Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• buc-in-out

Participant

Have you guys had a look at the depth chart released yesterday?

Happy to see Winnfield has earned the starting job, but another thing I found interesting is SMB is starting over Dean. Does that mean that in base defense he will play outside, but move into the slot in nickel?

Besides that, I think the depth chart is straight forward.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Link?

• RHBucsFan

Participant

• Donkey__Hunter

Spectator

but another thing I found interesting is SMB is starting over Dean. Does that mean that in base defense he will play outside, but move into the slot in nickel?

From what I’ve been reading, that appears to be the case. Despite the fact that Dean is better than SMB on the outside.

• delgreco

Participant

I was also surprised about SMB..but maybe its semantics..as they are on the field so often.

Smart guys chime in

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

SMB over Dean is a head scratcher. Maybe saving face for Licht, since he drafted SMB before Dean in the draft.

Ryan Smith over Motley is very interesting because in this defense, it felt as though Smith was used mainly as a gunner on ST and nothing more. I didn’t hear much about Smith doing anything during preseason, but I did hear Motley’s name often.

Our 2nd line depth chart for our OLine looks disgusting. Haeg is a proven backup entity, but everyone else is… ::: raising shoulders :::

• Roy

Participant

Yes Hockey, I’m sure when doing the depth chart, Bowles said to Licht, “Well what do you think, Jason? How can we make you look good?”

Agree on O-line depth.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Well, if this is the case… that SMB will be playing outside in base defense means he must have had a great camp!

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@Roy wrote:

Yes Hockey, I’m sure when doing the depth chart, Bowles said to Licht, “Well what do you think, Jason? How can we make you look good?”

Stranger things have happened. Remember how long we’ve put up with VH3 being an outside CB when Mike Smith demoted him to slot CB and put Ryan Smith outside? Licht really wanted VH3 to work out in 2018, which is why Licht drafted slot CB MJ Stewart before outside CB Carlton Davis.

If we’re basing off their production last year, Dean is superior to SMB outside.

You’re simply lacking the creativity of possibilities, @Roy. heh

• Buc on the Move

Participant

Yeah, this reeks of draft status and hopefulness. I agree that they will both be on the field a large portion of the time, but the empirical evidence on the field does not seem to back this depth chart up. Granted, we weren’t there to see the training camp, but we’ll see the product on the field soon enough.

Could it be a tackling vs. the run type of thing? Where Dean isn’t as good there and is more of a one/two down DB, similar to LBs who can’t cover or RBs that can’t catch/pass block?

I admit I haven’t really focused on their run stopping abilities/tackling at CB.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

A few times last season Dean really jumped off the screen to me, displaying some real special qualities.

• Bucman

Participant

Really sweating over the 2nd and 3rd CB in todays NFL. Means nothing at all.

• Anonymous

Inactive

SMB can play nickel, and can play boundary. Dean is a boundary corner. So it makes sense because SMB can move around a little more.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

SMB over Dean is a head scratcher. Maybe saving face for Licht, since he drafted SMB before Dean in the draft.

Ryan Smith over Motley is very interesting because in this defense, it felt as though Smith was used mainly as a gunner on ST and nothing more. I didn’t hear much about Smith doing anything during preseason, but I did hear Motley’s name often.

Our 2nd line depth chart for our OLine looks disgusting. Haeg is a proven backup entity, but everyone else is… ::: raising shoulders :::

Dude stfu smh

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

The Dean deal just tells me we don’t have a third LB so we’re gonna play a lot of nickel defense with White and David on the field all game… smfh why does everything have to negative?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.