Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 46 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Derek Carr impressing teams with maturity, football IQBy Josh Sanchez - Jan 26th, 2014 at 1:20 pmcarr_zpsa0269678.jpgJan 25, 2014; Mobile, AL, South squad quarterback Derek Carr of Fresno State (4) walks off the field against the North squad during the first quarter at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. John David Mercer-USA TODAY Sports Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr entered the 2014 Senior Bowl as the top-ranked quarterback in Mobile, Alabama. Throughout the week, Carr impressed NFL scouts and personnel with his play on the field, but that may not even be his greatest asset. According to Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network, a number of teams who spoke with Carr throughout the week came away very impressed with his ”maturity and football intelligence” after interviewing him. To be a successful quarterback in the NFL, you need to have a combination of physical tools and mental strength. There is no denying Carr has the arm talent to attract NFL teams, so the fact that he is doing so well during the interview process and impressing with his one-on-one meetings is a great sign for his draft stock. Carr entered Mobile as a first-round prospect and he has done nothing to hurt that grade. With Teddy Bridgewater likely being the first quarterback off the board, it will all come down to a matter of personal preference when teams are choosing between Carr, UCF’s Blake Bortles and Texas A&M star Johnny Manziel.http://fansided.com/2014/01/26/nfl-draft-rumors-derek-carr-impressing-teams-maturity-football-iq/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS#!tuFQi

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not true.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smoke screening . Everyone is talking up this kid because they don’t want him , lol.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smoke screening . Everyone is talking up this kid because they don't want him , lol.

Exactly.  See Cade Mcnown.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keep Glennon or bring in a VET……..

• Anonymous

Inactive

Big deal. Lots of QBs are mature and intelligent in meetings. What’s important is how mature and intelligent you are when players bigger than you are trying to kill you.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Big deal. Lots of QBs are mature and intelligent in meetings. What's important is how mature and intelligent you are when players bigger than you are trying to kill you.

Yup, Can he read a defense, anticipate throws, etc...

• Anonymous

Inactive

Congrats…in a setting of nearly undraftable QBs…there is one who doesn’t look completely inept.  This QB class is almost looking worse than last years’.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Congrats...in a setting of nearly undraftable QBs...there is one who doesn't look completely inept.  This QB class is almost looking worse than last years'.

Glennon came out of that draft so who knows what happens with this one.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Congrats...in a setting of nearly undraftable QBs...there is one who doesn't look completely inept.  This QB class is almost looking worse than last years'.

Glennon came out of that draft so who knows what happens with this one.

Im still not sold on Glennon, but at the same time Im not ready to pull the plug on him.  Carr is a mid round talent being talked about in the 1st round simply due to the lack of depth in this year's QB class.  That's all I am really saying.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not quite sure why the anti-Carr sentiment? He showed well in the Senior bowl week and the game itself…isn’t that what you use to evaluate a prospect or do you just start with your rejection of the prospect and work backwards?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not quite sure why the anti-Carr sentiment? He showed well in the Senior bowl week and the game itself...isn't that what you use to evaluate a prospect or do you just start with your rejection of the prospect and work backwards?

I cant speak for anyone else, but my anti-Carr sentiment comes from watching his bowl game and then going back through the season noticing similar tendencies he had in those other games against lesser competition that disappeared once he played against good (and I use that term loosely with USC this year) competition.I will be the first person to say I was wrong if he proves me to be so...but I put a lot of stock in that kind of performance against the top tier talents.  For that reason, I am also comfortable with Khalil Mack b/c in the few games against the big boys, he still had dominant performances.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not quite sure why the anti-Carr sentiment? He showed well in the Senior bowl week and the game itself...isn't that what you use to evaluate a prospect or do you just start with your rejection of the prospect and work backwards?

I cant speak for anyone else, but my anti-Carr sentiment comes from watching his bowl game and then going back through the season noticing similar tendencies he had in those other games against lesser competition that disappeared once he played against good (and I use that term loosely with USC this year) competition.I will be the first person to say I was wrong if he proves me to be so...but I put a lot of stock in that kind of performance against the top tier talents.  For that reason, I am also comfortable with Khalil Mack b/c in the few games against the big boys, he still had dominant performances.

I can respect that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just dont understand this hype. He wasnt that impressive because he came in and did exactly what he did at Fresno. Almost entirely passes that are less than 5 yards.

• mditt01

Participant

IDK, maybe it's cause he has the same last name as David? ;)

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just dont understand this hype. He wasnt that impressive because he came in and did exactly what he did at Fresno. Almost entirely passes that are less than 5 yards.

0:53 mark is 50yds in the airhttp://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFLN-Derek-Carr-Senior-Bowl-Highlights/4e457bf8-71a0-4a6c-a6df-b184bfb43dba

• Anonymous

Inactive

0:53 mark is 50yds in the airhttp://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFLN-Derek-Carr-Senior-Bowl-Highlights/4e457bf8-71a0-4a6c-a6df-b184bfb43dba

If that is a highlight reel to endorse him as the next level I would not bite.  He can throw a screen - which is awesome but man, just nothing there to indicate he's a starter in the NFL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kyle Boller could throw 50 yards on one knee...look at how well that skill translated to the NFL

