Monday, October 21, 2019

Details of Devin White's illness

This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  VirgilCaine Sep. 12, 2019 at 5:55 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

tpeluso
    Participant

https://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/22820/bucs-rookie-devin-white-sets-tone-by-playing-through-tonsillitis

Lost 10 pounds in a week because he couldn’t swallow. Needed 5 IV’s in two days because he wasn’t able to hydrate properly. Needed minor surgery in the middle of the week. Didn’t miss a single practice despite a heat index in excess of 110 degrees. Had to call the defense while barely being able to speak.

People need to back the F off that he didn’t light up the stat sheet on Sunday. Hopefully we hear his name a lot more tonight.

+40
    Rating: +37. From 43 votes.
    Please wait...

GBOBUCSFAN
    Participant

Not Ronnie Lott level but dammmmmn, that boy is tough.

+8
    Rating: +6. From 10 votes.
    Please wait...

buc_boi
    Participant

I’d like to believe all that, but blaming everything on the general manager is way a more convenient excuse…

/blue font

+6
    Rating: -6. From 18 votes.
    Please wait...

Bootz2004
    Participant

Most people wouldn’t have been able to go to their 9-5. Let alone play football.

+22
    Rating: +21. From 23 votes.
    Please wait...

3SK

Devin had 6 combined tackles, 4 solo on Sunday which was the third most on the team. The two players ahead of him were Lavonte David & Jordan Whitehead respectively who both looked sharp. He actually quietly put up an okay game, despite having a significant illness. (Tonsillitis)

We like the splash plays though; like the big open field tackles, the quarterback sacks, the forced fumbles and the interceptions. I hope that we see some of that this year, I like to believe its coming. Maybe tonight?

+11
    Rating: +11. From 11 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  3SK.

Butters
    Participant

As ‘tough’ as it is to play sick… is it really the best idea?

Would you rather have the backup at 100% or the starter running around at 60%? He didn’t perform well so it’s not like he sucked it up and went out and kicked butt. It’s distinctly possible that we would have been better off without him out there in his degraded state.

+7
    Rating: +5. From 9 votes.
    Please wait...

TBayXXXVII
    Participant

I heard about this last Thursday. Was curious as to why people here were trashing his play. Didn’t know the word traveled down to Tampa that slowly.

+5
    Rating: +4. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Alldaway 2.0
    Participant

White has been solid up to this point by lining everyone up without LVD for all of the pre season.  But I think people want to see that Devin White’s neutralizing speed against the Panthers.  Lets hope it is tonight!

+4
    Rating: +3. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

BucsBay
    Participant

Devin White needs to be able to tackle McCaffery and Kamara in space. That’s the reason he was drafted where he was. I’ll give the guy some time to improve his angles, especially calling plays, especially playing through that. Still, dude needs to make some plays tonight. He has the physical talent. It’s on Bowles to put him in position to succeed as well.

+6
    Rating: +6. From 6 votes.
    Please wait...

Alldaway 2.0
    Participant

Devin White needs to be able to tackle McCaffery and Kamara in space. That’s the reason he was drafted where he was. I’ll give the guy some time to improve his angles, especially calling plays, especially playing through that. Still, dude needs to make some plays tonight. He has the physical talent. It’s on Bowles to put him in position to succeed as well.

Yup.  I am in agreement 100%.  White has to show the one thing he can do very well and that is run and track down the ball carrier.   White shows that and the front seven becomes even more potent.  We know what Vea, Gholston, Suh can do along with LVD, Nassib and Barrett.  White was drafted to be the crown jewel of the front seven and he needs to rise up to those lofty standards.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

JC5100
    Participant

Must have been sick at LSU too.

+3
    Rating: -4. From 10 votes.
    Please wait...

RHBucsFan
    Participant

Well, in defense of those that criticized his play on Sunday, this info want known at the time.
    I’ll give him a pass obviously, serious stuff he was fighting through

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

Watchman
    Participant

https://www.espn.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/22820/bucs-rookie-devin-white-sets-tone-by-playing-through-tonsillitis

Lost 10 pounds in a week because he couldn’t swallow. Needed 5 IV’s in two days because he wasn’t able to hydrate properly. Needed minor surgery in the middle of the week. Didn’t miss a single practice despite a heat index in excess of 110 degrees. Had to call the defense while barely being able to speak.

People need to back the F off that he didn’t light up the stat sheet on Sunday. Hopefully we hear his name a lot more night.

That is very impressive.

It does beg the question – exactly how crappy is Devin White’s backup, that the team still rolled him out there in that condition.  LOL

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

Nobody
    Participant

Criticism is often just “analysis person x doesn’t like”.

If Devin was this ill and that was causal for his ineffectiveness (the exact same types of ineffectiveness that I covered in my breakdown of his play at LSU which gave me pause in projecting him, and exactly what we saw in the preseason) then he should NOT have been playing. It isn’t heroic to compromise your defense because you’re compromised. And it’s not good coaching to put a player in position where he has to voluntarily “tap out.” White is NOT the kind of guy who is going to beg out of a game so this is on the coaches.

For the sake of White and the sake of the team, LVD should have played the Middle and Bucannon the Moe.

+6
    Rating: +4. From 8 votes.
    Please wait...

Jed
    Participant

I heard about this last Thursday. Was curious as to why people here were trashing his play. Didn’t know the word traveled down to Tampa that slowly.

If you had all these details last Thursday why didn’t you share it with the rest of us? All we knew was he was ill. This was on the injury report.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.