.  I can see Licht agreeing to get Smith’s prized FA (whoever that is) no matter the cost. Maybe JPP and or Eric Berry?

Please wait…

• RHBucsFan

Participant

best news we could have ever hoped for. Starting the next season with this year’s late season form and no more learning curve. Add a healthy Jaquis Smith and fully healed Ayers and Spence, this defense is going to be bringing it next season.

Please wait…

• Pennywise

Participant

Smith said for the next couple years he will forgo pursuing head coaching jobs to remain in Tampa Bay.

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

Smith said for the next couple years he will forgo pursuing head coaching jobs to remain in Tampa Bay.

Good deal.

Please wait…

• Pennywise

Participant

I am excited about what we are building here in Tampa Bay and would like to thank the Glazer family, Jason Licht and Dirk Koetter for showing faith in what we are doing on the defensive side of the ball,” Smith said. “I think we grew quite a bit as a defense this past season and I look forward to working with my staff and our players to continue building upon what we have started. While I did have a chance to speak with a few organizations about head coaching opportunities earlier this offseason, it became very clear to me that I am in an ideal situation here with the Buccaneers. For the next couple years, I am fully committed and focused on my role with Dirk and the organization and will not be pursuing head coaching opportunities during this time.”

Please wait…

• RHBucsFan

Participant

this news just keeps getting better. Been a very long time since this team has had coaches good enough that we’ve wanted to build off their success from year to year.

Please wait…

• Pennywise

Participant

Tells you the glazers added some digits  to smith’s check, enough so that he openly stated he will not interview for hc jobs over next cpl years

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

I’d guess Smith realized interest in him as HC was luke-warm.  I hope he continues to do well and becomes a Wade Philips or Steve Spagnuolo-type coach.  Those guys are really, really good defensive minds, but nobody really wants to give them a HC job again.

Please wait…

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

It may be that Smith pulled out of the Chargers deal when he found out they weren’t staying in San Diego.

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

Lavonte takes time to adjust to schemes as previously mentioned. Unless if it a Greg Schiano hybrid zone-man defense that went downhill all the time…he was coming on strong after adjusting to yet ANOTHER scheme, and he should play better next year. I worry about the toll his body has paid already, ash he is a physical player with a ton of tackles on a slight frame (for a linebacker). Bucs need backup linebackers in the worst way, imo.

Him having to adjust to new schemes is no excuse. NFL players do it all the time.
      Him taking plays off during games is also no excuse.

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

It may be that Smith pulled out of the Chargers deal when he found out they weren’t staying in San Diego.

Doubt it.

Please wait…

• SO CAL BUC FAN

Participant

Well, truthfully, SD isn’t the best situation for an older experienced head coach! Aging QB, They won’t have their own home, a few names and young players on either side of the ball.

Too many question marks depending on what Spanos does on the financial side and the “Relocation Fee/ Debt financing” could put them out of signing big name FA’s  while having issues keeping their own FA’s, and they may become a younger football team over night….. They may end up paying 55M per year for 10 years on this Relocation/Debt Waiver. That takes away some spending $$$.

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

I love how Mike Smith had his choice of NFL HC opportunities and turned them all down.

The guy clearly wanted to be a HC somewhere.  Anywhere.

Please wait…

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

…and gets a multi-year deal after one season…

Please wait…

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

He’ll be here as long as Koetter is. His head coaching act was on par with Lovie in Chicago. Only in Tampa would you find a franchise so fool hardy to stoke the fires with a hire like that. He’s a coordinator, that’s where he should be.

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

…and gets a multi-year deal after one season…

…as a coordinator….

Please wait…

• Runole

Participant

Hows THAT for great news? Could be the most important of the off-season, certainly is so far. Continuity is that important for a young team.

agree   Great news  Nice promising start for 2017.

Please wait…

• Lawdy

Participant

Bryan Anger.  Check.  Mike Smith.  Check.

Please wait…

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.