• Anonymous

Inactive

good post

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is all well and good.IMO - Carr has too many question marks for me  to pick at 7 (as do all of the QB's in this class with the only exception being TB.) Carr would be a good value in the second at number 38.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know he can throw far, and his deep ball accuracy isnt bad. Neither was Tebows, or Josh Freemans. But right now the fact is all he does is throw mainly screens all game long. Which is what he did in the senior bowl as well. He actually has shown poor accuracy when it comes to 10-15 yard passes. Im not even saying he's bad or good. He may be amazing, but in the offense he ran at Fresno, I dont see how a team could draft him to be the day one starter with confidence.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kyle Boller could throw 50 yards on one knee...look at how well that skill translated to the NFL

I'm not his agent or family member...just think he's getting a bad rap without a true accounting of what he can do. That's all well and good...I suppose we'll find out what the "experts" think of him in a couple months.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Idk I’m still trying to figure out why all the hate for Carr just like another poster said before me. All he’s done is just move up draft boards the last two months. How some ppl are so quick to condemn carr but then in the same breath say keep glennon in there but bring in competition is kind of silly to me. If glennon was so good shouldnt he have shot up draft boards last year? Now that’s a terrible qb class. Argue about this one all you want when it comes to how good its/isn’t but it’s better then last year that’s for sure and glennon couldn’t even move up then. I’m not a huge Carr fan but I’m not opposed to taking him if this staff thinks he’s a good fit.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not cute enough.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Last year’s QB class was garbage.  The 2014 QB class is better by leaps and bounds (arguably 2015 may be up on par or even better than 2014).If the Bucs are to take a QB, 2014 is their best chance IMO. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Idk I'm still trying to figure out why all the hate for Carr just like another poster said before me. All he's done is just move up draft boards the last two months. How some ppl are so quick to condemn carr but then in the same breath say keep glennon in there but bring in competition is kind of silly to me. If glennon was so good shouldnt he have shot up draft boards last year? Now that's a terrible qb class. Argue about this one all you want when it comes to how good its/isn't but it's better then last year that's for sure and glennon couldn't even move up then. I'm not a huge Carr fan but I'm not opposed to taking him if this staff thinks he's a good fit.

I don't like Carr...but Im not opposed to taking him.  Im just opposed to taking him at #7.  But, Im also against taking any QB this year short of Teddy at #7.  This is not out of love for Glennon, because I am still in wait and see mode, but I think we get better value taking someone else there.

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1 Come On

• Anonymous

Inactive

Honestly, that’s where he lost me. I was high onCarr up to the senior bowl, but wanted to see him push the ball. That didn’t happen. Just more short throws. I’ve changed my mind and wouldn’t touch him before R2.

• Anonymous

Inactive

That is the thing.  Is there a clear distinction between the talent Glennon has shown, In that crapheap offense, run by a fossil brained dino-coach with hardly any offensive talent and a pathetic offensive line (in general)?Is Carr that much better than Glennon?I think not.But I can understand why the Bucs would be sniffing around that hydrant.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Idk I'm still trying to figure out why all the hate for Carr just like another poster said before me. All he's done is just move up draft boards the last two months. How some ppl are so quick to condemn carr but then in the same breath say keep glennon in there but bring in competition is kind of silly to me. If glennon was so good shouldnt he have shot up draft boards last year? Now that's a terrible qb class. Argue about this one all you want when it comes to how good its/isn't but it's better then last year that's for sure and glennon couldn't even move up then. I'm not a huge Carr fan but I'm not opposed to taking him if this staff thinks he's a good fit.

I don't like Carr...but Im not opposed to taking him.  Im just opposed to taking him at #7.  But, Im also against taking any QB this year short of Teddy at #7.  This is not out of love for Glennon, because I am still in wait and see mode, but I think we get better value taking someone else there.

Ah ok that makes sense so if wed move down to say 16 and took Carr ud be fine with it. Not the player it's the spot that turns u off of the pick I can understand that. Still takes two to tango. And it's not like glennon has lit the world on fire. If glennon is just decent  this year then we run the risk of being stuck in that middle portion where were good enough to compete but not good enough to do anything or make the playoffs. A qb has to be taken this year imo if the staff doesn't think glennon is the guy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This QB class isn’t just Bridgewater (#1 QB IMO).I find the argument that the Bucs offense would not improve in offensive ranking (32nd) with Bortles/Manziel/Carr/Garropolo leading the way mind boggling.  Then there is Mettenberg, Murray and McCaron with Fales too. I like Glennon but I am not fool...there are QB's that are potentially better than Glennon in this draft.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This QB class isn't just Bridgewater (#1 QB IMO).I find the argument that the Bucs offense would not improve in offensive ranking (32nd) with Bortles/Manziel/Carr/Garropolo leading the way mind boggling.  Then there is Mettenberg, Murray and McCaron with Fales too. I like Glennon but I am not fool...there are QB's that are potentially better than Glennon in this draft.

I blame the coaching staff for a ton of the issues.  Glennon did fairly well, playing in a tornado of crap.Again, is Carr that much better than Glennon?  At pick 7, he damn well better be.  No hesitation.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This QB class isn't just Bridgewater (#1 QB IMO).I find the argument that the Bucs offense would not improve in offensive ranking (32nd) with Bortles/Manziel/Carr/Garropolo leading the way mind boggling.  Then there is Mettenberg, Murray and McCaron with Fales too. I like Glennon but I am not fool...there are QB's that are potentially better than Glennon in this draft.

It's not whether or not you think you can find someone better.  The question is, are they that much better that you would potentially miss out on a position where we could really improve next year.  Next year's QB's are a ton better and I think Glennon has earned (rookie of the month in November) a second year of evaluation.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carr is better than Glennon. No hesitation.